CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Optima Battery for C6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2553530-optima-battery-for-c6.html)

01redvette 03-20-2010 09:57 AM

Optima Battery for C6

Need some advice. Wanted to replace my battery (before it gave my computer a acid bath) with a Optima Red Top. My battery friend told me Optima doesn't make a recessed post top model that the C6 required. If this is true what has very body been using. I have the battery cover and want to make sure it still fits. Do I have a choice or do I need to stay with the old battery technology ?

C6 MoneyPit 03-20-2010 10:34 AM

Here you go - :thumbs:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...5-shipped.html

lefthander 03-20-2010 12:21 PM

Just replaced battery in my 07, C6 last week. Went with the Optima red top. I also have the battery cover and it works just fine.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

j_digi454 03-20-2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by lefthander (Post 1573484389)
Just replaced battery in my 07, C6 last week. Went with the Optima red top. I also have the battery cover and it works just fine.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Just for info, could you post which model you used. Thanks.

I assume it fit with the OEM hold-down bracket.

PO10TIAL 03-20-2010 01:05 PM

I think I used Optima Red Top 34/78..... I think you have to put it in backwards so the terminals reached. You get a new bracket with the battery and it fits the C6.....:flag:

j_digi454 03-20-2010 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by PO10TIAL (Post 1573484749)
I think I used Optima Red Top 34/78..... I think you have to put it in backwards so the terminals reached. You get a new bracket with the battery and it fits the C6.....:flag:

Thanks for the info, I'm close to needing a new battery and have been thinking of the Optima Red as a replacement but was concerned about using the existing bracket.

orca1946 03-20-2010 03:58 PM

Feb 2006 & still running fine - also my daily driver , maybe why it lasts longer than a stored one .

SilverScorp 03-20-2010 04:03 PM

I have a optima red top in my car and used the old bracket, works fine.

Keith N 03-20-2010 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by orca1946 (Post 1573486114)
Feb 2006 & still running fine - also my daily driver , maybe why it lasts longer than a stored one .

Same here, my 2006 is the oem battery. My C6 isn't a DD, but it's driven every weekend. I'll probably be looking at an Optima battery soon. What is the difference or recommended for a C6 Coupe - yellow or red?

SilverScorp 03-20-2010 04:20 PM

The red top has more cold cranking power whereas the yellow has more (operating?) power. They way I was told is that you don't need a yellow top unless your running a high amp sound system with a lot of wattage, or some other high wattage electronics.

C6 MoneyPit 03-20-2010 04:35 PM

The yellow top can withstand discharge-recharge cycles without hurting the battery. It's recommended if you have a high-amp sound system or a lot of other electrical devices, like DVD players, etc.

I would go with the yellow top. The cold cranking amps are only a little lower than the red top. I had a red top and it died in 1 1/2 years, I think because I let it go dead. After that, it would not hold a full charge. I'm waiting to see if Optima is going to replace it. It obviously has an internal short.

With the yellow top, even if it does go dead, you can recharge it and it is as good as new.:thumbs:

Or you can go to Costco and get a 100 month battery with 36 month free replacement for $60, less than 1/2 the cost of the Optimas.

lefthander 03-20-2010 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by j_digi454 (Post 1573484487)
Just for info, could you post which model you used. Thanks.

I assume it fit with the OEM hold-down bracket.

Used the 75/35 red top. Did not change brackets, sat it in place and hooked it up. Added velcro at top edge on side and replaced battery cover. End of install.:cheers::cheers:

inthehunt2 03-20-2010 05:18 PM

Here's what pulled down from the Optima website...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PRODUCT: Battery
VEHICLE: 2008 CHEVROLET CORVETTE 6.2L : 376-cid : V8 : GAS
OPTIONS: None Selected
PREFERENCES: None Selected

Part List

Not sure which option is right for your vehicle? Read about the product lines below to determine the best match, then click on part number to view images and product details.

RedTop: High-CCA starting battery. Provides engine cranking power for vehicles with stock or average electrical loads.

YellowTop: Dual-purpose starting and deep cycle battery. Provides engine starting power plus deep cycle capacity to support multiple accessories , demanding electrical systems , and vehicles without alternators.

2 Parts Found
Group # Description
35 (8020-164) RedTop®; Battery;
D35 (8040-218) YellowTop®; Deep Cycle Battery;

78PC 03-20-2010 06:03 PM

Perfect Fit

Hello Terry

A YellowTop D35 will fit a 2005 Corvette.

Thank you,
Daryl
Optima Customer Service

FZovko 03-20-2010 06:23 PM

Go with a Diehard

I spent nearly $200 on an Optima Yellow Top. It didnt even last the year. I am back with my stock AC Delco. Advanced Auto wouldnt do a replace on the battery. Save your money and buy a Diehard and a Trickle Charger.

Nothing more annoying than a $60K car that never starts. Good Luck.

P.S. I bought into all the Optima love on the site and decided to avoid battery failure due to DBS. Dont waste you $$$ IMHO. At least Sears stands behind their products. I figured I did not have a battery problem dealer tested the Optima and it was bad!!! I let the dealer junk the battery. Im so pissed. No more Optima's or Advance Auto for me.

Watchwait 04-09-2010 07:10 PM

Can someone point me to a photo of the "battery top" that is being referred to here? Was this a stock Corvette item? I cheked GM Parts House, and I see something called a Battery Hold Down and Battery Bolt. Is this some special type of battery dentention system?