CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   1987 Corvette - Update or keep classic? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2523914-1987-corvette-update-or-keep-classic.html)

ShaneBellone 02-07-2010 04:30 PM

1987 Corvette - Update or keep classic?

I just purchased an '87 Corvette (last week) but am already thinking about mods. Before I get to the engine I'd like to fix the few cosmetic issues it has since the engine is running strong. The interior looks very dated, as it should, but I've been thinking a nice black on black would look great. Additionally the stock rims it has are a bit ugly, I was thinking an update to the C5 'wagon wheels' would be great. Any thought? I'm stuck between an update and just restoring her.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...4&id=825384272

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=825384272

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=825384272

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=825384272

pologreen1 02-07-2010 04:31 PM

Start working Overtime... It's gonna get costly.

ShaneBellone 02-07-2010 04:50 PM

Mmm I also forget to mention I'd like to drop a 383 in there. : D

Unfortunately the government doesn't pay over time :flag:

tnz5106 02-07-2010 04:59 PM

Keep it original!!

Except for a few minor upgrades, maf, air intake, hotter spark, etc. Keep her original. I am a purist when it comes to early c4's. Putting a late c4 ('90-'96) front and rear may seem cool now, but years from now, it will be the looked upon as the equivalant of putting a '80-'82 on an early c3 bumper car. It just don't belong!!

As far as wheels. My favorite c4 wheels period, are the '88-'89 17" saw blades. My 2nd favs are the '86-'87 if they are in nice shape. My least favorite c4 wheels are the late zr-1s (5 spoke)..........just my .02

Jon Hekking 02-07-2010 05:02 PM

You should do whatever you want, I don't think these cars will have an real value as classics for some time if ever. If you prefer the stock look go with it. If you want to modify and drop a 383 in it, do it. It really won't impact on the value of the car. Having said that, be careful as you can easily put more into the car than it will ever be worth and most mods will not add to the value of the car.

Just have fun with it!

Frizlefrak 02-07-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by pologreen1 (Post 1573020346)
Start working Overtime... It's gonna get costly.

That's an understatement :iagree:

Originally Posted by ShaneBellone (Post 1573020577)
Mmm I also forget to mention I'd like to drop a 383 in there. : D

Unfortunately the government doesn't pay over time :flag:

Second job?

My advice? Keep it as it, fix the small stuff a little at a time, and drive the crap out of it. If you want a faster C4, change titles....you will be many $$$ ahead in the long run.

H P Bushrod 02-07-2010 05:50 PM

Congrats on your new Vette! I'd keep it stock and fix the little things as you go along. Enjoy! :cheers:

RetiredSFC 97 02-07-2010 06:25 PM

I would keep the jist of it stock unless you are going tracking.

If you put a 383 in it who would know? Now then you can do things to ugrade the performance of it, some but not a whole lot. New Bosch injectors, a new exhaust, if you don't already have one, K&N air filter will help, Lose the frisbe, shift kit for the tranny will help shifting patterns. There are other little things.

My advice is this. If the car is mechanically sound concentrate on the apperance upgrades such as interior, sound system. You can find all kinds of things to dress it up with but don't go overboard with it. Sometimes too much is just that too much.

Drive it for a year or so, be active on the forum and read everything in the Genneral and Tech sections. There you will learn about your car and what others are doing and how it works out.

Then if you're not happy with the performance, go for it. It's your car.

Listen to the guys who are vette veterans. They know what they are talking about and like to help.

My 10 cents that's worth about a penny and a half.

Oh and don't these guys kid you about white. The first 300 were white, the one millionth was white and the last C4 was white.:D

ch@0s 02-07-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking (Post 1573020733)
You should do whatever you want, I don't think these cars will have an real value as classics for some time if ever. If you prefer the stock look go with it. If you want to modify and drop a 383 in it, do it. It really won't impact on the value of the car. Having said that, be careful as you can easily put more into the car than it will ever be worth and most mods will not add to the value of the car.

Just have fun with it!

Sometimes I wish I would have kept mine stock, but that is when i'm not driving it. The way I see it as long as the block and body are original it's stock. :lol:

ch@0s 02-07-2010 07:21 PM

:cheers:

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97 (Post 1573021524)
My 10 cents that's worth about a penny and a half.

Oh and don't these guys kid you about white. The first 300 were white, the one millionth was white and the last C4 was white.:D

Man!, I was going to give you a whole dollar!

yours must be white :D :leaving:

To the OP.. there is a bunch of smart people in here and a bunch of smart a**es like myself.:rofl:
Welcome to the madness :cheers:

5POINT7 02-07-2010 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak (Post 1573020739)
That's an understatement :iagree:

Second job?

My advice? Keep it as it, fix the small stuff a little at a time, and drive the crap out of it. If you want a faster C4, change titles....you will be many $$$ ahead in the long run.

:iagree: They way I roll is that whenever i need to fix something, i upgrade at the same time. muffler rusting out on you? time for an upgrade. need a new air filter? time for a new intake. etc

Frizlefrak 02-07-2010 07:34 PM

Modded C4's come up for sale all the time too. If you really want a lot more power, sell yours and buy a modded car from some poor sap who is currently learning first hand that he will never get out of his car all the money he put into it. He takes the hit, you have the fun.

ch@0s 02-07-2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak (Post 1573022071)
Modded C4's come up for sale all the time too. If you really want a lot more power, sell yours and buy a modded car from some poor sap who is currently learning first hand that he will never get out of his car all the money he put into it. He takes the hit, you have the fun.

YOU ARE AND EVIL EVIL MAN! but it's true :lol:

Frizlefrak 02-07-2010 08:02 PM

Yes....a bit evil, but hey...someone's gotta take advantage of the current situation, right? :lol:

Old87owner 02-07-2010 08:19 PM

As a fellow 87 owner. I would keep the interior fairly stock, the exterior fairly stock. But no matter what, it is your Vette to do what you like. But wait till you have owned it a bit first.

The only 87 I can ever see really being worth anything as an investment is a Callaway. The rest are just nice pieces of car and history.

I am doing a restoration of my interior to near factory condition. But that is only because I can see the day I will need to do one of 2 things, upgrade to a C-5 or down to a C-3 so I can get in. I have MS and it is slowly progressing.

abnormal_vetter 02-07-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Hekking (Post 1573020733)

Just have fun with it!

C4 Corvettes will have value as a classic. but 'when' is the question. what determines a classic is the fanatics, lovers, drivers or kids who grew up with these cars! To those people the car holds a certain nostalgia and they will buy however many, for however much as they feel satisfies their love. Much like our older generation and their connection to the muscle car period.

I for one are 24. primarily a C3 lover but grew up with the C4 being the 'new kid on the block'. that will be my next purchase. i would much rather a untouched 87-89 than a C5 or even C6. (Z06 & ZR1 excluded :P)

By all means if you feel like modding, do it. i would make sure you keep all the original parts you have changed. and that any mods can be changed for the originals easily. Enjoy the car! :)

ShaneBellone 02-07-2010 08:47 PM

I appreciate all your replies. I wasn't very clear when I said a nice black on black would look good. I meant to say that an ALL black interior would look great. I plan to keep the car white, seeing as to me, that's classic corvette. I mostly agree that a car should be kept as close to stock (regarding appearance) as possible. The 1987 Corvette did come with black interior so I thought that would help update it without compromising it's heritage.

I'm aware that I will never see a fair return in my investment but this car isn't about the money, it's about the drive. In about 2 years I plan to retire the car from daily driving and dedicate it to the track. :willy:

I'd appreciate all opinions and idea's. The car is currently a blank slate with an owner who's willing to take a look at all options. :)

cv67 02-07-2010 09:33 PM

Just do whatever you want with it. C1s, 2s, and some 3s are the ones to be concerned (if thats your bag) with value. C4s are just a bang for the buck Vette which is good...cheap to get into and have some fun. If they become collector items we will probably be too old to care at that point.

ShaneBellone 02-07-2010 09:42 PM

Like I said I'd like to keep the corvette heritage in focus with this build. With track goals I'm going to have to compromise a bit when it comes to the engine and suspension.

For the record YOU might be to old if they become classic :rofl:
I'm only 20 lol. :smash:

Frizlefrak 02-07-2010 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by ShaneBellone (Post 1573023440)
For the record YOU might be to old if they become classic :rofl:
I'm only 20 lol. :smash:

Sure....rub it in why don't you. :lol: :lol: :(