CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Z51 brake upgrade from 2007 C6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2529219-z51-brake-upgrade-from-2007-c6.html)

MotorHead 02-15-2010 01:09 PM

Z51 brake upgrade from 2007 C6

Guy near me has a complete set of Z51 brakes, calipers, rotors etc. Has brackets for upgrading to Z51 brakes on new base Vettes too.

What do I need to upgrade to these brakes or is it even possible ?

"Complete set of Z51 calipers, brackets, brake lines, etc… basically everything you need to install these on your car. Plus Brackets front and rear for upgrading your calipers for Z51 rotors. I am also including a set of front and rear Z51 rotors from a 2007 that have approximately 4,000kms on them." He is talking about upgrading a stock C5-C6 ? to Z51 brakes :thumbs:

MotorHead 02-15-2010 07:02 PM

Nobody ??

Buddy1980 02-15-2010 10:23 PM

Z-51 brake upgrade on C-3

Ok, this is what I can tell you. The front C-6 rotor or C-3 hub must be machined before the front C-6 rotor will fit the hub. Not a problem, the front C-3 hub is about 1/4" to big in diameter to go inside the C-6 rotor. I think some other guys just have the hub machined down, or you might could have the rotor inside diameter opened up instead. Other than that, if you have a bracket to mount the caliper to your C-3 spindle it should work. As for the rear, the C-6 rotor should fit, but your parking brake will no longer work. And for the rear you would also need a bracket to mount the C-6 caliper. Someone may sell these, I made my own out of 2024 aircraft aluminum with a cutoff saw, belt sander and drill press. I made wood patterns until I was satisfied with the fit of the caliper, and then transfered the pattern to the aluminum. And don't forget the C-6 brakes will not fit with your 15" factory wheels.

MotorHead 02-16-2010 12:41 AM

I think someone sells these adapters I just can't remember who.

I can get all these Z51 brake parts for less than $500, calipers, hoses, rotors etc.

I have 18 inch wheels on the back and 17 inch wheels on the front :cheers:

wan2run 02-16-2010 01:03 AM

I did this on my Camaro and am I'm pretty sure you'll need 18's up front if you want to run the 14.5" Z51 rotors. The deep lip I have caused the center (5-star) to hit the caliper so I had to do some grinding on the caliper in order to clear the wheel.

Not sure what you'll need for the C3, but I needed to cut the old mounts from the spindle and buy adapter brackets -

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/Brakes/BCB001R.jpg

I also had to get new brake lines from an LS1 F-body as my stock ones were too short.
Here's what it looks like -

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1266299649

MotorHead 02-16-2010 11:29 AM

Nice :cool: That's what the brakes look like are those 18 inch wheels on the front ?

Thing is I wouldn't be too excited about doing this but I just talked to the guy and it looks like about $400 bucks for an entire Z51 brake system with new pads :eek:

gkull 02-16-2010 03:20 PM

I think that it would be difficult to use the Z-51 rotor unless they are two piece construction. The caliper to spindle mounting plate is easy enough to make if you took your spindle to a machine shop and had them make the plate. I'm lazy so I bought mine from Keith Corvette bakes and parts.

Once you have the caliper mounted you just have to determine which center hat to use for the rotor to caliper alignment.

Also 14 inches is about the limit for 17 wheels.

As a side note last year I got to do a track day in a ladies z-51 equipped C-6. I had this other c-6 owner show me how to turn off the driving traction control. I went around the track at moderate speed with her in passenger seat kind of showing her the correct race line. Well when we were well into the second lap she said she wanted to see what the car could do. So i turned it up to 95% with late braking because I really wanted to see what it could do compared to the lap times of my C-3. Before i made it through two laps the interior was filled with burnt brakes smell. I had to back off because she was going to be lapping the rest of the day and i did not want to boil the brake fluid. Your c-3 stock brakes also last about two laps before complete brake failure.

wan2run 02-16-2010 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1573118504)
Nice :cool: That's what the brakes look like are those 18 inch wheels on the front ?

Thing is I wouldn't be too excited about doing this but I just talked to the guy and it looks like about $400 bucks for an entire Z51 brake system with new pads :eek:

Yes sir.

MotorHead 02-16-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by gkull (Post 1573121077)
I think that it would be difficult to use the Z-51 rotor unless they are two piece construction. The caliper to spindle mounting plate is easy enough to make if you took your spindle to a machine shop and had them make the plate. I'm lazy so I bought mine from Keith Corvette bakes and parts.

Once you have the caliper mounted you just have to determine which center hat to use for the rotor to caliper alignment.

Also 14 inches is about the limit for 17 wheels.

As a side note last year I got to do a track day in a ladies z-51 equipped C-6. I had this other c-6 owner show me how to turn off the driving traction control. I went around the track at moderate speed with her in passenger seat kind of showing her the correct race line. Well when we were well into the second lap she said she wanted to see what the car could do. So i turned it up to 95% with late braking because I really wanted to see what it could do compared to the lap times of my C-3. Before i made it through two laps the interior was filled with burnt brakes smell. I had to back off because she was going to be lapping the rest of the day and i did not want to boil the brake fluid. Your c-3 stock brakes also last about two laps before complete brake failure.

Yeah but with hydroboost they'll put my head thru the windshield on the way to grocery store :rofl:

Sounds like too much work and fiddling around for me, anyone wants these brakes I'll get you in contact with the seller :thumbs:

forvicjr 02-16-2010 10:42 PM

Hey motorhead i seen a c5 conversion on mcspeed.com

MotorHead 02-16-2010 11:17 PM

Thanks, I'm going to let this one slide, I love a good deal and this is a good deal but I have good enough brakes for anything I'm going to be doing :cheers:

gkull 02-17-2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1573125045)
Yeah but with hydroboost they'll put my head thru the windshield on the way to grocery store :rofl:

I have never understood the reveling over hydra boost brakes. I believe the additional pressure all the time is good for consistant braking. But if car "A" with identicle tires as car"B" with Hydr- B and they can both lock the front tires at 100 mph or less. The only difference is car "A" had to use more pedal effort.

give me progressive petal effort any day. Even ABS in my other car is odd to drive around, the abs is pulsing my foot going into every turn even on the street.

MotorHead 02-17-2010 10:34 AM

If you tried it you would probably like it. If you have never tried it then it using a theoretical scenario in you head won't give you the feeling that the less effort to brake in reality does.

I love my pistol grip shifter over the Hurst shifter I had, they both do the same thing and neither is faster or slower but the feeling of the pistol grip shifter when shifting is 10x better to the person that matters, me. :lol: