CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   ****GTLM/GTD Pro Racing Talk-NO SPOILERS PLEASE! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2742822-gtlm-gtd-pro-racing-talk-no-spoilers-please.html)

cor123 10-26-2016 05:04 PM

General Motors SEM United Way Campaign Auction

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cf5838b369.jpg

General Motors SEM United Way Campaign Auction

Check out the auction by General Motors! GM is a continued partner of the United Way and the GM/UW will be hosting an auction from November 4 through November 20, 2016. All proceeds will benefit the Southeastern MI chapter of United Way. Along with many other auction items, the Chevy Motorsports team has procured and donated items from the race series in which we compete: NASCAR, IMSA, INDYCAR, NHRA.

Click here for website:

http://gmuwsem2016.eflea.ca/

Auction items, including some cool racing stuff, can be found here:

http://gmuwsem2016.eflea.ca/view

cor123 11-03-2016 09:22 PM

2016 CHAMPIONSHIP REWIND: Tommy Milner, No. 4 Corvette C7.R

Press Release:

2016 CHAMPIONSHIP REWIND: Tommy Milner, No. 4 Corvette C7.R

On a second Driver’s title, ups and downs in the season and continuous learning

During the last 10 months in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship, Tommy Milner helped deliver some of Corvette Racing’s greatest moments and triumphs. He and Oliver Gavin won four times including Sebring and Road America – both places where Milner drove stellar final stints to help the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R sweep all six GT Le Mans titles for 2016.

In your mind, what was the lasting moment of the 2016 season?

“The one that will stick in our memories for a long time is the Daytona win. To win in that fashion – a close finish against our teammates who had been strong all race long – set a tone for us for the year. They had been so fast for the previous two years and had beaten us pretty soundly. It was a good confidence boost for us on the No. 4 Corvette team to be competitive against our teammates and the GTLM class. That finish, the last 20 to 30 minutes and it being my first Daytona win… all those wrapped together will be the one day I won’t forgot for a long time, and neither will our team and a lot of sports car fans.”

Do you view Antonio, Jan and the No. 3 Corvette team as a competitive barometer?

“Our class is so competitive that it’s not like you’re always just racing your teammates. But in any class, they are always your best comparison. If we’re having a bad weekend and they’re not, that basically eliminates an excuse for performance. So that always drives you on. It’s a very healthy relationship between our two Corvettes and our two teams. I’ve not seen anything negative from that. It’s always been very encouraging; each team uses the other as a baseline or guide to make sure we’re doing our jobs properly. We ultimately want to beat each other just as much as we do the rest of the field.”

When did you feel that you and Oliver had a chance to win the GTLM title?

“The start of the year was obviously very good, but when it’s early in the season you temper your expectations a bit. In the middle part of the season, we weren’t doing bad by any means; but we had an issue at Laguna Seca and we had an OK race at Watkins Glen but nothing fantastic. Our biggest competition was in the middle of a modest winning streak. But winning at Lime Rock tipped the scales back in our direction a little bit. We were outgunned a little bit by the No. 67 guys there but we found a way to win. Then Road America was that final push to put it back in our favor again.”

Do you find yourself watching the Road America finish and still wondering how that happened and what it took to get there from your side, the engineering side and the crew side?

“It’s pretty much settled in now! I’ve watched the end of it about 25 times. It gives me such a great feeling to remember those emotions of winning a race like that in a way that I’ve never experienced before – when you kind of steal one from everybody else. When you go back through the weekend, we weren’t super quick and in the race we were quite bad to start. Olly really struggled and did a great job of keeping things clean. The first change Chuck (Houghton, No. 4 Corvette lead engineer) made when I got in was a normal change that we would ordinarily make, but it wasn’t enough. There were still some of the same issues that Olly had early; it definitely was not a nice car to drive. That final change was a much bigger swing at it, and in a lot of ways a gamble. It was a risk that Chuck was willing to take which I was as well because we were not very good for my first stint in the car.

“The track always seems like it’s at its best at end when there is the most rubber down and grip. Once that came in, I remember thinking that the car was the best it had been all weekend and I was quicker than everyone else on the track. I was kind of ruing the fact that if we had this car earlier, we would be in the hunt to get some good points. Then the caution came out and we thought it would end under yellow and wouldn’t have a chance to make any progress; if it had stayed green, maybe I could have gotten another position. But we got the green with three laps to go… and we had one chance to make something of it. This was an opportunity to get some points back on the Ford, which I knew was leading. As it turned out, it was better than I ever could have imagined. I never thought in a million years I would have gone from fifth to first in that short of a span.

“Everyone had a hand in making that happen. Olly had a very tough car to drive but kept it under him. Chuck made the right call at the end, and the pit crew guys got us at least two or three spots on stops. That was everyone on the team coming together and doing their part. It was pretty special.”

Was there a reason for swing in fortunes on the No. 4 Corvette in 2016?

“I don’t think I can put my finger on one thing. The most logical answer is that it’s cyclical. Even having said that, the No. 3 guys were working as hard as they could this year. All the breaks went their way for a couple of years there. In our case, I think we as a group on the No. 4 Corvette weren’t doing everything in our power to right the ship. We were doing a lot of things to fix it, for sure. Having Ben (Johnson, team manager) take on that role has helped the team as a whole in that perspective. Adding that little bit of extra structure within the team and how we operate was especially good for our car. On the flip side, the No. 3 guys were just unlucky. It’s one of those things that if you look at our rise in 2012 and 2013, we had nearly two years of pretty good results and then we sort of tapered off after 2013. It got us in a rut for the better part of two years. The challenge was to get us back in that mindset of doing the things well that we had done well before.”

Even after winning six championships, are there still things you learn and pick up on each weekend?

“In some ways I am still a little bit taken aback with the position I’m in and the success I’ve had. I never expected that – to win Le Mans, Sebring, Daytona and championships where I can look back afterward and say, ‘Yeah, I was pretty good.’ In some ways I have a mentality of just being happy to be here. Sometimes it doesn’t feel totally real.

“This year has been a little bit different in that I’ve felt more comfortable with my position on the team or a sense that I belong. I think why this year was important is that I’ve been through a cycle of having some success, then falling down a bit and then picking myself back up to get back on track again. At the end of the day, you want to do your job well. Each person has an ability to be a help or a hurt. If someone is down because they’re having a bad year, recognizing that gives a chance to give some support and encouragement. This year was less about on-track stuff but in some ways the behind the scenes things that went on to make big differences.”

In your mind, how has Corvette Racing’s success contributed to the accomplishments of Chevrolet’s motorsports program?

“Corvette Racing has built this foundation of success, and in some ways we’re almost expected to do well every single year. I believe that all the other Chevrolet teams have the same mentality and the same goals and desires. We’ve done it at Corvette Racing for 16 or 17 years have set a standard. The IndyCar group has carried that well since Chevrolet came back in 2012. On the NASCAR side, Chevrolet is the most successful brand in history. So there’s a culture there with the success of all the programs. It’s never spoken but it’s there within every team – us, IndyCar, NASCAR and NHRA. Chevrolet gets the best teams and the best drivers, and they give us the best equipment. You add all those ingredients together, that’s why there is a standard of what we expect for each of us. Chevrolet has built a foundation for each team and program to work from and build on that toward success.”

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...22df05267b.jpg

Smokeyjr 11-04-2016 07:31 AM

excellent write up...I was at the Road America race...watching it from behind the teams pit...I couldn't believe what was happening in the last 4:22 minutes of the race. There was excitement and the intensity level was incredible...and then...it was total jubilation...I never witnessed anything like that in racing before...I was giving team members high fives over the fence...it was 101 at it's best. After the race I went to the winners circle...there they were coming into the winners reception area with that dirty yellow beast...that had triumph written all over the team and the crowd. After the celebration I talked to Ryan Briscoe...he was dejected as any driver would be...I said to him...sir....what every race fan witnessed here today was probably one of the greatest moments in GTLM history...second place is a bitter one to swallow...but think of it this way...you were a part of what us folks call "that truly was racing at it's best" you will always and never will be forgotten that you were a part of it here...I then said thanks for the memory...he was a true gentleman that day...it wasn't easy for him...it was a dog fight that anybody wouldn't or couldn't deny...I rode home that evening down old highway 57 from Road America...yep...that smile still hasn't left...lets do it again boys...A BIGTIME THANK YOU TO THE ENTIRE CORVETTE RACING ORGANIZATION AND TEAM...THE ORCHESTRA'S NOTES WERE PERFECT...THE PERFORMANCE SHOULD BE CALLED ... TRIUMPH IN 4:22

Smokeyjr 11-04-2016 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
By the way....wish i had a 101 sticker...i have the 100 win sticker they were giving to us corvette fans

cor123 11-04-2016 09:25 AM

Corvette Racing 2016 Season Recap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RVY...ure=youtu.be&a

cor123 12-01-2016 11:25 AM

CORVETTE RACING 2016 CHAMPIONSHIP REWIND: Brian Hoye and Chuck Houghton

2016 CHAMPIONSHIP REWIND: Brian Hoye and Chuck Houghton

No. 4 Corvette C7.R car chief and lead engineer debrief on magical GTLM title season

Winning a title in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship takes the utmost level of skill and teamwork… both behind the wheel and behind the wall. Chuck Houghton and Brian Hoye – lead engineer and car chief, respectively, on Corvette Racing’s No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R – were key pieces to the team’s title-winning season, along with their fellow engineers and crew members. The two discuss their thoughts on a season that brought four victories and the GT Le Mans Driver’s, Manufacturer’s and Team championships in 2016.

What was the lasting moment of the 2016 season?

Chuck Houghton: “It’s 50-50. The start of the season for me was pretty incredible. Before getting spun around from the lead at Long Beach, it was looking like we were going to have three wins to start the season, which doesn’t happen very often. You’re looking at a 24-hour race, a 12-hour race and then a 100-minute race. So how the season started kind of breathed new life into the No. 4 team. We had struggled to produce in the U.S. for a couple of years. So it was good to start the season with those wins and get back to how it should be.

“Definitely the Elkhart Lake race was one that I don’t think anyone will forget. It was and still is pretty unbelievable.”

Brian Hoye: “By far for me, the biggest one was the win at Road America. To go from fifth to first in two laps at a place where it’s hard to pass is amazing. Obviously we were leading the points at that time and there was a ton of pressure to do better than fifth-place, but that’s what it seemed like we had for most of the day. We had a couple of late adjustments and some fortunate things happen in front of us. It’s still hard to believe it turned out that way.”

Do you still go back and watch it?

CH: “Well, it’s not the first thing I do when I get to the office every morning! But occasionally you’ll see it pop up on Facebook or wherever. If I see a link to it, I’ll usually click on it and watch the end again.”

BH: “I saw it on TV the other day and I didn’t think we were going to win! So many of us have been doing this for so long that our jobs are second-nature; you don’t really realize your accomplishments until you sit down away from the racetrack when things are quiet. Then it really sinks in.”

What made the difference on the No. 4 Corvette side this year compared to past seasons?

CH: “I think it’s more cyclical than anything. When I started with the team, both cars were kind of struggling. In 2010 we only won one race. The 2011 season was decent and 2012 was pretty good. The No. 3 car had some good races in those years but struggled for results. From 2013-15, they were pretty good while we were off for the most part. So these things just cycle up and down. I don’t know if there is any explanation for it. But all the little changes and everything that happens within the team and the group of people makes a difference. People always asked when we weren’t getting results what was wrong. You can’t necessarily put your finger on it. Sometimes these things just happen.”

BH: “I think it was a combination of a few things. We had some good seasons – we were good in 2011, won the championship in 2012 and were leading in 2013 with three races to go. Then for 2014 we switched to the Corvette C7.R, which was a great car. But it didn’t really seem like we had a handle on it for the first couple years. There were some changes in the series with the ALMS/GRAND-AM merger, different pit stop procedures and other rules changes. For whatever reason we struggled for awhile and weren’t performing that well, especially compared to our teammates. But we rolled with it and stayed together. With the new areo package for 2016, two new chassis and the years of being together on our team, it really seemed to balance things out for us.”

At what point in the season did it become apparent that this could be a special season?

CH: “For me, it was Long Beach. That seems early to say that things are going to go well, but typically when you have a chance to win three times in a year that’s a pretty decent season. There were a lot of races left and the chances of winning a championship weren’t super-high with the way the points work. But early on, I was definitely thinking we could challenge.

“The first time I really thought the championship was for sure in our grasp was after COTA. We had had a pretty good run at VIR up until the end. After that, things weren’t looking great. The 67 guys were rolling along and getting some decent points. What they had done midseason put them in a good position. But after COTA, I knew that put us in a good position.”

BH: “I felt good after Daytona. But you never really know how things are going to go. At Sebring a couple of things fell our way. In the last hour our car stayed the same – or it was maybe a tick better – but everyone else had gotten worse. Whatever tire pressure adjustment or swaybar adjustment Chuck had done helped the car to be able to do the same lap times in the dark while everyone fell off.

“At Laguna Seca, we had an OK racecar but got a penalty when the rear tires spun a little bit with the car up on the jacks. (Oliver) Gavin came around to me and everyone to say not to worry about it. He knew we had a good car and would have a shot at the title. I think it made us all realize it, too. No one pointed fingers. We all had to do our same jobs whether we had the car to beat or were off the pace.

How did the new regulations for 2016 help from an engineering and strategy standpoint?
CH: “We have a really strong engineering group at Corvette Racing and Chevy. So when there are changes like had with aero to the car, we can get on top of those pretty quickly. The processes that we have in place are pretty good for figuring out how to use the different downforce or drag levels to get the best out of the car and exploit advantages how we can.”

BH: “That’s part of the group having so much experience. We have so many guys that can move easily from one job to the other and can lend perspective in a lot of areas. That’s the kind of team we have, and it says something about a team being together for a number of years.”

How does 2016’s accomplishments set up for the 2017 season?

CH: “Within the team, there is a pretty high confidence level going into next year. We have two Corvettes that at every race should be competitive and fighting for wins. I was thinking the other day about how a lot of us on the engineering group and the team had done Daytona limited success before the last couple of years. Now we’ve won it and Sebring back-to-back. It would be great to do that again and it’s something everyone here is thinking about. With the way both cars had success this season, it gives everyone a boost of confidence going into next year.”

BH: “To repeat what happened and be better than last year is expected. There’s momentum and confidence, but we’ve all been around enough to know that all can go away with one race. We’re pushing and we’re digging as hard as if we didn’t win anything last season. We need to go to Daytona and win. That’s everyone’s mindset. We’re in here doing pitstop practices, working out and getting more physical. We’ve found areas where we can improve. Even after having won Daytona in one of the most incredible finishes anyone can remember, we can go into that race better prepared and do a better job than what we did last year. That’s the level of expectations that everyone at Corvette Racing and Chevrolet. There’s a lot invested by a lot of people in this program, and no one wants to let anyone else down.”

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...75d2cb5976.jpg

cor123 12-07-2016 06:35 PM

‘Full-Season Four’ Return to Corvette Racing for 2017

‘Full-Season Four’ Return to Corvette Racing for 2017

Team relying on consistency in driver lineup for IMSA, Le Mans programs

Gavin, Milner defending IMSA GT Le Mans Driver’s Champions
Garcia, Magnussen eager to challenge for GTLM title
All four drivers are past IMSA Driver’s Champions
Chevrolet’s flagship GT team won five times in 2016

DETROIT (Dec. 7, 2016) – After sweeping all six GT Le Mans titles in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship in 2016 and winning five times, Corvette Racing confirmed today that its full-season driver roster will remain unchanged for the upcoming 2017 racing season.

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner will pilot the two Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R race cars during both the IMSA season and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, pending invitations for the annual French endurance race.

This will mark the sixth consecutive year that the full-season lineup features the same four drivers. In their combined Corvette Racing history, they have combined to win 105 races and 10 Driver’s Championships in IMSA competition. Corvette Racing also has amassed class 11 Manufacturer and Team championships and an IMSA-record 102 race victories.

“Consistency is a key component in a successful endurance racing program,” said Mark Kent, Chevrolet Director of Motorsports Competition. “Retaining our core driver lineup for a sixth straight season gives us the best opportunity to repeat the phenomenal results from 2016.”

The two Corvette C7.Rs will participate at an upcoming preseason test Dec. 13-14 at Daytona International Speedway. The team recorded a 1-2 finish in GTLM at last year’s Rolex 24 At Daytona with the two cars separated by just 0.034 seconds. Gavin and Milner used that as a springboard to three additional wins and the GTLM Driver’s Championship.

Garcia and Magnussen were part of the runner-up entry at the Rolex, won overall at VIR and placed third in GTLM points.

A quick breakdown of each driver’s Corvette Racing highlights:

Antonio Garcia: 13 victories; 2013 ALMS GT Driver’s Champion; winner at Le Mans (2009, 2011), Daytona (2015), Sebring (2009, 2015)
Oliver Gavin: 48 victories; five ALMS/IMSA Driver’s Championships; winner at Le Mans (five times), Daytona (2016), Sebring (five times)
Jan Magnussen: 32 victories; two ALMS Driver’s Championships; winner at Le Mans (four times), Daytona (2015), Sebring (four times)
Tommy Milner: 12 victories; two ALMS/IMSA Driver’s Championships; winner at Le Mans (twice), Daytona (2016), Sebring (two times)

Corvette Racing will open the 2017 IMSA season in the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 28-29.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s great to be back with Corvette Racing for another season. We have won a lot of races and championships since 2009 when I joined for the endurance events. There is a lot of familiarity between the drivers, our crew and engineers; that is a big reason for the level of success in our program.

“Jan and I have been contenders for wins and championships since we broke through in 2013. Unfortunately the GTLM title in 2014 and 2015 slipped from our grasp. We suffered very bad luck at the beginning of 2016. So after being third in points each of the last three seasons, it’s time for us to put together a strong season and good results just as the No. 4 Corvette team did in 2016. We’re eager to fight and win for Corvette Racing and Chevrolet.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/ SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m thrilled to be back with Corvette Racing and Antonio again for 2017. This will be our sixth season together and I’m really looking forward to getting started at Daytona. We’ve really developed a brilliant working relationship over the years and I’m now about to start my 14th season with Corvette Racing which is incredible.

“Last year was a brilliant season for Corvette Racing but we know the competition is going to continue to get tougher and tougher. It is going to be extremely important to have a strong start to the year. The cards didn’t fall our way for the No. 3 at the start of 2016 and we were in catch up mode for most of the season.

“Having more weekends like VIR where we got the pole and dominated the race is the target. We just have to keep working harder and smarter because we’ll be up against some new machinery from some of our rivals. The championship is our aim but this time we want to see the No. 3 at the top of the points.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/ SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s great to be coming back and joining Tommy again in the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. It was a great season for us with four victories, a number of podiums and of course sweeping the GTLM championships. The mindset and motivation is there for everyone on board. We want to start 2017 the way we ended 2016 – running at the front, leading races and challenging for victories. That has to be our goal. That’s what everyone’s aim is on our team.

“You have a little more spring in your step coming into a new season on the back of one like we had in 2016. You feel confident. I hope that’s the way it carries over into 2017.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/ SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “More than anything, I'm excited to start a new season again with Corvette Racing. Each year always presents new challenges, and fighting hard to conquer those challenges is what makes it easy to get excited for the season.

“Being with Corvette Racing for this many years and having the same core team, I find we hit the ground running from the first test to the first race, almost as an extension of the previous year. With the success we had last year, let's hope that translates to a strong start for 2017.”

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f5d40bea2a.jpg

cor123 12-13-2016 11:45 AM

Corvette Racing Brings Back Rockenfeller, Fässler for Daytona, Sebring

GM Press Release:

Corvette Racing Brings Back Rockenfeller, Fässler for Daytona, Sebring

Pair was part of last season’s long-distance lineup in premier IMSA events

DETROIT (Dec. 12, 2016) – Consistency and familiarity are themes of the 2017 Corvette Racing program, and it is no different with the selection of drivers for North America’s opening pair of premier endurance races. As was the case in 2016, Mike Rockenfeller and Marcel Fässler will join Corvette Racing’s four full-season drivers to recreate an All-Star lineup that will contest the Rolex 24 At Daytona and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

The pair will reunite with their teammates from the same two events in 2016. Rockenfeller will drive with Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R as Fässler teams with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette.

All six Corvette Racing drivers will attend a two-day IMSA test for the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship on Tuesday and Wednesday at Daytona International Speedway. It’s the place that saw Corvette Racing finish 1-2 in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class in 2016 with the two Corvettes separated by just 0.034 seconds – an all-time record for the event.

“Both Rocky and Marcel were valuable parts of our endurance program in IMSA last year,” said Mark Kent, Chevrolet Director of Motorsports Competition. “We are glad to welcome them back to Corvette Racing for the Rolex 24 At Daytona and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Their experience, record of success and team-first mentality are ideal for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing as we attempt to repeat the 2016 victories in the two biggest endurance races in North America.”

Fässler, Gavin and Milner led the record-setting finish for Corvette Racing in last year’s Rolex 24 as the team won at Daytona for the second year in a row and third time in six tries. The No. 4 Corvette C7.R also doubled up in Florida by winning at Sebring – also for the second consecutive season. In 2015, Garcia and Magnussen were part of the winning lineup in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R for both endurance events.

Both Rockenfeller and Fässler have won endurance racing’s two premier 24-hour races – the Rolex 24 and 24 Hours of Le Mans. In addition to his two triumphs with Gavin and Milner to start the year, Fässler teamed with the reigning GTLM champions to place third in class at Road Atlanta’s season-ending Petit Le Mans.

He drove for Corvette Racing in 2009, is a past World Champion in the FIA World Endurance Championship and a three-time winner at Le Mans. He also won the 24 Hours of Spa in 2007 driving a sixth-generation Corvette.

Rockenfeller did the Daytona-Le Mans double in 2010 by winning both events overall. He is experienced success in both prototype and production-based competitions including the 2013 DTM Championship and GT-class wins at both Le Mans and in the American Le Mans Series.

Corvette Racing and Chevrolet enter the new season after a sweep of all six GTLM championships in 2016 – Manufacturer’s, Driver’s and Team’s in both the full WeatherTech Championship season and the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup. Gavin and Milner won four times to win the GTLM Driver’s titles, and Garcia and Magnussen were third in points with an overall victory at VIR.

Corvette Racing will open the 2017 IMSA season in the Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 28-29.

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m very happy to rejoin Corvette Racing for the North American endurance events. Last year was great fun for me getting back into a GT car, and the Corvette C7.R did not disappoint. I am eager to get back in the Corvette and prepare myself for Daytona and Sebring, where we were very competitive in 2016 with the No. 3 Corvette.

“The fight within GTLM is very close among many manufacturers. You must have a strong team in all areas, and that is why Corvette Racing and Chevrolet have been successful in GT racing. The engineers, crew and drivers all work well together to give both Corvettes the best chance at victory. That will be the goal for all of us.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/ SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I’m very happy to back with Corvette Racing for the Daytona and Sebring races in IMSA. It will be my second attempt at Daytona and hopefully a second victory. Last year we were able to win both of those classic endurance races. The victory at Daytona was an exciting experience - especially the last couple of hours. When both cars crossed the finish line that close together, we were unsure at first which Corvette won. I was thrilled that it was our No. 4 Corvette with Olly and Tommy.

“Daytona last year was racing at its best. For sure I will give my maximum effort to repeat with my mates Olly and Tommy both at Daytona and Sebring. I’m really excited to get back into the Corvette C7.R and be back with the Corvette Racing team again.”

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...95ac7ca128.jpg

cor123 12-13-2016 02:48 PM

Running Safe – Oliver Gavin & Tommy Milner On Safety At Corvette Racing | Mobil 1 The Grid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P5g...ature=youtu.be

z28lt1 12-22-2016 03:30 PM

Next year's TV schedule is out. More on Fox, but still plenty on FS2, to continue to frustrate those that don't get it:

2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Television / Streaming Schedule
Date Event/Venue Channel Times (All Times ET)
Jan. 28-29 Rolex 24 At Daytona
Daytona Internatinal Speedway
Daytona Beach, Fla.
FSGO* 2 p.m. Sat. – 3 p.m. Sun.
FOX 2 – 5 p.m. Sat.
FS2 5 – 10 p.m. Sat.
FS2 11 p.m. Sat. – 12:30 p.m. Sun.
FS1 12:30 – 3 p.m. Sun.

March 18 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida
FSGO* 10:30 a.m. – 11 p.m.
FS1 2 p.m. – 11 p.m.

April 8 BUBBA burger Sports Car Grand Prix at Long Beach
FOX 4 – 6 p.m.

May 6 Circuit of The Americas
FS2 6:30 – 9:30 p.m.

June 3 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix
FS2 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.

July 2 Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen
Watkins Glen International
Watkins Glen, N.Y.

FSGO* 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
FS1 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
FS2 1 – 4:30 p.m.

July 9 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
FS1 5 – 8 p.m.

July 22 Northeast Grand Prix
FS2 3 – 6 p.m.
Lime Rock Park

Aug. 6 Continental Tire Road Race Showcase
FS1 2:30 – 5:30 p.m.
Road America

Aug. 27 Michelin GT Challenge at VIR
FS1 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Virginia International Speedway

Sept. 24 Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix Powered by Mazda
FS1 5 – 8 p.m.

Oct. 7 Petit Le Mans
Road Atlanta
Braselton, Ga.
FSGO* 10:30 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
FS1 10:30 – 11:30 a.m.
FS2 11:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
FS2 5 – 9:30 p.m.

NOTE: Broadcast dates and times subject to change * - FOX Sports GO with FS1 authentication

cor123 12-22-2016 08:41 PM

Some videos to entertain you this Christmas:

Christmas Week Film Show: GT1
Because eventually, Santa will need to replace his sleigh...

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-show-gt1.html

and

Christmas Week Film Show: Corvette
For all lovers of loud, and the colour yellow

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/1...-corvette.html

cor123 01-04-2017 11:28 AM

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Roaring Toward Chance at Three Straight Wins

GM Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Roaring Toward Chance at Three Straight Wins
Three-day test at Daytona for three-time Rolex 24 class winner

First step toward defending Manufacturer’s, Driver’s and Team’s championships
All six Corvette Racing endurance drivers set to attend
Corvette Racing finished 1-2 in 2016, separated by just 0.034 seconds at finish

DETROIT (Jan. 4, 2017) – It’s time for Corvette Racing to again head back to the high banks of Daytona International Speedway for the first testing laps of 2017. The offseason hasn’t been much of one for the defending GT Le Mans (GTLM) titlists in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. But offseason becomes preseason with this weekend’s Roar Before the 24 and the prelude to the 55th Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Corvette Racing heads into 2017 with back-to-back wins at the Rolex 24 and a total of three victories in six starts at Daytona. The successes in 2016 and 2015 can be traced back to good showings at the Roar, where WeatherTech teams can get upward of 12 hours of valuable track time.

Since the end of the 2016 IMSA season, Corvette Racing has focused on multiple areas of system development, operational enhancements and Michelin tire selections to bolster what is perennially one of sports car racing’s best programs. In 2016, Corvette Racing won five times (the most in GTLM) and swept all six class championships: Manufacturer, Driver and Team.

Last year’s Rolex 24 saw Corvette Racing finish 1-2 in GTLM with the two Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs separated by just 0.034 seconds at the checkered flag – the closest finish in Rolex 24 history regardless of class.

Defending champions Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler are back in the last year’s race-winning No. 4 Corvette C7.R. It was the first Rolex 24 win for all three drivers, who also won together in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Those two victories along with triumphs at Lime Rock and Road America helped Gavin and Milner to the GTLM Driver’s Championship as well as the Manufacturer’s title for Chevrolet.

Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller were second in last year’s race driving the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. Garcia and Magnussen were part of the 2015 class-winning lineup for Corvette Racing and were overall winners at VIR in 2016.

The Rolex 24 was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first race, the team has competed in more than 170 events around the globe with 102 victories worldwide – including five wins in 2016 – along with 11 Manufacturer and Team championships in the American Le Mans Series and WeatherTech Championship to go along with eight victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “The time since Petit Le Mans has been very busy for us with multiple tests of our Corvettes, some new system improvements and tires from Michelin. So while there has not been much of an offseason, I feel like we are very well prepared for this year’s Roar at Daytona. Corvette Racing has won the last two years there in GTLM and the nature of the track seems to be very good for us. This is an important three days coming up with not a lot of time for any other big changes to the car once we return for the race. The goal is to leave the Roar with a good plan and setup for the Rolex 24.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I feel like this has been one of the busiest offseasons that I’ve had since joining Corvette Racing. Unlike this time last year where we were working on a new aero package and revised bodywork, the development for this year has been more subtle but still very important. Every improvement we make in testing puts us in that much better position heading to the Daytona race. I think we have used our time wisely.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “Getting back into the Corvette C7.R last month was very beneficial. You can never get enough laps especially ahead of a race like Daytona. I’m really excited to keep working through programs and strategies with the engineers and team. A lot of work has gone on since the last race of 2016. I am confident this will help us as we get closer to the Rolex 24.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It was nice going back to Daytona last month for the two-day test. It brought back memories of last year’s race and finish, and I’m sure there will be more of that to come between now and the race. We’ve been able to accomplish a lot in our testing in October through December, which will bode well for how we approach the Roar. We know how well the Corvette C7.R works at Daytona so we’re heading there with a lot of confidence.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “It’s been busy to say the least! We haven’t had a lot of downtime since winning the GTLM championship but all the work has been worth it. We have been focusing on more specific areas of development in both the car and the team as a whole. The performance of Corvette Racing last year was outstanding, and that is evident by the success we enjoyed. In this class, you have to keep striving to maximize every opportunity you can. That’s why the Roar is so important if we want to continue last year’s momentum into another strong Rolex 24.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I really enjoyed returning to Corvette Racing and testing at Daytona last month. Both Rocky (Mike Rockenfeller) and I were able to do a large number of laps to again familiarize ourselves with the Corvette C7.R and some of the changes the team worked on in October and November. Everything seems very positive going into the Roar. We saw last year how important it is to turn lots of laps in order to arrive at a good baseline for the race. We are of course hoping to repeat that again.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER: “Most fans are under the impression that after Petit Le Mans we go into our ‘offseason’. In reality, we actually get right into what turns out to be the busiest part of our year. The team has collected an entire year's worth of data that our engineers have to convert into meaningful improvements. All these ideas have to then be designed, built, installed and tested before we open up at the Rolex 24 at Daytona. Those are the reasons why the Roar is so very important for us. At this point, the guys are totally motivated an anxious to get back on the track to defend all our 2016 championships. I have a feeling that 2017 is going to be the best year of competition yet in GTLM!”

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6f0d03795e.jpg

cor123 01-19-2017 08:11 PM

IMSA Confirms Rolex 24 BoP

IMSA Confirms Rolex 24 BoP
By John Dagys
Updated: January 19, 2017
IMSA has confirmed the Balance of Performance for next weekend’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, with minimal changes having been made to the new-for-2017 Prototype class and wholesale adjustments for the GT Daytona contenders since the Roar Before the 24.

The sanctioning body issued the BoP to teams on Thursday evening, more than a day after a draft version was sent between manufacturers internally prior to official approval.

(IMSA bulletin: http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/de...lm_gtd_bop.pdf )

The Nissan Onroak DPi has been given an increase in boost ratio, across all power levels, while also gaining 5 liters in fuel capacity. While power levels were not adjusted for the Mazda RT24-P, it will have a 2 liters of additional fuel as well.

Aero adjustments, meanwhile, have been made for all cars except the Gibson-powered Ligier JS P217 and Oreca 07s. The changes mainly deal with the rear wings.

GT Le Mans competitors have also faced only minor adjustments, with the Ferrari 488 GTE car given a slight boost reduction and changes in the minimum rear wing angle for the BMW M6 GTLM, Ford GT and Porsche 911 RSR.

The BMW has lost 2 liters of fuel capacity, with both the Ferrari and Ford gaining 2 liters and the Porsche adding 1 liter.

The most changes have been made in the GT Daytona class, with every car except the BMW M6 GT3 having been adjusted in some form.

The Acura NSX GT3 has lost 20kg of minimum weight, plus an 8-liter increase in fuel capacity, while the Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3 loses 10kg and gets a 0.8mm larger air restrictor.

Audi’s R8 LMS has been slowed with a 1.0mm air restrictor reduction, while the Ferrari 488 GT3 has been handed 10kg of additional weight but a slight increase in boost ratio, across all power levels.

Both the Lamborghini Huracan GT3 and Porsche 911 GT3 R will also have 1.0mm smaller air restrictors, with the Lexus RC F GT3 getting a 1.0mm increase, but with 10kg of additional weight.

The Mercedes-AMG GT3 will have a 1.5mm reduction in air restrictor for the race as well.

Prototype Challenge cars, meanwhile, have been given a 5-liter reduction in fuel capacity and a smaller refueling restrictor.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...-rolex-24-bop/

pjazz 01-20-2017 12:14 PM

Interested to see how the Caddys run.

cor123 01-20-2017 05:10 PM

Rolex 24 at Daytona info

(note: Check TV schedule before race as different times can be found on the internet.)

Rolex 24 at Daytona
January 26-29, 2017
Circuit 3.56 miles

Entry by Class:
Prototype (12)
Prototype Challenge (5)
GT Le Mans (11)
GT Daytona (27)

Television/Online Broadcast:

Thursday, Jan. 2 (All times ET) Qualifying on IMSA.com

3:35-3:50 p.m. GTLM class
3:10-3:25 p.m. GDT class
4:00-4:15 p.m. PC class
4:25-4:40 p.m. P class

Saturday, Jan. 28 (All times ET)
2:00-5:00 p.m. FOX Sports 1
5:00-10 p.m. FOX Sports 2

Overnight (Jan. 28-29)
10 p.m.-11: 55 p.m. Fox Sports 2.

Sunday, Jan. 29

12:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m FOX Sports 2
1:00 p.m.-3 p.m. FOX Sports 1

US: FSGO, (with full FS1 authentication) https://www.foxsportsgo.com/
Saturday 2:00 p.m. through Sunday 3:00 p.m.

Corvette Onboard Streaming:

http://imsatv.imsa.com/

IMSA mobile app

IMSA mobile app and FSGO app
LIVE TIMING:http://scoring.imsa.com/

Live Timing for mobile device: http://scoring.imsa.com/mobile.html

Entry List:
http://sportscarchampionship.imsa.co..._entrylist.pdf

Radio: IMSA Radio
http://imsatv.imsa.com/

http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

IMSA mobile app

Sirius 145
XM 203
Internet 967
2) At track local FM station 106.5 FM

PIPIT NOTES:http://www.imsa.com/races/rolex-24-daytona
http://twitter.com/ @CorvetteRacing, @UnitedSportsCar, @IMSA, @IMSAlive, @DISupdates, @Rolex24Hours

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Corve...65177563541819

BoP pdf tables:
http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/de...lm_gtd_bop.pdf

TICKET INFO:
Corvette Corral sold out. Regular tickets can be purchased at:
https://secure.racetickets.com/Dayto...YTONA-500.aspx

Event Schedule:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeed.../Schedule.aspx

http://competitors.imsa.com/sites/de...24h_011917.pdf

Spotters Guide:
http://www.spotterguides.com/

Track Map:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...Info/Maps.aspx

WEATHER:
http://www.myweather2.com/Motor-Raci...-Speedway.aspx

Hotels:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g3...da-Hotels.html

Corvette Corral:

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4c1acb1550.jpg

cor123 01-24-2017 07:04 PM

Corvette Racing, SONIC Tools Announce Strategic Partnership

Press Release:

Corvette Racing, SONIC Tools Announce Strategic Partnership

New sponsor and official tool supplier for GTLM championship-winning team

DETROIT (Jan. 24, 2017) – Corvette Racing and SONIC Tools announced today a partnership that adds a new sponsor for America’s premier sports car racing team and a new outlet for SONIC Tools to display and sell its line of precision-crafted tools.

With the agreement, SONIC Tools becomes the Official Tool Supplier for Corvette Racing as the 2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship prepares to open its season during the Rolex 24 At Daytona.

In addition to supplying hardware and being part of the Corvette Racing program, SONIC Tools has become an official Chevrolet licensee and will produce a special edition toolbox complete with Corvette Racing branding. SONIC Tools’ line of premium tools and boxes also will be on display at a variety of Corvette Racing and Chevrolet fan locations during IMSA events starting in 2017.

“This is a terrific partnership for everyone involved,” said Michael Stouffer, Chevrolet Motorsports Marketing Manager. “Corvette Racing benefits from the high quality of SONIC Tools products, while we can provide our enthusiastic group of Corvette owners and fans a chance to purchase a very unique toolbox in full Corvette Racing branding – just like the team will use starting in the 2017 season.”

“The Corvette brand is one of the most popular and recognized in North America, and we are thrilled to partner with Corvette Racing and support its efforts in IMSA,” said Johnny Petrina, VP, Strategic Partnerships for SONIC Tools, which also is an official partner of IMSA. “SONIC Tools believes in optimizing organization and efficiency to achieve the best results, so partnering with Corvette Racing – a proven, championship-winning program - made complete sense. We look forward to working with them to bring our professional-grade hand tools and storage solutions to Corvette Racing as well as every Corvette owner and fan.”

The Rolex 24 was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first race, the team has competed in more than 170 events around the globe with 102 victories worldwide – including five wins in 2016 – along with 11 Manufacturer and Team championships in the American Le Mans Series and WeatherTech Championship to go along with eight victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The 55th Rolex 24 At Daytona is the start of the 2017 IMSA season and is set for 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. It will air on live on FOX beginning at 2 p.m. ET with coverage also on FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Sports Go. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com.

About SONIC Tools

SONIC Tools, headquartered in Auburn, Alabama, and with primary facilities in the Netherlands and Germany, is a market leader in the design and manufacture of professional-grade hand tools, toolbox solutions and storage systems. SONIC’s innovative products are found in the world’s most progressive automotive enterprises, including race teams, OEM operations, aftermarket businesses and personal garages. SONIC is an official supplier of Volkswagen Automotive Group in Germany. SONIC Tools is the official tool of the International Motor Sports Association, with tools being used by affiliate teams and the IMSA organization. To learn more, please visit http://www.sonictoolsusa.com/.

z28lt1 01-24-2017 09:50 PM

Saw they are running the spare car for Daytona so they don't have to rush the fire repair. Shouldn't make a difference, but it is interesting, I suppose.

cor123 01-24-2017 10:05 PM

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: How to Improve on Last Year’s Classic Finish?

Press Release:
CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: How to Improve on Last Year’s Classic Finish?

Team focused on preparation, strong history at Daytona to run for another Rolex 24 trophy

Gavin, Milner, Fässler enter as defending GTLM winners
No. 3 Corvette C7.R won GTLM class race in 2015
Team can become the first in nearly a decade to win three straight Rolex 24s
Chevrolet the most successful manufacturer at Daytona

DETROIT (Jan. 24, 2017) – One year ago, Corvette Racing produced one of the most iconic finishes in sports car racing history in the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Now for the obvious question: what will be the encore?

The 1-2 GT Le Mans (GTLM) class finish in the 2016 Rolex 24 – where Corvette Racing’s two Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs set an event record for closest margin of victory – is one that won’t be forgotten any time soon. Now it’s time to create another chapter in Corvette Racing’s Daytona legacy. It’s one that includes three victories in six starts including an overall victory in 2001.

Another one this year would be three straight and would make Corvette Racing the first team in nearly a decade to claim three consecutive Rolex 24 race wins. To do so, the team will rely on much of the same personnel that was part of last year’s thrilling victory.

In the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, defending Rolex 24 champions Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler are back after each claimed their first career victories in the event. It also started a run that resulted in a sweep of the GTLM Manufacturer’s, Driver’s and Team titles for Chevrolet, Milner and Gavin, and Corvette Racing.

In the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, the trio of Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller reunite after a thrilling chase to the finish in 2016. Garcia and Magnussen placed third in the GTLM Championship in 2016 on the strength of an overall victory at VIR.

There isn’t a manufacturer with more success at Daytona than Chevrolet. The Bowtie Brand has more than 40 victories to its credit at Daytona in the top levels of sports car and stock car racing.

The 55th Rolex 24 At Daytona is the start of the 2017 IMSA season and is set for 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. It will air on live on FOX beginning at 2 p.m. ET with coverage also on FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Sports Go. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com.

Corvette Racing Display

The start of the 2017 also means the return of the Chevrolet’s Corvette Racing Display. From Friday through Sunday, fans on-hand for the Rolex 24 At Daytona can view and learn about a wide variety of Chevrolet vehicles and performance parts in the Daytona International Speedway infield midway. Among the Chevrolet attractions at Daytona include:

• Chevrolet production vehicles such as the Camaro SS 50th Anniversary Edition, Colorado Z71, Corvette Grand Sport, Corvette Stingray, Cruze, Impala, Malibu, Silverado HD, Silverado LD, Suburban, Volt, Traverse and SS.

• A Corvette C7.R show car

• The new 2018 Next Gen Equinox

• Samples of Chevrolet engines, performance parts and accessories available to fans for purchase from their local Chevrolet dealer

• A variety of Chevrolet and racing related activities for adults and kids

• Commemorative t-shirts for fans who sign up with Corvette Racing.

The Corvette Racing display opens 9 a.m., Friday and Saturday, and 8 a.m. Sunday.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I feel we are as prepared as we can be heading into the Rolex 24. In this race you never really know, however. There are a lot of variables and things that can happen that are out of your control. What we focus on are things that we can control. In that sense I think we are in good shape. Everyone at Corvette Racing knows what it takes to win this race. We all do our jobs to the best of our abilities, and more often than not it is enough to win. I’ve been fortunate enough to win the Rolex 24 twice, and a third would be a great way to erase last year’s finish and get our season off to the best start.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “We feel confident for this year’s Rolex 24. Historically we have been very good here as the last two years have shown with two wins and two more podiums between our two cars. The key is that the Corvette is a very well balanced car that has good stability and power along with very good braking. In a lot of ways, the Rolex 24 is very different from a race like Le Mans. Temperatures will be much colder and there is much more running in the dark, although the speedway lights help. We know how big a challenge this will be but there is a high level of experience we can all fall back on. I’m definitely excited.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “The race week is always very compressed so you have almost no time to really develop the car or make any big setup changes. The Corvette hasn’t really changed since last year so we have our baseline for the Rolex 24. There still are things we can fine-tune and work on things like driver changes and pit stops. Everyone needs to work together perfectly to finish the race and have a chance at victory.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: ““You always try to learn everything you can from last year. Yes, it was an amazing finish but it was by no means perfect. We had our issues along the way and some things that didn’t quite run to plan. But with this race, you know you have to be there at the end. Even if you have a problem at the start and you go a couple of laps down, the way the caution periods and wave-by systems work, you can often make that up. Ultimately you need to stay smart and clean to keep the car on the lead lap in the last couple of hours where you can really push hard and see where you stack up. The competition is fierce, and it always is. It’s ratcheted up again just another level. It seems like we say that a lot but it’s very true. You can’t ever take your eye off it to be ready every lap. Nothing is ever given to you.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “What happened at the Roar was disappointing, but I don’t feel that there is a better team to rebound than Corvette Racing. We’ve seen it many times where our backs feel like they are against the wall and we somehow overcome that adversity. So this is another opportunity for us to do it again. Oliver, Marcel and I make a very strong team as we saw last year. It gives you a ton of confidence to know you have teammates of their caliber plus the experience and never-give-up attitude of everyone at Corvette Racing. This is a big challenge for us all, but we say bring it on.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R: “I have to say that the finish of last year’s race will be something I will never forget. It was my first Daytona and I didn’t expect to win right away. It was a great race and probably the best finish I’ve ever seen in motorsport. The experience was fantastic to come here with Corvette Racing and win immediately. With all the experience from last season and the test here in December, I can find driving the Corvette much easier and find the pace much quicker. The confidence for me is definitely there.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER: “It is always a huge thrill for us to return to Daytona each year for the Rolex 24. This was the first race for the Corvette Racing program so it’s like coming full circle each year we come back. We have had a full year to reflect on last year’s record finish and it’s time to create new highlights. We are well equipped for the challenge again with our key strengths: the experience and continuity of everyone at Corvette Racing. The Corvette C7.R is proven. The crew, the engineers and the drivers are all proven. Considering the intensity of racing in the GT Le Mans class, those are vital components that can make the difference in a race like the Rolex 24. We are hoping for another classic!”

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...43abbba8f7.jpg

cor123 01-24-2017 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by z28lt1 (Post 1593943146)
Saw they are running the spare car for Daytona so they don't have to rush the fire repair. Shouldn't make a difference, but it is interesting, I suppose.

Here is an article on it:

Corvette Reverts to Spare Chassis After Roar Fire
By John Dagys
Updated: January 24, 2017

Photo: John Dagys

Defending race winners Corvette Racing has reverted to a spare chassis for this weekend’s Rolex 24 at Daytona, following fire damage sustained to its No. 4 Corvette C7.R at the Roar Before the 24.

Marcel Fassler escaped uninjured in the blaze, sparked by a fuel line failure, but with the car needing some extra attention, the Pratt & Miller-run squad opted to put its backup car into action.

“We brought the car back, and the damage was not all that great,” Corvette Racing Program Manager Doug Fehan told Sportscar365.

“The firewall in the car is a composite firewall, but the fireproofing around that area worked really, really well. But it needs to be replaced.

“When we looked at the timeframe between the Roar and what we have here, it just made a tremendous amount of sense to get the spare car up and running, to enter it here so we could take our time doing a proper repair on the original chassis.

“As soon as we get it back up and running, why we’ll get it back in competition. It was very nice having a spare car ready to go.”

Fehan said the backup car, initially built for last year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, will likely be used for Daytona-only before going back to the primary car, once repaired.

“It was really no big deal,” he said. “Not a hump. “The guys at the shop are the ones that are repairing the old chassis so it really had no time or effort impact on what we’re doing here.”

The cause of the fire, meanwhile, has been traced to a fuel line failure, in what Fehan describes as a “harmonic-related issue” related to a new component that was on the car at the Roar.

With the team having reverted to the previous component, Fehan doesn’t expect any issues in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship season-opener.

“We want to institute a new-style [fuel] pump but it runs a little different routing which caused us to build a hand-fabricated part, and that was the part that failed,” he explained.

“Although it worked perfectly on the dynamometer and we validated it in a 60-hour run, the harmonics in a race car when you get on the race track… So we’ve gone back to our old-style pumps.

“We should be fine for this race, but planning for the future it’s imperative that we can find a solution we can use.”

Fassler and 2016 GT Le Mans class champions Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner are seeking Corvette Racing’s third straight class win at Daytona and the trio’s second in a row after their photo finish triumph last year.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/co...ter-roar-fire/

cor123 01-28-2017 08:33 AM

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Focus Turns to Run for Fourth Rolex 24 Win

Press Release:

CORVETTE RACING AT DAYTONA: Focus Turns to Run for Fourth Rolex 24 Win

Magnussen leads Corvette Racing qualifying efforts in No. 3 Corvette C7.R

Team can become first in nearly a decade to win three straight Rolex 24s
Chevrolet the most successful manufacturer at Daytona

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (Jan. 26, 2017) – Corvette Racing will go for a third straight class victory in the Rolex 24 At Daytona from the fourth and fifth rows of the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class following qualifying Thursday afternoon at Daytona International Speedway.

A trio of practice sessions and time trials will give way to a final single practice Friday before the official start of the 2017 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship on Saturday. When it gets under way, Jan Magnussen will start the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C7.R seventh after a lap of 1:44.359 (x mph). In the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R, Oliver Gavin will roll off ninth from the grid following his best lap of 1:44.685 (x mph).

Gavin, Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler won last year’s Rolex 24 in GTLM in a thrilling race that saw the two Corvettes separated by just 0.034 seconds at the finish. Magnussen, Antonio Garcia and Mike Rockenfeller were runners-up a year after the No. 3 Corvette C7.R won the race in 2015.

For reference the two Corvettes qualified seventh and eighth last season, and the gap to the class pole-winner was much closer Thursday.

The 55th Rolex 24 At Daytona is the start of the 2017 IMSA season and is set for 2:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, Jan. 28. It will air on live on FOX beginning at 2 p.m. ET with coverage also on FOX Sports 1, FOX Sports 2 and FOX Sports Go. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com. [http://imsa.com/&h=atmjr4azzjom6aqk8...gah&s=1_green]

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED SEVENTH IN GTLM: "It's been a little tougher than everyone expected coming back here for the race weekend. I think everyone left the Roar pretty happy with how the Corvette was handling and how we were stacking up against everyone else. But today for sure, we've been struggling a little bit. Qualifying I think is a good indication of where we are right now. It will be a tough race ahead of us."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED NINTH IN GTLM: "The session was OK. We were struggling a little bit with the balance. It seems like this weekend has been very different than how the two tests have gone - the Roar earlier this month and the test in December. It is warmer now, and also the wind direction is very different. There is a lot of sand on the track. That has been playing with us a little bit. I know it is the same for everyone. But I just think we are just slightly outside of our window to get the car to operate in a comfortable spot for us. But as we know, in qualifying here it is nice to be in the front, but it certainly is not everything. This is race is long and tough. There are many sort of treacherous points you have to get through. We are mindful of that and just need to be there at the end to race whoever is left. Hopefully our car will come to us. That is the way we are thinking. Temperatures are certainly going to cool down and we might get some rain. This race, like I said, is long and tough with many hurdles that will be thrown in front of us. No, we aren't exactly where we want to be. But we know there are many things we an do to changes that we can do to change our position. We will be pushing just as hard as we always do to try and get that Corvette win like we did last year."