CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Z06 vs. Grand Sport (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2896022-z06-vs-grand-sport.html)

JoesC5 08-23-2011 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1578497721)
What with all of the Z06 owners touting the difference in performance I'm curious how many actually take their car to the track?

I don't track my Z06 on a regular basis, but I Have driven it at 160+ MPH twice at the Talladega Super Speedway and will be driving it for two hours on the Rolex24 circuit at the Daytona International Speedway in a couple of months hitting speeds of 175 MPH on the high banked oval while also doing the infield road course. If you have $450.50 and a helmet, they will let you run your "slow" C6 on the track(as long as it's not a convertible) at the same time, but don't be surprised when a Cyber Gray Z06 passes you.
My daily Driver is a supercharged Mercedes 4 door sedan. Do you think I should relegate it only to the track because it will outrun a Honda Civic?

Just because a car is faster then a bat out of hell, doesn't mean you have to race it to enjoy it.

JJC5 08-23-2011 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1578497721)
What with all of the Z06 owners touting the difference in performance I'm curious how many actually take their car to the track?

Un-frigging believable. Why did the guys that bought base cars buy those then if they're not going to track theirs? They too have more power than you need for the street.
How many F430 Ferrari owners take theirs to the track? It really cracks me up at how many non-Z06 owners say the Z06 is a waste if it's not tracked. SORRY....the Z06 does have more performance; street AND track if that floats your boat. Why is this so hard to understand and why is it such an issue???

Racer 08-23-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1578497286)
Have you ever seen a Z06 with the roof off (as in replacing the top)? There is structure underneath the top. Somehow, I think you know this. :cheers:

It is the same roof and top as the standard coupes, they just make it attached so you can't remove it, don't you here it creaking all the time? :lurk:

Racer 08-23-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1578497800)
Check the Z06 section, there are plenty of threads from people that track the car..
Everyone has their own perception I guess of this thread, I don't feel Z06 owners are "touting" the difference in performance, the OP asked a question and solicited feedback and people are responding to that.

Both the GS and Z06 have very good performance on the track and street. You don't have to track the car to it;s full potential to experience the difference.

Check the real world and I am sure all would agree, less than 3% of all Z06 ever see a track.

Racer 08-23-2011 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot (Post 1578497793)
The most failed argument there is.

Why?

You don't need to take a Z06 to the track to notice the performance difference. Just like you don't need to take your base C6 to the track to notice it's performance difference v. a camaro.

Than maybe you should tell a bunch of them to stop referencing the track when the MAJORITY have not and never will see the track. They (Z06 owners) are the ones hammering us non stop with all this track talk. :sleep:

FrankTank 08-23-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498179)
Check the real world and I am sure all would agree, less than 3% of all Z06 ever see a track.

Fine by me, not sure how that could be verified ... like I said just because someone doesn't track the car 360 days a year doesnt mean they can't experience or enjoy the performance the car has.

I'd be willing to bet more than 3% at least see a 1/4 mile track at some time or another.

JJC5 08-23-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498147)
It is the same roof and top as the standard coupes, they just make it attached so you can't remove it, don't you here it creaking all the time? :lurk:

There are cross beams underneath the top that attach to either side of the car. That is what strengthens the whole structure and gives it rigidity. Serious; you really didn't know that?

Racer 08-23-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1578498223)
Fine by me, not sure how that could be verified ... like I said just because someone doesn't track the car 360 days a year doesnt mean they can't experience or enjoy the performance the car has.

I'd be willing to bet more than 3% at least see a 1/4 mile track at some time or another.

Well, your first part is not part of my argument. As I am enjoying a car that smokes a Z06 badly and I do not track it.

I would also say that there is NOT more than 3% that drag their cars of all the Z06's in the world. But as you said, hard to prove. The numbers are probably less.

Racer 08-23-2011 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1578498286)
There are cross beams underneath the top that attach to either side of the car. That is what strengthens the whole structure and gives it rigidity. Serious; you really didn't know that?

But it is the same roof. Seriously, you didn't know that?

AirBusPilot 08-23-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498217)
Than maybe you should tell a bunch of them to stop referencing the track when the MAJORITY have not and never will see the track. They (Z06 owners) are the ones hammering us non stop with all this track talk. :sleep:

I'm not telling them anything.

In fact, the "MAJORITY" of Z06 owners have been saying you don't have to see a track to notice the significant difference in performance. The only track talk I see is usually like the post I quoted, someone claiming it's useless over a base car unless it's on the track.

AirBusPilot 08-23-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498303)
Well, your first part is not part of my argument. As I am enjoying a car that smokes a Z06 badly and I do not track it.

I would also say that there is NOT more than 3% that drag their cars of all the Z06's in the world. But as you said, hard to prove. The numbers are probably less.

Who cares?

Racer 08-23-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot (Post 1578498311)
I'm not telling them anything.

In fact, the "MAJORITY" of Z06 owners have been saying you don't have to see a track to notice the significant difference in performance. The only track talk I see is usually like the post I quoted, someone claiming it's useless over a base car unless it's on the track.

Really? Then you are reading only what you want to read.

Racer 08-23-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot (Post 1578498320)
Who cares?

Actually, I wasn't talking to you, note my quote.

topper7788 08-23-2011 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498303)

well its a fact that 98.6% of all statistics are made up!!! :lol:

AirBusPilot 08-23-2011 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498321)
Really? Then you are reading only what you want to read.

No, I pay attention to these threads and they're all the same. Someone gets their pp hurt when a Z06 owner states the obvious, then it's "well, I bet you don't track your car, and you know, it's not worth it unless you track it."

Racer 08-23-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot (Post 1578498329)
No, I pay attention to these threads and they're all the same. Someone gets their pp hurt when a Z06 owner states the obvious, then it's "well, I bet you don't track your car, and you know, it's not worth it unless you track it."

Actually, you are "one sided" which means your opinion is worthless.

JJC5 08-23-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498306)
But it is the same roof. Seriously, you didn't know that?

Yes, I believe that's common knowledge with "most" Corvette owners, although I'm beginning to question that. You said it's the same roof but just secured so it can't be removed. Not the case. It's much more than that.:cheers:

Racer 08-23-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1578498344)
Yes, I believe that's common knowledge with "most" Corvette owners. I'm beginning to question that though. You said it's the same roof but just secured so it can't be removed. Not the case. More than that.:cheers:

No. it is the same roof and when you can here it creaking and moving, it proves the obvious (to some).

JoesC5 08-23-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by JJC5 (Post 1578498286)

There are no cross beams in the magnesium roof frame. It is rectangular in shape and the center opening in the magnesium frame is also rectangular in shape. There is no cross bracing to give triangulation for strength as it's not needed. The Z06 and the ZR1 have brackets welded to the aluminum halo and the magnesium roof frame is bolted to those brackets and to the windshield frame with 10 bolts. The SMC roof is then glued to the magnesium frame.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/detro.../#photo-584090

AirBusPilot 08-23-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578498340)
Actually, you are "one sided" which means your opinion is worthless.

Actually, you're an idiot, which makes yours worth less.:thumbs: