CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Where is there a good place to hide a spare car key? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2720308-where-is-there-a-good-place-to-hide-a-spare-car-key.html)

naples53 11-11-2010 04:04 PM

Where is there a good place to hide a spare car key?

I know the key opens the hatch only. But if you locked your remote in a beach bag etc., that key would come in handy. Where can I hide it and how?

Vette_DD 11-11-2010 04:08 PM

Best place is in your wallet.

rwatch 11-11-2010 04:09 PM

Buy a "Hide-a-Key" and attach it to the inside of one of the steel frame rails. It cannot easily be seen and I've found that the unit will stay where it is placed, even if the car is driven hard.
They are available at any auto parts store.

CYA OFSR 11-11-2010 05:00 PM

Get a key made as thin as possible. Attach a piece of thin wire to it. I tape the key under the car and then have a bodyshop paint over it enough times so that you can't see the key and the paint looks like it is supposed to be there with a bit of the wire sticking out.

The one time you need the key you pull on the wire and the key comes off and you are in. Been doing this for 25 years and only had to use it once.

C-INRED 11-11-2010 05:04 PM

I'm not tellin', it's a secret. :rofl:

Gearhead Jim 11-11-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by naples53 (Post 1575898396)
I know the key opens the hatch only. But if you locked your remote in a beach bag etc., that key would come in handy. Where can I hide it and how?

Unfortunately; you still need a fob to start the car, and that could be lost or stolen.

My technique:
Got a spare fob with new battery (2006 fob works for our 2009, not sure if the reverse is true), programmed and tested it. Wrapped in aluminum foil to make it temporarily "dead", hidden deep inside the car.
If the fob battery goes dead, it will still work in the glove box slot after removing the foil.

Got a spare key, tested it, and hidden outside the car someplace hard to find but able to get to it without a jack.

Now, I can lose everything but still get the key, open the trunk, find the fob, unwrap and drive home.

Because I've got it, I'll never need it.
:D

orca1946 11-11-2010 05:42 PM

Sorry, I don't do that.

Gearhead Jim 11-11-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by rwatch (Post 1575898439)
Buy a "Hide-a-Key" and attach it to the inside of one of the steel frame rails. It cannot easily be seen and I've found that the unit will stay where it is placed, even if the car is driven hard.

I bought a similar plastic box at the auto parts store and it was junk: a hinged lid that will accidentally flip open, and a really wimpy magnet that could easily fall off the car.

Went to the hardware store and got one with a secure sliding lid, and two magnets that will almost pick up the car. Much better.
:thumbs:

Gearhead Jim 11-11-2010 05:48 PM

BTW, you can save lots of money for a spare key by getting the local locksmith to cut you a duplicate using a blank, I think its a B106 from a Saturn.

I tried that and the key was hopeless, wouldn't even fit the lock properly.
:mad:

Lost my patience, ordered a blank from Fichtner Chevrolet, local dealer cut it free.

vettedoogie 11-11-2010 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1575899345)
BTW, you can save lots of money for a spare key by getting the local locksmith to cut you a duplicate using a blank, I think its a B106 from a Saturn.

Lost my patience, ordered a blank from Fichtner Chevrolet, local dealer cut it free.

Then you probably got the wrong blank. I bought mine at Ace Hardware and they cut it....works perfectly.

CH-Z51 11-11-2010 07:00 PM

:iagree::iagree:

JoesC5 11-11-2010 07:04 PM

Don't know what went wrong with your key. I was one of the first ones to get the B-106 Saturn key blank(at a locksmith shop) cut a couple of years ago, and mine works fine. I have one in my wallet and another hidden on the car. I had my dealer also cut a P-106(plastic head) blank that they carry in stock and it works fine in my 09.

xcutter 11-11-2010 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by naples53 (Post 1575898396)

Call Onstar to unlock the doors.

Let the flaming begin :lol:

keyplyr 11-11-2010 07:10 PM

Where is there a good place to hide a spare car key?

Just keister it, then you'll always have it within reach :thumbs:

LMB-Z 11-11-2010 07:16 PM

my wife keeps the spare key

florida john 11-11-2010 07:17 PM

I always doubted how well thee things would stay on over time, until my daughter rear ended another car and the body shop returned the Hide-a -key to me. It hung onto the front support through the crash!

Snake.Oiler 11-11-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1575898434)

Agreed!!!!

vettedoogie 11-11-2010 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by C-INRED (Post 1575898945)
I'm not tellin', it's a secret. :rofl:

The only intelligent response...:thumbs:

johnodrake 11-11-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JimTN (Post 1575898434)

:iagree: That's where I keep mine.

Gearhead Jim 11-11-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by vettedoogie (Post 1575899932)
Then you probably got the wrong blank. I bought mine at Ace Hardware and they cut it....works perfectly.

Originally Posted by JoesC5 (Post 1575900062)
Don't know what went wrong with your key. I was one of the first ones to get the B-106 Saturn key blank(at a locksmith shop) cut a couple of years ago, and mine works fine. I have one in my wallet and another hidden on the car. I had my dealer also cut a P-106(plastic head) blank that they carry in stock and it works fine in my 09.

I agree- it should have worked. But I had tried several places that should have had the blank but didn't, and the locksmith agreed on the B106 blank so i don't know what went wrong.

The "Official" key from Fichtner Chevrolet was more than a hardware store blank, but a lot less than list price and I knew it would work.

Congrats to you who have had good luck with it!
:thumbs: