CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Automatic Transmission Cooler Line (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2671291-automatic-transmission-cooler-line.html)

riverway 08-31-2010 01:07 PM

Automatic Transmission Cooler Line

On the way back from Corvettes@Carlisle, the transmission cooler line went on my 2005 coupe. Not covered by extended warranty in Canada. Dealer in PA advises me that some clip let go at the connection at the rad, they patched the line and recommended it be replaced once I returned home. Anyone had a similar problem. Car has less than 40k on it and two weeks ago I had the local dealership flush the rad and transmission. Thanks....Tim

HOXXOH 08-31-2010 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by riverway (Post 1575179727)
On the way back from Corvettes@Carlisle, the transmission cooler line went on my 2005 coupe. Not covered by extended warranty in Canada. Dealer in PA advises me that some clip let go at the connection at the rad, they patched the line and recommended it be replaced once I returned home. Anyone had a similar problem. Car has less than 40k on it and two weeks ago I had the local dealership flush the rad and transmission. Thanks....Tim

Bingo! Cause identified.

Present them with the temporary repair bill and get them to fix it properly. If they don't stand behind their work, run away and find another dealer.

CQRT 08-31-2010 03:11 PM

That's not an issue I recall reading about in these pages at all. Certainly, it could be coincidence, but it would seem that there could be a cause and effect relationship between the work you had done before the trip and your subsequent problem.

I would think in the interests of customer service, your repair shop at home would be receptive to discussion and will step up.

Good luck-

c6 batmobile 08-31-2010 03:14 PM

I depends on where the hose broke at I would guess. Do you have headers on anything that it could be touching so it got hot and burned? I would think the tranny flush had something to do with it as well but its best to cover your basis.

riverway 09-03-2010 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by c6 batmobile (Post 1575181153)
I depends on where the hose broke at I would guess. Do you have headers on anything that it could be touching so it got hot and burned? I would think the tranny flush had something to do with it as well but its best to cover your basis.

No headers and no modifications. I am told that the transmission cooler lines have one at the top of the rad and one at the bottom of the rad. The one at the top let go. The local Dealer is going to look at it on Tuesday and give me their version of the story. It would appear that the transmission cooler lines are attached with a quick coupler assembly. In any event I have never read here on the forum of this problem and it sounds a little strange that I have them flush the rad and the transmission and 600 miles later the transmission cooler line lets go. I just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem. thanks..Tim

c1j1c2 09-03-2010 08:39 PM

I haven't had an issue like this in my C6, but several years ago, I hada tranny flush, and my transmission blew up 2 weeks later. I was told by the dealer that did the warranty work, that they don't do tranny flushes, because sometimes the flush will knock loose some dirt or something else that doesn't get out of the system but damages the transmission. I'll never do a "power" flush of any system again.

CH-Z51 09-04-2010 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by c1j1c2 (Post 1575218739)
I haven't had an issue like this in my C6, but several years ago, I hada tranny flush, and my transmission blew up 2 weeks later. I was told by the dealer that did the warranty work, that they don't do tranny flushes, because sometimes the flush will knock loose some dirt or something else that doesn't get out of the system but damages the transmission. I'll never do a "power" flush of any system again.

:iagree: This "power flush" could be a part of the OPs difficulty's because the machine used to flush the trans is normally operated by disconnecting one of the the trans lines at the radiator and connecting that line to the "power flush" machine. The line that failed may be the one they used to flush the trans. Just a thought.

cclive 09-04-2010 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by CH-Z51 (Post 1575223348)
:iagree: This "power flush" could be a part of the OPs difficulty's because the machine used to flush the trans is normally operated by disconnecting one of the the trans lines at the radiator and connecting that line to the "power flush" machine. The line that failed may be the one they used to flush the trans. Just a thought.

:iagree::iagree:

c1j1c2 09-04-2010 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by CH-Z51 (Post 1575223348)

:iagree: I think that is what happened to my previous vehicle, which is why I'll never agree to anything like that again, and I always ask before they do the work.