CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Grand Sport Suspension (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2630463-grand-sport-suspension.html)

Smooth9883 07-03-2010 08:12 PM

Grand Sport Suspension

I always hear the GS has stiffer suspension than the base coupe. The problem that's all I hear.

Does anyone know for a fact that the suspension is stiffer than the base coupe? If so what are the specs. Wikipedia doesn't say anything and from my recollection chevy doesn't mention anything on their website.

Am Not looking hard enough?

Vettin08 07-03-2010 08:32 PM

It's mildly stiffer, yes.

mtrainer 07-03-2010 08:35 PM

I had a 2001 corvette back in 2001. This new 2010 Grand Sport seems to be a much smoother ride...the 2001 could be outright jaring. What ever they have done it's really been great - this car seems to handle better, is quieter in the inside, and smother for everyday driving than I ever expected.

Suppose you could go to a dealer and try both out.

Good Luck,

Mark

Bill Dearborn 07-03-2010 09:13 PM

The GS got what used to be the old Z51 suspension which is about the minimum stiffness you would want in a Vette.

Bill

Ktzon 07-03-2010 09:13 PM

I've had 3 C-6's and the GS rides and handles the best.

RicK T 07-03-2010 09:28 PM

We've been discussing this for a year and so far I haven't seen any spring rate charts that include the GS and now we are trying to confirm which springs the 2011 GS with F55 will have. So the best right now is some deductive reasoning.

All C6's start with the same "standard" suspension, known as RPO FE1...seen here from the Order Guide:

FE1---Suspension, 4-wheel independent, includes transverse composite
springs
Then up until the 2010 Model Year you either "added" the F55 Mag Ride Shocks, which does not mention or include "different" springs:

F55---Magnetic Selective Ride Control for ultimate driver control and comfort through the use of driver-selected Tour or Sport modes
OR you opted for the RPO Z51, which does mention and include "different" springs, shocks and sway bars but NOT the F55 shocks:

Z51---Z51 Performance Package, performance-oriented package for the Gymkhana/Autocross enthusiast; includes extra cooling, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, specific shock absorbers, larger brakes with cross-drilled rotors, specific tires and Z51-specific 6-speed manual when ordered with 6-speed manual transmission or (GU2) performance axle ratio with 6-speed paddle shift automatic
1 - Not available with (F55) Magnetic Selective Ride Control.
Starting in 2010 with the GS, which is a "separate" model, the Order Guide shows the same listings for the "Base Coupe and Convertible" as far as the FE1 base suspension and the only option is adding the F55 shocks to the base suspension, same as prior years.

For the GS, the Order Guide only lists ONE suspension, standard on all GS's, RPO Z16:

Z16---Z16 Performance Package, performance-oriented package for the Gymkhana/Autocross enthusiast; includes extra cooling, stiffer springs and stabilizer bars, specific shock absorbers, larger brakes with 6 piston front and 4 piston rear cross-drilled rotors, specific tires and Z16-specific 6-speed manual when ordered with 6-speed manual transmission or (GU2) performance axle ratio with 6-speed paddle shift automatic
Notice the exact same words used to describe both the Z51 and Z16 extra cooling, stiffer springs and sway bars and specific shocks? Does that mean the GS HAS the old Z51 suspension? I (most of us) think so but not everyone agrees. Some seem to think the GS suspension is unique, somewhere between the Z51 and Z06 and I haven't seen any documentation to prove either.

Then you throw in the 2011 GS now offering the F55 option, with no mention of "different" springs:

F55---F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control for ultimate driver control and comfort through the use of driver-selected Tour or Sport modes
1 - When ordered with (MN6) 6-speed manual transmission, also includes Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar GEN2 tires.
It is known fact that on the Base Coupe and Convertible the F55 shocks are "added" to the base FE1 suspension, no different springs. So one must conclude that the F55 shocks for the GS are "added" to the base GS Z16 suspension. Yes? Yet some here are saying and believing that the GS with F55 is getting "softer" springs and shocks. But again I haven't seen any proof either way.

Bottom line, I deduce that the GS has the old Z51 suspension and the 2011 GS with F55 will have the F55 shocks "added" to the Z51 suspension, the way F55 should have been all along (my editorial :D).

If I'm proven wrong I'll admit I was wrong, but I don't think I am.

Reference C5 and C6 spring and sway bar chart:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h9...rings_comp.jpg

Smooth9883 07-03-2010 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1574588835)
We've been discussing this for a year and so far I haven't seen any spring rate charts that include the GS and now we are trying to confirm which springs the 2011 GS with F55 will have. So the best right now is some deductive reasoning.

All C6's start with the same "standard" suspension, known as RPO FE1...seen here from the Order Guide:

Then up until the 2010 Model Year you either "added" the F55 Mag Ride Shocks, which does not mention or include "different" springs:

OR you opted for the RPO Z51, which does mention and include "different" springs, shocks and sway bars but NOT the F55 shocks:

Starting in 2010 with the GS, which is a "separate" model, the Order Guide shows the same listings for the "Base Coupe and Convertible" as far as the FE1 base suspension and the only option is adding the F55 shocks to the base suspension, same as prior years.

For the GS, the Order Guide only lists ONE suspension, standard on all GS's, RPO Z16:

Notice the exact same words used to describe both the Z51 and Z16 extra cooling, stiffer springs and sway bars and specific shocks? Does that mean the GS HAS the old Z51 suspension? I (most of us) think so but not everyone agrees. Some seem to think the GS suspension is unique, somewhere between the Z51 and Z06 and I haven't seen any documentation to prove either.

Then you throw in the 2011 GS now offering the F55 option, with no mention of "different" springs:

It is known fact that on the Base Coupe and Convertible the F55 shocks are "added" to the base FE1 suspension, no different springs. So one must conclude that the F55 shocks for the GS are "added" to the base GS Z16 suspension. Yes? Yet some here are saying and believing that the GS with F55 is getting "softer" springs and shocks. But again I haven't seen any proof either way.

Bottom line, I deduce that the GS has the old Z51 suspension and the 2011 GS with F55 will have the F55 shocks "added" to the Z51 suspension, the way F55 should have been all along (my editorial :D).

Wow. That was awesome! I guess that's what I was getting at. It's hard to find specifics. Either way I love the car. Was just curious on specs of stiffness. What is the difference between the models.

Thanks for the reply though.

Bill Dearborn 07-04-2010 01:18 AM

It should be easy to tell from the RPO sticker. The Z51 package had the FE3 suspension. If the GS has FE3 in the RPO list then it is the same as the Z51. Z06 is the FE4 suspension.

Bill

coolcat 07-04-2010 07:10 AM

AFVETTE 07-04-2010 09:03 AM

Its funny folks bashed the Z51 for years, now the Z52 is suddenly a world class suspension. That wide-body look does wonders for one's psyche.

Tom

not08crmanymore 07-04-2010 09:08 AM

Mz6= launch control!!:D

bluman 07-04-2010 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by AFVETTE (Post 1574591401)
That wide-body look does wonders for one's psyche.

It did for me !

j/k ;)

ryanc440 07-04-2010 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by AFVETTE (Post 1574591401)
That wide-body look does wonders for one's psyche.

Did for me; I wouldn't have purchased a C6 without it... unless of course I had the money to immediately convert it to a widebody :D

Tom's_03SVT 07-04-2010 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ryanc440 (Post 1574591819)
Did for me; I wouldn't have purchased a C6 without it... unless of course I had the money to immediately convert it to a widebody :D

+1 :iagree:

mpuzach 07-04-2010 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RicK T (Post 1574588835)

Your theory makes complete sense, Rick. If it's accurate, it also explains why GM charges $1695 for F55 on a GS in addition to the full GS incremental price over a base car when the GS already includes suspension upgrades. In 2009, for example, F55 was $1995 and Z51 was $1695. I'd have thought that on a 2011 GS, F55 would have been around $300 since it was a substitute for the "standard" GS suspension. If, as you theorize, F55 on a GS is in addition to the "standard" GS suspension upgrades, that would help explain the $1695 price.

jksvet 07-05-2010 09:40 PM

For what it's worth, the build sheet on my 2010 GS, Manual tranny,vert, says z/51.

arcticblast 07-05-2010 10:14 PM

My build sheet says Z51 H/D suspension, FE3, springs are AA 80.
(2010 A6 GS Coupe)

j4three 07-06-2010 04:48 PM

I just finished putting a GS conversion on my '07 Z51 coupe. Per GM replacement parts (thanks Gene and Patrick:cheers:), I found the following:

GS, Z51 and Z06 all use the same front sway

GS and Z06 use the same rear sway ... Z51 is smaller

GS and Z51 use the same springs ... Z06 is stiffer

GS and Z06 use the same front shocks ... Z51 is different

GS, Z51 and Z06 all have different rear shocks

Base model uses completely different parts.

carpe dm 07-06-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1574588734)
The GS got what used to be the old Z51 suspension which is about the minimum stiffness you would want in a Vette.
Bill

:iagree: We also have a Vette with MSRC, and the GS ride is just as good. We were very pleasantly surprised! :cheers:

odysseus1 07-06-2010 05:18 PM

Rick T , Thank you for the thoughtful thread. Great logic and a strong base of knowledge!