CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   BBK "Cold" Air Intake? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2550632-bbk-cold-air-intake.html)

eblue2002 03-16-2010 03:24 PM

BBK "Cold" Air Intake = Aluminum Too Hot?

I pulled a Herman Munster and broke one of the plastic pieces where the metal straps hook to hold the stock air filter set up in place.

Good excuse to toss the whole thing and buy an aftermarket air filter set up. If I was looking for the absolute best performance, I would be thinking Vararam or Honker. However, I've got too much else going on (and am still not convinced of the sealing and water withstanding abilities of a "true" cold air intake), so I'm instead looking a) price and b) quick and easy install.

I see this BBK intake on the Corvette Guys site on sale for $269. However, I'm concerned about the fact that it uses aluminum instead of plastic for the ductwork. Although aluminum looks nicer and is probably more durable than plastic, aluminum also gets hot fast. I know I'm already sacrificing some "cool air factor" by selecting an intake that draws air from under the hood vs. from outside the vehicle, but won't having that air pass through hot aluminum (vs. the relatively cooler plastic) immediately before entering the engine only make things worse? Anybody else use this product?

Thanks.

lucky131969 03-16-2010 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by eblue2002 (Post 1573440750)
I pulled a Herman Munster and broke one of the plastic pieces where the metal straps hook to hold the stock air filter set up in place.

Good excuse to toss the whole thing and buy an aftermarket air filter set up. If I was looking for the absolute best performance, I would be thinking Vararam or Honker. However, I've got too much else going on (and am still not convinced of the sealing and water withstanding abilities of a "true" cold air intake), so I'm instead looking a) price and b) quick and easy install.

I see this BBK intake on the Corvette Guys site on sale for $269. However, I'm concerned about the fact that it uses aluminum instead of plastic for the ductwork. Although aluminum looks nicer and is probably more durable than plastic, aluminum also gets hot fast. I know I'm already sacrificing some "cool air factor" by selecting an intake that draws air from under the hood vs. from outside the vehicle, but won't having that air pass through hot aluminum (vs. the relatively cooler plastic) immediately before entering the engine only make things worse? Anybody else use this product?

Thanks.

What makes you think, that once the engine is at operating temp(steady state) that the plastic will be cooler than the aluminum? It's not bolted directly to the engine block, so you don't have conduction. And yes, while aluminum will absorb heat faster than plastic, it will also dissipate faster than plastic (better thermal conductivity).

I think it looks cool.....so if you like...buy it. You won't notice any decrease in performance.

eblue2002 03-16-2010 04:42 PM

I didn't know for sure whether the plastic would be cooler, that's why I'm asking. It just seemed to me that if I shut it off, popped the hood, got out and laid my hand on that aluminum (even though, as you point out, it's not bolted directly to the engine and aluminum does cool off quickly compared to steel, etc.), I'd likely burn the hell out of myself, versus the plastic, which I figured would be relatively cool in comparison.

If that's not the case, great, I want one. Nice price, nice looks, easy to install, and some performance gain. Perfect for what I'm looking for. Just thought I'd ask if anybody else had experience with one before pulling the trigger and ending up with buyer's remorse. That's what the forum's for, right?

ICULUKN-C5 03-16-2010 06:50 PM

I have the BBK.. it works well... For bling I had it polished.. .Looks great.

HiVoltge 03-16-2010 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ICULUKN-C5 (Post 1573442891)
I have the BBK.. it works well... For bling I had it polished.. .Looks great.

I also had the polished BBK piece..It never seemed to get hot and looked great...:cheers: (BTW, it will be for sale soon along with the Blackwing filter.)

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/PICT1027.jpg

76 VETTE 03-17-2010 12:02 AM

Looks real nice!

eblue2002 03-17-2010 08:08 AM

Thanks everybody. HiVoltge - I'll PM you regarding possible sale of your setup.

KB1960 06-17-2014 04:04 AM

Did you have any trouble with the air intake pushing up the hood

[QUOTE=ICULUKN-C5;1573442891]I have the BBK.. it works well... For bling I had it polished.. .Looks great.[/QUOTE