CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   [Z06] G7X4 Cam change (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/2687765-g7x4-cam-change.html)

GtownC6Z 09-23-2010 09:10 PM

G7X4 Cam change

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to get a thread for before and after cam change in my car, I ended up going with the guys at LG, their G7X4 cam. I originally had a 224 cam from another vendor, and with supporting boltons, ie Headers, CAI, ported tb, thermostat. . . ended up making a respectable 499 rwhp on a conservative dyno(Car trapped 130.6). I'm expecting around 550 with the new cam(LG can chime in and let me know if thats right). . . but anyways, my car is currently in my buddies shop waiting on the cam from LG. I bought the cam from KYspeed, a local vendor.

I will post up the results before and after when it gets finished in the next week or so. :flag::flag::flag:

:lurk:

IANIL8 09-23-2010 09:30 PM

:cheers: Good choice...

Radguy 09-24-2010 10:41 AM

IANIL8,

How the driveability of the G7X3 cam? I'm looking at a similar setup to yours next spring. Is it the same, slightly different or considerably different ?

GTOWNC6Z,

I'd like to hear about the driveability of the G7X4 cam when you get it in.

IANIL8 09-24-2010 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Radguy (Post 1575422723)
IANIL8,

How the driveability of the G7X3 cam? I'm looking at a similar setup to yours next spring. Is it the same, slightly different or considerably different ?

GTOWNC6Z,

I'd like to hear about the driveability of the G7X4 cam when you get it in.

Couldn't be more happy with the way it drives...This is a great all around cam... I did a lot of research on dyno numbers and how the cam puts down the power HP&TQ... Most of the cams larger than this one tend to lose low end....Making all the power up top and thats great for those peeps looking for the biggest numbers...I'm not looking to break records...I wanted it to have good all around power... You will very pleased... I'm looking forward to hearing the results of the G7X4 in GTOWNC6Z:thumbs:

Radguy 09-24-2010 11:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to decide between the G7X2 or the G7X3. I wanted to try and keep the driveability as close to stock as possible (my wife wouldn't put up with a car that bucks and surges).

I don't want a cam that looses low end and mid range torque, and I was looking at the FAST intake and the NW 102 TB to add some extra torque for HPDEs. It looks like I'll be going with a G7X3 after all.

IANIL8 09-24-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Radguy (Post 1575423037)
Thanks for the feedback. I was trying to decide between the G7X2 or the G7X3. I wanted to try and keep the driveability as close to stock as possible (my wife wouldn't put up with a car that bucks and surges).

I don't want a cam that looses low end and mid range torque, and I was looking at the FAST intake and the NW 102 TB to add some extra torque for HPDEs. It looks like I'll be going with a G7X3 after all.

You'll love it... My better half has the same feelings about the bucking and surging:nono:

GtownC6Z 10-15-2010 12:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUlT1Q9-mN0

car drives great!!! very MINIMAL driving issues, i could daily this car no problem. . .

made 528/475

:cheers:

gtodoug 10-15-2010 01:42 AM

the video says g7x4, is that correct? only 528whp on that cam? Those sound like g7x3 numbers. Car sounds great in anycase, what rpm is it idling at?

mustang281man 10-15-2010 07:35 AM

sounds good. was the video with the exhaust closed i assume?

GtownC6Z 10-15-2010 10:28 AM

Exhaust open

It's an x4, and on some dynos they make around 550, but not on this one, like I said in the first post I trapped right at 131 with 499rwhp, and that package was rated at 530(only made 481 from that shop on their tune) my tuner got 499 out of it. So 528 on this dyno are very good, I could take it to a dynojet somewhere and make 550 or so, in the end it's just a number, I'd rather just trap 135 and ppl think I'm just driving the piss out of it lol

gtodoug 10-15-2010 10:43 AM

Do you know what type of dyno it was? What other supporting modifications do you have? I saw ported tb, but ported intake manifold? What type of headers? Cats or no cats?

Numbers are making a bit more sense now because I re-read your thread. A 30whp pick up over your previous cam is awesome! The trap speeds don't mean much to me without the relative DA, so I figured the dyno was a better way to measure the rate of change between the two cams. I'm very impressed the more I think about it. I'd love to hear more about the driveability of the setup. Congrats once again.

dougie

gtodoug 10-15-2010 10:44 AM

Oh, any chance of getting a graph? and what were the tq numbers before and after.

JG853 10-15-2010 10:59 AM

I completely agree - It is the trap times that mean the most.

I also have a LG Motorsports C6 Z06 with a G7X4, but had mine ground on a 112 LSA. Also have LG 1 7/8 Super Pro Headers, Vararam, Mamofied FAST 102 and NW 102 TB, Corsa Exhaust, LG G2 Coil Overs (Non adjustable), RPS clutch.

Mine sounds similar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2xGA3vyM3Q

Congrats on your choice of cams - You will not be disappointed. When Lou, Louis, Bobby, and Anthony tell you something - They tell you exactly the way it will perform - That is what my experience has been with them for the past six plus years :flag:

JG853

Originally Posted by GtownC6Z (Post 1575628085)
Exhaust open

It's an x4, and on some dynos they make around 550, but not on this one, like I said in the first post I trapped right at 131 with 499rwhp, and that package was rated at 530(only made 481 from that shop on their tune) my tuner got 499 out of it. So 528 on this dyno are very good, I could take it to a dynojet somewhere and make 550 or so, in the end it's just a number, I'd rather just trap 135 and ppl think I'm just driving the piss out of it lol

GtownC6Z 10-15-2010 11:06 AM

Posting from my phone, I get you the graph with before and after overlaid

Doug, it's a dynojet as well, but it's known for reading like a mustang dyno, stock zo6 made 430s on it, something with the sensors.

The DA at our local track is usually around 1k ft at best, actual altitude is around 700 ft, Kentucky.

GtownC6Z 10-15-2010 11:08 AM

Oh, and the mods are kooks longtubes, halltech cai, 160 stat, potted TB, and of course the cam

GMPWR 10-15-2010 02:08 PM

I would like to see the dyno sheet as well. What's the difference between the G7X3 and X4?
I'm trying to decide which cam to go with but don't want to loose a lot of torque in the process or have a car that surges. Houston traffic sucks and surging would get old with a quickness.

I have LG 1 3/4 long tube headers
High flow cats
Corsa cat back
Callaway cold air intake
Car was tuned by LG and put 489hp/469tq

I will add the FAST 102 intake and NW 102 at the time of the cam swap.

PureSwank 10-15-2010 03:10 PM

I have driven the G7x4 and it drives almost like a stock. Not bad of a choice. I personally wanted a bigger lope so I opted for the G7XX.

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 10-15-2010 03:14 PM

Thanks for all of the kind words guys!

The X3 and X4 both have been very well received and a great cam choice for the LS7's. If you are making 528-530 on a Mustang Dyno...I would say a DynoJet would read 550-560 but again it's hard to say and dyno's do vary but I have seen a 4-6% loss on just numbers on a Mustang compared to DynoJet. Again that's just fighting on paper though.....

Either way if you did back to back on the same dyno you still picked up 30 from the other setup! :thumbs:

GMPWR,
I'm always quick to go on the side of caution on cam selection as IANIL8, will tell you as well. The X3 has been one of my more favorite cams for the car because of how well rounded it is with the LS7. Adding the FAST and new NW 102 will help it even more. Has Jamie can tell you his X3 combo drives very smooth and we are knocking on 560 rwhp with his car right now. :thumbs:

GMPWR 10-15-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports (Post 1575631103)
Thanks for all of the kind words guys!

The X3 and X4 both have been very well received and a great cam choice for the LS7's. If you are making 528-530 on a Mustang Dyno...I would say a DynoJet would read 550-560 but again it's hard to say and dyno's do vary but I have seen a 4-6% loss on just numbers on a Mustang compared to DynoJet. Again that's just fighting on paper though.....

Either way if you did back to back on the same dyno you still picked up 30 from the other setup! :thumbs:

GMPWR,
I'm always quick to go on the side of caution on cam selection as IANIL8, will tell you as well. The X3 has been one of my more favorite cams for the car because of how well rounded it is with the LS7. Adding the FAST and new NW 102 will help it even more. Has Jamie can tell you his X3 combo drives very smooth and we are knocking on 560 rwhp with his car right now. :thumbs:

Thanks Anthony,
You did an awesome job with my car and I have been very pleased with the results especially how it sounds. I will have you do the G7X3 on my car, no doubt about that. It will be a project for the beginning of next year for me. What would it cost to do the G7X3, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 and underdrive crank pulley? Also what numbers do you think my car should be able to put down?

Anthony @ LGMotorsports 10-15-2010 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by GMPWR (Post 1575631301)
Thanks Anthony,
You did an awesome job with my car and I have been very pleased with the results especially how it sounds. I will have you do the G7X3 on my car, no doubt about that. It will be a project for the beginning of next year for me. What would it cost to do the G7X3, Fast 102 intake, NW 102 and underdrive crank pulley? Also what numbers do you think my car should be able to put down?

Check your PM for pricing details.

As for power...I would say north of 550 rwhp.

Here is the last combo like that I did
-LG 1 7/8 Super Pro
-Corsa cat back
-G7X3 cam package
-FAST 102 unported
-NW 102 throttle body
-ATI underdrive pulley

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...o%20finish.jpg