CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   ** 24hrs of LeMans Race Day Thread ** (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2853101-24hrs-of-lemans-race-day-thread.html)

racerbob4 06-12-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by CDN_Wolf_eh (Post 1577857763)
... and now SPEED returns to it's normal NASCAR broadcast ... couldn't they at least show the Corvette Team getting their trophy??? :hide:

Not much class there Speed.

ColdBrew 06-12-2011 10:11 AM

Does anyone have a link to video of the Corvette team on the podium?

I can't believe Speed cut away!

Donny Brass 06-12-2011 10:11 AM

Imagine if we didn't have to dial it back..........

Congrats to Corvette Racing and 100 years of great cars

yellowvette837 06-12-2011 10:36 AM

... and now SPEED returns to it's normal NASCAR broadcast ... couldn't they at least show the Corvette Team getting their trophy??? :hide:

I could not believe that :banghead:

Bimmervet 06-12-2011 10:50 AM

Corvette Racing defied all odds and broke through to take the win in GTE-Pro. After a dominant run by the No. 64 machine, which led for over half the race, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Richard Westbrook’s race ended early after the Dane collided with a Porsche in Hour 16.

Down but not out, the Pratt & Miller squad turned its focus to the No. 63 crew of Olivier Beretta, Antonio Garcia and Tommy Milner, which ran solidly inside the top-three. With three hours to go, Milner was in the lead, thanks to the misfortunes of the No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, which battled electrical issues.

After handing over to co-driver Garcia, the Spaniard took the to the finish, giving Corvette its seventh Le Mans class victory in its 10th anniversary of its first triumph in 2001.

The No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari of Giancarlo Fisichella, Gimmi Bruni and Toni Vilander limped home in second, while BMW Motorsport’s Sebring-winning trio of Andy Priaulx, Dirk Muller and Joey Hand, in his Le Mans debut, completed the podium in third after overcoming an early race misfire.

Team Felbermayr-Proton’s Marc Lieb, Richard Lietz and Wolf Henzler were unable to repeat their class victory from a year ago but were again the highest-placed Porsche entrant in fourth. The No. 76 IMSA Performance Matmut Porsche 911 GT3 RSR completed the top-five in class.

Larbre Competition scored the GTE-Am class victory, leading a dominant 1-2 for the Jack Leconte-led squad. The No. 50 Corvette C6.R of Julien Canal, Gabriele Gardel and Patrick Bornhauser took a one-lap win over the team’s Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, run in conjunction with IMSA Performance Matmut.

The win, Larbre’s second consecutive at la Sarthe after taking top honors in GT1 last year, also marked a double victory for Corvette. It's the first for a manufacturer since 1997 when Porsche scored the overall and GT2 class victory.

shakedown067 06-12-2011 10:51 AM

I've never seen SPEED show more than the overall podium finish trophies. Heck, they didn't even give the second place guys their trophies...went straight from third to first. Now that was crappy!

Kappa 06-12-2011 11:03 AM

Speed doesn't control the cameras. The Euros do. The Eurosport coverage rarely mentioned any American team.

Azriel 06-12-2011 11:57 AM

Damn I wish I had stayed awake for this. Good job Corvette Racing!

WBHighwind 06-12-2011 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kappa (Post 1577858483)
Speed doesn't control the cameras. The Euros do. The Eurosport coverage rarely mentioned any American team.

Not to mention the overall lack of video coverage for anything other than prototype cars. Announcers even mentioned that last night.

Wayne O 06-12-2011 12:51 PM

Congratulations Team Corvette! When I went to bed last night (after seeing the lead Corvette crash) I wasn't sure what the morning would bring. Fired up the DVR, watched the final two hours and was thrilled to see Corvette retake the lead and go for the win. What an enormous achievement for Corvette and for all the entries. I can barely imagine the level of resources needed to compete at Le Mans. The physical and mental demands on the drivers have to be staggering.

A well deserved 100th Chevrolet Anniversary win at Le Mans! :thumbs:

Originally Posted by Azriel (Post 1577858933)
Damn I wish I had stayed awake for this. Good job Corvette Racing!

That's what they make DVR's for. :) I doubt they'll repeat the entire race but maybe they'll rebroadcast selected excerpts.

Subfixer 06-12-2011 12:54 PM

Congrats to the 73 Corvette GTE-Pro and 50 Corvette GTE-Am teams! Excellent teamwork and endurance!

VegasJen 06-12-2011 01:25 PM

Um, no. I'm surprised they interrupt their normal NASCRAP broadcasting to even bother with something as measly as a no-name race from France. :rolleyes:
Screw Speed. Streaming on-line.

Hirohawa 06-12-2011 01:54 PM

Congrats Team Corvette!

napacruzerc5 06-12-2011 04:34 PM

More than anything I was surprised at what I perceive as poor work by the emergency workers. At times they did not look all that coordinated. One guy responding with his flatbed seemed the norm for broken down cars. And I thought it looked rediculous for a worker waving a yellow flag in between kicking debris to the side. I'm so used to seeing swarms of emergency vehicles and workers responding to crashes. I realize that Le Mans is a looooong course but emergency response should be better than what I saw.

Any explanation for #74's crash? It looked to me like he caught the Porsche right at the corner and had to go offline to pass.

sundevilfan 06-12-2011 05:27 PM

GTE Acronym Means ??

Can anyone tell me for sure what GTE stands for? I am guessing Gran Turismo Endurance but I cannot Google anything that tells me. Thanks!

sspeed30043 06-12-2011 05:41 PM

Just got back into Paris, what a trip!!!

Left Le Mans about 8pm on the bullet train, which is a awesome ride!!

I have pictures of the podium taken from the finish line area, i'll put them up later, i'm beat....

By the way, Jan Magnussen is two doors down from me at the
hotel i'm staying in tonight.....

in the future if you want good coverage check out the feeds online

ustream, justintv etc....

Nitrous Oxide 06-12-2011 05:49 PM

I can't contain myself. Maybe I should go to a mall and do some chest thumping!

Z06_BluByU 06-12-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Subfixer (Post 1577859393)
Congrats to the 73 Corvette GTE-Pro and 50 Corvette GTE-Am teams! Excellent teamwork and endurance!

:iagree:

dont forget robertson racing as well! :flag:

pcguy2u 06-12-2011 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rob Willis (Post 1577850068)
Holy smokes!!!

Sad, I love McNish.... Argh..

Here's the crash in 15 frames............

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...post1577860528

:thumbs:

Donny Brass 06-12-2011 08:12 PM

spot the Ferrari guy if you can.......

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PMmje156oN...ys-640x960.jpg