CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Z06 vs. Grand Sport (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2896022-z06-vs-grand-sport.html)

T-Sho 08-18-2011 02:05 PM

Z06 vs. Grand Sport

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I'm in the market for either a used Z06 or a new Grand Sport convertible. This will be the first vette I've owned in my lifetime and I wanted to know you guy's opinion and experience's on both and hopefully your info will help me make a decision. Thanks!

C6GrandSport10 08-18-2011 02:08 PM

These topics tend to go into a ................:trainwreck:

They are two very different cars, go to a dealership and test drive both, make your own decision based on your driving habits/abilities. You are going to get several different opinions here and most likely this thread will end up being locked.

Do some research in the Z06 and general sections of the forum, this topis has been brought up several times.

Torchsport 08-18-2011 02:11 PM

Hang on bud! Its gonna be a wild ride! :smash:

dvilin 08-18-2011 02:11 PM

:thumbs: Good response.

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578446345)

They are two very different cars, go to a dealership and test drive both, make your own decision based on your driving habits/abilities. You are going to get several different opinions here and most likely this thread will end up being locked.

Do some research in the Z06 and general sections of the forum, this topis has been brought up several times.

topper7788 08-18-2011 02:12 PM

Well to put it simply. 70 horsepower!

If you prefer a ragtop your decision is made... The easiest way to decide is go by your local dealer and drive both.... As I want a removable top the ZO6 is out for me... Decision was easy! Both are GREAT cars and you'll love either one.... Have fun!!!!

peter pan 08-18-2011 02:13 PM

A few simple questions for you, do you want 505 hp or 430/6, hardtop or removable top or vert, and manual or auto, answer those and you will be able to make your decision, oh no replacemetn for displacement:D

johnodrake 08-18-2011 02:14 PM

Z06 and the GS will drive similar because of the similarities in suspension and the same brakes and tires. The body similarities are obvious. The Z06 has 74 more flywheel HP and the top don't come off. The Z06 is a hundred or so pounds lighter. A stock Z06 will eat up a GS in a straight line, but they are really driver dependent on a track when brute hp is not a real issue.

brooklync5 08-18-2011 02:14 PM

This should be good! If you want power than go for the z, the performance is out of this world and it really is almost comparable performance wise to some of the worlds best performance cars. Then again if you want something for every day use and you want to be able to take the top off on a nice day the the GS is the one you want. As for me the second I can justify spending the extra 15k there will be a nice used Z in my driveway.

NJLS708 08-18-2011 02:14 PM

This has been discussed many times and there is only one way to answer this...

A Z06 is a pure race inspired car meant to be driven hard. Its a track car that can be driven on the street.

A Grand Sport will get you a more driver friendly car with a softer edge to it.

Both cars are nice. I went with a Z06 because I wanted the no nonsense Vette. Its purely your decision on what you want.

NYC6 08-18-2011 02:15 PM

ls7

ohmy 08-18-2011 02:19 PM

:rofl: those are touchy subjects on the forum it seems: the Z06 guys put down the GS as a Z06 wanna-be, and the GS guys say the Z06 isn't worth the money for marginal gains in performance...

but as far as your post... I hate being baked by the sun, I never liked convertibles, so to me the Z06 would be the obvious choice.

C6GrandSport10 08-18-2011 02:20 PM

or get the GS supercharge it and blow the doors off the Z with your top removed :rock:

ohmy 08-18-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578446478)
or get the GS supercharge it and blow the doors off the Z with your top removed :rock:

:rofl: yes but that's not one of the choices...

C6GrandSport10 08-18-2011 02:23 PM

lol, i thought i would try

FrankTank 08-18-2011 02:32 PM

Interesting topic... I don't think it's ever been discussed here before.. oh wait I seem to recall ....:hide: :leaving:

Raazor 08-18-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1578446580)
Interesting topic... I don't think it's ever been discussed here before.. oh wait I seem to recall ....:hide: :leaving:

:withstupid:

:lurk:

3LZZ06 08-18-2011 02:40 PM

Was ZR1 a choice?...:lol:

BluegrassMotorsport 08-18-2011 02:42 PM

With all of the, "These topics usually go wrong" posts, I think we will be able to avoid another locked thread.

The two cars in question, despite both being Corvettes, are extremely different. As most have said, the best way to make the decision is to drive both of them for yourself. Whichever one you enjoy driving the best is the one for you.

Racer 08-18-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by peter pan (Post 1578446402)
...........no replacemetn for displacement:D

Really? Let me try............measly 6.2 Liter LS9? :D

Raazor 08-18-2011 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578447579)

don't forget that Stage 3 LIngenfelter :rock:

750hp baby! :rock:

I'm only at 650 :(

:D

weiland 08-18-2011 04:35 PM

:lurk:

LTVN68 08-18-2011 04:47 PM

I own a ZO6 but at Spring Mountain, I mostly drove the Grand Sport. I will tell you something you probably already know, the Grand Sport is one heck of a fine car!
It is a privilege to own either one but as has been said.....it really depends on what you want. Thank God for the great choices we have!
This is not meant to be patronizing. The Grand Sport ran like a super car on the track. It was a darn good teacher!:flag:

Uncle Meat 08-18-2011 04:50 PM

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/d...1620085836.gif

johnodrake 08-18-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Racer (Post 1578447579)

Or a measly LS3 stroker ;)

johnodrake 08-18-2011 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by LTVN68 (Post 1578447837)
I own a ZO6 but at Spring Mountain, I mostly drove the Grand Sport. I will tell you something you probably already know, the Grand Sport is one heck of a fine car!
It is a privilege to own either one but as has been said.....it really depends on what you want. Thank God for the great choices we have!
This is not meant to be patronizing. The Grand Sport ran like a super car on the track. It was a darn good teacher!:flag:

Driven both at SM - totally agree!

csnow 08-18-2011 05:21 PM

Comes down to gills or no gills.

jackhall99 08-18-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578446345)

:iagree: Well said.

To the OP: This will be a 50/50 split. :D

The Z has more power, and is a potent car. The GS has a little less power, and is still a potent car. Both are great cars. Just test drive them, make your choice, and enjoy either one. :cheers:

WaxWeekly 08-18-2011 05:45 PM

You mentioned a new GS vs a Used Z06. If operating costs are important to you, you might also compare a few things like mileage, tire replacement, and suggested maintenance costs. I believe the Z06 will be significantly more to insure and maintain, but will retain better resale value.

How long you plan to keep it, how many miles you plan to drive it, and if you intend on taking the car to a race track will affect all of the costs involved with each car.

Good luck, and make sure whichever you pick, you enjoy it completely. Don't play the 'I wish I would have' game on something you need to live with for a few years.

b4i4getit 08-18-2011 06:20 PM

If you do this you lose your warranty when you engine explodes. Not pretty. :ack:

ATC399 08-18-2011 06:24 PM

heres a thought...man the F up and get the Vette YOU want.....

phileaglesfan 08-18-2011 07:51 PM

Do you want a removable roof or not? Easy decision after that. Then again you could buy a Callaway, have more HP than a Z06 and a removable roof.

OnPoint 08-18-2011 08:39 PM

Isn't the GS just a watered down base model/version of the Z-06.:rofl::rofl: Oh, wait, what is that thing with gills in my garage. . . . .:rofl:

OP,

Go get the one that trips your trigger. They're both great cars. But you got to have the clarity of mind and guts to know whay YOU want, and then act on that, and that alone. Cuz at the end of the day, our opinions don't mean jack.

OregonC6 08-18-2011 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1578448233)
:iagree: Well said.

To the OP: This will be a 50/50 split. :D

The Z has more power, and is a potent car. The GS has a little less power, and is still a potent car. Both are great cars. Just test drive them, make your choice, and enjoy either one. :cheers:

If the GS "has a little less power" ( than the Z06 )

and

The GS and narrow body C6 have identical hp

then

the "base" "narrow body" aka "standard" C6 also "has a little less power and it still a potent car".

My point being that if " has a little less power" is true for the GS it is also true for the base narrow body standard C6.

If you are thinking vert at all you should stop thinking about a Z06. Around town it beats the heck out of me what the difference could possibly be between an LS3 with 430/436 hp, 505 hp OR 638 hp unless a person is a reckless street racer type person. You can't use 430/436 hp in most urban/residential areas safely etc.

After reading probably thousands of posts about the Z06 I've concluded I'd never want to own one due to the unpredictable reliability of the LS7. You can read all about this yourself and form YOU OWN opinions after learning of the experiences of Z06 owners. I'd certainly never want to own a Z06 out of warranty even if it was pampered and low mile....again....read a few hundred posts and look at some photos of LS7 engine blocks with holes in them and you will understand. ( and, oh, flame me all you want but good grief it's the Z06 owners themselves who post up their experiences for interested persons to read )

Go with the GS. You will have the reliability of the standard LS3 engine and drivetrain and the looks , sort of, of the Z06 but without the LS7.

Racer 08-18-2011 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1578447648)
don't forget that Stage 3 LIngenfelter :rock:

750hp baby! :rock:

I'm only at 650 :(

:D

http://www.storagesideas.com/wp-cont...07/Loser-1.jpg

True statement....:yesnod: :rofl:

rayk 08-18-2011 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by LTVN68 (Post 1578447837)

Thank you. I've found the GS to be a heck of a fast car on the track and the handling is the best I driven on a track. People discount it a lot.

Of course I haven't driven a Viper, Z06 etc.

PittMD1 08-19-2011 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by troller399 (Post 1578448673)
heres a thought...man the F up and get the Vette YOU want.....

Here's another thought.....
This is a public forum where Ideas are brought up to get advise from those who have been there/done that. I would have to say the OP is "maning up" just fine.

LFZ 08-19-2011 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by OregonC6 (Post 1578451194)

After reading probably thousands of posts about the Z06 I've concluded I'd never want to own one due to the unpredictable reliability of the LS7. You can read all about this yourself and form YOU OWN opinions after learning of the experiences of Z06 owners. I'd certainly never want to own a Z06 out of warranty even if it was pampered and low mile....again....read a few hundred posts and look at some photos of LS7 engine blocks with holes in them and you will understand. ( and, oh, flame me all you want but good grief it's the Z06 owners themselves who post up their experiences for interested persons to read )

Go with the GS. You will have the reliability of the standard LS3 engine and drivetrain and the looks , sort of, of the Z06 but without the LS7.

:thumbs: Thank you.

FrankTank 08-19-2011 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by OregonC6 (Post 1578451194)

I can't even dignify this amount of BS with a response...oh wait :rofl: :hide: :rofl:

Originally Posted by LFZ (Post 1578453765)
:thumbs: Thank you.

:lol: :iagree: THANK GOODNESS :rofl:

funymuny 08-19-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by topper7788 (Post 1578446393)
Well to put it simply. 70 horsepower!

If you prefer a ragtop your decision is made... The easiest way to decide is go by your local dealer and drive both.... As I want a removable top the ZO6 is out for me... Decision was easy! Both are GREAT cars and you'll love either one.... Have fun!!!!

Automatic tranny available only in GS. I wanted automatic and a pop-top so GS was my answer...I love it.

KneeDragr 08-19-2011 10:18 AM

Since you are shopping for a used Z06 or new GS the price should be relatively close. Test drive both and see if the GS is enough for you or if the power of the Z06 is worth giving up the removable top and/or auto trans.

Both will be excellent cars in the twisties or the track, dont let anyone convince you that you need a Z06 is you plan to drive it in that manor. Sure the Z06 will have higher limits, but it will take more skill to be able to tap that potential safely.

Also, you can always put a GMPP on the Z06 to get a longer warranty period.

slolane 08-19-2011 10:45 AM

If you are going just on looks I don't think you can do any better than a GS vert that includes the base, Z, and ZR1. The GS will have more than enough power for street driving for most people. If you are looking for the best looking car for cruising and road trips the GS vert can't be beat.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Z06 its a great car. No, the top doesn't come off and no you can't get an automatic. Yes the power is overkill for street use on the Z and ZR1 but thats what some people like.

Bottom line get the Corvette that fits your needs and wants the best and you will be very happy for a long time:cheers:

Daekwan06 08-19-2011 11:46 AM

Z06 is a street legal track car IMO. Its a free country and you can buy anything you have money to do, but I dont understand the purpose of getting the Z06 just to drive on normal streets. If you arent tracking the car.. The Z06 ride is harsher than other C6 models, its only available with a fixed roof and the car itself is more "raw".

The ZR1 has more power if thats what your after (yeah I know how much it costs) but still.. and the GS gives you the same looks, but a cheaper price and 'only' 70 less hp. Unless you abosolutely have to have the big LS7 engine, it seems like the GS is much better buy for the regular street guy.

redzone 08-19-2011 01:42 PM

Cuz nobody mods a Z06...amirite?

JoesC5 08-19-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1578455129)
Z06 is a street legal track car IMO. Its a free country and you can buy anything you have money to do, but I dont understand the purpose of getting the Z06 just to drive on normal streets. If you arent tracking the car.. The Z06 ride is harsher than other C6 models, its only available with a fixed roof and the car itself is more "raw".

The ZR1 has more power if thats what your after (yeah I know how much it costs) but still.. and the GS gives you the same looks, but a cheaper price and 'only' 70 less hp. Unless you abosolutely have to have the big LS7 engine, it seems like the GS is much better buy for the regular street guy.

There is a very good reason that GM offers the Z06 with 505 HP and the ZR1 with 638 HP. There is also a very good reason GM does not offer a C6 with a 200 HP V6. Not everyone puts "style" in front of performance.

I have an idea that you have never driven a Z06 or you wouldn't be saying 'only' 70 less hp.
Don't take me wrong. I think the GS is a great car, but it ain't no Z06 or ZR1, even when driven on the street.

Ask yourself this question. Why are there so many companies making products/services to increase the performance of a C6 and none that offer any products/services to decrease the performance?

Name one tuner that offers to decrease your horsepower for $500.

KneeDragr 08-19-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578457124)
I have an idea that you have never driven a Z06 or you wouldn't be saying 'only' 70 less hp.
Don't take me wrong. I think the GS is a great car, but it ain't no Z06 or ZR1, even when driven on the street.

Perhaps you should take your own advice and drive both, and not just around the block.

Ask yourself this question. Why are there so many companies making products/services to increase the performance of a C6 and none that offer any products/services to decrease the performance?

And just as many of them are for the Z06. Go look in the for sale section, there is clearly a higher percentage of modified Z06s than base cars or GS couples. The horsepower bug is not just for the base engine.

C6GrandSport10 08-19-2011 04:05 PM

Cuz nobody mods a Z06...amirite?
Nobody said anything like that........amirite?

I can tell already your a GS HATER.........amirite?

FrankTank 08-19-2011 04:07 PM

Oh boy..here we go again...it was only a matter of time :lol:

C6GrandSport10 08-19-2011 04:09 PM

I didnt start it!!!!

Long time no see Frank, you goin to TK next Saturday?

LFZ 08-19-2011 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578457876)

:lol: Redzone owns a GS.

C6GrandSport10 08-19-2011 04:27 PM

LOL, Im just messin around, its all good

JoesC5 08-19-2011 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by KneeDragr (Post 1578457560)
Perhaps you should take your own advice and drive both, and not just around the block.

I have driven my Z06 at 162 MPH at Talledega. How fast have you driven a Z06? Meet me December 2 at Daytona. I'll be in the Cyber Gray Z06 and will be doing 175 MPH crossing the start/finish line. I will also be driving it much slower through the tight infield course, if you want to try and keep up. I also drive it 45 MPH(30 MPH through the school zone up the street). The car will actually drive between 0 and 198 MPH. Just because it will do 198 doen't mean i have to drive it 198 MPh everytime i get in the car. I have first hand knowledge of how to drive a Z06, both on the street and on the track(where it's legal to drive faster then the posted speed limit).

And just as many of them are for the Z06. Go look in the for sale section, there is clearly a higher percentage of modified Z06s than base cars or GS couples. The horsepower bug is not just for the base engine.

So, my point(if you had quoted my entire post instead of cherry picking it) is that more people modify their Corvettes(whether its a base C6, a GS, a Z06 or a ZR1) to improve it's performance(and increasing the horsepower is the main performance modification) then those that modify their Corvette to decrease it's performance.

bbudman 08-19-2011 04:48 PM

As a new owner myself the only advice I can offer you is make up your own mind and get what you want. Since this would be your first Corvette I assume you have little or no seat time in one. The first thing you need to do is some homework online learning about the different models, features, and options. Next, visit the dealership and look at the cars in person. “I went on a Sunday afternoon and walked around the lot without any salesperson pressure to get an idea about which color combinations appealed to myself and my wife”. Finally I scheduled an appointment with the dealer to come visit, test drive, and get a real feel for what I wanted.

On a final note let me express that there are a few people here that track their cars and have plenty of experience behind the wheel pushing their Corvette to the limit. On the other hand any model Corvette has the capabilities that can far exceed the limit that many average drivers are willing to take them! I for one am not ashamed to admit that fact after being in the passenger seat with a professional behind the wheel! :D

KevinJax 08-19-2011 04:49 PM

If it were me I would get the GS vert. There is nothing like dropping the top and cruising around. I did not get a Zo6 because the riders seat had no electric adjustments and was not comfortable for my wife. I have a coupe because I needed the extra storage space on trips and I love the removable see through roof ....feels like a convertible but I would prefer the vert. As far as power my stock coupe is so fast.....I'm telling you so seriously fast that I cannot imagine what pushing a Z06 would be like. I am beyond thrilled and satisfied with 436 hp. Additionally the Grand Sport convertible is drop dead gorgeous....I had to have Atomic Orange though and you can't get that color in the GS. I vote GS vert for comfort, ability to drop the top and more than adequate power....0-60 in what 4 seconds give or takeoff? That's fast! K

FrankTank 08-19-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578457923)
I didnt start it!!!!

Long time no see Frank, you goin to TK next Saturday?

Hey Peter, I am going to try and make it next Saturday :thumbs:

JoesC5 08-19-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by KevinJax (Post 1578458270)
If it were me I would get the GS vert. There is nothing like dropping the top and cruising around. I did not get a Zo6 because the riders seat had no electric adjustments and was not comfortable for my wife. I have a coupe because I needed the extra storage space on trips and I love the removable see through roof ....feels like a convertible but I would prefer the vert. As far as power my stock coupe is so fast.....I'm telling you so seriously fast that I cannot imagine what pushing a Z06 would be like. I am beyond thrilled and satisfied with 436 hp. Additionally the Grand Sport convertible is drop dead gorgeous....I had to have Atomic Orange though and you can't get that color in the GS. I vote GS vert for comfort, ability to drop the top and more than adequate power....0-60 in what 4 seconds give or takeoff? That's fast! K

Very rational explanation as to why you would prefer a GS over a Z06 without calling Z06 owners dumbasses for prefering a car with even higher levels of performance. Nothing wrong with selecting a car based on your personal needs/wants without degrading others when they choose another route.

C6GrandSport10 08-19-2011 06:09 PM

off the topic but i cant help it

REDZONE You have one hell of a garage, very nicley done!!!

Bill Dearborn 08-19-2011 06:55 PM

To the OP. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you are a cruiser type of person who washes, waxes and drives to cruise ins and sits around talking about how great the cars are a base C6 or a GS will do you just fine. If you are like most Vette owners and never really hold the throttle down long enough to feel the power push you back into the seat and see the speedo rush toward the upper 100s then a base or GS car will be far more than what you will be able to handle. If you like running the cars hard and like holding the throttle to the floor for extended periods then the Z is the car for you. The GS has different transmission ratios (identical to the C5Z06 ratios) which means with the 6600 rev limit of the engine you will see about 20 mph less in third gear than the Z will see at its 7K rev limit. That is where the Z shines when pulling off a corner at a track. The GS can't match it. I know the difference in the feel of the two and the GS is mild mannered in that arena but the Z is a beast that gets the job done. If you aren't pushing the car that way then the GS or as I said the base car is sufficient.

Yes, the roof comes off on the GS and you can get it in a Vert but if you are into hard driving the Z will be the car for you. If not into hard driving let somebody who is into it buy the car instead.

Bill

68sixspeed 08-19-2011 07:54 PM

I'll chime in as I have both... And they drive quite a bit different. The GS is tame, rides nice (mine has mag ride, can't comment on the base GS ride). Very civilized, sharp looking car.

The z06 is an animal by comparison. Throttle response, harsher ride, a bit twitchy on bumpy roads, even though they look similar it is a different experience and for different purposes. The z is at it's best on the track for sure and is still a very usable but perhaps not optimal street car.

Daekwan06 08-19-2011 08:41 PM

There is a very good reason that GM offers the Z06 with 505 HP and the ZR1 with 638 HP. There is also a very good reason GM does not offer a C6 with a 200 HP V6. Not everyone puts "style" in front of performance.

Name one tuner that offers to decrease your horsepower for $500.

I think you got me wrong Joe. The majority of my post was not about power.. but about the harsher, more raw ride & handling of the Z06.. because its really built to be the ultimate track Corvette. The reason why I said "only" 70hp less.. is to indicate that GS still makes plenty of power for the street. I completely understand the much more raw power delivery of the LS7 vs the LS3, even though the "only" 70hp is what shows up on paper. My point was.. why bother getting the "raw" Z06 to use solely as a street car? If power is all that you care about.. then the 6.2L engine in regular N/A, aftermarket supercharged or factory supercharged (LS9) has all the get up and go you can ask for.

To answer the 2nd part of your question.. companies make aftermarket performance parts for the same reason reason other companies make penile size performance products. And the answer is what guy doesnt want more power? No guy is looking to reduce the amount of HP in sportscar, much the same as no guy is looking to cut a few inches off the size of his manhood. We would all like to have as much HP as possible, even if we never use it. Same goes for the size of our manhood, more is always better.. if even you cant use it all.

A good example of this is my 65 year old father. He owns a '07 C6 that he bought new 5 years ago and will pay off this fall. Even though he has never driven the car any faster than 84mph.. he plans to trade it in on a Z06. I asked him why.. knowing the Z06 he buys wont get pushed past 84mph either. And his answer was "Its like carrying a .44 magnum handgun.. it feels good to have it, even if you never have to use it". I cant think of a better analogy as for why guys typically want as much HP as they can reasonably afford.

I guarantee you if the Z06 & a LS9 equipped GS were offered to buyers at the exact same MSRP. Very few people would interested in the Z06.. it would only be bought by the hardcore track guys which the car was originally intended for. Most Z06 buyers, purchased the car simply because it was the most powerful car they could afford.

KneeDragr 08-19-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578458169)
I have driven my Z06 at 162 MPH at Talledega.

Ok, how fast have you driven a GS?

I dont feel like driving to Talledega for a trackday but I will be at Summit Point and VIR this October and next season, multiple times for Summit actually.

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578458169)
So, my point(if you had quoted my entire post instead of cherry picking it) is that more people modify their Corvettes(whether its a base C6, a GS, a Z06 or a ZR1) to improve it's performance(and increasing the horsepower is the main performance modification) then those that modify their Corvette to decrease it's performance.

No you were trying to imply that base and GS owners modify their cars because they are not fast enough. In truth, its the people who are attracted to more power in the first place ( Z06 ) that end up paying on top of that for even more.

Daekwan06 08-19-2011 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by KneeDragr (Post 1578460328)
I dont feel like driving to Talledega for a trackday but I will be at Summit Point and VIR this October and next season, multiple times for Summit actually..

Should have known you were local. Can you give me anymore info on the Summit Point and VIR events? Are these car or bike events. I'm actually down for either.. WERA #217, NESBA/TPM #17.. :)

Nice to meet another local track enthusiast who both enjoys sportbikes & Vettes.

msnbound 08-19-2011 09:20 PM

Zo6.....other than the zr1, it is a monstet and that extra 70 horses cant be explained on paper.....trust me, it is a big difference......i started my corvette love with a c5 vert, then a c5 zo6.....now a c6 zo6 and the performace cannot be matched.....period....unless u have the xtra coin for the zr1

cclive 08-19-2011 10:03 PM

Simple decision...........if you require a convertible top, get the GS.....otherwise Z06:D:D:D

rayk 08-20-2011 03:09 PM

No doubt the Z06 is the better track car. Doesn't mean the GS is slow, just the Z06 is faster with skilled driver. Any track comparison shows that. However the coupe GS is probably fine for many going to HPDE events.

JoesC5 08-20-2011 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by KneeDragr (Post 1578460328)
Ok, how fast have you driven a GS?

I dont feel like driving to Talledega for a trackday but I will be at Summit Point and VIR this October and next season, multiple times for Summit actually.

Never driven A GS, but I have ridden in my friends GS that is making 200 horsepower(no typo) more then my Z06. It is also faster then a stock GS. When I was last at Talladega a ZR1 did 167 MPH and the fastest base C6/GS that I know of was 151 MPH. I hit 162 MPH

No you were trying to imply that base and GS owners modify their cars because they are not fast enough. In truth, its the people who are attracted to more power in the first place ( Z06 ) that end up paying on top of that for even more.

Are you saying that only people that purchase Z06's lust for more power? Read my response above. Plenty of owners of base C6's/GS's modify their cars because they are not fast enough for them. Read the tech section...tons of people with base C6/GS's are asking how to get more power via CAI, headers, cams, etc..tons of them. And many of them are putting down more power then a Z06. Ask yourself why Edelbrock chose to offer their E-Force for the LS3 first, then the LS2 and lastly, the LS7. They chose that order because that was the order in which they would see the fastest payback on their investment. If they didn't think owners of LS3/LS2 were not interested in more horsepower, but only owners of LS7's were, then they would have gone with the LS7 E-Force first and just skipped releasing the E-Force for the LS3/LS2.

JoesC5 08-20-2011 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1578460155)
I think you got me wrong Joe. The majority of my post was not about power.. but about the harsher, more raw ride & handling of the Z06.. because its really built to be the ultimate track Corvette. The reason why I said "only" 70hp less.. is to indicate that GS still makes plenty of power for the street. I completely understand the much more raw power delivery of the LS7 vs the LS3, even though the "only" 70hp is what shows up on paper. My point was.. why bother getting the "raw" Z06 to use solely as a street car? If power is all that you care about.. then the 6.2L engine in regular N/A, aftermarket supercharged or factory supercharged (LS9) has all the get up and go you can ask for.

To answer the 2nd part of your question.. companies make aftermarket performance parts for the same reason reason other companies make penile size performance products. And the answer is what guy doesnt want more power? No guy is looking to reduce the amount of HP in sportscar, much the same as no guy is looking to cut a few inches off the size of his manhood. We would all like to have as much HP as possible, even if we never use it. Same goes for the size of our manhood, more is always better.. if even you cant use it all.

A good example of this is my 65 year old father. He owns a '07 C6 that he bought new 5 years ago and will pay off this fall. Even though he has never driven the car any faster than 84mph.. he plans to trade it in on a Z06. I asked him why.. knowing the Z06 he buys wont get pushed past 84mph either. And his answer was "Its like carrying a .44 magnum handgun.. it feels good to have it, even if you never have to use it". I cant think of a better analogy as for why guys typically want as much HP as they can reasonably afford.

I guarantee you if the Z06 & a LS9 equipped GS were offered to buyers at the exact same MSRP. Very few people would interested in the Z06.. it would only be bought by the hardcore track guys which the car was originally intended for. Most Z06 buyers, purchased the car simply because it was the most powerful car they could afford.

My apologies. The truth is my base suspension '98 C5 rode no smoother then my C6 Z06. I have driven my Z06 on trips for 11 hours at a time, only stopping for gas/potty and food. I'm 69 years old so I know what old age does to one's body. Will be driving it for a six day cruise through the Smokey Mountains next month and then a full two day drive to Daytona, drive on the track for two hours, then a full two day drive back home in December(five days...2400+ miles). If the car was that bad, I wouldn't be driving those distances. I would get a GS/F55.

Four heart attacks and a five graft bypass, and a 10 year cancer survivor and I'm driving a Z06 on long cruises and high speeds on the track.

Tell you father, when he gets his Z06, that I expect to have coffee with him at Talladega, after we get through running hot laps around the track at 160+ MPH. I bet he will be converted, as I expect you will the first time you drive your dad's Z06. 70 horsepower doesn't sound like much but where the LS3 pushes you back into the seat, the LS7 slams you back into the seat.

FrankTank 08-20-2011 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578466192)
My apologies. The truth is my base suspension '98 C5 rode no smoother then my C6 Z06. I have driven my Z06 on trips for 11 hours at a time, only stopping for gas/potty and food. I'm 69 years old so I know what old age does to one's body. Will be driving it for a six day cruise through the Smokey Mountains next month and then a full two day drive to Daytona, drive on the track for two hours, then a full two day drive back home in December(five days...2400+ miles). If the car was that bad, I wouldn't be driving those distances. I would get a GS/F55.

Four heart attacks and a five graft bypass, and a 10 year cancer survivor and I'm driving a Z06 on long cruises and high speeds on the track.

Tell you father, when he gets his Z06, that I expect to have coffee with him at Talladega, after we get through running hot laps around the track at 160+ MPH. I bet he will be converted, as I expect you will the first time you drive your dad's Z06. 70 horsepower dosen't sound like much but where the LS3 pushes you back into the seat, the LS7 slams you back into the seat.

:iagree: for some reason there is this perception that the Z06 is SO much harsher a ride...and it's not really at all IMO. It does feel a bit stiffer, however I've found the tires are a big culprit..as soon as I switched to non-runflat tires in my Z, I could almost not tell the difference between it and how a base C6 rode. :crazy:

On the harshest and very bad roads, sure you are going to feel it...but I've driven a regular C6 over those type roads and feel it just as much.

I've take a few long cruises ( 8 hour trips) in my car and it is very comfortable to me.

KevinJax 08-20-2011 05:17 PM

PS, one other thing to consider. Many tracks will not let you track a corvette convertible. Just something else to consider. I hope others chime in on this issue. K

rayk 08-20-2011 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by KevinJax (Post 1578466658)
PS, one other thing to consider. Many tracks will not let you track a corvette convertible. Just something else to consider. I hope others chime in on this issue. K

Even with a rollbar installed? Most tracks I've been on I see converts with rollbars, not cages.

rayk 08-20-2011 05:32 PM

Z06 guys got lucky.

Why you ask?

Chevrolet could have made the following options available on the base Z06.

Automatic
Removeable top
Convertible
LS3 or LS7 Option
Badging that said 'Z06 Grand Sport'

Then they would have been stuck with base Z06 cars and be the runt of the pack and suffer increased depreciation.

Just saying. :cheers:

slolane 08-20-2011 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by rayk (Post 1578465785)
No doubt the Z06 is the better track car. Doesn't mean the GS is slow, just the Z06 is faster with skilled driver. Any track comparison shows that. However the coupe GS is probably fine for many going to HPDE events.

On the flip side I have heard the Z will do everything on the street that a GS will do. So I guess you could say you can track both cars and drive them both on the street. Hmmmm I wonder if thats true. Something to think about anyway:yesnod: Maybe one of the Z guys can tell us if they drive on the street:bigears

3LZZ06 08-20-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by rayk (Post 1578466770)
Z06 guys got lucky.

Why you ask?

Chevrolet could have made the following options available on the base Z06.

Automatic
Removeable top
Convertible
LS3 or LS7 Option
Badging that said 'Z06 Grand Sport'

Then they would have been stuck with base Z06 cars and be the runt of the pack and suffer increased depreciation.

Just saying. :cheers:

I guess this was meant as a joke but unfortunately...I don't get it.
I read it a few times too and it just doesn't turn on my light bulb...:crazy:

RekaRoyal 08-20-2011 07:04 PM

Simple decision...........if you require a convertible top, get the GS.....otherwise Z06
:iagree:

This is how my brain works too. Logic.

KneeDragr 08-20-2011 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578466068)
Are you saying that only people that purchase Z06's lust for more power?

No you are saying that because you are wrong and trying to change the argument into something you could win.

Sorry, try again.

clarkakirby 08-20-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by peter pan (Post 1578446402)
A few simple questions for you, do you want 505 hp or 430/6, hardtop or removable top or vert, and manual or auto, answer those and you will be able to make your decision, oh no replacement for displacement:D

:iagree: Other than the extra engine displacement (7 liters Z06 vs 6.2 liters GS) and the extra 69-74 horses (and TORQUE!), there are no paddle-shift 6-speed automatics, no removable roof panels, or convertibles with a Z06.

And, I like the Heritage Stripes on my Torch Red '10 GS! :smiliedrool:
-Clark

KneeDragr 08-21-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Daekwan06 (Post 1578460357)
Should have known you were local. Can you give me anymore info on the Summit Point and VIR events? Are these car or bike events. I'm actually down for either.. WERA #217, NESBA/TPM #17.. :)

Nice to meet another local track enthusiast who both enjoys sportbikes & Vettes.

Easiest place to start is Friday at the Track for Summit. I will be at the October one.

http://www.summitpointfatt.com/

This is what I plan on for VIR next season.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../virinfo.shtml

Turbooo2u 08-21-2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by rayk (Post 1578465785)

The Z is a better track car with a SKILLED driver. The average driver might go faster in the GS because It's more predictable and less tail-happy.:cheers:

musclecar6 08-21-2011 10:12 AM

If you are a convertible person, forget the Z06. The Z06 is a fabulous street supercar, but the top doesn't come off & unless you get a later model one with the magnetic ride suspension, it's hard riding unless you mainly drive on mostly smooth roads. Get the GS vert with F55 suspension & don't look back ( had an 08Z I replaced with 2010 GS coupe with Lingenfelter Magnussen TVS 2300 forged bottom end 650 supercharger package that for me is the best option & is definitely stronger than a stock Z06).

billiam01 08-21-2011 01:41 PM

Can't you just buy them both? That way you can have whatever you want depending on your mood for the day. :willy:

09Z06pj 08-22-2011 11:11 AM

Both are great cars. If you are trying to decide GS vs Z06, better go with the Z. If you don't, you'll more than likely wish you had done so later.

Kerrdogg 08-22-2011 11:57 AM

I was in a similar debate last month, hadn't driven either car, have three friends with Z06's so I know their problems, strengths. I could afford either new & I was really leaning towards a z06. Then I broke it down, 98% of the time I will be driving near the posted speed limit, I really like the looks of the GS (They should have called it a Stingray) better. I'll never take the top off so that didn't matter. What it came down to in the end was price, best deal I found on the Zo6 was $63k, GS $43k, that leaves me $20k mod money. So with a cam, exhaust, tune and some other trinkets, I should be able to have a 500 rwhp car or 30 more than my friends zo6 (which should make up for the weight difference), should cost me about $3k to do the upgrades, hmm.... I went with the GS.

KX 08-22-2011 12:11 PM

A friend and I went to the Main Street event yesterday but they did not have even one Z06 or ZR1 to test drive.! So we went to a dealer that had them. Test drove Z06's but passed on the ZR1 as we are just not in that price range for a car.
They had tons of GS cars also.
As we are both C6 Z51 owners we did not even take a second look at a GS! The convertible had just too much bling look, pusedo wide butt, etc. Just not for us, especially with the top up, yuck, ugly! And that waterfall behind the seats. No way. Give me a coupe any day! They had some great deals on Z06's which where the best bang for the buck, considering. Each to his/her own....

JoesC5 08-22-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrdogg (Post 1578486056)
I was in a similar debate last month, hadn't driven either car, have three friends with Z06's so I know their problems, strengths. I could afford either new & I was really leaning towards a z06. Then I broke it down, 98% of the time I will be driving near the posted speed limit, I really like the looks of the GS (They should have called it a Stingray) better. I'll never take the top off so that didn't matter. What it came down to in the end was price, best deal I found on the Zo6 was $63k, GS $43k, that leaves me $20k mod money. So with a cam, exhaust, tune and some other trinkets, I should be able to have a 500 rwhp car or 30 more than my friends zo6 (which should make up for the weight difference), should cost me about $3k to do the upgrades, hmm.... I went with the GS.

Many people are doing this. A friend has a 2010 GS coupe, manual, that he sent off just a month after he purchased it, to have it "souped up". After a cam, ARH long tubes, complete exhaust system by Magnaflow and a polished TVS2300, he has 200 HP(at the flywheel) more then I do (in my Z06).

SnakeBT6 08-22-2011 12:51 PM

I have a manual GS with the clear top.

My dad had a couple of 62s and a 65 when I was kid. I never bought a new car before or ever even drove a C6 Corvette, but I knew I wanted one when I could afford it.

Money aside, just for the added performance, not that I would ever use it or even know how, but for me and the way I think about it, its just nice to know it would be there if I wanted it in the Z06. The GS on paper or real world is certainly not a Z06, and at times I wish I went with a Z06 for the performance that I read about and see on the internet.

Id have to test drive a Z06 and really think about if the extra performance would be worth it to me. I cant use what the GS has now. I can only imagine what the seat of the pants feeling is in one of those.

That being said, the GS is the fastest thing Ive ever driven, and probably except for a buddys old 66 Chevelle, in the late 80's the fastest thing Ive been in. No other car Ive driven or have been in can handle like the GS, and it continues to amaze me everytime I drive it.

The removeable top was not a selling point for me but now that I have a car with it, I dont know that Id ever get one with out it. I was not a fan, but after a few nice drives on some cool nights with it off I love it to the point that it may prevent me from getting another Corvette in the future without one.

I think if your like me and the Corvette is the car you want to own, I cant see how you would ever be the slightest bit disappointed in the GS. I sigh and smile from ear to ear everytime I get in it and push that green button.

But boy that Z06 makes me a 2nd guesser. :)

Daekwan06 08-22-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by KneeDragr (Post 1578471058)
Easiest place to start is Friday at the Track for Summit. I will be at the October one.

http://www.summitpointfatt.com/

This is what I plan on for VIR next season.

http://www.corvettemuseum.com/regist.../virinfo.shtml

Thank you sir! Duly noted.

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u (Post 1578471300)
The Z is a better track car with a SKILLED driver. The average driver might go faster in the GS because It's more predictable and less tail-happy.:cheers:

Thats actually a great point. Guys love to brag about hp.. and for good reasons, it wins the dyno shootout contest everytime. But using that HP properly on a track, specifically a road course, where the limit is yourself & your skill. Big HP = big intimidation and lots of mistakes. For the average-medium skilled driver the GS would be easier to drive and post the lowest laptime. It has the brakes & suspension of the Z06.. without the whiplash power and additional torque of the LS7 that could get average-medium skilled drivers in trouble very quickly.

For the above average or expert drivers. Without a doubt the Z06 is the tool for the quickest way around the track.

Racer 08-22-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by KX (Post 1578486197)
A friend and I went to the Main Street event yesterday but they did not have even one Z06 or ZR1 to test drive.! So we went to a dealer that had them. Test drove Z06's but passed on the ZR1 as we are just not in that price range for a car.
They had tons of GS cars also.
As we are both C6 Z51 owners we did not even take a second look at a GS! The convertible had just too much bling look, pusedo wide butt, etc. Just not for us, especially with the top up, yuck, ugly! And that waterfall behind the seats. No way. Give me a coupe any day! They had some great deals on Z06's which where the best bang for the buck, considering. Each to his/her own....

:sleep:

redzone 08-22-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578457876)

I hate the GS so much I bought one.:thumbs:

I just think it's funny how people want to compare a modded car to a stock one. And I don't just mean the GS vs the Z06. It happens a good bit when the ZR1 is brought up in the Z06 section too.

redzone 08-22-2011 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by C6GrandSport10 (Post 1578458980)
off the topic but i cant help it

REDZONE You have one hell of a garage, very nicley done!!!

Thanks! :cheers:

QUAKEJAKE 08-22-2011 02:11 PM

Interesting ZO6 obsevation here. I went to a local dealer last Friday,it was the first time in 5 years that I did not see one C6Z on the showroom floor. All I thought about while climbing down the stairs from the second floor showroom was "this is great, at least I have mine":D

QUAKEJAKE 08-22-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeBT6 (Post 1578486572)
I have a manual GS with the clear top.

My dad had a couple of 62s and a 65 when I was kid. I never bought a new car before or ever even drove a C6 Corvette, but I knew I wanted one when I could afford it.

Money aside, just for the added performance, not that I would ever use it or even know how, but for me and the way I think about it, its just nice to know it would be there if I wanted it in the Z06. The GS on paper or real world is certainly not a Z06, and at times I wish I went with a Z06 for the performance that I read about and see on the internet.

Id have to test drive a Z06 and really think about if the extra performance would be worth it to me. I cant use what the GS has now. I can only imagine what the seat of the pants feeling is in one of those.

That being said, the GS is the fastest thing Ive ever driven, and probably except for a buddys old 66 Chevelle, in the late 80's the fastest thing Ive been in. No other car Ive driven or have been in can handle like the GS, and it continues to amaze me everytime I drive it.

The removeable top was not a selling point for me but now that I have a car with it, I dont know that Id ever get one with out it. I was not a fan, but after a few nice drives on some cool nights with it off I love it to the point that it may prevent me from getting another Corvette in the future without one.

I think if your like me and the Corvette is the car you want to own, I cant see how you would ever be the slightest bit disappointed in the GS. I sigh and smile from ear to ear everytime I get in it and push that green button.

But boy that Z06 makes me a 2nd guesser. :)

Trust me ,after going from an LS1 C5 to a LS2 C6 coupe to a LS7 Z you WILL feelthe difference and you will "Find "where to have fun with it.:thumbs:

JJC5 08-22-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE (Post 1578487364)
Trust me ,after going from an LS1 C5 to a LS2 C6 coupe to a LS7 Z you WILL feelthe difference and you will "Find "where to have fun with it.:thumbs:

That's exactly my history with my last 3 Corvette's too. I'm keeping my Z06 and wish I had got it in the first place.

Raazor 08-22-2011 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 48151097

FrankTank 08-22-2011 02:50 PM

I think it's funny that people start down-playing the HP of one model over another... yet look at how much business tuners/vendors make increasing the HP on these cars :lol:

or why have a Z06 when you can't really use the power anyway it's too much for the street

The 430HP of the C6 is too much even IMO..so by the above logic why have any corvette. :crazy:

I like pie :rock:

jackhall99 08-22-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1578487699)

Hot pie or cold pie? :lol:

slolane 08-22-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by FrankTank (Post 1578487699)
I think it's funny that people start down-playing the HP of one model over another... yet look at how much business tuners/vendors make increasing the HP on these cars :lol:

or why have a Z06 when you can't really use the power anyway it's too much for the street

The 430HP of the C6 is too much even IMO..so by the above logic why have any corvette. :crazy:

Frank, thats why I drive my 99 100hp Kia on the street. I am not even tempted to hot rod it at all. Oh it will do the posted on the hi-way alright you just don't want too:lol:

I only have the Corvette for waxing and going to Culvers with the crew:D

JoesC5 08-22-2011 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1578487127)
I hate the GS so much I bought one.:thumbs:

I just think it's funny how people want to compare a modded car to a stock one. And I don't just mean the GS vs the Z06. It happens a good bit when the ZR1 is brought up in the Z06 section too.

I can always drive my factory stock Z06 as slow as a factory stock GS, but a factory stock GS can't always drive their factory stock GS as fast as I can drive my factory stock Z06. :D

FrankTank 08-22-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by jackhall99 (Post 1578488046)
Hot pie or cold pie? :lol:

Both :D

Originally Posted by slolane (Post 1578488055)
Frank, thats why I drive my 99 100hp Kia on the street. I am not even tempted to hot rod it at all. Oh it will do the posted on the hi-way alright you just don't want too:lol:

I only have the Corvette for waxing and going to Culvers with the crew:D

:lol: :thumbs:

ohmy 08-22-2011 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1578488096)
I can always drive my factory stock Z06 as slow as a factory stock GS, but a factory stock GS can't always drive their factory stock GS as fast as I can drive my factory stock Z06. :D

:banghead:

yes, we know the Z06 is faster :lol:

yes, it's also 20K more expensive :eek:

yes, on the track you are the king! :flag:

yes, on the road it's hardly noticeable :cheers:

yes, if the price was the same I'd have a Z06 too :cool:

yes, I'd rather spend the $20K elsewhere :D

yes, I didn't buy a Z06 probably to similar reasons why you didn't buy a ZR1 :crazy:

yes, I'm happy that you're happy - congratulations on the Z06, great car! :flag:

BTW... the original comparison as per OPs post was supposed to be Vert vs performance, but as usual it turned into Z06 vs GS :lol:

xcutter 08-22-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by 3LZZ06 (Post 1578446663)
Was ZR1 a choice?...:lol:

Do they still make them? :lol:

JoesC5 08-22-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by ohmy (Post 1578488159)
:banghead:

yes, we know the Z06 is faster :lol:

yes, it's also 20K more expensive :eek:

yes, on the track you are the king! :flag:

yes, on the road it's hardly noticeable :cheers:

yes, if the price was the same I'd have a Z06 too :cool:

yes, I'd rather spend the $20K elsewhere :D

yes, I didn't buy a Z06 probably to similar reasons why you didn't buy a ZR1 :crazy:

yes, I'm happy that you're happy - congratulations on the Z06, great car! :flag:

BTW... the original comparison as per OPs post was supposed to be Vert vs performance, but as usual it turned into Z06 vs GS :lol:

Glad we are 100% agreement with each other except for your last statement. The OP's original thread title was "Z06 vs. Grand Sport"
and he specifically asked about a Z06 vs a Grand Sport convertible.