CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Mo's Electric Corvette- Lot of Pictures (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2857006-mos-electric-corvette-lot-of-pictures.html)

Vette Daddy 06-18-2011 02:47 AM

That is absolutely amazing.:thumbs:

jeffp1167 06-18-2011 05:52 AM

Very cool car! Would love to convert my 82 corvette to electric (probably have more power then the crossfire motor anyways)

Digital Disaster 06-18-2011 10:53 AM

This is very cool, and your engineering is absolutely first rate! Congratulations for having easily the most interesting C4 on the forum :cheers:

Mo_Bandy 06-18-2011 11:58 AM

Vette Daddy , Digital Disaster, Jeff,

Thank you!

Best regards,

MO

Churchkey 06-18-2011 12:24 PM

Thanks for the pix & progress report Mo, lookin good!

kenv 06-18-2011 09:26 PM

All I can say is, WOW!!! That is beyond COOL- :cool::thumbs::cheers:

Mo_Bandy 06-19-2011 02:24 AM

Thanks!
I will try to get some video's together
MO

Azriel 06-19-2011 12:02 PM

Awesome car :thumbs: Does the dash work like it used to?

Saw this video a while back, thought maybe it was you but this one is an 87

Mo_Bandy 06-19-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Azriel (Post 1577918871)
Awesome car :thumbs: Does the dash work like it used to?

Saw this video a while back, thought maybe it was you but this one is an 87

Yes thanks for sharing, that is the "Volt Vette" Micheal Shoop in Minneapolis, he beat me by having his finished first by a few months. He had his going in late 2008, I was on the road March of 2009. We have never met, but he seems like a nice guy..

He has reedited this a couple times, he first said his was the only in the world, now he is the only one in the US...
He has received plenty of ink from magazines, but I think it is probably due to his membership with the Sierra Club.

I do have to admit his web site is an interesting read. He had a team helping him with his build, I did all of my work (except machining) by myself.

In one of the blogs on the car the say the top speed is 40 mph and that he broke a drive shaft at 70. My top speed thus far has been over 70 I suspect I can reach about 85 ( this is mainly due to the battery voltages), so I'm not sure how true that is...

My system starts like any other key on / start.. I don't have to go through that long of a start up procedure.

He choose larger batteries weighing 70 pound each, while mine are 46 pounds. He is running 156V, I am running 288 Nominal volts. We are both running the same controller...

I chose to keep the car towards the light side, I'm at about 120 pounds heavier than stock my calculations showed that you reach a point where you are expending energy just to move the batteries around...

He is running his direct drive with I think a 4.56 or a 4.88 rear end, I pulled the automatic and I'm running a ZF 6 mostly in second gear with the stock 3.07 rear end. So I'm at about 5.53 :1 overall gear ratio I can shift with out a clutch and generally run 1-2 and occasionally 3rd if I am above 60 mph, the motor likes to run at about 3500 -4000 rpms..

I'm also running the power steering and the same DC /DC converter.

He is running the larger 11 in motor, they now have a HV version of his motor which is probably next on my list. I'm running a 9" motor, and at one time was thinking of doubling them up, but the machining cost would plus the additional motor would cost the more than the 11 HV motor... It is capable of 1400 amps and 192volt where my current motor is limited to about 900 amps and 154 volts.

So just like in the "ICE" ( internal combustion engine) world there are many ways to skin the proverbial cat :)

Yes I'm still using the tach and the speedometer, water temp and battery voltage. The battery warning light is always on and goes out as a warning that I'm dropping below 80% depth of discharge. Low water is set to show if the motor is over 375 degrees.

Best regards,

MO

cv67 06-19-2011 01:05 PM

I see Mo running this thing in the 12s soon :lol:

Just the sound of the tires in teh burnout box. Kinda creepy haha.

drmrman 06-19-2011 01:12 PM

*subscribe* awesome!

dizwiz24 06-19-2011 01:21 PM

This is an incredible project and undertaking,

You had/currently have a vette I could only have dreamed of (built 396 w/ supercharger).

heck I wish I could have bought your engine.

I honestly believe you know you could have gotten that thing to pass CA emisssions (with RT metallic substrate high-flow cats, and maybe a smaller cam (though I dont know what your cam specs were).

However, I believe you are the type of the person who wanted the extreme challenge of going something way different.

And it looks like you succeeded.

Very cool car.

jeffp1167 06-19-2011 03:28 PM

Why a 6 speed though? Why not run a lighter 4 speed since you don't use all the gears anyways?

jfb 06-19-2011 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mo_Bandy (Post 1577905533)
I pretty much drive around in second gear... 0 -65 LOL

No air at this time... They do have electric versions though LOL

thank you!

MO

No heater either. Nice installation job!

Mo_Bandy 06-19-2011 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1577919449)
This is an incredible project and undertaking,

You had/currently have a vette I could only have dreamed of (built 396 w/ supercharger).

heck I wish I could have bought your engine.

I honestly believe you know you could have gotten that thing to pass CA emisssions (with RT metallic substrate high-flow cats, and maybe a smaller cam (though I dont know what your cam specs were).

However, I believe you are the type of the person who wanted the extreme challenge of going something way different.

And it looks like you succeeded.

Very cool car.

DizWiz, WOW thank you for such kind words... Yes I was very close (the Nox at 15mph was 9 points too high from passing). It got to a point was tired of dumping money more into it, while it seems the agenda it to force the older cars off the road. Unfortunately in CA you have to use the OEM cats or "approved CA cats"...

So yes as you said, it was then I decided to make the change and just "go for it"... I have been taking baby steps and have been fortunate that most of my decisions on this project have been good. Keep posted I'm not finished yet :)

Best regards,
MO

Mo_Bandy 06-19-2011 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1577919324)
I see Mo running this thing in the 12s soon :lol:

Just the sound of the tires in teh burnout box. Kinda creepy haha.

OH YEAH!!! :willy:

MO

Mo_Bandy 06-19-2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by jeffp1167 (Post 1577920274)
Why a 6 speed though? Why not run a lighter 4 speed since you don't use all the gears anyways?

Hey Jeff,

Yes I could have went with a 4 or 5 speed, I was actually running my 4L60E for about a year, but the high stal converter was counter productive since I have the most torque at the low end, plus the efficiency of having to idle the motor to keep the pressure up.

You have a valid point, I choose the ZF6 mainly so I would not have to "engineer" new mounting brackets rear transmission mounts etc... so more for simplicity and the transmission was able to purchase brand new at a very low price...

MO

Mo_Bandy 06-20-2011 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jfb (Post 1577923935)
No heater either. Nice installation job!

Hi JFB,

Thank you!

Actually for the moment, ( as you can see) I have the heater capped off. However, I have a electric ceramic heater that I will be placing in its place, I just haven't got to it yet, I still have the vacuum to handle the various settings...

MO

Frizlefrak 06-20-2011 12:57 AM

Quite impressive. I've seen a handful of Fiero conversions to electric, but this is the first Corvette. On my next trip out to SoCal, I've gotta see this! Lunch is on me. :cheers:

Other ideas for plates....

"Smoglss" "Corvolt" "wattsup" "HumVett" :D

Tommy T-Bone 06-20-2011 08:16 AM

Way to go Mo! :thumbs: