CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   whats the best way to get rid of my cats (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2799629-whats-the-best-way-to-get-rid-of-my-cats.html)

danamals16 03-20-2011 07:59 PM

whats the best way to get rid of my cats

i have a 94 lt1 i just put on shorties, someone just gave them to me so i decided to put them on, i was wanting to get rid of my cats because i dont need them or want them. so what do i have to do to get rid of them and keep the shorties on

Railroadman 03-20-2011 08:03 PM

Don't really care if you take your shorts off or not! On second thought, please don't! :ack:

As for your cats, take them for a ride in the country and toss them out near a barn - hopefully they won't find their way home! :rofl:

danamals16 03-20-2011 08:06 PM

they always do, but seriously can we be serious about this

PLRX 03-20-2011 08:10 PM

take the cats to a muffler shop. They sell them.

danamals16 03-20-2011 08:17 PM

whats the best way to take them off sorry about that i should have specified that from the start i dont have them off i was wondering the best way to replace them completely to get rid of them, what do i get and where do i get it

radar502 03-20-2011 08:21 PM

I put after market ones on my 96 LT-4 was ok , But after awile just cut them off ,fabed a pipe in there place.. No big deal right not right .. If you don't have the PCM or is it the ECM .. The box under the hood on my 96.. Your 94 might have something different . If you don't remamp the box codes will come up .. Need to be ermaped to run with out cats. I love mine .. But have to check with your state laws to make sure you can do that.. My is just off road use . Right..

RetiredSFC 97 03-20-2011 08:22 PM

You could go to a muffler shop and have them take them off and then replace them with pipes, if they'll do that.

Or you can order straight pipes form one of the Corvette sites to replace them.

Is that what you're asking?

danamals16 03-20-2011 08:26 PM

i do not have to emissions so i dont ever have to worry about that i just need to make sure my car still runs but with it being obd I i dont think it will even know there gone im pretty sure the cats have never been replace so there probably plugged up anyways. so i just want them gone as nicely and efficiently as possible

danamals16 03-20-2011 08:26 PM

yes thats what im asking thank u but would anybody happen to know what websites to go on to get straight pipes

mike100 03-20-2011 09:17 PM

send them to somebody in California- they made it illegal to buy used ones, but they have no way to track everything. The LT1 integrated pipe and cat is hard to get here.

zr1fred 03-20-2011 09:40 PM

A. Most shops won't take cats off, it's illegal, and the fine is large.

B. The 96 will set codes without cats....they have a third O2 sensor behind the cat, the 95 down don't, and won't.

C. Unless you have a noticeable problem, the LT1 cats dont normally plug, and the only thing you'll increase is noise.

D. Someday you'll want to sell the car, and odds are not having cats will be a BIG issue.

E. If you want to get rid of the cats cheaply, punch them out with a rod. They'll stiil look stock, and all it will cost is your time.

F. They're worth big bucks in
California

G. The shorty headers should bolt right up to the cats.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 03-21-2011 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1577113332)
Don't really care if you take your shorts off or not! On second thought, please don't! :ack:

As for your cats, take them for a ride in the country and toss them out near a barn - hopefully they won't find their way home! :rofl:

Looks like you got some good answers, so I have to enjoy this one...:rofl: :lolg:

bac22 03-21-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by zr1fred (Post 1577114352)

E. If you want to get rid of the cats cheaply, punch them out with a rod. They'll stiil look stock, and all it will cost is your time.

You'll actually lose some performance punching them out due to the increase space in the cat which causes a buffering effect of the exhaust as it flows through the empty cat...straight pipe is the best option.

danamals16 03-21-2011 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by bac22 (Post 1577118020)
You'll actually lose some performance punching them out due to the increase space in the cat which causes a buffering effect of the exhaust as it flows through the empty cat...straight pipe is the best option.

thank u that was pretty much the answer ive been waiting for

RetiredSFC 97 03-22-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by danamals16 (Post 1577113570)
yes thats what im asking thank u but would anybody happen to know what websites to go on to get straight pipes

Try corvette central, or Mid America Motorworks.

mmracecars 03-22-2011 12:30 PM

on my 95 i cut a small square out of each cat and broke the insides up and emptied them and welded the hole up,did not notice any change in power or sound. as far as being clogged up they had 135,000 miles on them and all the material that came out of them was super clean,you could see thru every piece i took out

jaa1992 03-22-2011 01:31 PM

When I purchased my 92 it had hollowed out cats on it.
Would always pop and boom on deceleration.
Found some slightly used ones and had them on until I got long tube headers and bullet cats. Even though my car doesn't see street duty anymore the bullet cats will stay.

FYI - it is illeagal to remove a catalytic converter on a car that came with one (federal rap)