CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Will Acrylic Enamel spary paint hold up on my brake calipers? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2770633-will-acrylic-enamel-spary-paint-hold-up-on-my-brake-calipers.html)

Neck Breaker 02-03-2011 04:11 PM

Will Acrylic Enamel spray paint hold up on my brake calipers?

I've been searching paint shops online to find someone who can mix a Mag Red I into a rattle can or something really close to Mag Red. I found a place but they are not sure if it would handle the heat from the calipers. They can mix Acrylic Enamel into a spray can that can handle up to maybe 400 degrees.

I've already painted my calipers with the black caliper paint that can handle 900 degrees but now I think I want to color match the calipers with the car. Would the black caliper paint help with the heat if I was to spray the acrylic over them? I don't want my car looking like garbage so any advice would be great right now.

How hot will calipers get during the summer months? I don't track or drag my car.

Thanks

34RedRage 02-03-2011 04:31 PM

checkers auto parts sells duplicolor caliper paint. it is red and will be real close to your mag red color.....

SaberD 02-03-2011 04:39 PM

i doubt it. normal acrylic enamel isnt made to withstand high heat. use caliper paint or engine enamel.

jrose7004 02-03-2011 04:40 PM

I use VHT in a rattle can from AutoZone.

99 vett babycar 02-03-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by SaberD (Post 1576695192)
i doubt it. normal acrylic enamel isnt made to withstand high heat. use caliper paint or engine enamel.

:iagree:

corvettemods1 02-03-2011 04:45 PM

We carry really heavy duty caliper paint that comes in red on our site. Check it out:thumbs:

manley845 02-03-2011 05:02 PM

So, what IS caliper and engine paint? Enamel, acrylic, or laquer?

jrprich 02-03-2011 05:05 PM

I painted my calipers with plain old Rustoleum paint from a can....it has lasted fine for over 4 years......so yes, I think any decent spray paint will be fine.

Neck Breaker 02-03-2011 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by corvettemods1 (Post 1576695244)
We carry really heavy duty caliper paint that comes in red on our site. Check it out:thumbs:

I will check your site to see if you have something close to Mag Red.

Originally Posted by jrose7004 (Post 1576695202)
I use VHT in a rattle can from AutoZone.

I use the VHT paint from AutoZone too. But I like to get the Mag Red color instead of black. I don't think the Fire engine Red or blue would look good on my car. I thought about going yellow but it's a little too bright for me and have to deal with the brake dust.

So far it's looking like I'm stuck on black for now.

Gitusum 02-03-2011 05:40 PM

do not go yellow!!! :ack::U

romeospete 02-03-2011 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by jrprich (Post 1576695423)
I painted my calipers with plain old Rustoleum paint from a can....it has lasted fine for over 4 years......so yes, I think any decent spray paint will be fine.

:iagree: Really, any good quality spray paint will work. You don't need the high heat paint for every day use.

CHJ In Virginia 02-03-2011 06:50 PM

You will be fine with a regularly driven car. Under normal driving conditions, the calipers barely get hot. Feel them the next time you finish a drive and park the car. If you do canyon carving or agressive mountain driving in the western part of the state, they will get hot enough to possibly blister normal paint.

34RedRage 02-03-2011 08:03 PM

i painted my calipers about 2 years ago with the duplicolor caliper paint, they still look as good as they did when they were first done....

Vetteman Jack 02-03-2011 08:38 PM

I think a good spray paint will work fine for normal driving. However, have you considered powdercoating - Corvette-Pilot here on the forum does an excellent job and can probably do mag red for you.

DeeGee 02-04-2011 03:04 AM

:iagree: The outside of the calipers doesn't get very hot.

I also used Rustoleum paint. I did a pad change this week and was going to repaint them but I didn't bother as they are still OK.

bighank 02-04-2011 01:15 PM

I used the Duplicolor brush on about 4 years ago and they still look great

Originally Posted by vettesplus (Post 1576697042)
i painted my calipers about 2 years ago with the duplicolor caliper paint, they still look as good as they did when they were first done....

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
Secret is cleaning the calipers well and using several coats of paint.
Did this when replcing pads so I could paint the caliper completely.

Used red Duplicolor for about $15.

romeospete 02-04-2011 01:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the front caliper from a set that I am working on. I used the red Duplicolor in a spray can. To mask off the areas I used a dime sized cutout of masking tape for the brake line inlet and found a cheese grating wheel that was the perfect size for the piston cylinders. Very happy with the results!

j84buick 02-04-2011 01:30 PM

I am also thinking of doing this. I repainted my calipers with Ford Engine Red which matches the Torch Red pretty good but not exact. It's a bit more dull and I am being a bit anal. I was wondering if I could use duplicor since they make a Torch Red in the can that is an exact match.

TheBigDog 02-04-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Neck Breaker (Post 1576694951)
I've been searching paint shops online to find someone who can mix a Mag Red I into a rattle can or something really close to Mag Red. I found a place but they are not sure if it would handle the heat from the calipers. They can mix Acrylic Enamel into a spray can that can handle up to maybe 400 degrees.

I've already painted my calipers with the black caliper paint that can handle 900 degrees but now I think I want to color match the calipers with the car. Would the black caliper paint help with the heat if I was to spray the acrylic over them? I don't want my car looking like garbage so any advice would be great right now.

How hot will calipers get during the summer months? I don't track or drag my car.

Thanks

Dont worry about the heat! I painted first with a high temp primer and finished up with MY. I didnt go with the caliper kits because I like the exact match. Duplicolor was no match for yellow

TheBigDog 02-04-2011 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gitusum (Post 1576695721)
do not go yellow!!! :ack::U

Just an opinion and you know what those ar like !:hide:

The Big Dog