CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Rack and Pinion rebuild kit? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2783630-rack-and-pinion-rebuild-kit.html)

brrymnvette 02-24-2011 12:05 PM

Rack and Pinion rebuild kit?

Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rack and pinion? I have a seal leaking and I'm not going to spend $400 for a rack if I can rebuild this one with new seals.

alextz 02-24-2011 03:56 PM

steering rack rebuild

Zip corvettes will do a rebuild for $225 with core exchange.

IF you go to turnone, which is what I recommend, the guy is an ex GM steering engineer, he will remanufacture the rack with rack dyno testing, $250 for that.

lucky131969 02-24-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by brrymnvette (Post 1576883190)
Anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the rack and pinion? I have a seal leaking and I'm not going to spend $400 for a rack if I can rebuild this one with new seals.

So you consider a steering rack "rebuilt", just changing the seals? Do you work for Autozone? :rofl:

Cratecruncher 02-24-2011 05:08 PM

Do you know exactly where it's leaking. Reason I ask is because I had a small but messy leak coming from the unit near the steering pinion. When I replaced my harmonic balancer the hydraulic lines had to be detached. The little neoprene o-rings were hard as a rock and triangle shaped. Buttoned it back together with fresh o-rings and no more leak! Of course, your results may vary.....

C5FORFUN2 02-24-2011 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher (Post 1576885950)
Do you know exactly where it's leaking. Reason I ask is because I had a small but messy leak coming from the unit near the steering pinion. When I replaced my harmonic balancer the hydraulic lines had to be detached. The little neoprene o-rings were hard as a rock and triangle shaped. Buttoned it back together with fresh o-rings and no more leak! Of course, your results may vary.....

Good tip, that's what mine is doing although not too bad yet.

brrymnvette 02-24-2011 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by lucky131969 (Post 1576885651)
So you consider a steering rack "rebuilt", just changing the seals? Do you work for Autozone? :rofl:

I consider it rebuilt when it's been rebuilt. But good try at being a smart ass.

Originally Posted by Cratecruncher (Post 1576885950)

Yeah, I know exactly where it's leaking. Had it on the rack at our shop already to pinpoint exactly where it was. So, it's either rebuild it or waste money to get a rebuilt one when I'm more than capable of doing it myself. But, that's a good tip though. :thumbs:

3dwaxmill 09-03-2012 03:51 PM

Did you ever find a seal kit for your rack and pinion?

3boystoys 09-04-2012 09:10 AM

Good time to swap the harmonic balancer out while the rack is out.