CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Two 63 Corvettes At Ohio Estate Auction Tuesday (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2790809-two-63-corvettes-at-ohio-estate-auction-tuesday.html)

vettnut 03-07-2011 09:58 AM

Two 63 Corvettes At Ohio Estate Auction Tuesday

http://www.muncysells.com/auction_detail.php?id=153137
Anyone look at these Corvettes? Pictures other than what is on this auctioneers site?
Make a guess what they will sell for. Not what what your value gude says.
Throw your value guide in the trash.
My guess is 32-36K for each. This is NOT what I would pay.
It simply does not matter what it will cost someone to restore these old cars. There are many people with money, who simply want their own Corvette Project to do. I have been to these estate auctions before. Crazy money. Better than BJ if properly advertied. I predict we will see more and more of these auctions as us old baby boomers age. Please post pictures or personal information on these cars.
I saw a one owner 70 Chevelle SS454 sell for mid 30K at a farm auction. It needed a full body off. It was factory numbered from the carb down. I checked her out. A man from Illinois bought her. He had never owned or restored a car before. He said he was not sure what he was going to do with it. Wow. I hope it won't be parked for another 30 years.
DG

Railroadman 03-07-2011 10:04 AM

More pics here:

http://bringatrailer.com/2011/03/03/...ette-projects/

And a thread already working in the "C1-2 for sale" section

C2Driver 03-07-2011 12:26 PM

There's not a lot of information to go on at either website. Lots of mismatched parts. Some gauges in one car are from a '64. From the auction site itself, it looks like the drive train for the tan one is being auctioned separately from the car. :willy: Although the other website, bringatrailer, suggests otherwise. Either way, there's a lot of work required on both vehicles. Given the ambiguity of information provided and unknown condition of frame, birdcage, etc., I'll guesstimate a maximum of $25K takes both cars and quite probably less.

My 2 cents. :ack:

rovers2000 03-07-2011 04:08 PM

i would think its not a bad deal at 25k for both cars.

Don Sims 03-08-2011 11:21 AM

any one go to this?what they go for?

thesteve 03-08-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Don Sims (Post 1576996542)
any one go to this?what they go for?

<-----Also curious.:lurk:

narlee 03-08-2011 01:27 PM

:bigears

go bucks 03-08-2011 05:50 PM

I just returned from this auction............
I currently own a 63 coupe auto with a/c, and have had several in years past; having bought my first one in 1971.....this being said, I may not be the world's authority, but it's not my first rodeo. Both of these cars were in desperate need of a serious restoration; The tan on tan had several past frame repairs and would probably need a new one, the car had been sitting for years and would require a full body off restoration. The silver one, in past years, had a nose installed and would need serious attention. They both had the original motors, (not in the car) and it was implied that the silver car was originally fuel injected -------it had an RF block, but the "F" looked suspicious to me ----- could have been right but it just make me scratch my head. ( no fuel unit )
Anyway.....the tan car brought around 35,000 and the silver brought 28,000 --------I was extremely surprised. I guess someone wanted it more than I.
I attended with the intention of purchasing one if the price was right......well......I didn't even get the opportunity to bid !!!!

thesteve 03-08-2011 06:18 PM

Unreal!!!!!! Don't these buyers shop around??!!! Maybe the "find" story makes them a *little* more valuable....but c'mon.

Thanks for the update!:cheers:

mscaggs 03-08-2011 06:21 PM

Holy She-ite! That is crazy.

5thvet 03-08-2011 06:22 PM

Wow......

Dan Hampton 03-08-2011 06:22 PM

Just a repeat of the '58 that gaveled at $37,500 that someone posted earlier this week. Just a case of a lot more money than brains.

dahogan 03-08-2011 06:47 PM

Thanks, and Go Bucks. Hope we still have a coach tonight.

go bucks 03-08-2011 06:52 PM

Yes, I certainly hope so also............he's a good guy !!!!!

C2Driver 03-08-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton (Post 1577000404)
Just a repeat of the '58 that gaveled at $37,500 that someone posted earlier this week. Just a case of a lot more money than brains.

:iagree: That's just crazy. Some ill-informed/non-informed bidders attended these auctions. :yesnod:

vette888 03-08-2011 07:06 PM

Go ahead tell me I'm nuts

I would of paid the 28k for the silver 63 swc. I know you guys are gonna eat me alive. If the person buying the car was going to do most of the work himself in his shop there was room for profit in my meager opinion. Look at the prices the properly restored swc's are bringing. Yes, paying less would make it easier. But, its getting harder all the time to find these older vettes especially the 63 swc's.

go bucks 03-08-2011 07:33 PM

More power to you ....... I certainly agree with anyone who believes in their own skills and abilities to restore any Corvette. I subscribe to a profound doctrine that promotes one's skills for the purpose of fun or profit. I am somewhat convinced however, that the potential for profit for either of these cars is considerably restricted.

I am pleased that the cars will eventually be back on the road........That's what it's all about.

gold63 03-08-2011 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by go bucks (Post 1577000105)
I just returned from this auction............
I currently own a 63 coupe auto with a/c, and have had several in years past; having bought my first one in 1971.....this being said, I may not be the world's authority, but it's not my first rodeo. Both of these cars were in desperate need of a serious restoration; The tan on tan had several past frame repairs and would probably need a new one, the car had been sitting for years and would require a full body off restoration. The silver one, in past years, had a nose installed and would need serious attention. They both had the original motors, (not in the car) and it was implied that the silver car was originally fuel injected -------it had an RF block, but the "F" looked suspicious to me ----- could have been right but it just make me scratch my head. ( no fuel unit )
Anyway.....the tan car brought around 35,000 and the silver brought 28,000 --------I was extremely surprised. I guess someone wanted it more than I.
I attended with the intention of purchasing one if the price was right......well......I didn't even get the opportunity to bid !!!!

I had thought that the Silver coupe was an automatic? Is that correct??
RF code would not make sense if it were an auto.

Syd