CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Ignition switch wiring (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2526561-ignition-switch-wiring.html)

jopat86 02-11-2010 02:26 PM

Ignition switch wiring

Hello all, new to the forum.
Need a little help.
C1 with, as far as I know, original wiring harness.
Installed a new ignition switch after a few too many yrs of just sitting, me and the car.
As luck would have it the orig switch was wired wrong to begin with.
I've tried to figure it out without frying anything but still having problems. It'll start and run but it won't shut off. Put the switch in off position and still runs.
I've searched all the threads and looked at the wiring diagram. Nothing tells me what wires from harness, etc. go on which terminals on the switch.
Right now I have:
Pink-ACC
Red-BAT
Brown-IGN
Pink-BAT
Violet-SOL
Any help with what color wires go where on the switch would be great.
Thanks

Frankie the Fink 02-11-2010 03:19 PM

There is no labeling on my C1 schematics (e.g. IGN or ACC) for the back of the ignition switch....a picture with your wires connected would aid greatly in troubleshooting.

Sxrxrnr 02-11-2010 05:08 PM

What year C1? I have Dr. Rebuild schematic for a 59.

jopat86 02-11-2010 05:10 PM

Donald #31176 02-11-2010 05:22 PM

Are you using Delco 577 ignition switch ? The stock ignition harness had a 3 wire plug that connected the solenoid ( violet) battery (red) and ignition(brown) to the switch.. The 2 pink wires are Acc & battery. If the pink wires are connected wrong the turn signal will work in the off or lock position and you just reverse them.

/

DZVette 02-11-2010 05:40 PM

I'll send you some pics when I get home.

DZ

jopat86 02-11-2010 05:52 PM

Using a replacement switch. Says Danchuck on it. Bought from a catalog.
If that's correct wiring then I'm good. Directionals switch not hooked up so I don't know if pink wires are correct.
Might I have a bad switch?
When running I switch to off position, guages go off, engine keeps running.

TroyPyles 02-11-2010 06:35 PM

Danchuck makes parts for passenger cars - 55 to 57 I believe. Switch might not be the same as Vette?

DZVette 02-11-2010 06:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's how I wired my 60 with the Lectric Limited dash harness. Also included is a pic from Don Olson's wiring diagram.

Hope these help.

Dave Z

Sxrxrnr 02-11-2010 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by jopat86 (Post 1573067142)

Doc Rebuild says on a 1959 which I have. However I've an after market wiring system (Ron Francis) in my car so all color coding is different in my car,,,for some ungodly reason. A real pain in the arse.

Looking at the 3 center posts of the switch that are stacked like a pyramid: 2 lower posts, with a single post above them.

Top of pyramid post is red wire that goes to amp gauge passenger side stud. This wire also T's off to go to voltage Regulator "B" Battery Terminal.

Right bottom post of pyramid is purple going to driver side terminal on coil resistor.

Left bottom post of pyramid is purple going to your start solenoid "S" ignition switch terminal.

On left side of pyramid as it stands upright, this post takes a pink wire that goes to fuse block Radio 20 amp fuse position (third from the bottom).

Underneath the bottom of the pyramid is a pink wire that goes to flasher terminal at fuse block,,the top horizontal slot position of the flasher receptacle.

The remaining post on the switch which is above the pyramid, shows as unused.

Again this is all for stock harness wiring in a 59 Vette.

jopat86 02-25-2010 11:36 PM

Got it

Got the switch to work. Starts and shuts off correctly.
Without this forum I'm dead in the water.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
Now on to the wiper motor.

Frankie the Fink 02-26-2010 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by jopat86 (Post 1573233069)
Got the switch to work. Starts and shuts off correctly.
Without this forum I'm dead in the water.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.
Now on to the wiper motor.

You ARE a glutton for punishment! However, there is prob better info in the ST-12 manual on the wiper motor than you could find on the ignition switch.

If the motor is really a mess there is a shop that will rebuild it (not cheap but they do it right), Capitol Restorations out of Maryland (Tom Maxwell)...

four27 01-24-2013 01:42 PM

ignition switch.

If you use the trunk key in the ignition I think you cant shut down the car. That is exactly what happened to me. My local lock guy fixed my switch for 7 bucks.

RC Eugene Oregon

I have two ignition wires under dash I cant figure out what they go to. no matter which of the prongs I hook up everything still works Any ideas!

Frankie the Fink 01-24-2013 02:26 PM

Folks - its a C1; there is NO ACC position on the ignition switch and one key fits EVERYthing (unless somebody swapped locks out at some point)...

One wire close to the ignition switch that can fool you sometimes is the one that goes to the light for the cigarette lighter. The light is missing in many cars (it was in mine) so you have a suspicious looking connector just hanging in space. If one of your wires is gray with a plastic enclosed female spade connector - it could well be the cigarette lighter light power feed.

If the wire reads 12V only when the light switch is pulled out then that is DEFINITELY what it is !