CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Viper ACR Street Manners (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/2787428-viper-acr-street-manners.html)

dsevo 03-02-2011 11:01 AM

Viper ACR Street Manners

I know there are some ACR owners on here so thought I'd ask. How is the ACR to drive on the street? I'm considering buying one, but I want something I can take on a few hundred mile road trip with the old lady. Will it knock your teeth out on freeway expansion joints? What about gorund clearance for going into driveways and such? I wouldn't daily drive it, but I would drive it regularly. I love my Z06, and its plenty fast, but the ACR has me thinking. Thanks for any input you have.

Mopar Jimmy 03-02-2011 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by dsevo (Post 1576938886)
I know there are some ACR owners on here so thought I'd ask. How is the ACR to drive on the street? I'm considering buying one, but I want something I can take on a few hundred mile road trip with the old lady. Will it knock your teeth out on freeway expansion joints? What about gorund clearance for going into driveways and such? I wouldn't daily drive it, but I would drive it regularly. I love my Z06, and its plenty fast, but the ACR has me thinking. Thanks for any input you have.

Someday the Good LORD willing I will be stepping up to a 2008-10 ACR Viper also, and look forward to the response, although I think I know what the response will be. That being, its fine for what you want to do but don't expect the nanny controls/creature comforts of the vettes, which most ACR owners don't seem to even want or care about, and exepct a little tighter cockpit/racecar feel (less roomy) when driving a couple hours vs. the vette! :thumbs:

Looking forward to the ACR owners responses also and DO IT, get the VIPER ACR Bro, its by far the baddest azz American Sports Car made! :cheers:

BSheppard 03-02-2011 08:50 PM

I have driven a new 2008 coupe and it is a much better than my old 2002 GTS for daily driving but it is no where near a C6Z. I also own a C6Z and it does a really good impression of a normal car when need be. The Viper is a lot like a motorcycle in that it is of little use as transportation but LOTS of fun as just a toy. Some of this is just that there are places you can park a Vette and no one will notice, but the Viper will draw all kinds of attention. All that said if I had to sell my Vette or Viper, the chevy would be on auto trader first.

4-Sho 03-06-2011 12:47 PM

I had my ACR modified before I ever took delivery but I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. I swapped the KW v3 suspension for Moton Clubsports and that allowed me to run a "softer" spring rates. The ride is still stiffer than a ZR1 in "sport" mode but I wouldn't really call it harsh. Expansion joints are not a problem, but the Viper does like to follow grooves in the road so you have to always be alert.

I have my ACR lowered to a "rough track" setting and I haven't really have a problem with ground clearance... yet.

I have modified my exhaust so it is louder than stock, and it can be a bit tiresome on long trips. The stock exhaust should be quiet enough that it wont be a problem on long trips. I find the Viper's seat to be very comfortable and supportive. Overall, the Corvette is a better touring car... but the Viper is definitely bearable if you really like the car.

The number one reason I wouldn't use the ACR as a daily driver is because of all the attention it draws. If you're not in the mood to have people following you while taking cell phone video/pictures, tailgaters, people wanting to race, crowds around your car while parked, cops tailing you just looking for a reason to pull you over... leave the Viper in the garage.

gilly6993 03-06-2011 04:39 PM

You'll get different answers from owners but for me I am not driving it on a long trip....a few hundred miles.....maybe....but I wouldn't look forward to the drive.....as far as an everyday driver I'm lucky enough not to have to....

on the othe hand I have never owned a car like it.....it's amazing and scary all in one....it demands respect.....I track it and probably drive it at 75% of it's potential....and it's still scary.....for me it's a weekend car and I'll go get groceries in or run some errands...if you don't like attention, and I mean serious attention, it's not a good car for you....

To sum it up you can drive it every day but I think it may get old fast....

PDCjonny 03-07-2011 11:18 AM

Believe it or not, the ACR has MORE ground clearance than my GTS.
With the factory settings the ACR it is about 5".
My GTS is only 2-3/4" stock because of the design of the lip on the underside of the nose.
I have always lightly scrapped the GTS on my driveway unless I approach at a sharp angle, can go straight in with my ACR.

dsevo 03-07-2011 09:31 PM

Thanks for the info guys. The responses are pretty much exactly what I expected, and it sounds like the perfect toy/track car.