CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Rear view mirror lights stay on (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2565655-rear-view-mirror-lights-stay-on.html)

99 hardtop 08 04-04-2010 10:27 PM

Rear view mirror lights stay on

The lights in my rear view mirror intermently stay on ,any ideas?

byronhunter 04-05-2010 12:02 AM

Hey 99 hardtop 08, is that all the info we can get out of you????????:thumbs:

99 hardtop 08 04-05-2010 09:04 PM

I have noticed the lights staying on a couple of times the first time I thought it just needed more time to shut off the second time my battery was dead and wasnt sure why the third time was yesterday. i got out of my car pulled the key and shut the door after a few minutes I walked back by the car to discover the lights on. They will shut off by pushing the fob or I can put the key in the ignition and if I do that the light goes off and the floor ligths stay off too. Close the door and reopen it and it goes back to normal function .
Best regards, Bryce

byronhunter 04-05-2010 09:58 PM

Now! That's a better description of the problem, so maybe someone else has had the same problem and will post some help.:flag:
----------------------------------------
Remember it's easy to turn them on manually and forget to turn them off.

dgrant3830 04-05-2010 10:55 PM

That's what it sounds like..turned on manually and never turned back off.

Carcass 04-05-2010 10:56 PM

You can shut them off with the switches on the mirror till you get the problem figued out-it may save some wear and tear on your battery

Courtesy Lamp Microrelay 42,in the instrument panel electrical center(passengers side footwell),is what controls the lamps in the rearview-it appears to be a load monitoring relay,so it could be sticking in the "on" position occasionally.

This is what I found in the shop manual for my 98,-- I'm not the best at reading schematics,but if it was my car doing what yours is doing,I'd check this first.

mcgilles 04-05-2010 11:13 PM

it does seem like those lights take forever to turn off. and the interior lights don't all turn off at the same time. I noticed that the door control lights stay on for several minutes longer than any other light in my car. I guess it was designed that way in case you were still sitting inside so you can see the lock/unlock buttons? I found that odd that that its just those two lights, everything else is off, but those stay on for what seems like forever. they always go off eventually though.

ALLEGRO 04-05-2010 11:42 PM

Capt. Obvious here.

Get in, crank it up and THEN turn the lights on from the mirror. It really does sound like you have them manually on.

Good Luck

99 hardtop 08 04-06-2010 09:45 PM

I will check into it, hopefully that is all it is. I did just replace the turn signal switch so perhaps it got bumped or somthing.
Thanks for everyones help !
Bryce!

ALLEGRO 04-07-2010 01:36 AM

Update ??