CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Z06 vs. Grand Sport (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2896022-z06-vs-grand-sport.html)

FrankTank 08-23-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1578495453)
:rofl: well, I'm not sure what exactly poo-pooing means...

but...

I find it hysterical that in presenting your supposedly "unbiased" and "qualified" point, you resorted to implying that anyone who doesn't agree to your conclusion must be driving like a grand-ma :lol:

He's trying to make the same point I was in that it's funny people down-play the difference in HP between models and say it's a waste, or not worth it.. so then what's the point of owning any Corvette since any C6 is plenty of power for the street unless you are just going to putt putt around town 95% of the time..then get a different car and save some money. He's simply saying there is a difference between the two, not one is better than the other. :cheers:

ohmy 08-23-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578495700)
I didn't under line convertible for a reason. The OP asked specifically about a Grand Sport convertible, not a base C6 convertible.

Any way you try and spin it, he was asking about a Z06 and a Grand Sport. If the convertible was the only thing he was interested in, then why didn't he ask about the differences between a base C6 convertible and a Grand Sport convertible. No, he asked about a comparison between a Z06 and a Grand Sport, and he further refined his question by asking about a Grand Sport convertible.

He was only considering a convertible, then why was his thread title "Z06 vs. Grand Sport?

AGAIN you missed the point :rofl:

Let me give you a clue: the reason why it was GS vert and a USED Z06 is bc those are in the same PRICE RANGE...

think "price", you'll get it...

PS: "Titles" are one think, I would suggest reading the ENTIRE post before posting, I think that way the comments will be more inline with the post, or do you disagree with that too? :lol:

JoesC5 08-23-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1578494149)
I think this is probably the case with 99% of people who poo-poo the difference in HP from the LS3 to the LS7.

I find it ironic that we see threads on a daily basis extolling the virtues of a tune and/or headers that add maybe 50 HP,but the extra 69-75 the Z06 enjoys is inconsequential.

Not to mention the 100lb weight savings.

And while it's true if you drive like a grandma that both cars drive about the same,what's the point of owning a sports car if you don't roll into the throttle sometime? And when you do,the Z06 shows you exactly why it costs more than a GS.

Having both(07 Z06 & 10' GS vert), I feel pretty qualified to compare.

I think what confuses the owners of a LS3 is that they add a CAI that the mfg claims will add 30-35 horsepower and then when they drive their car after the CAI installation, and don't feel any real performance increase (other then some additional intake noise), then they believe that if that's all they see with 35 horsepower increase, then 70 horsepower can't be much either. Boy, are they wrong.

Wandering Scot 08-23-2011 12:41 PM

New to the forum, not so new to Corvettes in general.
I've never owned a Z06, but have been fortunate enough to have driven a few at MSRC and TWS.
While I prefer an auto the transmission is very smooth and clutch engagement works very well. The Z06 is a very fast and composed car, if a bit tail happy. :D

I've also driven my friends '10 GS on the same tracks.
IMO the GS A6 is a bit easier to drive for me. It's just as composed at the Z06 and my lap times were pretty much the same, but with what seemed to be less effort on my part. On the more technical tracks the GS A6 was actually a tick faster.
I've yet to drive a ZR1 but if anyone would like to lend me one for TWS I'd be more than happy to take them up on the offer and post my perspective.:cheers:

When it came time for me to buy my Corvette I did a ton of research and opted for the GS vs the Z06. First off was the cost differential, most of the Z06's in my area are going for north of $70k after discounts, I wound up getting my 3LT GS for $58k, so that's a $12k savings.
I also wanted an auto and a removable roof which are not available with the Z06.

The GS and Z06 share the same body, tires, brakes and suspension. Other than the power train and the aluminum frame construction, I'm unaware of any other differences. Having driven both at the track and on the street the few differences weren't worth the additional expense for me.

Would I like more HP? Absolutely, lots of people do, whether you're a base C6 owner or a ZR1 owner.:yesnod:
Will I probably add some once the warranty is out? Hard to say, as the GS in it's current state doesn't really need any more HP, but knowing my history with my cars I probably will.:lol:

I guess I don't understand some of the negativity some Z06 owners have for the GS. If you want a manual trans, the additional 70 hp and a removable roof doesn't matter to you, the Z06 is the clear cut choice. More power to you,:thumbs: I won't fault you for your choice.

However if options like an auto trans or removable roof are more important to you than the additional HP, while still having the same braking and handling performance as the Z06, then the GS is the logical choice. Either way you will have a damned fine automobile.:cool:

Leprkon 08-23-2011 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN (Post 1578492757)
Flame suit on.....
a 4LT GS with MRC option is a Z06 with a smaller motor. Why do people say they are two completely different cars? other that 70hp and 100lbs lighter..

I didn't see anyone give a straight answer to your question. The Z06 is engineered toward one main purpose, while the GS is an upgraded base model.

A GS has the base model's steel frame. A Z06 has an aluminum frame. Instead of a removable roof, the Z06 has the roof completely built in to the body of the car for improved rigidity. The Z06 goes so far as to relocate the battery to the back cubbie to improve the GS's nearly 50/50 weight distribution to dang near exactly 50/50. The Z06 also uses 30% lighter windows and eliminates virtually all sound deadening in an attempt to reduce weight.

The end result is a quicker and faster (yes there is a difference), but less livable car. Doesn't mean it's not livable (as many would say about the Viper), but it is not as good for just ho-hum life. It's reasonable to say the Z06 is much more exotic for purists, but it's also very fair to say the GS is a much better value to the every day driver.

sublime1996525 08-23-2011 12:50 PM

I think we should all just be happy the Corvette rocks in any form. At least people aren't asking "what's better, an Integra Type-R or Corvette?"

Racer 08-23-2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Leprkon (Post 1578496233)
I didn't see anyone give a straight answer to your question. The Z06 is engineered toward one main purpose, while the GS is an upgraded base model.

A GS has the base model's steel frame. A Z06 has an aluminum frame. Instead of a removable roof, the Z06 has the roof completely built in to the body of the car for improved rigidity. The Z06 goes so far as to relocate the battery to the back cubbie to improve the GS's nearly 50/50 weight distribution to dang near exactly 50/50. The Z06 also uses 30% lighter windows and eliminates virtually all sound deadening in an attempt to reduce weight.

The end result is a quicker and faster (yes there is a difference), but less livable car. Doesn't mean it's not livable (as many would say about the Viper), but it is not as good for just ho-hum life. It's reasonable to say the Z06 is much more exotic for purists, but it's also very fair to say the GS is a much better value to the every day driver.

What exactly is the one main purpose that the Z06 was built for?

What are these lighter windows all about? :skep:

You better check to see how "built right in" that roof really is.

What parts or pieces or reason is this car "exotic"?

There is more, but that is enough for now.

redzone 08-23-2011 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1578495453)
:rofl: well, I'm not sure what exactly poo-pooing means...

but...

I find it hysterical that in presenting your supposedly "unbiased" and "qualified" point, you resorted to implying that anyone who doesn't agree to your conclusion must be driving like a grand-ma :lol:

Dunno how you came to that conclusion. I just find it funny that people say the cars are similar when driven easily(which they do) when we are talking about performance cars.

As a matter of fact,my wifes Chrysler 300 drives about the same as either the GS or Z06 if just cruising.

Racer 08-23-2011 12:57 PM

It's reasonable to say the Z06 is much more exotic for purists.....

What exactly is a purist pertaining to Corvettes? :lurk:

Leprkon 08-23-2011 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578496281)

Sometime in the 80s, I think Porsche marketed a car they called the "Club Sport". They tore out the radio and anything else that added weight and sold it to guys who did SCCA races on the weekend. They charged an extra 15%, for less stuff. GM just gives you better value for that 15%. :rofl:

redzone 08-23-2011 01:00 PM

The Z06 also uses 30% lighter windows and eliminates virtually all sound deadening in an attempt to reduce weight.

Are you 100% sure of this? I know the C5 Z06 used thinner/lighter glass,but have never heard the same was true for the C6 version.

JoesC5 08-23-2011 01:05 PM

For the most part, GM has always offered high performance options on the Corvette. In 1956 the 210 Hp was the base engine with the 240 Hp option available. During the C1 era, they had all kinds of options like heavy duty brake packages, rear gears to 4.56, dual fours, Fuel Injection, high lift cams, high comprssion pistons etc.

I remember the first 1965 396 Vette I saw. I was in a Mobil station in Wichita, Kansas, in 1965, when a guy in his late 40's or early 50's drove in to gas up. We got to talking(I had a 396/4-speed 1965 Impala) and the vette was his only car(396 ci, 425 Hp, 4 speed, side exhaust, etc) and was also his company car. He was a traveling salesman.

Who says GM can't build a high performance Vette that can be driven on the street everyday? That 396 Big Block Vette was that car in 1965 and the C6 Z06 is that car today.

Racer 08-23-2011 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578496375)
For the most part, GM has always offered high performance options on the Corvette. In 1956 the 210 Hp was the base engine with the 240 Hp option available. During the C1 era, they had all kinds of options like heavy duty brake packages, rear gears to 4.56, dual fours, Fuel Injection, high lift cams, high comprssion pistons etc.

I remember the first 1965 396 Vette I saw. I was in a Mobil station in Wichita, Kansas, in 1965, when a guy in his late 40's or early 50's drove in to gas up. We got to talking(I had a 396/4-speed 1965 Impala) and the vette was his only car(396 ci, 425 Hp, 4 speed, side exhaust, etc) and was also his company car. He was a traveling salesman.

Who says GM can't build a high performance Vette that can be driven on the street everyday? That 396 Big Block Vette was that car in 1965 and the C6 Z06 is that car today.

:iagree: but that did not answer any of my questions. :D

ohmy 08-23-2011 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1578496299)
Dunno how you came to that conclusion...

:rofl: huh? what? uummm... really you dunno? :lol: did you forget your comment? you spelled it right out in your there :lol: ... didn't really have to fetch far for it...

JJC5 08-23-2011 02:26 PM

Have you ever seen a Z06 with the roof off (as in replacing the top)? There is structure underneath the top. Somehow, I think you know this. :cheers:

JoesC5 08-23-2011 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1578495774)
AGAIN you missed the point :rofl:

Let me give you a clue: the reason why it was GS vert and a USED Z06 is bc those are in the same PRICE RANGE...

think "price", you'll get it...

PS: "Titles" are one think, I would suggest reading the ENTIRE post before posting, I think that way the comments will be more inline with the post, or do you disagree with that too? :lol:

Point out in the OP's first post where he mentioned money as the deciding factor between the two cars he is interested in. Sure, a used Z06 and a new Grand Sport will be in the same price range, but that just shows that he has placed a upper limit on what he wants to spend. He asked for the opinions and experiences of those who are familiar with the two cars.

He has basically said" I have "X" numbers of dollars I want to spend. I'm interested in two cars that fall into that price range. Please give me your opinions of the two cars I have selected to spend my money on as I'm new to the Corvette family."

Thats is exactly what people have been trying to do. Give him their opinions of the pros and cons of each car he is interested in purchasing.

Again, he asked about a Z06 and a Grand Sport. They are two different cars thus he is asking about the differences in the two.

The OP's first post....

"Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm in the market for either a used Z06 or a new Grand Sport convertible. This will be the first vette I've owned in my lifetime and I wanted to know you guy's opinion and experience's on both and hopefully your info will help me make a decision. Thanks!"

Wandering Scot 08-23-2011 03:06 PM

What with all of the Z06 owners touting the difference in performance I'm curious how many actually take their car to the track?

AirBusPilot 08-23-2011 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1578497721)
What with all of the Z06 owners touting the difference in performance I'm curious how many actually take their car to the track?

The most failed argument there is.

Why?

You don't need to take a Z06 to the track to notice the performance difference. Just like you don't need to take your base C6 to the track to notice it's performance difference v. a camaro.

FrankTank 08-23-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wandering Scot (Post 1578497721)

Check the Z06 section, there are plenty of threads from people that track the car..
Everyone has their own perception I guess of this thread, I don't feel Z06 owners are "touting" the difference in performance, the OP asked a question and solicited feedback and people are responding to that.

Both the GS and Z06 have very good performance on the track and street. You don't have to track the car to it;s full potential to experience the difference.

ohmy 08-23-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578497687)
Point out in the OP's first post where he mentioned money as the deciding factor

really??? thats your argument??? :rofl:

OMG, that is so funny... really? I mean really, you can't figure that out on your own? :rofl: that part has to be spelled out for you?

so you couldn't figure that out, but turning the post into a non-vert GS vs Z06 comparo' you had no problems with even though the OP spelled out CONVERTIBLE for ya :lol:

oh too f'n funny!