CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Leaving NCRS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2666549-leaving-ncrs.html)

Steeler 08-24-2010 10:19 PM

Ncrs

Look I’m watching this from a long way away, it seems all a bit strange, OK a rule was broken, don’t we all break rules :ack:, punishment seems harsh :toetap:, but IMHO if the organisation is that draconian and so rule bound, is it worth supporting anyway, its supposed to be a fun hobby this Corvette thing, its your car, do with it as you please, drive it and enjoy it, it’s a great looking car :cool: - (No Correct Rules Set). :bs :rofl:

Mike Ward 08-24-2010 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by shemp (Post 1575115048)
Then why are you such a stickler for the rules. Some rules were made to be broken, not all but some. Shemp :cheers:

What stickling for what rules? Just telling part of the other side of the story and as a (relatively) long time member, there's something about this particular story that doesn't add up.

I could speculate but that wouldn't be fair to Roy and I'd just be lowering myself to the lynch mob mentality already here. :eek:

1snake 08-24-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575114814)
I vote you #1. :rofl:

Maybe only because I owned "Corvette's" before you could even spell it. Quit being a tool. You're only reinforcing the perception that all NCRS members are d!ck heads. You're not doing the organization any good with your rambling B.S.:rolleyes:

Jim

shemp 08-24-2010 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brian VH McHale (Post 1575114950)
I'm with Mike, Roy F'd up, pay the price. :cheers:

He is paying the price, he admitted his mistake he (and most others here) don't agree with the punishment. The price being paid is by NCRS losing a knowlegable member and plenty of others who are reading this post. Shemp :cheers:

project63 08-24-2010 10:28 PM

Roy, I'm very sorry this happened. You stated that you were told to stay in place until 5pm, but decided to move the car anyway. I'll assume you asked permission, but were denied.

I'm sure you know the rule is in place primarily to ensure the safety of those who may still be judging or on the field for some other reason. It' a rule that makes sense. The NCRS doesn't want to send a volunteer judge or spectator home in a box because someone took it upon themselves to decide when it "OK" to drive off the field.

You also stated that the judging was finished, but apparently there were still people milling around on the field. Don't take this personally. What if everyone decided to do the same thing? It would be a very danerous and bad situation.

We've heard your side of the story, we know there is another. You admitted the mistake and apoligized. Thank you. Do your time and come back when you can.

For those who think this is overkill, how would you feel if you were under a car and Roy ran over your foot on his way out? Luckily, this didn't happen, but next time it might.

Give the NCRS a break and put yourself in their shoes for once. The life these rules save could be your own.

tc

shemp 08-24-2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575115167)
What stickling for what rules? Just telling part of the other side of the story and as a (relatively) long time member, there's something about this particular story that doesn't add up.

I could speculate but that wouldn't be fair to Roy and I'd just be lowering myself to the lynch mob mentality already here. :eek:

The only lynch mob here seems to be you. He admittedly broke the rules of the all mighty NCRS (of which I am a member) but with good reason where is the compassion to an elder statesman who wanted to go to dinner. Get off your high horse dude. Shemp :cheers:

Mike Ward 08-24-2010 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1575115182)
Maybe only because I owned "Corvette's" before you could even spell it. Quit being a tool. You're only reinforcing the perception that all NCRS members are d!ck heads. You're not doing the organization any good with your rambling B.S.:rolleyes:

Jim

OK, I appoint you Lifetime grandpoobah #1. That's my best offer.

Best take some stuffing out of your shirt, you're about to pop some buttons. :rofl:

MidYearRoadster 08-24-2010 10:41 PM

Hey...I am not saying he should go scot free..just saying to carry the rule that far where you can't even get on the website is a bit too much... keep him from entering a show or whatever...he admits he messed up...but to block a member from everything ...??? As I said before he should have at least inquired if he could leave. The way he posted it sounded as if the judges left and there was no one around. If they were still judging then..he deserves the rath of those from above. We above all have to remember...THESE ARE JUST CARS..relax guys...calm down...have a coke...add rum...smile ...there isnt that better...

shemp 08-24-2010 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster (Post 1575115364)
Hey...I am not saying he should go scot free..just saying to carry the rule that far where you can't even get on the website is a bit too much... keep him from entering a show or whatever...he admits he messed up...but to block a member from everything ...??? As I said before he should have at least inquired if he could leave. The way he posted it sounded as if the judges left and there was no one around. If they were still judging then..he deserves the rath of those from above. We above all have to remember...THESE ARE JUST CARS..relax guys...calm down...have a coke...add rum...smile ...there isnt that better...

Yep, all better Shemp :cheers:

Jimbo64 08-24-2010 10:45 PM

be joining you

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1575113103)
So after a grueling few days at a car show (bearing in mind many of us are middle aged or older) you wanted to get your stuff together a little early and rest in preparation for a morning start for the several hundred mile trip home in a 50+ year old car.

It seems the NCRS brass understand the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law...an all too common failing.

Darn if I would get on their forum and apologize for a thing...every NCRS event you would have attended for the next year will be diminished because your unique, one-of-a-kind car and your knowledge and comradeship will be absent.

guess i won't be needing that ncrs sticker on my window wing anymore-you got a raw deal, criminals here get less-Ncrs had better take a look at who makes up the membership and how much of this garbage we will put up with before withdrawing. what they did is wrong,

bb62 08-24-2010 10:48 PM

Quite frankly, I agree with Mike. Too many people here jumping on a bandwagon when all the facts are neither known nor presented.

I've been to too many NCRS meets where people leave a bit early. Just like Paul noted, I've NEVER seen anyone receive any penalty. This past June at the Michigan NCRS meet there were guys leaving early to try to avoid the rain. Not a word was said.

Further, I've NEVER seen one NCRS member behave overtly rude to another because of the condition of his/her Corvette - whether "original" or not. And I've been a member since 1981.

I don't think we're hearing the whole story here. And it doesn't surprise me.

Steeler 08-24-2010 10:48 PM

Give the NCRS a break and put yourself in their shoes for once. The life these rules save could be yours.

tc[/QUOTE]

Wow - I suppose we could bring back the RED Flag waved at walking pace, to alert all bystanders, since it appears the car must have left the site in an uncontrolled manner?, with potential danger to all near it.:eek:

1snake 08-24-2010 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo64 (Post 1575115400)
guess i won't be needing that ncrs sticker on my window wing anymore-you got a raw deal, criminals here get less-Ncrs had better take a look at who makes up the membership and how much of this garbage we will put up with before withdrawing. what they did is wrong,

:iagree: Only the kool-aid drinkers will take the other side:rolleyes: and I say 'f--kem':smash:

gilbybarr 08-24-2010 11:04 PM

Yowza.....guess we need to have a winner take all "cage match" at Carlisle! We'll settle this ruckus once and for all! For me, I hope enjoy the NCRS display, the NCCC display, the Forum folks, and everyone else under "the big Corvette tent." There is room for all! :)

DZAUTO 08-24-2010 11:12 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I've read EVERY SINGLE comment so far. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I have read comments that I've been making for years-------------and seemingly no one listens (or reads as it is)-----------------until now.
I had an experience with NCRS, an unpleasant one, and totally disassociated myself with them-----------but maintained my membership because quite honestly, the tech information and sources for good used parts (and at one time good prices) was unmatched. Plus, in my own sort of warped way of thinking, it was my way of staying under NCRS's skin.
On ocassion, I'm on the NCRS forum and ocassionally, I reply to questions that I am knowledgeable about. And on ocassion (probably more than I should) I take a jab at NCRS---------------with no apologies------------------and why should I apologize? They've never apologized to me! Sooooooooooooooo, I keep my membership current and just keep rolling along and take the speed bumps as they come.
Many years ago, the national judging chairman was running for that office (he wasn't chairman then) and sent out letters to members asking for their vote. I fired back an ugly letter severely admonishing him for even asking for my vote. Next thing I knew, bright and early on a Sunday morning, he called me asking what in the world he had done to provoke my anger toward him. We had a LOOOOOOOOOOONG, productive talk and I very graffically explained to him my grief with NCRS. He emphatically invited me to come to the chapter NCRS meeting in Tulsa and observe for myself that things were changing for the better within NCRS (he readily ackinowledged that there were some areas that were in serious need of improvement). So, I went to a chapter meeting in Tulsa, and guess what???? With only ONE exception, those are a bunch of GREAT guys and I have been VERY pleasantly received and treated like a long lost member of the family.

Soooooooooooooooooooo, with all of the above said, what's the bottom line regarding NCRS overall? I'll be darned if I know!
Yes, I suppose there are still some NCRS members that don't fit my definition of a "good guy" (and one of them is deceased now).
But on the other hand, I've associated with some really great NCRS members.
And for those who may go far enough back and are familiar with the rift between John Neas and NCRS, and are just silently lurking about in stealth mode, I have always been in agreement with John's position on the matter.

Let's turn our attention to Corvette forum now.
I sort of think that for the most part, I fit in here. The main reason is because at times of controversy, conflict as well as agreement, things can be discussed, cussed and for the most part, resolved. Also, there is a LOT more information available for exchange relating to concerns beyond correct head bolt markings, overspray and factory imperfections that MUST be retained. Yes, there are also discussions about absolute factory correctness which is great information to have available. I do love and admire ANY car, or steam locomotive, or WWII plane or whatever that has been perfectly restored to it's original as-built configuration. But I also love a VERY WELL built 70 SS Chevelle with a 502, fresh interior, knockout paint and cool tunes just as much as I love an immaculate 63 Z06 or a tastefully built 67 coupe with a chromed BB and blower sticking up through the hood.
So, just because it isn't built to your standards, recognize that someone else may not look into the same mirror that you look into. :thumbs:
Tom Parsons

Rick Gower 08-24-2010 11:39 PM

I was going to stay out of this but I cannnot. First let me say I know and like Roy. He is a wealth of knowledge and a nice guy. But that said, he does not follow rules. I was at Bend and witnessed Roy leaving the field. Roy has left several omissions out of his story. I will just list a few. Roy did the exact same thing at the San Jose National last year. He was informed on both occasions that cars were not allowed to leave. He chose to do so regardless with total disgard for the safety of the speculators. Roy had packed up from the swap meet the previous day. He attended the awards banquet that evening four hours after leaving the field. Please understand that the safety of all is the number one priority of the NCRS staff and I hope it will always be. Again, I know and like Roy but we are all accountable for our actions and sometimes must receive corrective direction.

Mike Ward 08-25-2010 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rick Gower (Post 1575115891)
I was going to stay out of this but I cannnot. First let me say I know and like Roy. He is a wealth of knowledge and a nice guy. But that said, he does not follow rules. I was at Bend and witnessed Roy leaving the field. Roy has left several omissions out of his story. I will just list a few. Roy did the exact same thing at the San Jose National last year. He was informed on both occasions that cars were not allowed to leave. He chose to do so regardless with total disgard for the safety of the speculators. Roy had packed up from the swap meet the previous day. He attended the awards banquet that evening four hours after leaving the field. Please understand that the safety of all is the number one priority of the NCRS staff and I hope it will always be. Again, I know and like Roy but we are all accountable for our actions and sometimes must receive corrective direction.

Thank you for sharing another view of what actually took place.

vettebuyer6369 08-25-2010 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575114688)
Whaaa? The vast majority of cars owned by members are not 'perfect numbers matching' cars by any means- including and especially mine. I have never ONCE felt looked down upon in any way by any member.

In fact the only place I see any real snobbism is here.............

You guys are a real hoot sometimes.

Mike- its a losing battle.

The slightest excuse for ripping NCRS gets the villagers a chance to get their torches out and blame NCRS for killing Kennedy. No where is that more prevalent than the Corvette Forum. Still not sure why that is.

Any sort of truth vs the flat-out fairy tales like the above is ignored.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1.../villagers.jpg

1955 copper 08-25-2010 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter (Post 1575114678)
Rule has been in effect for ever - Roy knew that he could NOT remove his car from the field until JUDGING had been completed - that is what he forgot to tell you - when judging is complete the cars are released and the owners can then do what they want

I said I knew that and was told not to ,but I did . That's why I said I did a bad thing . I'm not blaming NCRS ! DID I ? It's being taken off the NCRS forum that I feel is wrong:cheers:

Larry P 08-25-2010 12:36 AM

I have only been involved in this since 1998. If you think what Roy's experience was an injustice, don't try to get involved as a new member.
I am finally going to say this! Every attempt to become involved has been met with rejection. The rude, condescending behavior from the local and national level has caused me to give up any idea of ever going for judging at any level.
When I started building my car, I did everything with consideration of being judged. With 8 miles on my body off restoration I ventured to my first local judging meet. I went not to be judged, but as a year long member with my car for the first time. I was ignored! When I say ignored, I'm talking about driving my car to within 50 feet of everybody present and walking through a group of 50 people and looking at every car present. I was humiliated because nobody spoke to me! Not one person. I had been to 8 meetings with these people! I had an article about my venture into the hobby published in the newsletter! I left and never went back. I never had a cross word or problem with any of them, just wasn't excepted, Or, did not feel excepted.
Street rod club, Softball league for 28 years, rotary club for 24 years, country club for 25 years, never have had problems with anybody.
I would like to have my car judged, it's not worth the aggravation!
Larry