CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Southwest (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southwest-44/)
-   -   Texas - Doe Out of State Car Buyers have to pay sales tax here? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southwest/2639134-texas-doe-out-of-state-car-buyers-have-to-pay-sales-tax-here.html)

BRU 07-16-2010 10:49 AM

Texas - Doe Out of State Car Buyers have to pay sales tax here?

Whoops - Added an e to "Do"

We're selling our C6 and the only interest we've had thus far has been from out of state. I had one buyer ask me if he would have to pay sales tax in Texas if he's buying here. I would think he'd have to pay sales tax in his state (or in Canada) to get it registered there, but not in Texas. Anyone know? Thanks. :)

98C5RT 07-16-2010 11:14 AM

Yes, the buyer pays taxes in the state in which the car is ultimately registered.

BRU 07-16-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 98C5RT (Post 1574715834)
Yes, the buyer pays taxes in the state in which the car is ultimately registered.

Right, but do they have to pay Texas anything?

AMGPilot 07-16-2010 12:43 PM

I would call the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them what you should do to sell a Texas registered vehicle to an out of state individual.

There are several steps you need to take in order to protect yourself and to ensure that your vehicle is transfered properly. They will be able to explain everything in detail to you over the phone :thumbs:

Their phone number is: 1-888-DMVGOTX (368-4689).

Good luck with selling you car :cheers:

AM.MSCL 07-16-2010 01:27 PM

No they will not have to pay Texas sales tax if they are registering the car in another state.
California is one of the few states that is required.

PCMusicGuy 07-16-2010 02:36 PM

Taxes are paid when the car is registered, to whatever state it is registered.

BRU 07-16-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot (Post 1574716836)
I would call the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them what you should do to sell a Texas registered vehicle to an out of state individual.

There are several steps you need to take in order to protect yourself and to ensure that your vehicle is transfered properly. They will be able to explain everything in detail to you over the phone :thumbs:

Their phone number is: 1-888-DMVGOTX (368-4689).

Good luck with selling you car :cheers:

Okay, I just called the TXDMV (thanks for the contact info) and they confirmed that no taxes are due in Texas if selling to an out of state buyer.

Thanks for all the responses! :cheers:

AMGPilot 07-17-2010 06:18 AM

You are welcome :)

Link: TxDMV Title FAQs

On their website they have "Title FAQs" and it states:

What steps should I take when I sell my vehicle?

Keep your license plates and transfer them to your new vehicle.

When you keep your license plates, the buyer has to transfer the vehicle title and this helps to protect you.

When you take off the plates, the buyer will need a Vehicle Transit Permit to drive the vehicle to the county tax office to re-title the car or truck.

Provide the buyer with all the documents needed to transfer the title:

•A signed title
•A signed vehicle title application
•The vehicle's latest registration receipt
•Any other supporting documents, such as a release of lien, power of attorney, etc.

Then, accompany the buyer to the county tax office to verify the buyer files a new vehicle title application under his/her name. If you sell or trade in your vehicle to a dealer, or if the buyer can't go to the tax office, you need to notify us of the sale by filing a vehicle vehicle transfer notification within 30 days of selling the vehicle.