CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Parts for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted-53/)
-   -   LSX OIL CATCH CAN FOR SALE w/ FREE S&H (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-parts-for-sale-wanted/2736572-lsx-oil-catch-can-for-sale-w-free-s-and-h.html)

Vettedriver986 03-29-2011 11:27 AM

Well, I have the ls6 block, and valley cover. I was told not all ls6 valley covers were the same though, and it wasnt until the most recent block (2004)) had all that fixed stuff and oil seperator.

Anyway, will I need to run a pcv valve in line from the back of the drivers side valve cover? Or is everything I need built into the can?
Also, did my dual valve setup ship yesterday? I really needed it before the weekend

The Bat Car 03-29-2011 11:40 AM

True. The LS6 valley cover was revised for the LS2 & further for the newer motors but the fixed orfice is still to restrictive.

Will get you tracking soon on the can. You will have it for sure! :thumbs:

Vettedriver986 03-29-2011 11:44 AM

so either way you want me to cap it off and run the line for there to the rear left valve cover?

The Bat Car 03-29-2011 11:46 AM

For a FI car I would. The can will regulate the amount of flow so thats not an issue.

Vettedriver986 03-29-2011 11:57 AM

so i dont need inline pcv valve?

The Bat Car 03-29-2011 12:24 PM

No, but I included one that should fit in the valve cover grommet so you can run the hose right from it. It has a 90* fitting on it.

The RX can not only has the integrated checkvalves but they are also configured to control the amount of flow the avg heads/cam or FI motor should have. Nothing like it on the market. You will need to post pics when your all set w/it.

Vettedriver986 03-29-2011 01:38 PM

any downside to using your included pcv when one is technically not required? Would it be better for me to just run a hose off the left rear valve cover? I will indeed put up pics of the entire setup.

LoneStarFRC 03-29-2011 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BYUN SPEED (Post 1577197130)
Robert I assume. I will send you a diagram layout to get you prepped before your order ships. It was a pleasure to talk to you today. Thank you for the order.

Thanks Young. Same here. :cheers:

Vettedriver986 03-31-2011 04:56 PM

just got my dual valve setup today and leaving in 30 to install it. Im not running the mini breather on the oil cap, but should I block off the port that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover?wouldnt this allow boost into my engine if I keep it that way. Nothing said about this in the instructions other than to block it if using the mini breather?

Just want to know for sure what to keep or block off when installing this before I go doing it.

TheRadioFlyer 03-31-2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vettedriver986 (Post 1577218888)
just got my dual valve setup today and leaving in 30 to install it. Im not running the mini breather on the oil cap, but should I block off the port that runs from the throttle body to the valve cover?wouldnt this allow boost into my engine if I keep it that way. Nothing said about this in the instructions other than to block it if using the mini breather?

Just want to know for sure what to keep or block off when installing this before I go doing it.

Yes you will need to cap the nipple on the throttle body. This is the fresh air source used to replace the oil-air sucked out of your PCV system. You may also want to consider removing the throttle body and filling in vent to the fresh air source with JB weld then sand smooth for better airflow.

The Bat Car 03-31-2011 07:48 PM

Good answer RadioFlyer! Not many understand this as well as you.

We usually like to use the breather on ALL forced inductioon applications as you still should have a fresh air source but capit off and you should be fine. Let us know the results. :thumbs:

Vettedriver986 03-31-2011 10:43 PM

yep it all worked out... no more burning oil, and no more leak in my engine :)

TheRadioFlyer 04-01-2011 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by The Bat Car (Post 1577220447)
Good answer RadioFlyer! Not many understand this as well as you.

We usually like to use the breather on ALL forced inductioon applications as you still should have a fresh air source but capit off and you should be fine. Let us know the results. :thumbs:

Ha....I'm a newb when it comes to actually working on motors. I just learn from the FI guys.

Btw, is is possible to turn around the nipples on the can to feed from the other direction? This would help with the location I'd like to mount mine.

The Bat Car 04-01-2011 07:27 AM

Yes. they all swivel. The outer ones are threaded in and the center is a push-on.

The Bat Car 04-01-2011 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vettedriver986 (Post 1577222250)
yep it all worked out... no more burning oil, and no more leak in my engine :)

Post pictures of how you mounted it.

Res1cue 04-03-2011 02:08 PM

I ordered a polished RX dual valve can yesterday for my build.

I just installed a new set of Billet valve covers on my 402 YSI stroker. They do not have a port on the driver side rear cover so I must use the valley cover PCV port to evac the crankcase.

I understand that you don't recommend using the metered orifice PCV valley system on FI stroker builds but I have to. The option does exist however of pulling the tube from the valley cover and drilling out the orifice bigger. The question is how much bigger would you go?

What other recommendations do you have?

TheRadioFlyer 04-03-2011 02:30 PM

On the dual valve model, does it matter which of the outer hoses goes to the intake manifold or blower?

The Bat Car 04-03-2011 04:18 PM

The issue with the valley cover location is twofold. First is the restriction, and I drill out with a 1/8" bit as the checkvales in the can are calibrated to control the amount of flow so you wont pull too much. The other issue is the location. Ideally you want as much cross flow as possible through the entire crankcase. If fresh air enters through the pass side valve cover it flows around the rocker arms, down the push rod valley, through the center of the crankcase, up the drivers side pushrod valley, around the rocjer arms, and out the evac outlet. All the while flushing, pushing, and pulling the harmfull combustion byproducts out of the crankcase. If pulled from the center top of the crankcase itself the drivers side is never properly evacuated. Now this is fine for GM and most other production companies and you should be fine with it, the goal of modifing the PCV system is to have it work as efficiently as possible and still meet emmissions standards. So to answer the question, yes you can open up the fixed orfice and do fine and with a custom valve cover they usually don't have a baffle incorporated into them so adding a fitting to pull from them means locating it where the rocker, especially the path where the oil squirts from the pushrod feed, does not spray or fling oil right into it. Try and get it between two rockers.

On the outlet valves, it does not matter unless labeled as both will open and shut when sensing flow the incorrect way so they always are closed to pressure and open to vacuum to evac as much as possible whether in boost or not.

:cheers:

TheRadioFlyer 04-03-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by The Bat Car (Post 1577244827)
On the outlet valves, it does not matter unless labeled as both will open and shut when sensing flow the incorrect way so they always are closed to pressure and open to vacuum to evac as much as possible whether in boost or not.

:cheers:

Excellent. I should have a report Tuesday. Looks like rain today and tomorrow....and i want to play AFTER the rain:D

momo20 04-03-2011 06:14 PM

nice..does this set up get rid of that line that ties into the front of the air filter? (03 Z06)