CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2500552-how-far-back-do-you-have-to-go-for-no-smog-stuff.html)

enkeivette 01-13-2010 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1572742499)
And still not be able to drive your car. :willy:

Nope, if you make the cop get a warrant you have a 50 50 chance. He'll have to prove just cause to get a judge to agree to trample your rights. If he can't, you get to go home hassle free.

But bending over, gives you no chance. I've fought cops in court twice, and won once. The difference between me and someone who would have bent over, about $360.

Be afraid of cops and take it up the ass all you want. I'll continue to stand up for my rights. :flag:

MotorHead 01-13-2010 06:18 PM

Somebody had a bad bowl of cornflakes this morning :rofl:

Actually I could have asked the cop if I was under arrest and if he said no then I get in my car and drive off.

This particular cop would have placed me under arrest for something stupid you can kinda tell these sorts of things sometimes. Then my car would have been towed and probably got allot more than what I got :cheers:

enkeivette 01-13-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572743960)
Somebody had a bad bowl of cornflakes this morning :rofl:

Actually I could have asked the cop if I was under arrest and if he said no then I get in my car and drive off.

This particular cop would have placed me under arrest for something stupid you can kinda tell these sorts of things sometimes. Then my car would have been towed and probably got allot more than what I got :cheers:

:cheers:

Thanks again for the Demon tuning advice btw. I ended up with 28 HSABs, Lars and a few others scared me away from going smaller. But I wish I had gone with 26s like you. I can only jet it down to 12.5:1 under boost, but I wanted it closer to 11.8.

Now I need to upgrade to an Aeromotive 1000, I'm running out of fuel with the boost referenced mechanical pump.

cardo0 01-13-2010 07:47 PM

U could turn the tubes to flow downstream also.

Originally Posted by eastltd (Post 1572692395)
Has anyone here tried to install a set of injector tubes on their headers?

I see the vendors have BB units for $180. The system looks expensive to put together. If anyone has priced it all out, please post the details.

From what I read in this post it looks like we should start pricing out the system and putting it on like Vettebuyer did.

At least it would look legal and you could talk your way out of a ticket:thumbs:

Who knows, the mod motors might look good with the system on them too.

Pics welcome!:cheers:

The little air injection tubes on my Thorley headers are bent toward the exh runner and would act to restrict exh flow out the pipe.:ack: The original tubes on the stock iron headers are even more restrictive and the little injection tube hangs right into the cyl head exh runner. The idea was to inject more O2 to the hottest areas of the exh gas.

Something to reduce the restriction and maybe reduce a little exh reversion also would be to bend the injection pipes away from the cyl head exh runner - flowing downstream. Maybe produce a tiny bit of flow enhancement too but the air flow from that small pump is almost insignificant compared to what comes out the cyl head (yes i am guess at this:rolleyes:).
I had wanted to do this to my headers but CA changed their smog laws and my '74 became exempt. Woopy, no AIR pump required.:hurray:

Just an idea for those that have to run'm,
cardo0:conehead

Rair Lt1 01-13-2010 09:50 PM

My 72 has the charcoal evap canister, air pump and pcv!

MotorHead 01-13-2010 10:27 PM

cardo0- I'm betting if you read the CA law on emissions yours will be the same as mine, you don't need to get tested but the stuff still has to be there and operational, could be wrong though :cheers:

enkeivette 01-14-2010 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572747234)
cardo0- I'm betting if you read the CA law on emissions yours will be the same as mine, you don't need to get tested but the stuff still has to be there and operational, could be wrong though :cheers:

If you just need them for visual purposes, why not just tack them to your headers? Without even drilling holes in the primary tubes.

Rich's'78 01-14-2010 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572690168)
Mine is/was an 4 speed L48. They did not mention the smog pump to me, :thumbs:

I believe only the L-82s had the pump. My '78 L-48 doesn't.
And we do have a mobile emissions test vehicle around here. They sniff you and if you are really dirty, they can order a complete compliance inspection and tuning to get you close to what the factory levels were, so I wouldn't punch out the cats. They look for stuff like that on "sports cars".

ddbjr 01-14-2010 11:53 AM

Something we put together a while back, Corvette specific:

Here is a listing of Vettes that did use the A.I.R. system:
A.I.R. use on Corvettes:
1966-California-delivered Corvettes, except for the L-72,
1967- All California delivered Corvettes
1968/1969-All Corvettes had the system installed regardless of engine, transmission, or where delivered.
1970-LT1 Corvette (others used the CCS or Controlled Combustion System for emissions control)
1971-LT1 and LS6
1972-All Corvettes except "CKW" and "CKX" coded L-48s.
1973/1975-All Corvettes except 1974 L48 automatic with Federal emissions.
1976- California-certified Corvettes (others went to CCS)
1977-California and "High Altitude" cars
1978/1979 all California cars, "high altitude" and all L-82s used A.I.R. (L-82s were not available in California or "high altitude" areas during these years.)
1980/Current, all Corvettes used A.I.R.

donald

thoyer 01-14-2010 12:43 PM

Get a 71 LS5.

A bit lower compression, but no smog pump, just a charcoal canister and a simple CEC system.

Tom

Rich's'78 01-14-2010 02:57 PM

I forgot to mention, our Canadian emission regs were not as strict as the US Federal regs on new cars until about 1990. My '85 Pontiac had 5L, no pump, a non-controlled QJ and it passed the etest (regs for year of make) just fine in '03 when I sold it. :thumbs:

In comparison, the 5L Monte SS had a pump and controlled QJ.

Raider74 01-14-2010 04:34 PM

ok is the vapour canister on the drivers side under the brake booster? what exactly does it do, i dont even think mine is hooked up because i re did my fuel system, so i might just remove it.

Mike Ward 01-14-2010 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rich's'78 (Post 1572753429)
I forgot to mention, our Canadian emission regs were not as strict as the US Federal regs on new cars until about 1990.

Canadian C3 Corvettes came from the factory with the same emissions equipment as US 49-state cars. There was no separate smog system spec for Canadian or any other export cars.

MotorHead 01-14-2010 05:21 PM

I don't want to get into it over what the specs where. I think he just might be saying that if C02 level was X amount in the states ( I don't even know if that is one of the things they measure but anyway) ours might have been higher until 1990. Doesn't California have separate smog specs. I know a whole bunch of stuff I have around my house is illegal or can cause death there :lol:

I still haven't got a definitive answer as to whether my Canadian 1980 L48 came with a smog pump or whatever those ugly looking things are in the front.

Do I just try and decode the door sticker or emissions sticker, which is probably long gone, I have a hard time seeing the computer screen ? :lol:

turtlevette 01-14-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572691509)
It's the price of the air pump I'm looking at I thought they were fairly expensive and also they are pretty ugly looking.

I paid AFR to match the Vic Jr to the 227 heads they did a bang on job, I ain't changing that.

All the other stuff like you say is probably pretty easy :cheers:

1. chrome the air pump. I think we can get them down here for around $50. The diverter valve and adapter can be expensive but not more than a couple hundred. You can get converters with air pipe inputs so you don't have to mess with the headers

2. JB Weld an EGR valve to the manifold.

It's all very doable, I'd hate to see you give up that beautiful car.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...107/4/image/6/

$86 at autozone

Mike Ward 01-14-2010 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572755228)
I still haven't got a definitive answer as to whether my Canadian 1980 L48 came with a smog pump or whatever those ugly looking things are in the front.

Has your friendly OPP representative given you a shopping list? I'm still amazed that they have someone that knows the exact config of every car ever made to make an accurate on-the-spot assessment, however......

Alternatively, what does the AIM say?

63mako 01-14-2010 08:30 PM

I don't want to get into it over what the specs where. I think he just might be saying that if C02 level was X amount in the states ( I don't even know if that is one of the things they measure but anyway) ours might have been higher until 1990. Doesn't California have separate smog specs. I know a whole bunch of stuff I have around my house is illegal or can cause death there :lol:

Do I just try and decode the door sticker or emissions sticker, which is probably long gone, I have a hard time seeing the computer screen ? :lol:

Check post #89. It looks right.
Your 80 had an A.I.R. or "smog" pump. There are a lot of C3's that didn't though. My 1972 was a CKX engine code. No AIR, only PCV, Charcoal can and TCS solinoid.

Rich's'78 01-14-2010 09:12 PM

:lol:

Maybe you could post a specific question to the Canadian owners of L-48's. My G-body car was made in StTherese Quebec so maybe they had a way of differentiating Cdn low power (305, L48) vs. US spec cars.

MotorHead 01-14-2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Ward (Post 1572757004)
Has your friendly OPP representative given you a shopping list? I'm still amazed that they have someone that knows the exact config of every car ever made to make an accurate on-the-spot assessment, however......

Alternatively, what does the AIM say?

They don't, and it's the Ministry of the Environment, one thing missing it's a $350 fine period, no list, no manuals nothing, look under the car no cat $350 fine it doesn't matter which part or how many are not there. What matters is they usually take the plates and you have to show them that it complies with everything before you get the plated again. The guy was nice enough to say this car is too nice to tow and let me drive it home :thumbs:

MotorHead 01-14-2010 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by 63mako (Post 1572757324)
Check post #89. It looks right.
Your 80 had an A.I.R. or "smog" pump. There are a lot of C3's that didn't though. My 1972 was a CKX engine code. No AIR, only PCV, Charcoal can and TCS solinoid.

I was trying to pretend I didn't see that post. :lol:

One thing that bugs me is the cop gave me fine for non original mufflers he said they were too loud. I told him GM doesn't even make the original mufflers for the car any more, didn't bother him.

It was night and they are painted black they could very well have been original mufflers he didn't have clue. I asked him if there was a decibel level the car had to meet and he said no, it was basically up to him to decide if the car was too loud :rolleyes: