CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Kenwood DNX 6160 back up camera help (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2771017-kenwood-dnx-6160-back-up-camera-help.html)

cincykid 02-04-2011 09:22 AM

Kenwood DNX 6160 back up camera help

So I had the DNX 6160 installed in my 2006 C6. I received a free backup camera but was wondering how I tie it into just the reverse function for powering it and so the 6160 automatically goes to the backup camera in reverse? Anyone????? Thanks!

achilds 02-04-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by cincykid (Post 1576700510)
So I had the DNX 6160 installed in my 2006 C6. I received a free backup camera but was wondering how I tie it into just the reverse function for powering it and so the 6160 automatically goes to the backup camera in reverse? Anyone????? Thanks!

Do you have the manual for the dnx6160? Any way there should be a connection from the back of the unit that you can run to the back of the car and plug into the camera. It will be labelled and color coded just like it says in the manual. You can get the manual from the Kenwood website if you don't have it. Of course you will have to take the console out to get at the back of the unit. Once plugged in it will come on every time you shif into reverese. I think the camera will need to be given seperate power. You can use the reverse lights fuse spot to take access 12V for the cam. There are a number of different settings you can set the camera to as well. The manual will tell you how to do that also.

cincykid 02-04-2011 10:14 AM

Cool. I have the manual and removing the console is no problem, I already saw the RCA for the video in, just didnt know what the "reverse" funstion would entain. I like things simple, so I may just wire power to the cam on ignition in on position and then just switch the source on the DNX when I want to see the camera even if I am driving. It is more for if/when my wife drives it anyway. Its our "date car" for her, but my "let her rip and do my own thing" car when I have her all to myself :)

achilds 02-04-2011 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cincykid (Post 1576700991)
Cool. I have the manual and removing the console is no problem, I already saw the RCA for the video in, just didnt know what the "reverse" funstion would entain. I like things simple, so I may just wire power to the cam on ignition in on position and then just switch the source on the DNX when I want to see the camera even if I am driving. It is more for if/when my wife drives it anyway. Its our "date car" for her, but my "let her rip and do my own thing" car when I have her all to myself :)

If you are going to give it power off something else I think the Kenwood has a couple of power switches you can use for the 12 volt source. I have a DNX7100 and it has two 12V sources you can access from the touch screen.

gunterwalker 02-04-2011 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by cincykid (Post 1576700510)

I've heard the cameras are a waste because you have to wait around 15 seconds for the screen to come on after you start the car up. I'm already driving in 15 seconds. And do you reallly need a back up camera in a Vette? I had one on my Tahoe and one on my truck but I don't ever use them. Mirrors are good enough with me.

To answer your questions the camera should automatically come on in reverse. There is a plug in the head unit for the camera.

cincykid 02-04-2011 11:15 AM

Like I said, its more of a wifey thing than for me. Plus, if its wired to turn on when ignition on, it will be there as soon as its in reverse anyway. I hear ya though, I am "on and gone" when I get in my truck usually. It was free, so screw it. I DO have one on my 2500HD lifted truck because its so much easier for me to back up to one of my trailers and line the hitch up using it instead of getting in and out 4 times for the big trailers. That one is wired so I can turn it on and off NOT in reverse though. That was a freebie also.

achilds 02-04-2011 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by gunterwalker (Post 1576701555)
I've heard the cameras are a waste because you have to wait around 15 seconds for the screen to come on after you start the car up. I'm already driving in 15 seconds. And do you reallly need a back up camera in a Vette? I had one on my Tahoe and one on my truck but I don't ever use them. Mirrors are good enough with me.

To answer your questions the camera should automatically come on in reverse. There is a plug in the head unit for the camera.

Well mine comes on within a second. I use the mirrors as well. Ever run over a little kiddie bike? The reverse camera is a cool and useful item on any car.

gunterwalker 02-05-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by achilds (Post 1576706968)
Well mine comes on within a second. I use the mirrors as well. Ever run over a little kiddie bike? The reverse camera is a cool and useful item on any car.

No kids here so no kiddie bikes. Its why I we can afford a vette, RV, a large boat, and a sl550.... JK I see that it would be useful. We will have them one day... :cheers: