CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   How far back do you have to go for no smog stuff ? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/2500552-how-far-back-do-you-have-to-go-for-no-smog-stuff.html)

vettebuyer6369 01-07-2010 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by zwede (Post 1572671479)
Not getting into the other aspects of the argument, but just as an FYI, all 1968 and later passenger cars are part of the federal clean air act. At the minimum you need to have a PCV system. Depending on model you may be required to have a few other items. In '69 that would not have been much.

The PCV that is present on the car has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of putting the smog pump back on. I'd say 85% of the '69s I see do not have the pump, which came on all '69s, in place.

FB007 01-07-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869 (Post 1572672988)
The PCV that is present on the car has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion of putting the smog pump back on. I'd say 85% of the '69s I see do not have the pump, which came on all '69s, in place.

Putting it back on while inoperable is kinda moot, huh?

FB007 01-07-2010 12:45 PM

Now don't get me wrong. When pumps came out, there was the saying, "The solution to pollution is dillution."
I do not necessarily agree with how the smog situation is handled.
As far as I am concerned, there should just be year model limits on emmisions, with a simple tailpipe test. If you pass, your fine.
THEN, if someone finds a more lucrative way to meet the standards, your compliant. Isn't that what it's all about?
The laws are set up so a HS dropout can look up the year, see the list, and check to see if the items are there. Kinda worthless if they don't function.

toddalin 01-07-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by FB007 (Post 1572673261)
As far as I am concerned, there should just be year model limits on emmisions, with a simple tailpipe test. If you pass, your fine.

There are a lot more emissions than just come out of the tailpipe. My wife won't even go into the portion of the garage where I keep the '64 because of the fuel vapors that vent from the gas cap into the garage.

toddalin 01-07-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869 (Post 1572671278)
Seeing how you posted this comment using my photo, how am I breaking federal law?

My 1969 has no federal smog requirements whatsoever.

I added the complete smog system as a cosmetic component to a restoration thats aimed at stock appearance. Its disabled because I dont want the noisy pulley and leaky manifold air tubes.

Enlighten me on how I'm breaking federal law.

The 1969 model year does have federal smog requirements. They go back to the '68 model year.

Also, "tampering" with pollution control equipment is illegal. "Tampering" is defined by the state.

In some states, "tampering" is regardless of model year. If the factory put it on the car, it is to remain in the car functioning as designed.

Some states note that you can't "tamper" with any emissions control equipment that would result in emissions beyond the 1968 limitation.

FB007 01-07-2010 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by toddalin (Post 1572673416)
There are a lot more emissions than just come out of the tailpipe. My wife won't even go into the portion of the garage where I keep the '64 because of the fuel vapors that vent from the gas cap into the garage.

Agreed. Point taken.

MotorHead 01-07-2010 01:44 PM

The newest of our C3's are almost 30 years old now. They should be patting us on the back for keeping a part of history going. Giving us 1/2 price license plates. The insurance companies know this, they know the cars are taken care of and not driven much my insurance with a classic car insurance company is 1/4 the price as my PT Cruiser :crazy:

The pollution created by a few of us driving our C3's or any other hotrod for that matter on weekends would amount to 1 or 2 tractor trailers running 24/7 on the highway and yet they have these silly laws in place :rolleyes:

FB007 01-07-2010 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572673972)
The newest of our C3's are almost 30 years old now. They should be patting us on the back for keeping a part of history going. Giving us 1/2 price license plates. The insurance companies know this, they know the cars are taken care of and not driven much my insurance with a classic car insurance company is 1/4 the price as my PT Cruiser :crazy:

The pollution created by a few of us driving our C3's or any other hotrod for that matter on weekends would amount to 1 or 2 tractor trailers running 24/7 on the highway and yet they have these silly laws in place :rolleyes:

I understand that, and most of us know that to be true. However, when you start inserting "exceptions," it becomes a giant arguement.
Maybe car haulers , for example, should be exempt because they deliver hybrids, which off set the "contribution."
California, long a car capitol, enjoyed a brisk aftermarket industry for years. Do to the smog laws, the price of older cars has grown exponentially, while the kids don't get to enjoy whaat we did.
Set standards per year model, pass or fail the tailpipe, and as long as they pass, they can modify at will. Autozone could sell cheap analysers by the truckloads. The industry growth would be staggering, and bring much needed $$ back to the economy. My two cents.;)

MotorHead 01-07-2010 02:27 PM

Well one of the silliest laws is the fact my Vette doesn't have to pass any emissions test and yet has to have the pollution equipment on it.

There is still no test if they see all the pollution stuff there. So basically it is a waste of time and my money as it does no good to enforce this law on my 30 year old car anyway.

They open the hood and see everything hooked up correctly, working or not they don't know and they have no test and I am on my way. Of course the law would state that it has to be there and in working order but I know it would just have to pass a visual inspection. Now that is one useless law.

And I don't need to get into the pollution aspect of it either. Go for drive and count how many 30 year old cars you see :cheers:

If they bother me again I'm buying this, I'm gonna put a couple more spacers under the scoop though :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...YENKOCLONE.jpg

iree75 01-07-2010 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by MotorHead (Post 1572674475)
If they bother me again I'm buying this, I'm gonna put a couple more spacers under the scoop though :lol:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...YENKOCLONE.jpg

It would most likely be easier to see around the bug catcher if you did! That is one of those rare 8-71 optioned Yenko's isn't it? :D

MotorHead 01-07-2010 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by iree75 (Post 1572675458)
It would most likely be easier to see around the bug catcher if you did! That is one of those rare 8-71 optioned Yenko's isn't it? :D

Well I think it's high enough already to watch for low bridges, yeah he say something about Yenko in his ad :rolleyes:

DaveL82 01-08-2010 05:39 PM

I have an 80 and for the most part the car looks emission legal. I run a single exhaust on the passenger side using 3 inch pipe and then back into duals. Have the egr on the manifold but not hooked up, air pump for L82 (L48 did not have pump in US) was on but local emissions test don't look anymore but can put back on in 30 minutes, vapor canister is still in fender well, run original dual snorkel, high flow sanderson cast iron headers.

MotorHead 01-08-2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by DaveL82 (Post 1572689292)
I have an 80 and for the most part the car looks emission legal. I run a single exhaust on the passenger side using 3 inch pipe and then back into duals. Have the egr on the manifold but not hooked up, air pump for L82 (L48 did not have pump in US) was on but local emissions test don't look anymore but can put back on in 30 minutes, vapor canister is still in fender well, run original dual snorkel, high flow sanderson cast iron headers.

Wow thanks, I did not know that. I wonder how I can check if mine (Canadian 1980 L48 ) came with that pump. That was one of the expensive and stupid looking things I was worried about.

Now wouldn't that be nice if I didn't have to worry about putting a fake pump on and only have to put hollowed out cats and fake EGR on it :lol:

Peterbuilt 01-08-2010 06:46 PM

You might find the information on the emissions sticker.
On my 74 one side lists 'Manual A I R - EGR' the other side says 'Auto CCS - EGR'.
Why a stick needs AIR and an Automatic does not is beyond me but that's the way is was built.

MotorHead 01-08-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by petes74ttop (Post 1572690053)
You might find the information on the emissions sticker.
On my 74 one side lists 'Manual A I R - EGR' the other side says 'Auto CCS - EGR'.
Why a stick needs AIR and an Automatic does not is beyond me but that's the way is was built.

Mine is/was an 4 speed L48. They did not mention the smog pump to me, they looked at the charcoal canister and saw all the lines cut so that was easy and he said no EGR and he also said I need a line from the valve cover breather to the air cleaner and he said I need cats. He said I could run 2 cats.

I might just do this stuff so I don't get hassled again. I bought a new older charcoal canister with only the 2 ports on it. If they can figure that one out they would need to have a diagram of my emissions stuff with them and I don't think they go that far. :thumbs:

cardo0 01-08-2010 08:01 PM

No EGR? No AIR pump?

Ya know a lot of the smog equipment ain't all that bad for performance - its the gas test that's hard to pass with hi compression and a big cam with lots of overlap.:yesnod: Well running rich doesn't help a lot.:rolleyes:

AIR pump is fairly small hp load and my guess takes less than 1 hp. U would have to find a small dyno to test the hp drag of the pump itself because i doubt u would see the difference while dyno'ing a large inch small block with it and then w/o an AIR pump.:yesnod: Plenty of headers on the shelf sold with AIR fittings too - my Thorleys have them.:D

EGR really only hurts the low end power when vacuum is high enough to open the valve and let exh gas into the intake - should be nothing at WOT with low vacuum.:toetap:

EVC charcoal canister is a controller vacuum leak (as it purges the canister) but the carb has to be tuned for it anyways. What i'm saying is that the carb mixture has to be set rich to allow for the EVC air leak for normal driving otherwise the engine would run too lean. But it shouldn't affect power at all if carb is adjusted correctly. BTW NAPA still sells new replacement canisters - i've bought 2 (please don't ask why:bb).

FYI i have an '80 aluminum intake casting #14014432 for 305"/350" Vette 180/190/230hp with EGR. Brzezinski racing has been modding stock manifolds to flow big like single plane for decades.
Also have 800cfm Qjet #7045218 for '75 Federal 350" Chevy Van (C10) with hot air style choke that can be converted to electric.
I'll the pay shipping for both to Canada for $200.

Just my 2 cents that a hi-po small block shouldn't be any harder to get smog equipment legal than any '74 BB 454. With dual cats and no gas test i would expect your car isn't even difficult. I guess from living here n CA u can't let the smog s give u an attitude.:reddevil

Good luck MotorGuy,
cardo0:lurk:

MotorHead 01-08-2010 08:56 PM

It's the price of the air pump I'm looking at I thought they were fairly expensive and also they are pretty ugly looking.

I paid AFR to match the Vic Jr to the 227 heads they did a bang on job, I ain't changing that.

All the other stuff like you say is probably pretty easy :cheers:

eastltd 01-08-2010 10:06 PM

Has anyone here tried to install a set of injector tubes on their headers?

I see the vendors have BB units for $180. The system looks expensive to put together. If anyone has priced it all out, please post the details.

From what I read in this post it looks like we should start pricing out the system and putting it on like Vettebuyer did.

At least it would look legal and you could talk your way out of a ticket:thumbs:

Who knows, the mod motors might look good with the system on them too.

Pics welcome!:cheers:

enkeivette 01-13-2010 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by FB007 (Post 1572661112)
Try that sometime, and tell us how that went for you.:lol:

Can't be much worse than no longer being able to drive your car, can it jackass?

In the U.S. at least, if you have something to hide, you have a right to hide it. If you bend over for the cop he's not going to go easy on your ass. So you might as well go kicking and screaming.

Mike Ward 01-13-2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by enkeivette (Post 1572742431)
So you might as well go kicking and screaming.

And still not be able to drive your car. :willy: