CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [ZR1] Dead battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2803589-dead-battery.html)

awesomezr1 03-26-2011 02:40 PM

Dead battery

Went to drive it today after setting for a week and was completely dead. Called AAA for a jump start and still nothing. this is a AC Delco battery with 590 CCA and was tested to only have 85CCA remaining.Should I bite the bullet and buy another battery of the same make or have it towed to the dealer under warranty? I did notice that I left it in first gear and found out today that I should have left it in reverse. What a bummer. I just purchased it last September :ack::ack:

Any suggestion ??

BT ZR1 03-26-2011 02:52 PM

Leave the car in reverse and if its going to sit for more than a day or two just throw it on a tender. I am convinced these cars draw more than we think.

Richie High PSI 03-26-2011 03:04 PM

I hate to sound dumb, but why do you have to leave it in reverse, instead of 1st or neutral?

Richie

awesomezr1 03-26-2011 03:19 PM

Dead battery

The guy from AAA did a charge at the battery and not under the hood does anyone know if this could damage the system ?

ufaj26 03-26-2011 03:41 PM

I believe I would have it checked out by the dealer and replaced in case there is some type of electrical thing going on. Should not go dead in a week. Mine has sat for longer than that and still cranked.

I agree with having it on a tender. I do that now just as a precaution.

awesomezr1 03-26-2011 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by ufaj26 (Post 1577169236)
I believe I would have it checked out by the dealer and replaced in case there is some type of electrical thing going on. Should not go dead in a week. Mine has sat for longer than that and still cranked.

I agree with having it on a tender. I do that now just as a precaution.

thanks

do you know why it has to be placed in reverse ?

ufaj26 03-26-2011 04:01 PM

No I don't. When parked in my garage I usually have mine in neutral. But I have been known to also leave it in first.

capevettes 03-26-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by awesomezr1 (Post 1577169265)
thanks

It doesn't. Only the 2005 6 speeds required that the car be shut down in reverse to prevent battery rundown. GM only recommends Reverse for parking as it is the gear with the most holding power. These cars have computer functions that never really allow the car to go to sleep.

Get a C-Tek 3300 battery tender and leave the car on it when not in use. I would also get a new AC Delco Professional Series battery. After a complete rundown, the battery is never the same.

GOLD72 03-26-2011 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by awesomezr1 (Post 1577169265)
thanks

It does not have to be put in reverse. GM changed the programming with MY2006 to avoid DBS.

I see that you bought a 2010. I am going to guess that your car was built well before September 2010. It could be many months just sitting on your dealer's lot. Meaning the battery was not kept up during that time. If this is true, I am not surprised that you are having battery problems. You should be eligible for a free replacement by your dealer.

awesomezr1 03-26-2011 04:56 PM

Thanks guys. I'm going to call GM Monday and get it towed to the dealer. Just hope that the driver doesn't screw it up loading on the flat bed. I am sure the dealer will give me hard time when I ask to have the battery replaced instead of just letting them charge it

:cheers:

rwpatte 03-26-2011 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by awesomezr1 (Post 1577169847)
Thanks guys. I'm going to call GM Monday and get it towed to the dealer. Just hope that the driver doesn't screw it up loading on the flat bed. I am sure the dealer will give me hard time when I ask to have the battery replaced instead of just letting them charge it

:cheers:

The dealer usually charges them before checking the electrical system. Some dealers will give you a hard time before replacing the battery, and some won't.
I rotate between my Z06 and my ZR1. I keep a battery tender on one or the other to insure that the battery is topped off.:cheers:

Reciprocal 03-26-2011 07:53 PM

No way in hell I get it towed for a battery, I'd rather pay for a new one than go this route.

Reciprocal 03-26-2011 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by awesomezr1 (Post 1577169059)
The guy from AAA did a charge at the battery and not under the hood does anyone know if this could damage the system ?

The only reason for not connecting to the battery is to avoid sparking off a hydrogen bomb if it's gassing, or to provide a connection point with more surface area. No harm caused.

edittman1 03-28-2011 10:05 PM

I highly doubt that the reverse trick keeps it from draining.

I think its just that the computer slowly drains it in about 7 days.

camirocz 03-29-2011 06:39 AM

7 days is ridiculous. It is not a normal situation.I agree that your car sat for a long period on a g.m lot somewhere and the battery took a beating while it was there.

awesomezr1 03-29-2011 09:06 AM

Taking the beast to the dealer today for a battery check. Spoke to the Corvette mechanic at the dealership yesterday and found out that the 2011 ZR1 has a $100.00 option for a battery tender. You would think that GM would make everyone aware of this problem upfront, but I guess since we are only spending $100K plus it's no big deal

awesomezr1 04-01-2011 01:08 PM

After inspection GM failed to replace the battery under warranty, but the dealer in Maryland, Koons Chevrolet stepped up and replaced it at no charge First class operation :cheers:

ufaj26 04-01-2011 01:12 PM

After inspection GM failed to replace the battery under warranty

What a crock!!!!

:cheers::cheers: To the dealership !!!!!

narush 04-02-2011 11:44 AM

I have to keep my on a charger as well or the damn car is dead in a few days. I just went ahead and out a deep cycle gel battery in it and damn if the car does not drain that battery as well.

GForceSS 04-04-2011 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by capevettes (Post 1577169647)
It doesn't. Only the 2005 6 speeds required that the car be shut down in reverse to prevent battery rundown. GM only recommends Reverse for parking as it is the gear with the most holding power. These cars have computer functions that never really allow the car to go to sleep.

Get a C-Tek 3300 battery tender and leave the car on it when not in use. I would also get a new AC Delco Professional Series battery. After a complete rundown, the battery is never the same.

:iagree: