CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Just cancelled carlisle trip (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2900706-just-cancelled-carlisle-trip.html)

19vette91 08-25-2011 04:15 PM

Just cancelled carlisle trip

Sorry to say, but there will be 2 less zo6 corvettes going to Carlisle this year. This is the only event I have ever driven my corvette in the rain on purpose, but not this time. Latest Irene report has it hitting NJ saturday afternoon and then gets much worse. If you plan on leaving Carlisle sat evening or sunday to beat the hurricane home, your in for the scarriest ride of your life!!! 100mph winds, debris flying onto your vette, flooding, downded trees and wires. I love Carlisle, but its not worth risking my baby or my life. I was there for the big storm a few years ago and witnessed all the destruction. That was nothing compared to whats coming our way now! Call me a wimp, but I've lived down south before and have witnessed quite a few hurricanes and this one ranks as one of the largest. For those of you who are still going, I hope the Corvette Gods protect you and help you and your vette make it home safely!!!

BWF07 08-25-2011 04:46 PM

You are no wimp, but instead someone with some comon sense. I live in Florida and Cat 2 storm is nothing to driving around in. Stay safe my friend.

1SGRET 08-25-2011 04:53 PM

Don't feel bad...I did too and I was coming from Arkansas to display mine in the Blue Vette Corral. Didn't want to take a chance. it'll be there next year! :thumbs:

meflyfrc 08-25-2011 04:55 PM

You WIMP
Wise Intelligent Minded Person :D

Caesar68 08-25-2011 04:55 PM

Sorry about your trip.
Hurricanes are no joke.

Yesterday was the 19th anniversary of hurricane Andrew here in Miami.
Some neighborhoods were totally destroyed. Very scary.

cdnguyred88 08-25-2011 04:59 PM

You never mess with Mother Nature, she always wins...

srs244 08-25-2011 05:06 PM

living in the middle of hurricane alley, in south florida i concur. if you haven't ever been involved in one of nature's meanest happenings, you have no idea how bad it can be. nothing wimpy about your decision. right now the winds are blowing and it is raining so hard you can't see anything out the windows and we are only getting the fringes of the outer bands of irene. not even what is considered a tropical storm.

ncred02 08-25-2011 05:08 PM

smart move. i hope they are wrong about this one

FRED HAMBLE 08-25-2011 05:14 PM

I second your decision. Cancelled my trip to Carlisle too.
Daughter was having a hard time getting out of Fla to go with me.

Fred

corvettezman 08-25-2011 05:17 PM

Don't blame you one bit. Stay safe up north :thumbs:

Bill Vett 08-25-2011 05:31 PM

TRENTON, N.J. - August 25, 2011 (WPVI) -- A mandatory evacuation of Cape May County has been ordered starting at 8:00 a.m. Friday. There are some 800,000 people in Cape May County. A voluntary evacuation is in effect right now for Cape May County and other coast areas.

"Do not try to ride it out. It is not the smart thing to do," Gov. Chris Christie told a news conference Thursday at the State Police Regional Operations Intelligence Center.

He also told people who had been planning to visit the shore this weekend to stay home: "Do not go," he said.

He said it was especially important visitors leave the state's barrier islands. He and his family were leading by example, leaving the governor's summer residence on Island Beach State Park on Thursday.

jol 08-25-2011 05:38 PM

I just cancelled. What a lousy feeling but at least we'll be safe. Can't wait until next year!!!!

JW Motorsports 08-25-2011 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by corvettezman (Post 1578519353)
Don't blame you one bit. Stay safe up north :thumbs:

:iagree: always best to be safe

19vette91 08-25-2011 06:35 PM

After reading the other posts, i feel much better about my decision. Already made reservations with the hotel that we stay at for next year. They said they are getting other cancellations as well. See ya'll next year!:cheers:

s'noJob 08-25-2011 06:45 PM

Carlisle's gonna suck this year, anyway. Vendors will be pulling out, everyone will need an umbrella, the grounds will be muddy - worst Carlisle in quite some time.

Next year, on the other hand, will be one of the best.

madmatster 08-25-2011 07:48 PM

My Z and my brothers Z won't be making it down either. We are still going though. Hoping that Friday will have a decent showing. Beyond that it will be a crapshoot.
Been going tom the show for 16 years.

dklowrider 08-25-2011 07:57 PM

big rain in carlisle right now due to the front dropping through. friday is supposed to be perfect weather. sat. afternoon not so good. my gutters are overflowing due to the extreme downpours we're having. i'll still make it for tomorrow though, about a half hour's ride for me.:thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 08-25-2011 08:37 PM

Honestly, I don't blame you at all for cancelling the trip. No sense in taking risks with either your car or your life. There will be shows to go to in the future.

Mr.Bill 08-25-2011 08:47 PM

Sorry about your trip, I would of done the same, I remember 3 or 4 years ago there were a number of cars that got a lot of damage from the rain and wind, It isn't worth it to take the chance.

RaW Z06 08-25-2011 09:29 PM

I would cancel the trip myself. Don't blame you a bit. Not worth the potential trouble with a major storm.