CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   92 LT1 stalling issue? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2800229-92-lt1-stalling-issue.html)

midweekwarrior 03-21-2011 04:44 PM

92 LT1 stalling issue?

hey so on the way to savannah this past weekend i ran over a 18 wheeler tire at about 77mph (ouchies).

Long story short, there was no damage as i could tell but today (monday another ouchies) my car cut it self off as i was accelerating form a dead stop and lost oil pressure.

Any ideas or troubleshooting tips would be much needed =)

PS, my 1972 stingray is almost done, needed a new daily driver...

92ragtop 03-21-2011 06:31 PM

Hard to believe you hit a tire that size and didn't sustain any damage. I assume you have full oil in the crankcase? If not, I'd look for puncture damage to the oil cooler or the oil pan. If you've got oil in it, but no pressure, then I've got no suggestions.

pcolt94 03-21-2011 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 92ragtop (Post 1577122397)
Hard to believe you hit a tire that size and didn't sustain any damage. I assume you have full oil in the crankcase? If not, I'd look for puncture damage to the oil cooler or the oil pan. If you've got oil in it, but no pressure, then I've got no suggestions.

:iagree:
THEN
I would say start looking at the sensors and wiring. Look at some of the electrical and check as much as you can

Offhand if you really lost oil pressure, that might be a reason why the engine stopped because you could have lost power to the fuel pump from the pressure switch….Just a thought

If you are really worried about oil pressure get mechanical gauge for test. (what a pain)

If the oil pan is squashed, it may affect the oil pick up.:(

midweekwarrior 03-22-2011 07:31 AM

i got engine codes 16 and 32 offa my system =/. It has oil, no damage to the oil pan etc... It still drives, just gotta get it going.

after looking at the codes im thinking it's some wiring lose in the front that connects the distrbutor. . maybe that opti w/e wire.

Z06_BluByU 03-22-2011 08:12 AM

there is a wire to the digital oil sensor on the underside of the engine above the oil filter.. make sure it didnt get ripped out/damaged..

78pacer 03-22-2011 08:58 AM

Wow...an 18 wheeler tire. Damn. I got a real bad visual on this one. :ack: How far down the road did you push it, and how did you get it dislodged?
Mike

jaa1992 03-22-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by midweekwarrior (Post 1577126691)
i got engine codes 16 and 32 offa my system =/. It has oil, no damage to the oil pan etc... It still drives, just gotta get it going.

after looking at the codes im thinking it's some wiring lose in the front that connects the distrbutor. . maybe that opti w/e wire.

OK, you have the dreaded opti codes! Check the harness and connections from the opti to the connector on the passenger side.
One end or the other could be loose, or not making good contact.
Also check the connections on the ICM and coil (front side of passenger head.

Good luck, hope it is that simple!

midweekwarrior 03-22-2011 10:19 PM

yeah, opti spark it is.. from my deductions. I checked the wiring voltages, and got my 12 hot and 5. (my friend has a LT-1 caaammmmaaarrrrooo - we call it loud varoom)

I figured out how to stall it on que as well.
>Dead stop and hard accel, i got a short miss and then car died.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Getting a new opti. I'll post some pictures or something as i tear into it.

Thankfully, the car drove all the way to savannah and back with only one stall after the tire incident. No pushing either, or tire to take out, i managed to luck out.