CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   "How-To" replace Plastic A-Pillar trim pieces? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2806892-how-to-replace-plastic-a-pillar-trim-pieces.html)

madcadr 03-31-2011 08:41 AM

"How-To" replace Plastic A-Pillar trim pieces?

I know that there are post regarding swapping-out your outside a-pillars with carbon fiber ones. I am trying to replace my scratched a-pillars with new-conditioned used ones and was looking for a step-by-step on how to remove and re-install them.

Dealership wants $350 to do it - HA, HA, HA, HA...

Any help would be appreciated.

:thumbs:

SilverScorp 03-31-2011 09:22 AM

They want $350 to switch out A-pillars? Good God! :eek:

studiovette 03-31-2011 10:38 AM

Removing them is very simple but putting them back is a challenge. Do your new ones have the metal tracks on them? If so that helps but you will also need to get the weather stripping pushed back in to the metal tracks which could be a PITA without the right tools. I posted a how to a while back. Not detailed but explains some of it. You have 7 screws on each side. I believe its 3 screws and 4 hex screws. Gluck

Stingbill 03-31-2011 10:51 AM

:bigears

Andrew6@TheDoubleAA 03-31-2011 11:34 AM

pull back rubber at base by winsheld and hood area. Pull weather stripping away to reveal all screws. this will allow you to get to one of the hidden screws. the rest are pretty easy to see. unscrew all of them.

once all that is done remove the a pillar and like previous poster said if the new ones dont come with a track you'll need to drill out the rivets from the old one. It's not overly difficult and will save you a lot of time to just drill out. When you go to put back in you can just screw in and be fine. I did mine and didn't know about the drill out and have mine a bit screwed up.

glenB 03-31-2011 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by studiovete (Post 1577215271)
Removing them is very simple but putting them back is a challenge. Do your new ones have the metal tracks on them? If so that helps but you will also need to get the weather stripping pushed back in to the metal tracks which could be a PITA without the right tools. I posted a how to a while back. Not detailed but explains some of it. You have 7 screws on each side. I believe its 3 screws and 4 hex screws. Gluck

here's your post but the pic links are gone :confused2:

superdutymike27 03-31-2011 09:39 PM

Just replaced my stock A-pillars last week with CF.

madcadr 04-01-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by superdutymike27 (Post 1577221588)
Just replaced my stock A-pillars last week with CF.

Thanks everyone.

The dealer broke my front window last year by replacing the molding around it. They said that there are screws that hold the molding in (Or something like that) - And, the technician overtightened and cracked the windshield. He told me that if I replace my a-pillars myself to be carefull with reinstalling the seals (Or something with the screws) as not to overtighten and snap the glass again.

I have not heard of any horror stories like that on this forum so I may assume that the technician may have been "Not very good"...???

That is why I got a price from a dealer - I can't afford any problems with snapped glass right now.

I am taking to my buddy at his body shop to see how much he will charge me. If it is too high - Then, I will attempt myslef this weekend.

I am mechanically inclined - But, patience has been growin shorter the longer I am unemployed... :willy::willy:

Thanks again all.

And, NO - there is no metal track on the ones I will be replacing with...

Andrew6@TheDoubleAA 04-01-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by madcadr (Post 1577223922)
Thanks everyone.

The dealer broke my front window last year by replacing the molding around it. They said that there are screws that hold the molding in (Or something like that) - And, the technician overtightened and cracked the windshield. He told me that if I replace my a-pillars myself to be carefull with reinstalling the seals (Or something with the screws) as not to overtighten and snap the glass again.

I have not heard of any horror stories like that on this forum so I may assume that the technician may have been "Not very good"...???

That is why I got a price from a dealer - I can't afford any problems with snapped glass right now.

I am taking to my buddy at his body shop to see how much he will charge me. If it is too high - Then, I will attempt myslef this weekend.

I am mechanically inclined - But, patience has been growin shorter the longer I am unemployed... :willy::willy:

Thanks again all.

And, NO - there is no metal track on the ones I will be replacing with...

I'm not exacty sure how you could crack the glass? ? ? remove the phillups heads and the hex head screws like prevoiusly said. Make sure you pull back peice between the front fender and glass so that the a pillar slides out easier. For the most part you'll see any other areas it is attached. I think you even have to remove the A pillar on the inside> Once A pillar is removed you will have to drill out the rivets on the old one to get the metal tracts to go into the new one. (THIS IS A MUST - DO NOT GLUE TO A PILLAR) once you take the metal tract off and put on to new one set in place screw in and then take the weather stripping and push it into the tract. You will need to verify you got both sides of it in the tract. I started from the rear of the door and worked my way to the front of the door. If you were in Houston we could knock it out in about 20 minutes.

Andrew6@TheDoubleAA 04-01-2011 10:36 AM

If you have any questions feel free to give me a call

Andrew
832 457 9253

madcadr 04-02-2011 06:08 PM

Thanks Andrew - I will be attempting this evening.

Let you know how things go...

Andrew6@TheDoubleAA 04-03-2011 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by madcadr (Post 1577237649)
Thanks Andrew - I will be attempting this evening.

Let you know how things go...

no phone calls so I guess all went well?

lectricman 04-03-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew6 (Post 1577225315)
I'm not exacty sure how you could crack the glass? ? ? remove the phillups heads and the hex head screws like prevoiusly said. Make sure you pull back peice between the front fender and glass so that the a pillar slides out easier. For the most part you'll see any other areas it is attached. I think you even have to remove the A pillar on the inside> Once A pillar is removed you will have to drill out the rivets on the old one to get the metal tracts to go into the new one. (THIS IS A MUST - DO NOT GLUE TO A PILLAR) once you take the metal tract off and put on to new one set in place screw in and then take the weather stripping and push it into the tract. You will need to verify you got both sides of it in the tract. I started from the rear of the door and worked my way to the front of the door. If you were in Houston we could knock it out in about 20 minutes.

Andrew.i will tell u how they can very easily crack the windshield as mine was cracked by the dealer.I brought it in to have the rubber moulding replaced and to get the molding off u have to drill the rivets, well go in a lil to far with that drill bit and just touch the edge of the glass and its a done deal.The tech who worked on it didn't even noticed it was cracked as it was so small and hard to notice ( just went a lil to far with the drill bit, real easy to do once that bit pops thru and then grabs )The dealer replaced the windshield and they paid for it( around 1500 with heads up display oem glass too)Be very careful folks..