CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Convertible top hatch strut installation. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2913164-convertible-top-hatch-strut-installation.html)

Ultimate ride 09-14-2011 03:54 PM

Convertible top hatch strut installation.

My vert top hatch struts needed replaced as the hatch would no longer stay up by itself. I did a search on changing them, but wasn't satisfied with the results I got. So, here is how I changed them.

1. Open the trunk. Look under the sides and you will see the struts.
2. Pry off both the spring clips with a screwdriver or scratch awl.
3. Close the trunk.
4. Open the top hatch and prop it up in the fully raised position. The strut is now in the fully extended position and not under pressure.
5. Reach down and pull the strut off the ball joints.
6. Close the top hatch.
7. Open the trunk and snap the new strut on the aftermost ball joint, making sure that the rod end is positioned toward the front of the car.
8. Close the trunk.
9. Open the top hatch and snap the rod end on the forward ball joint.
The hatch will now stand up by itself.
10. Repeat for the other side.

Once I figured this method out, it took less than 5 minutes to complete the job. I didn't take any pictures, but when you look under the sides of the trunk, it is all pretty obvious.

Vettmann17 09-14-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ultimate ride (Post 1578697941)
My vert top hatch struts needed replaced as the hatch would no longer stay up by itself. I did a search on changing them, but wasn't satisfied with the results I got. So, here is how I changed them.

3. Close the trunk.
4. Open the top hatch and prop it up in the fully raised position. The strut is now in the fully extended position and not under pressure.
6. Close the top hatch.
7. Open the trunk and snap the new strut on the aftermost ball joint, making sure that the rod end is positioned toward the front of the car.
8. Close the trunk.

Once I figured this method out, it took less than 5 minutes to complete the job. I didn't take any pictures, but when you look under the sides of the trunk, it is all pretty obvious.

Thanks for the writeup, hopefully mine will last the life of the car but if they go it's good to know it's not a hard job. :thumbs:

Kevin Kuse 09-14-2011 04:19 PM

That is what worked for me. Doing it like that you don't have to compress the struts, Quick & Easy ! :thumbs:

tsbbzm 09-14-2011 07:43 PM

I need to do this, where did you get the struts and about what did they cost?

Kevin Kuse 09-14-2011 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by tsbbzm (Post 1578699975)
I need to do this, where did you get the struts and about what did they cost?

part number 10275941.
Chevy Dealer approx $20ea.
:thumbs:

Ultimate ride 09-14-2011 11:28 PM

GM Parts House. About $20 ea.

CPhelps 09-15-2011 09:51 PM

Seeing this thread the other day reminded me I need to change mine, thanks for the write up Ultimate, and thanks for the part number, Kevin! Just bought them from Gene at GM Parts House, $23.18 each.

tsbbzm 09-19-2011 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Kuse (Post 1578701956)
part number 10275941.
Chevy Dealer approx $20ea.
:thumbs:

Thax!:D

fendermender 09-19-2011 09:27 AM

I need these also. Yesterday I decide to have a look see since I have an extra set off a Grand Prix trunk lid. I ended up crawling into the trunk with my legs hanging out. For a while I tought I was stuck in there.:ack: BTW, the GP ones are too long.:(

Thanks for listing the procedure.

hzz 04-23-2012 10:37 PM

I am getting ready to do this job on my 2003

One question....on the sides of the trunk there are black plastic covers that cover the struts...do they just pull straight off or is there any trick to removing them?

Just want to be sure before I break anything.:thumbs:

hzz 04-25-2012 03:07 PM

Anybody?

Kevin Kuse 04-25-2012 03:16 PM

On my 98 I did as described below and there were no covers in the way!

3. Close the trunk.
6. Close the top hatch.
8. Close the trunk.

Oldvetter 04-25-2012 06:20 PM

I just replaced the struts on my 1998 hood. The hood wouldn't stay open this winter, when it was cold.

Ron222 04-25-2012 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by hzz (Post 1580635857)
I am getting ready to do this job on my 2003

One question....on the sides of the trunk there are black plastic covers that cover the struts...do they just pull straight off or is there any trick to removing them?

Just want to be sure before I break anything.:thumbs:

Did mine a few months back on my '04 vert, used the same procedure as outlilned above and didn't have a problem. Ordered the struts from this link ( http://stores.ebay.com/Lift-Supports...id=p4340.l2563 ). I ordered the ones manufactured by STABILUS (when you remove yours you'll notice STABILUS is the manufacturer that supplied them to GM (at least on my '04, their name is right on the strut) the only difference between the two is that the stabilus has a black cylinder and black plunger, same as OEM, the Strong Arm ones have a black cylinder and a chrome plunger. I received my order in a few days...no problems at all....and the best part is they have a
Lifetime Warranty and I got 2 for $25.00. :woohoo:
They fit perfectly. Hope this helps

WildWolf 04-25-2012 08:41 PM

Just ordered a set. This forum shows me how to spend money like nothing I have ever seen :smash:

hzz 04-25-2012 09:00 PM

Just ordered a set:thumbs::thumbs:

Ron222 04-25-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by hzz (Post 1580652098)
Just ordered a set:thumbs::thumbs:

Originally Posted by WildWolf (Post 1580651903)
Just ordered a set. This forum shows me how to spend money like nothing I have ever seen :smash:

Glad I could help

fendermender 04-26-2012 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by WildWolf (Post 1580651903)

:iagree:

Ordered a set this morning.

azer666 05-17-2012 03:41 PM

Great post! Ordered and waiting to install.

Praetorian27 05-20-2012 09:04 AM

Anyone take pics during their install?