CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   install engine with or without transmission? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2703360-install-engine-with-or-without-transmission.html)

yukonranger 10-16-2010 11:39 PM

install engine with or without transmission?

I have my engine and trans out and was wondering if it might be easier to:

install the trans then the engine and bellhousing.
install the trans and bellhousing then the engine
install everything at once.

I will be using a shop crane that will only reach over from the side. The front wheel need to be off and the car on jack stands, so the car cannot be rolled forward.

Car is a 65

midyearvette 10-17-2010 12:05 AM

shove the trans all the way back in the tunnel
install the mill complete with bellhousing onto the front mounts
lower the crane slightly
bolt up the trans...
install rear trans frame mount
lower assy......jmo....good luck....:cheers:

GRTaylor 10-17-2010 08:13 AM

I also use a shop crane to install the engine/trans. and I have found that it is easier, for me anyway, to bolt everything together and then install it in the car. I use a hydraulic floor jack to assist guiding the transmission into place while lowering the engine. If you decide to use this method remember to plug the end of the transmission or your transmission grease will be on the garage floor instead of in the transmission. I use the front yoke from the drive shaft to plug the transmission. Good luck!

MikeM 10-17-2010 08:21 AM

Me doing it, I'd put the transmission in place, bolted to the rear mount and bellhousing installed. Prop the transmission up to "in car" position, hold your mouth just right and the engine will slide right on the transmission.

If you do it this way, it works a little slicker if you leave the engine mounts off the engine so they don't hang up on the frame.

My opinion, this is the safest way as it's very easy to smash or damage some expensive underhood part with the whole assembly being decked at once. You can drop the engine and never touch anything except the transmission and the frame.

ktchir 10-17-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by GRTaylor (Post 1575644758)
I also use a shop crane to install the engine/trans. and I have found that it is easier, for me anyway, to bolt everything together and then install it in the car. I use a hydraulic floor jack to assist guiding the transmission into place while lowering the engine. If you decide to use this method remember to plug the end of the transmission or your transmission grease will be on the garage floor instead of in the transmission. I use the front yoke from the drive shaft to plug the transmission. Good luck!

:iagree:

midyearvette 10-17-2010 09:46 AM

me thinks that difficult to do from the side of the car with a wheel removed and the car stationary...jmo....:cheers:

redred65cpe 10-17-2010 09:55 AM

Me too. Although I do it from the front - it just fits. Once I get the tranny tail down low enough and sitting on the floor jack I roll it towards the back of the car - lowering, leveling, raising floor jack a little at a time. I do this by myself - a slight PITA, but not bad at all. Cranking the leveler is the biggest annoyance, but it's necessary.

http://ww2.pooperscooper.net/vette_s...r_2008_025.jpg