CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   "Battery Brain" remote battery disconnect with low-voltage auto-disconnect (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2809536-battery-brain-remote-battery-disconnect-with-low-voltage-auto-disconnect.html)

pullin-gs 04-04-2011 11:31 AM

"Battery Brain" remote battery disconnect with low-voltage auto-disconnect

Interesting device, and very useful if it delivers.
The battery brain is a battery disconnect switch which has a remote hard-wired on/off switch (one version has a wireless switch?).
In addition, it shuts off automatically if voltage drops below 12.2v.

Caveat: Reviews on Amazon are bad. Some of the posted problems are user error on installation. Also, people buy these thinking it will cure a slow-discharge problem, when actually they have a battery issue and not an electrical problem.

Anyway, I got one and will post back.

PS: DO NOT PAY $89 RETAIL!
I got my for $30 delivered/no-tax with a buy-it-now bid on one an EBAY seller has. He has sold about 100 of them, and takes low offers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OR:MOTORS:1123

midyearvette 04-04-2011 11:42 AM

these units or the concept for them is quite functional ......
my 2004 gxp bonneville has a factory unit installed, my 90 year old mother drives the car ( about 5 miles a week)
and even if she leaves the headlights on over night because the auto feature confuses her, the batery still has enough reserve to start the car.......

magicv8 04-04-2011 11:49 AM

I put a Battery Buddy on my dad's Riviera years ago - and it worked well, but he didn't like opening the hood to reset it after the car sat for weeks, so I removed it. I think it's still in my garage I'll look if you email.

pullin-gs 04-07-2011 08:09 AM

Update:
I recieved it yesterday and installed it.
Construction was solid, although all high-current electrical bars and battery connectors (both the battery-side and "
+" post the car positive connects to) are aluminum. I would rather have copper, but I suppose it will work fine though.

It must be installed on the "plus" terminal, due to the internal electronics being hard-wired in to the plus terminal, with a negative wire coming out of it which gets grounded.

It works as promised. The disconnect circuit is some sort of selonoid actuated switch. The cutoff is via a push button switch, or automatic if battery drops below 12.2V for 30 seconds or longer.

Now I need to figure out a route through to the dash without cutting or drilling the SWC. Ideas anybody?

midyearvette 04-07-2011 08:12 AM

try going through the tach cable grommet???

Frankie the Fink 04-07-2011 08:19 AM

I've always figured if I needed a switch for something in the C1 I'd get a reproduction ashtray and drill a hole in that for mounting. Flip up the ashtray cover, hit the switch and you're done. For non-smokers of course though. Invisible, easy access and doesn't screw up anything original.

cramus 04-07-2011 06:19 PM

They work.

I have had one for 3 years. Mine has the remote feature. No more opening the hood to unscrew the green knob. So far so good.

Ron Miller 04-07-2011 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by cramus (Post 1577283297)
I have had one for 3 years. Mine has the remote feature. No more opening the hood to unscrew the green knob. So far so good.

I've got the same unit, for about the same length of time. More than once I've come in and left the parking lights on and the next time I get in the car, there's no power. After thinking for a couple of minutes, it dawns on me that the parking light switch is pulled on. A quick click of the remote restores power and the car will start normally, really pretty handy.

I also use mine to disconnect all power (except for the radio presets, which I bypassed around the unit with an in-line fuse) when we're out at a restaurant or other such place where I don't want to worry about someone trying to drive off with my car. A quick click on the remote disconnects the battery until the meal's over, and then another click restores power.

I recommend the Battery Brain, but only if you get the one operated by the remote control key fob. Having to pop the hood would be a bummer, might as well have a green knob.

:cheers: