CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Leaving NCRS (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2666549-leaving-ncrs.html)

Vette Daddy 08-24-2010 07:30 PM

This is very unfortunate. No one wins.

Roy loses because he has contributed so much over the years to all Corvette people, NCRS included.

NCRS loses Roy's contributions and his dedication to helping others in the NCRS.

While I have been a member since 1995 #27131, I am sad to hear of this. I have cars judged and play the "game" but have never really enjoyed the process. There is a certain amount of arrogance among "some" in the organization.

Thankfully, those are the minority. Gary Mortimer and his wife and also John Wagoner have always been exceptional to me.

It's just a necessity for myself and my business.

gilbybarr 08-24-2010 07:31 PM

I've been there too.....they are really big on not allowing competitors to drive their cars off the field until the judging has been completed......and as you know, sometimes that can take a LONG TIME given the multiple teams and the level of scrutiny that a car gets. Assume this is for safety and also to avoid a hectic traffic jam of cars going every which way while judges could still be laying on the ground under cars. I was aware of the rules each time I competed and just planned around them. Sorry that you got hit so hard.....but it sounds like you are taking it in stride and have as positive an attitude about it as possible. NCRS is a good organization that has accomplished a lot for the hobby.....it just has some pretty sticky rules that they expect their members to live by. Good luck....and you have a beauty of a car!

Qblue92 08-24-2010 07:36 PM

That's a harsh punisment for a petty crime. I can't believe they would do that to a 35 year member. Someone needs to post this on their website.
I have a friend loaned his '64 coupe to a local NCRS function for the weekend. They were pretty rude to him. I'm sure its the minority, but there's a few socially inept people in that club.

jdk971 08-24-2010 07:37 PM

having been in law enforcement, it reminds me of the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. you would think they would be a little forgiving.
i would wait till you cool down before you burn a bridge. i do not belong
to the org. but every org. has one if ya know what i mean. nice vette and
best of luck jim

Gimme1MoreC1 08-24-2010 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1575113103)
It seems the NCRS brass understand the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law...an all too common failing.

Frankie, that is very well put.

I have been a member since the early 70's and appreciate the organization, but it sounds like there was no discussion, no kangaroo court, simply a trip to NCRS house arrest without an ankle bracelet.
We will still look forward to your posts here. Heck, It makes my day just looking at your avatar, love your car. Keep your head high, you have one of the best looking Corvettes on earth! :thumbs:

vette54728702 08-24-2010 08:05 PM

That's a bummer Jim, the NCRS has it place in the hobby, not everyone agrees, and it sounds like you have been a big help there... best of luck with the situation!

GCD1962 08-24-2010 08:10 PM

Because you didn't stay they couldn't sit there and tell you what was wrong with your car.No wonder you were banned, that's what the organization exists for !

63 Coupe 08-24-2010 08:14 PM

Ncrs

The only way we can show our dissatifaction is to not renew, I also have had NCRS members take exception to my 63 not being to the letter. I have to remind them I had it restored to be a driver for me, not to be judged by a committe.

Mike Ward 08-24-2010 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by jdk971 (Post 1575113283)
having been in law enforcement, it reminds me of the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. you would think they would be a little forgiving.

There's two sides to the story- as always.

All members submitting their cars for judging are advised that cars cannot be removed from the field prior to the end of judging. It's a standard rule for all judging meets that's been around for many years. The penalty for not complying with this rule is a 13 month (not 15 month) suspension from judging activities. This penalty, being that it's as stiff as it is, is well known by all members.

The reasons for the rule are 1) safety of the judges and spectators. Powerful sports cars and little kids running around are not a good mix 2) Opportunity for the attendees to see each and every car, ostensibly to learn some minute rare detail. Most judges put in an eight hour day and may not have a chance to see cars that they didn't personally judge.

It would be difficult to meet both requirements if cars 'took off' as soon as judging on their own car is finished with or because the owner felt like going for a ride while he waited his turn. The alternative is that if you don't like it, don't show up.

Having said all that, and in the light of 'spirit of the law', it's relatively common for participants to pre-arrange a reasonable early departure or late arrival time with the meet organizers for legitimate reasons or obviously in the case of emergency.

Being a co-organizer of NCRS chapter meets and a regional, I know of no request that was turned down at our own meets or of other chapters. Roy states himself that he removed his car every day at the Bend meet as he had no other vehicle to use.

As I've said before, it wouldn't be the CF unless there was a good NCRS bash now and then. :smash: Knock yourself out, please. :D

1955 copper 08-24-2010 08:19 PM

Over the 35 plus years I've never dis=liked anyone , OK may one ! But NCRS is a great organization having good members and great judges . Never had a argument with a judge or anyone , may be because I'm not a funatic on weather I get any award some members think I don't care about NCRS . But I do . There was about 1 1/2 hours till 5pm vary few cars shown ,entered was 1 other 55, 1 56, 2 57 and 1 62 easy to leave the field but I should have followed the rules so I cant say anything bad . I will still advise people to join NCRS.
At plus 70 years old I don't have the need to argue about this, 99% of my enjoyment is driving our 55 and many others year Corvettes we have had .So I would hope people don't make a big deal of our experiencee. My only concern is that I was asked to help re-write the 55 JM and now it seems that is over. I think here on CF it's easy to experience my thoughts and learn from others about the cars we love.
:)

magicv8 08-24-2010 08:22 PM

I left NCRS 6 months ago. I understand that it's a club, and there are
rules, but the rules sometimes seem quite arbitrary.

claysmoker 08-24-2010 08:22 PM

I'll just say it like this:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/IMG_1875.jpg

Rotten deal Roy, especially since you committed such a "serious" infraction:lol:

Kensmith 08-24-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by claysmoker (Post 1575113727)
I'll just say it like this:

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...n/IMG_1875.jpg

Rotten deal Roy, especially since you committed such a "serious" infraction:lol:

Nice frame Dave! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

1snake 08-24-2010 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575113661)
As I've said before, it wouldn't be the CF unless there was a good NCRS bash now and then. :smash: Knock yourself out, please. :D

Having been a NCRS member a he11 of a lot longer than you, and so has Roy, this isn't your generic bashing that you constantly whine about :rolleyes:. It is a complaint towards a few of enthusiasts' that obviously don't have a grasp of the hobby and border on being a bunch of rule Nazi's. Justify this however you want but to me, and the majority, this puts the NCRS in a very bad light and rightly so. It's crap like this that makes most shy away from becoming members. I suggest you take this to the ones that you so admire and make some changes before the NCRS is reduced to a "has been".:smash:

Jim

Mike Ward 08-24-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1575113793)
It is a complaint towards a few of enthusiasts' that obviously don't have a grasp of the hobby and border on being a bunch of rule Nazi's.
Jim

Is it? How do you know? Were you there?

If Roy had asked for an early departure and was denied 'just to be a rule n*zi' then you'd be right.

I'll let Roy comment.

If you're still a member, you'd be aware of another case earlier this year, so there's no excuse for 'not knowing'.

1snake 08-24-2010 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1575113950)
Is it? How do you know? Were you there?

If Roy had asked for an early departure and was denied 'just to be a rule n*zi' then you'd be right.

I'll let Roy comment.

If you're still a member, you'd be aware of another case earlier this year, so there's no excuse for 'not knowing'.

Nope, I wasn't there and neither were you. But still, a member a lot longer than you. Please don't take a "holier than thou" attitude with me. You're still a "newbie" as far as I'm concerned and have no place to spout your B.S. on this subject. On this subject, the NCRS is WRONG. :smash:

Jim

PAmotorman 08-24-2010 08:56 PM

i guess the trailer queen owners do want any dust stirred up on the judging field before they get the car covers on. :D

jimh_1962 08-24-2010 09:00 PM

Roy, you are too good of a person to deal with that kind of BS. Especially when you are one of the first person to start these clubs. Heck, at the Reno swap meet people were leaving around 2PM. I would expect the same when it comes to being done with what you wanted to do. I do understand they want to give people enough time to look around. Though leaving a couple of hours earlier or by 5 should be acceptable.

vettedreamer50 08-24-2010 09:00 PM

I dont know anything about the NCRS, but generally all clubs have their "Neidermiers" (Animal House) who have a absurd,unnatural need to control and exercise their "Power", so I dont join anything anymore. As Groucho said " I wouldnt join any club that would have me as a member". Sorry to hear about your experience, but it eventually happens.

Mike Ward 08-24-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by 1snake (Post 1575114064)
Nope, I wasn't there and neither were you. But still, a member a lot longer than you. Please don't take a "holier than thou" attitude with me. You're still a "newbie" as far as I'm concerned and have no place to spout your B.S. on this subject. On this subject, the NCRS is WRONG. :smash:

Jim

So being a member longer than me allows you to take a holier than thou attitude. Gotcha.

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me. :rofl: :ack: