CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2973030-where-to-get-a-transverse-leaf-spring-compressor-for-rear-spring-on-93-vert.html)

dizwiz24 12-27-2011 10:44 PM

where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)

Just curious...is this a regular 'loaner-type' tool from autozone or is this something special?

What did you use?

rodj 12-27-2011 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1579580953)
What did you use?

Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount

Churchkey 12-27-2011 10:56 PM

Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.

Churchkey 12-27-2011 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by rodj (Post 1579580993)
Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount

Respectfully disagree.

The spring hangs from the carrier. Raising the carrier places a heavier load on the spring.

cadmaniac 12-28-2011 07:33 AM

Yes, put the rear of the car (frame supported)on jack stangs, the lift one end on the spring to relieve tension with the floor jack. Loosen the nut (after taking the cotter pin out) and when the floor jack is let down the end of the spring will be loose too.:iagree:

jaa1992 12-28-2011 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Churchkey (Post 1579581026)
Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.

:iagree:

Thats the way I've done it every time I've had to do something with the spring or knuckle that required the spring bolts to come out.

armysnipe 12-28-2011 09:28 AM

I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!

dizwiz24 12-28-2011 09:55 AM

OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?

What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .

jaa1992 12-28-2011 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1579583134)
OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?

What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .

Since I was putting it back together by myself I bolted the center section back to the carrier while it was supported by a jack (forget which one I used, probably the floor jack) then used the block of wood and jack to get the bolt on a couple threads, then did the other side.
Then run the nut up to the desired position. voila - no reall muss, fuss or other issues

383vett 12-28-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by armysnipe (Post 1579582920)
I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!

I'm sure the 20 ton jacks worked well. Lighter, smaller, less expensive 1 ton bottle jacks or a small floor jack with a wood block will work also and be easier to handle and be less expensive. I think the 20 ton jacks are used for lifting houses. :yesnod: