CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   No Low Beam Headlights (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2689283-no-low-beam-headlights.html)

callmike2 09-22-2013 08:13 AM

Low Beam problem repaired

Thanks to the previous posters, we were able to fix the problem in about 2 hours. The hardest part is getting the bolt retainers in a position to separate the top section of the fuse box. Some of you more industrious forum participants need to come up with a tool to do that job quickly. As one poster suggested, I ran a spare wire around the empty trace on the other side of the board. Hopefully that will provide a little added insurance. When finished I filed my complaint with the NHTSA about the problem.

Now, on to the HUD, which has decided it doesn't want to light up. Is the non-functioning HUD another common problem with a good forum fix??? I hope so.

Hells 09-26-2013 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1584809993)
Is there any reason why soldering a jumper wire around the broken area would not be a good fix also?:lurk:

I tried soldering the broken wire but it didn't work. I ended up just replacing it. Total cost was 60 cents for the wire from Home Depot. Thanks to this thread it only took me about an hour. :woohoo:

MikeERWNC 09-26-2013 03:19 PM

I paid 4.00 for Jewelry grade copper six feet.
I figured it would not corrode as quickly.

racerxr 09-30-2013 04:52 AM

I'm a bit hurt by the monkey see monkey do comment

I am the guy who found the problem a year ago a posted how to fix it. Let me clear something up, I stumbled upon this and it's a miracle I did. On August 27th 2008. I had a wife, a 15 year old son and a 17 year old daughter, a home, all of my pancreas, and my gallblader, I was healthy, 47 years old, I had a very attractive 39 yr old wife of 19 years, I was an avid runner, our jobs gave us a household income of $200,000 a year, we had $50,000 in savings, $89,000 in an IRA, both had good government pension awaiting us, no debt, a a outlaw dirt kart and trailer for my son and I took him racing all the time, 2000 Honda Accord with about 60 k on it, a 2000 Dodge Durango with about 70k on it. And a 2006 Chevrolet Z06 Corvette that I wrote a check for $98,816.16 on October 8th 2005 at 8:15 am 30 minutes before a plane was taking my wife and me to Maui for our second honeymoon because the dealer called me at 6am to tell me that the first one just showed up. My father in law drove us there they walked me around to where it was unloaded it still had the blue bubble wrap on it, I looked at it, looked at my wife and said I'll take it all in 5 minutes. Wrote the check and went to the airport, drove me nuts, my father in went to the dealer almost every day to just stand by it and take pictures, drove me nuts to be 3000 miles away from some I wanted almost more than P SY , almost. Paid a hundred a piece to come home a day early just to drive that car, never even sat in it yet. Today 5 years later I have my daughter and the car. Nothing else No job, income is a $1300 pension, 70% of my pancreas! no wife! No outlaw kart no trailer, haven't seen my son in 4 years, I hear he smokes OxyContin all day, no house, no Durango, no Honda, no 457 b with 89 k in it. No pension beyond what was previously mentioned, no savings and when I say none I mean I have $1 in it to keep it open, I owe the government $11,000 in taxes, I have an outstanding warrant because I could pay the $300 for the first ticket in 20 years 79 jn a 65, I owe Verizon wireless $1800, gas company $510 , electric $280 , and around $16,000 in attorney fees out of the $43,000 I have paid,

And In spite of the fact that an FBI and a CIA background check would not produce anything that would even remotely suggest that I am violent, in the eyes of every law enforcement employee, judge, and the short sale department at Bank of America, I am guilty of domestic violence and not worthy of any consideration and that is exactly what they did. Not consider me at all.

Evidence of this is on feb 18th 2010 because I requested spousal support I was paying all the bills and she had just got a $45,000 a year pay raise, the newly hired attorney handed me an amended pleading as we walked into the courtroom on March 24th 2010 to decide chid support and spousal support. 23 days after she left the marriage on August 29th 2008 I was hospitalized with a70 % chance of recovery, Two surgeries and a year later I was given her original declaration in the divorce papers. The one she made before hiring an attorney read Although Tom has been paying my half of a $725 a month payment in lieu of child support and he gave me $2000 a month ago it's not enough to help me provide for our son. (Son is 4 months from 18 and daughter lived with me, she was 19). The new amended pleading that I never knew existed until 10 seconds before the judge said good morning was a little different. It says that Tom has never paid anything to help support our kids since separation and he abused me for 19 years, and I need a restraining order. Like I said earlier, no police reports, no calls to the police,no black eyes, cuts abrasions no calls to friends parents or anyone ever to say Help I'm being abused, Nothing. She had the check book, a visa with a $25k limit and $5900 on it. Access to anything and everything she needed to get away from this monster, but never did. Her get away was to move less than a mile away into a really nice condo. the answer is yes I now know she was banging a guy from work for a year before leaving. Her income was $126,700 mine was $74,000 a year. I was ordered to pay her $926 a month child support and $100 for attorney fees, I left the courthouse with $214 left out of my income each month after paying all the community bIlls, child support and attorney fees, to pay for the basic that she claimed in her income and expense report to be costing her $3950 a month. This is a poorly spelled poorly written rant but 100 %. The repair for the headlight I posted was after spending 6 months looking for the problem, and you may not know this but your pancreas has a lot to do with your eyesight. As I was putting the fuse box back together I noticed a tiny line on the ground wire to the relay I took a pick and pulled on one side, it came up and the other side didn't, I posted it the way I did because I kept reading about People spending $2000 on a fuse. Box or throwing thousands of dollars at the problem and not fixing it. Of course I checked the relay before ripping it apart. The first thing you should do since there is only two types is swap one foyer another most people don't use their horn so that's the one I pick it should be like new. That's not the advice I want to give you. What I want everybody to know is, because o.j. Simpson stabbed his wife to death along with her friend. A California legislator created a law that allowed The county of Sacramento family law court where Judge Matthew Gary destroy my life. I have nothing but a daughter I love but can't help if she needs it. Her mother won't talk to her or answer a text or help her withe the $125,000 income and $100,000 she has in the bank. And a 2006 Z06 Corvette, I am the richest looking nearly homeless man in granite bay California.

My advice to you is fix it anyway you want. Just fix it, because if you experience anything like what I have experienced in the last 5 years, you will need the pleasure of driving that car to keep from putting a bullet in your head. Good Night.

Hells 09-30-2013 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by racerxr (Post 1585046523)
My advice to you is fix it anyway you want. Just fix it, because if you experience anything like what I have experienced in the last 5 years, you will need the pleasure of driving that car to keep from putting a bullet in your head. Good Night.

Sadly, I know exactly what you mean.

Thank you for providing us with the fix for this issue. You've helped a lot of people from a huge headache.

Bill Curlee 11-11-2013 12:47 PM

Yikes!! All those sewage connections and combined with the fuse slip fit connections,, its a NO BRAINER that theres a heat issue.

I would make sure that the sewage connections for EACH fuse terminal is tight and you can also test EACH connection for the fuses/ Make sure that the fuse spade fit tight in each connection

Checking the connections with an OHM Meter to make sure that you have ZERO ohms is also a good preventative measure.

Bill

lght spd 11-11-2013 05:55 PM

Same thing started happening to me.

2005 Z51 Car with 82K on the clock. Good to know I'm not going crazy.

Does anybody have a part number to a new fuse box? I think i'd like to replace it with new and fix the old one and use as a back up.

direct007 11-12-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by dwn cam (Post 1585404710)

Does anybody have a part number to a new fuse box? I think i'd like to replace it with new and fix the old one and use as a back up.

http://orders.partstaxi.com/parts/20...nction%20block

direct007 11-12-2013 07:39 AM

Does anyone know if this has advanced to a recall or TSB for dealers to replace at no charge?

http://townhall.com/news/us/2013/08/...vette-n1675096

racerxr 11-16-2013 01:28 PM

Sorry about that

I apologize for the rant. It's difficult to find out that the one person you trusted for 20 years tuned out to be the same as many. Just a bad day that's all!
Anyone tried putting a clutch in a C6 Z06 in there garage without a lift?
I spent $80 on lumber and built two sets of stands to set the car on. First set gets the tires and the rest of the car 12" off the ground. the next set will get it 10" more as soon as I get the nerve to put my floor jack on something so it will go that high and jack it up the rest of the way. I have heard you need to get it 24" off the ground that way you can roll the rear end, trans and drive shaft out from underneath. I plan on moving the 22" blocks to the jacking pad location in the rear after its high enough. I'm scared ******** that I haven't thought this through. It's been sitting 12" off the ground for a week with me afraid to jack it further with what I have to work with. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also there is a million different clutches available, any thoughts on the best one would be great. Don't bother telling me the $2000 one is the best. It needs to be under a grand. and I need to replace the slave and hopefully the master too. Thanks.

Today is a better day. The only thing she has to worry about now that the court gave her everything and more, is that if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness and given a month to live. Other than that she'll be Ok.

Bill Curlee 11-16-2013 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by racerxr (Post 1585444487)
I apologize for the rant. It's difficult to find out that the one person you trusted for 20 years tuned out to be the same as many. Just a bad day that's all!
Anyone tried putting a clutch in a C6 Z06 in there garage without a lift?
I spent $80 on lumber and built two sets of stands to set the car on. First set gets the tires and the rest of the car 12" off the ground. the next set will get it 10" more as soon as I get the nerve to put my floor jack on something so it will go that high and jack it up the rest of the way. I have heard you need to get it 24" off the ground that way you can roll the rear end, trans and drive shaft out from underneath. I plan on moving the 22" blocks to the jacking pad location in the rear after its high enough. I'm scared ******** that I haven't thought this through. It's been sitting 12" off the ground for a week with me afraid to jack it further with what I have to work with. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also there is a million different clutches available, any thoughts on the best one would be great. Don't bother telling me the $2000 one is the best. It needs to be under a grand. and I need to replace the slave and hopefully the master too. Thanks.

Today is a better day. The only thing she has to worry about now that the court gave her everything and more, is that if I am diagnosed with a terminal illness and given a month to live. Other than that she'll be Ok.

racerxr

I removed the entire drivetrain (except the engine) on jackstands in a two car garage.. I have a LOT of great time saving ideas.

Sorrry for the difficult times that you are going through.

I am going to PM you my phone number. Lets talk about your clutch job..

EXCELLENT job on finding the fuse box issue!:cheers::rock:

Bill

cclive 11-16-2013 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by dwn cam (Post 1585404710)

I think this may be overkill. There's nothing inherently wrong with the fuse box/block...it's just that one wire that needs to be made more robust. There are a number of ways to do this but I don't think replacement of the entire box gets you much because in the new one, that one wire is still the weak point.:thumbs:

ILLUSHN 11-16-2013 07:04 PM

Mine started doing the same thing this week. :toetap:

Thanks for the great write-up guys! :thumbs:

lght spd 12-06-2013 07:53 PM

Why wont GM recall or even issue a TSB on corvettes for improperly working headlights but they send out a recall for a missing decal on the sun visor of camaro's WTF?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/01/c...ticker-recall/

EBvette02 12-17-2013 11:54 PM

Racerxr,
Thanks, I noticed tonight that my lights didn't turn on. Found this thread, and planned on trying to fix it this weekend. However I couldnt do anything knowing my car was not 100%. So I went out to the garage, pulled out the fusebox, Ohm'd out the wire and it was .2.. thought to myself, Self this is not the problem. But I lifted the wire and only half of it lifted. I changed the wire, put it back together and the lights came on!!!! I can sleep now. Thanks again, and so sorry about the drama. I pray that things turn around for you.

Stephen

woodrellb 01-11-2014 11:24 PM

2008 with 35k

Thank you so much for this thread. Had the "no low beam" problem and replaced the relay, which coincidentally worked for a couple of days. Swapped the relay again, thinking maybe it was a defective relay. Instead it was the fuse box.

Couldn't be without the car if anything went wrong on the repair (daily driver), so I ordered a new fuse box from GM Parts Direct for less than $200 and survived using the fog lights while I waited a week or so for the part to be delivered.

Swapped the old fuse box for the new one in about 15 minutes. Took the old one apart and repaired it for a backup in a couple of hours. This thread and the directions are absolutely perfect for resolving the issue.

Thank you again.

johnny3 01-12-2014 09:14 AM

Thanks for the fix Racer, saved a bunch of us hours/days of time for the light repair. Very sorry about your personal problems.
There's nothing more evil & heartless than a wife when it's her wanting out of her marriage.

KA5IVR 01-20-2014 11:43 AM

First off, I know some hate replies to old threads... sorry, but this issue seems to be a Safety Issue and its better to get the word out than just follow unwritten forum rules in this case. I also reported this issue to the NHSTA.

Friday evening, wife's 2005 with just over 100k, the Low Beams went out on her way home. I doubled checked the switch and relay, but still no Low Beams. I went and drove it late Saturday to get it washed. Low Beams worked on the way (thinking she must have moved the switch) and after the wash I happen to be standing in front of the car which was running while waiting on them to finish wiping it down and saw the Low Beams clicked off. I thought that has to be a heat issue and then remembered reading this thread some time back.

Simple fix thanks to Racerxr (post #49) and especially Senseoftouch (post #85 with the Photos). Same problem in the same place on the inside circuit board. At first that circuit tested good, but as others have also stated, when I stated pulling the trace up out of the channel it was broken at the offset bend.

The hardest part of this repair is getting the swage ?? bolts out. I used needle nose and some dikes to pinch them enough to be driven out. I also took time to remove and layout the relays/fuses in order, so the re-install was faster.

Thanks again guys! :rock:

quicked 01-23-2014 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by KA5IVR (Post 1585967766)
First off, I know some hate replies to old threads... sorry, but this issue seems to be a Safety Issue and its better to get the word out than just follow unwritten forum rules in this case. I also reported this issue to the NHSTA.

Friday evening, wife's 2005 with just over 100k, the Low Beams went out on her way home. I doubled checked the switch and relay, but still no Low Beams. I went and drove it late Saturday to get it washed. Low Beams worked on the way (thinking she must have moved the switch) and after the wash I happen to be standing in front of the car which was running while waiting on them to finish wiping it down and saw the Low Beams clicked off. I thought that has to be a heat issue and then remembered reading this thread some time back.

Simple fix thanks to Racerxr (post #49) and especially Senseoftouch (post #85 with the Photos). Same problem in the same place on the inside circuit board. At first that circuit tested good, but as others have also stated, when I stated pulling the trace up out of the channel it was broken at the offset bend.

The hardest part of this repair is getting the swage ?? bolts out. I used needle nose and some dikes to pinch them enough to be driven out. I also took time to remove and layout the relays/fuses in order, so the re-install was faster.

Thanks again guys! :rock:

spectacular old post,got a customers 06 vette fixed up this way,sorry bout your issues Racerxr,hope things look up for ya,try n stay positive n happy

34653vette 01-30-2014 12:29 PM

low beams

Originally Posted by quicked (Post 1585991772)
spectacular old post,got a customers 06 vette fixed up this way,sorry bout your issues Racerxr,hope things look up for ya,try n stay positive n happy

I took the fuse box apart and no broken wires. I guess there is another layer inside that i have to drill out the plastic rivets to get to. GM won't do anything and I was told it isn't a defect in the fuse box or it would have happen asap and not 70k miles later. The dealer said they won't foot the cost and I don't blame them at all. GM refuses to help with over 200,000 cases already. GM also had me take to dealer and I had to pay for them to look at. GM said we would work something out. After it was looked at and I paid the bill and the dealer verified it was a bad fuse box line on the low beam. GM was notified and declined paying anything.