CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] 10.71 130.32 -- New Record Pass by Bone-Stock C6 Z06 on Drag Radials (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2965007-10-71-130-32-new-record-pass-by-bone-stock-c6-z06-on-drag-radials.html)

Ranger 12-13-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Joe_G (Post 1579458097)
A technical question please. Was that burnout on cold (ambient) tires, or was that a 'warm' lap on semi heated tires? 2nd gear or first? Have you ever checked the tire temp post burnout with an infrared temp gun?

The burnout was relatively short in duration, compared to my standard, thus my question. I am thinking I may try a shorter burnout to keep some heat out of my clutch.

I'm still learning the Hoosiers, but already know well the LS7 clutch. Heat and induced slippage at elevated rpm diminish (temporarily) the clamping power of the stock clutch. I've learned to not aggravate that with burnout errors.

That's especially important when hot-lapping or running with just brief cool-downs.

The burnout shown in the video was second one in three minutes but it would have been fine on the first pass too. It was second gear to about 6500. I didn't use the brake and allowed the tires to spin at the hit of the clutch and then slip against the rubber surface as I moved the car left into the racing groove at the left edge of the launch area.

Our video shooter (Joley) was abound 24 inches from the side of the car as it passed her. That's why she draws hazardous duty pay. Note in the video, she didn't so much as flinch in framing the shot.

Haven't measured the tire temp post-burnout. That's easier done with a crew, which I lack.

Finally, every tire type has a personality. I'm still learning the Hoosiers. They are dead hooking on me. And raising the launch rpm is costing the rest of the stock guys a clamping force penalty down track, at least that's what I see in studying their time slip incrementals (calculated).

Ranger

LS1LT1 12-13-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 1579458268)
It's an honor to have the opportunity to show the capabilities that GM engineers, Wixom master craftsmen, GM Powertrain and BG plant workers have designed and built into the LS7 and Z06. As Kyle Lemish has done with the LS9 and ZR1.

On the trip to Maryland from Florida, my 2006 Z06's interior was cubed out with track gear (including the drag radials) and audio/video equipment but still managed to deliver 28.5 mpg. Amazing.

Unload the gear and strap on the DRs and she ran well into the 10s. Zora is smiling.

:iagree: :chevy :flag: :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 1579458366)
Put the car on the scale before first pass wearing drag radials and the stock fronts; it weighed 3250 pounds with driver, helmet, cell phone, a 23-ounce water bottle and normal pocket litter.

Oh man, I would've left the phone, water and keys/wallet/pocket change over by the fence, could've been a 10.710! :willy: :D ;)

robz 12-13-2011 10:45 AM

Great job John. It's nice to have you around. Looking forward to hanging out more in the future.

Fartpipe 12-13-2011 11:03 AM

I'd be your wing man/crew any day Ranger ;) Especially after you found my sweet spot on Sunday :) :) :)

jtfx 12-13-2011 11:49 AM

If you get a rental together before Christmas, can I be in on it? Let me know, PM is fine....

gamebred26 12-13-2011 04:38 PM

so no weight reduction? not tuned either right? pump gas 93?

D-Rod 12-13-2011 04:58 PM

Ranger, will you ask Joley if she will marry me? :) haha Seriously though, not many girls like that around. Very sweet girl that knows her sh$t.

Fartpipe 12-13-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by D-Rod (Post 1579462827)
Ranger, will you ask Joley if she will marry me? :) haha Seriously though, not many girls like that around. Very sweet girl that knows her sh$t.

Off topic loser!!! Plus she said you smelled like cheese!

Ranger.... whats next????

GARY2004Z06 12-13-2011 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by gamebred26 (Post 1579462664)

Bonestock means off the showroom floor. Yes, 93 octane. I'd give the brand but that's top secret. :rofl:

Ranger 12-13-2011 06:27 PM

Got an email seeking a post on predicting weather for the track....My reply.

1. The place to measure the DA is at the track. DragTimes uses town names associated with tracks. For Maryland International Raceway, DT uses Mechanicsville, which is 17 miles from MIR. Useless.

2. The NWS measures air temperature at a spot 10 meters above the ground. That’s more than 9 meters above the air intake of your car's engine. The correct place to measure air temp is at intake height. There, the temp is affected by the heat soak (hot or cold) of the racing surface.

3. You get more accurate readings all round by focusing on "dew point" rather than humidity. Humidity rises and falls with air temp. Dew point remains much steadier from the shade to the racing surface. And does not change significantly through the day.

4. If you want better weather to run in at the track, learn to interpret the forecasts; subscribe to a proprietary weather service during the racing season. Learn about the barometric forecasts (surface maps).

5. The factors to know are track altitude (Google Earth, drop the cursor on the start and finish lines, average the two), air temp at inlet height on the racing surface, dew point, and barometric pressure.

6. Learn the difference between barometric pressure and station pressure.

7. Circling a date on the calendar and hoping the weather will be race-worthy let alone favorable is a recipe for disappointment.

8. If the racing surface doesn't reach 45 degrees or higher, traction will be uneven or below average, or dangerous. So full sun is a real blessing to warm the track.

9. If you’re serious about understanding the impact of weather, buy a small hand-held weather station. Kestrel 4250 (Their term: Racing Weather Tracker) is used by a number of NHRA crew chiefs to make last-minute tune decisions during final stage of the racecar. It costs about $250; less if you shop comparatively.

10. Actual air temp at intake height on the racing surface on Dec 11th at MIR was 44-45 from 11 a.m. to about 3.30 p.m. At that point the sun was partially obscured by a stand of trees and the air temp dropped as did that of the racing surface. Absent the sun load, the track surface shed 10 degrees in less than one-hour. No one ran a strong pass after that. Track surface got too cold.

Ranger

thumperZ06 12-13-2011 07:13 PM

Excellent

Congrats John,

great run as you know and We acknowledge your skill:thumbs:

ThumperZ06:flag:

Dr.Ron 12-13-2011 08:18 PM

Congrats on a fine pass Ranger! I for one know EXACTY how difficult it is to shed even a couple of hundredths off at this kind of ET!

It seems you made a lot of progress in learning the Hoosiers. Better then when we were at Atco! You DO need to throw more launch RPM at them, which we know you do NOT like to do. Obviously by your results though, it is not a taxing event. ; )
What rear PSI did you use on this pass? What launch RPM did you settle on?

I agree with you that a 10.67-10.69 IS possible, but it would take a perfect pass in perfect weather/track prep conditions. This is an ambitious goal for the C6Z06 world, but a fun one to aspire to.

Stop raising the bar, will you! lol

Hoping to race again soon with you and "the guys" at MIR.

Ron

Ranger 12-13-2011 08:41 PM

Thanks, Dr.Ron.

I just kept trying to remember, faster on the clutch and faster on the throttle. Practicing launch drills. Launch rpm was 4K at the hit. Rear psi on the Hoosiers was 25.

On the lower limit of a bone stock C6Z on DR, I see a path to
1.55 60'
2.94 60'-330'
4.49 330'
6.17 330'-1320'
10.66 1320'

My pass of 10.71 had all the numbers except the 60', where it was shy by 0.05.

You've done the 1.55; so it's possible. I've done the 2.94 and 6.17; so they're possible. Question outstanding is, can the components come together in one pass.

Only one way to find out. All the guys running this sub-category staying in the pursuit. :thumbs::cheers:

Ranger

C5 Frank 12-13-2011 08:45 PM

Congrats Ranger!!! You told me the weather would support 10.70s.... I expected no less from you even if not quite up to snuff. If it wasnt 15+ hours away, I sure would have made an effort to get there. Down here in S.FL the weather has been poor for drag racing records. I went out with a track rental and the DA was +1200....
I can understand the trip to MIR for sure.
Thank you for showing all of us C6 Z06 guys what these cars can do. :thumbs:

C5 Frank 12-13-2011 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger (Post 1579464867)
Only one way to find out. All the guys running this sub-category staying in the pursuit. :thumbs::cheers:

Ranger

:thumbs:

Kyle Lemish 12-13-2011 08:53 PM

Thanks, Dr.Ron.

I just kept trying to remember, faster on the clutch and faster on the throttle. Practicing launch drills. Launch rpm was 4K at the hit. Rear psi on the Hoosiers was 25.

1.55 60'
2.94 60'-330'
4.49 330'
6.17 330'-1320'
10.66 1320'

You've done the 1.55; so it's possible. I've done the 2.94 and 6.17; so they're possible. Question outstanding is, can the components come together in one pass.

Ranger

Im going to play devils advocate for just a second....... The one flaw in this logic is sometimes you need a little slower 60' to achieve those faster splits later down the track. The slower 60' time can actually be carrying more speed into the rest of the run. (Jamie's best passes in most manual cars useually have slower 60's with great et's) essentially why rons trap speeds dont equal rangers and conversly why rangers 60's havent matched rons on pb runs......2 great drivers ....2 differnent ways of achieving results!

WayneCar 12-13-2011 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gamebred26 (Post 1579462664)

Ranger does NOT play games. The pass was made with a combination
of good air, good track prep and GREAT driving.
Congratulations again John! It was great seeing you again and watching
some fantastic driving.
Wayne

dgdoc 12-13-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Kyle Lemish (Post 1579464980)
Im going to play devils advocate for just a second....... The one flaw in this logic is sometimes you need a little slower 60' to achieve those faster splits later down the track. The slower 60' time can actually be carrying more speed into the rest of the run. (Jamie's best passes in most manual cars useually have slower 60's with great et's) essentially why rons trap speeds dont equal rangers and conversly why rangers 60's havent matched rons on pb runs......2 great drivers ....2 differnent ways of achieving results!

Kyle - Interesting theory, certainly one we've heard many times before.
My opinion is I don't believe the math supports that going slower at the beginning of a race will somehow yield faster increments later down the track.

Fact is, going faster sooner gives you the best possible chance to hit each point at the track at a higher velocity. A slower 60' time in most cases means that you are going to hit the 60' mark at a slower velocity -- and that's just not going to help achieve a higher velocity at the end of the track.

This doesn't mean that the scenario you described can't happen - just not very likely.

There can be multiple factors why Ranger has a higher MPH than Dr. Ron (or for that matter, any other driver in a bone stock C6Z) Certainly, even the best drivers will have differences in driving technique - aside from differences in launch technique, shift technique, with subtle differences in clutch-throttle timing and synchronization will certainly not be the same between drivers (especially true if not power-shifting).

This is probably a good topic for another discussion and really want to keep this thread on point --> That is, spectacular driving and an incredible achievement that we are all proud of.

:cheers:

Dr.Ron 12-14-2011 02:29 AM

Thanks, Dr.Ron.

1.55 60'
2.94 60'-330'
4.49 330'
6.17 330'-1320'
10.66 1320'

Ranger

How about I drive the 1st 1/8th and you drive the rest!:lol:
Dr.Ron
1.555 60'
2.929 60'-330'
4.492 330'
6.916 1/8
Ranger
1/8 @104.03:eek:
6.17 330'-1320'
10.65@130.91

:flag:

Ron

Ranger 12-14-2011 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by GARY2004Z06 (Post 1579458396)
Congrats John. Stellar driving. :cheers: Thanks for putting this together. Your assistance and observations at the line were greatly appreciated. It's amazing how much "stuff" you can pack into your car for that long trip. Your attention to detail and preparedness is astounding. This is a pearl of wisdom for all who seek to extract the most from their setups. Thanks for unselfishly assisting the entire Corvette Community by providing tutelage for those who seek knowledge. Knowledge is Power. The last couple weeks of racing have been enjoyable to which I say thanks. :flag:

Thanks for the great day, Gary, and for your kind remarks. Looking forward to my next adventures with you at Atco and MIR in fall, 2012. :cheers:

Ranger