CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   What all is reset when battery is disconnected? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2819348-what-all-is-reset-when-battery-is-disconnected.html)

OKsweetrides 04-19-2011 11:21 AM

What all is reset when battery is disconnected?

What all is reset when the battery is disconnected?
I'm tired of battery drain and am thinking of throwing a battery disconnect in for when I'm away from the car for a long time.

Will it affect the engine tune to have the battery disconnected for weeks at a time?

imavettegirl 04-19-2011 11:28 AM

yes.

Bill Curlee 04-19-2011 12:25 PM

NO it will NOT effect the tune or hurt the BCM/PCM or any other module. In FACT,,, the OWNERS MANUAL recommends "Disconnecting the Battery" for long periods of stowage.

8VETTE7 :iagree::thumbs:

When you disconnect the battery you will resert the learned LTFT data, all the FOB Memory data and fuel efficiency data will all reset & default to the factory settings. You will also have to re-sync your FOBS. You also cause the PCM to set all of the EMISSIONS NOT READY flage and if you have to get an emissions check, you will have to go thru a number of drive cycles before the FLAGS set to ready.

The LTFT Data will regenerate and learn after a short drive. You just have to reprogram all the seat/dash memory settings manually.

Why not just FIX the problems that are causing your battery to drain??? Its not all that difficult. Insert an AMP meter in series with the NEG Battery Cable and read the DC Amperage that the BCM and PCM draw after the system goes into sleep mode. It should be very close to 0.020 AMPS or 20 milliamps. At that minimum current draw, the car should be able to sit idle for inexcess of 30 days (seen it start without any issues after 2 months of storrage if the battery is in good condition and fully charged!)

OKsweetrides 04-19-2011 12:57 PM

Thanks for the replies!
As long as the engine tune doesn't go bye-bye I'm a happy camper!

tblu92 04-19-2011 01:36 PM

Agreee with Bill and 8vette7---------- ALSO-----The MORE modded your engine is the LONGER it will take to learn out---

Outlawwed Z06 04-19-2011 02:24 PM

They make a gaget that plugs into your cig lighter port with a 9v batery in it used for disconecting bateries and saving mem functions, radio presets, ect. not sure how long they last on a 9v batery tho. they sell them at walmart near the car bateries.

imavettegirl 04-19-2011 03:08 PM

i thought he was referring to the engine settings like fuel trim etc.

Outlawwed Z06 04-19-2011 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by imavettegirl (Post 1577385064)
i thought he was referring to the engine settings like fuel trim etc.

its all parallel circuitry, if the source stays hot, nothing will be lost. but like i said, i dont know how long the 9v will last, or how much amps the car pulls just sitting there.