CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Where do the brake pad clips go? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2946123-where-do-the-brake-pad-clips-go.html)

Bowtieguy54 11-08-2011 01:01 PM

Where do the brake pad clips go?

I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?

cdkcorvette7 11-08-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Bowtieguy54 (Post 1579165195)
I am about to install a set of GM performace front brake calipers & pads. The pads came with a bag of hardware. I know where 4 of the clips go - each end of the abutment brackets but there are 2 other clips. I believe they are squeal clips but I can not tell where they go from the instructions provided. Can ayone provide a picture or explain in detail where this clip goes and what it does? Is it really necessary?

If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?

gotz06? 11-08-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdkcorvette7 (Post 1579165949)
If they are what I think they are they clip to the brake pads positioned such that the piston contacts the metal guard instead of the back of the actual pad. Do you have a picture?

I agree

CHJ In Virginia 11-08-2011 04:25 PM

The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.

Bowtieguy54 11-09-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia (Post 1579166914)
The third clip goes on the inside of the caliper. Look at it and you will see two small "arms" about 3/16" long pushed out from the rounded side of the clip. These locate the clip on the inside of the caliper. It will snap in place with a little pressure. This clip keeps the pads pushed all the way down and help alleviate squeel.

Very nice explanation - thanks for the help!

$$$frumnuttin' 11-09-2011 12:49 PM

just pop the other wheel off and look at it for guidance...:thumbs:

EC-C4 01-10-2018 09:48 PM

Hello I hope I haven't missed the boat on this thread. I am replacing the front pads and calipers on my 86 there are abutment clips that came with the hardware kit I am having the same issue as the original post here. I cannot for the life of me figure where these clips go. I pulled the other side off and both sides did not have these. If someone can please help I would appreciate it.