CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   My 64 Coupe Coke Bottle look Restomod build (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2471962-my-64-coupe-coke-bottle-look-restomod-build.html)

Poorhousenext 01-02-2012 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1579628716)
Jere, I have a trivial question for you that jumps out to me when I noticed it. The only thing on the dash that's not red or sliver colored is the black faceplate for the stereo. Could you not paint it either of those colors to fit in perfectly? And the control box behind the wheel as well? :thumbs:

If you were to be able to look close, you would find quite a few trim items in black.

We never considered painting the radio face plate, and it would be very hard to try and paint. That would leave all the buttons black, looking like a bunch of sore thumbs, plus odds that paint would peel.:D

While the paddles themselves and gear position indicator were left black on purpose, we did paint the rest of the paddle module same color as dash to try and make it blend into steering column. If we had painted the paddles and gear position indicator dash color, fewer people would have notice the car has paddle shifter. Most people didn't even notice that at SEMA show unless we mentioned it to them. You knew when someone did notice them on their on, as they would start looking closer at dash and steering wheel area an if someone was with them, point it out to them.

The black items just provides contrast to break up all the maroon. If you look at all the trim items, including the 67 knobs, the A/C passenger side outlet in below picture, then dash cluster knobs and trim around the four rocker switches you can follow the black trail up to the paddles and gear position indicator on steering wheel.

Then look at picture of console looking in thru the door and you may be able to see the power seat controls, along with seat back lever, seat belts retractors, gearshift knob, and even the bottom of the door panel arm rests are black too, along with the seat rail bolt covers and horn button.

Just in case you are someone else is wondering why I replaced the 64 knobs and switches to 67, its because they have a softer more modern look than any of the other midyear knobs, plus they matched up better with the four black rocker switches mounted in radio bezels in center dash.

Just about plain old contrast coloring.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC300146.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...C0042-XL-1.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC300155.jpg

Even the latch for the storage area behind the seats is black, just so people will know there is storage area there.:D

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC300150.jpg

COPO 01-02-2012 10:48 PM

WOW!!!! I think thats a record in weight.

Poorhousenext 01-02-2012 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by COPO (Post 1579630843)
WOW!!!! I think thats a record in weight.

Think, We both know it is....:rofl:

It's 300 + lbs over the closest other Street Shop C2 chassis.

But it's the closest too 50/50 % Front to Rear weight. Just pure dumb luck done by accident....:rofl:

I was almost able to match the rear corner weight of a tube frame C2 by adding twice as much weight to rear of car as to front and did it by adding creature comforts and a lot of fiberglass...:D

I can open the rear storage compartment door and move 4 lbs of weight to the rear corners. It was built to hold my weight up when cleanning the rear window...:rofl:

Betting my wheels out weigh any others used on a Street Shop build too...:rock:

The 66 is a light weight compared to Lydia. It's sort of like comparing Tiggy's weight to Sophia's...:woohoo:

Kerrmudgeon 01-03-2012 02:55 AM

Thanks for the explanation, but I still find the stereo sticks out being black, at least in my mind!:crazy2:___:lolg:

1coolC2 01-03-2012 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1579583719)
Corner weighed Lydia last week and it looks like she is a WalMart Shopia Loren Lady...:D

Knew we had added a lot of weight to car part in due to all the glass work, C6 Power Seats, 150 lbs of insulation/sound deadener, Billy Boat C6 Fusion NPP exhaust, 6X auto transmission, A/C, etc.

The weight added is around 400 lbs more and than similar C2 Restomod builds with Street Shop chassis. Chassis spring weights were based on average range of 2800 -2950 lbs that most builds weighed in at and have 51%/49% front to rear weight distribution.

By contrast Lydia weighed in at 3279 lbs with only 3 gallons of gas in tank.

Good news is the right had side is a little heavier than left side and the Front to Rear weight distribution is within 0.5 % of being 50/50%.

Bad news is she will have to be re-sprung to compensate for both the change in front to rear weight distribution and addition of around 400 lbs of weight... :( Also Lydia is back in upholstery shop having more weight added to her middle.:( Didn't give upholstery shop time to build center arm rest console with, yes 2 cup holder before taking her to SEMA Show...:D

Good news at least it didn't start out tail heavy like some of the aftermarket C2 chassis's. I would be in big trouble with car being way too tail heavy for a sports car that's not a drag race only car.

LF = 800 Lbs
RF= 826 Lbs

Front Total = 1626 Lbs

LR = 823 Lbs
RR = 830 Lbs

Rear Total = 1653 Lbs

Total Weight = 3279 Lbs

Left Side total = 1623 Lbs
Right side total = 1656 Lbs

Left Front/Right rear = 1630 Lbs

Right Front/Left Rear = 1649 Lbs

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/PC210115.jpg

Jere,

The weight is not that bad considering all of the creature comforts and mods that were made, heck my C6 Z06 tipped the scale at 3160! In comparison, my 67 SRIII framed car came in at 3140 with a 1/2 tank of fuel. As for the weight distro, you will appreciate the rear having a little extra back there when you roll on the throttle, it really works well with the coil-over's and really lets the car settle in and apply some leverage on the tires for both Auto-X and drag racing. The key is getting the coil-over's dialed in for both applications....not to mention, it makes the ride really nice :D

Keep in mind when you Auto-X, your jamming on the brakes as you enter those tight turns and the car will transfer allot of weight to the front, having the right balance on the shock/spring to allow good transfer of that weight back to the rear as you roll on the coal when you exit will really help the "dramatic" tail wagging these short wheel base cars are famous for!! Great job on the car and I really look forward to seeing it in person!!

R/
Jeff

Poorhousenext 01-03-2012 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by 1coolC2 (Post 1579632148)
Jere,

The weight is not that bad considering all of the creature comforts and mods that were made, heck my C6 Z06 tipped the scale at 3160! In comparison, my 67 SRIII framed car came in at 3140 with a 1/2 tank of fuel. As for the weight distro, you will appreciate the rear having a little extra back there when you roll on the throttle, it really works well with the coil-over's and really lets the car settle in and apply some leverage on the tires for both Auto-X and drag racing. The key is getting the coil-over's dialed in for both applications....not to mention, it makes the ride really nice :D

Keep in mind when you Auto-X, your jamming on the brakes as you enter those tight turns and the car will transfer allot of weight to the front, having the right balance on the shock/spring to allow good transfer of that weight back to the rear as you roll on the coal when you exit will really help the "dramatic" tail wagging these short wheel base cars are famous for!! Great job on the car and I really look forward to seeing it in person!!

R/
Jeff

Jeff,

She will get a little more tail heavy when I add a 1/2 to full tank of gas by about 62.5 to 125 lbs, an then there is my 220 lbs too spread around.

Guy who loaned me the corner scales builds round track dirt and asphalt cars, and said about what you said, get the coil springs rating were they are a little on less stiff side, and go up on the sway bar size to compensate in corners, add fuel and he'd have no problem hanging car out in the corners as the extra weight of fuel provide a little more grip to rear tires.

Only problem is I'm at least 220 HP at the crank from being able to stay close to your 67 and can't match up with a 3.55 Vs your 3.90 rear end to help accleration...:D Looks like I will have to stay out of the muscle machine class and run with the Street Machine class whimps at GoodGuy shows....:rofl:

Old Souther rule: If you can't run with the Big Dogs, stay on the poarch and play with the Ladies.:rofl:

COPO 01-03-2012 01:33 PM

I need to come over one weekend and check you out.

Poorhousenext 01-03-2012 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by COPO (Post 1579634666)
I need to come over one weekend and check you out.

Car's in Knoxville and will be on display at a Good Old Guys type Car show call Cabin Fever there on Saturday Jan 14 and Sunday Jan 15. If I know you are any other Forum members is going to be there, then I'll come up to it.

We will be leaving on Wed Jan 18 going to Wichita, Kansas to display car at the Starbird-Devlin Rod & Custom show Jan 20-22. They sent us and invitation after seeing car at SEMA. It's a Charity event now as Startbird sold the rights to still use his name so I agreed to show car there.

I'm still not sold on shop taking car to Birmingham World of Wheels February 10, 11 & 12 because I committed to promoter of Detroit Autorama to display car there on the following weekend Feb Feb 24 - 26 at SEMA show. We are suspose to have a parking spot next to the Great 8 cars. Not sure if that's good or Bad as they are suspose to be the best of the best. Might be hard to get noticed...:ack:

If Trey decides to come to Corvette Expo this year, the promoter has ask Shop to bring car up and display it there and I've agreed to let them.

I may not be with car at Detroit show. Not a fan of shows right now. Will be going to Wichita because I would like to meet Darryl Startbird and have him in picture with car. He's 78 now and will be and entrant rather than sponsor at this year's show.

1coolC2 01-03-2012 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1579633537)
Jeff,

She will get a little more tail heavy when I add a 1/2 to full tank of gas by about 62.5 to 125 lbs, an then there is my 220 lbs too spread around.

Guy who loaned me the corner scales builds round track dirt and asphalt cars, and said about what you said, get the coil springs rating were they are a little on less stiff side, and go up on the sway bar size to compensate in corners, add fuel and he'd have no problem hanging car out in the corners as the extra weight of fuel provide a little more grip to rear tires.

Only problem is I'm at least 220 HP at the crank from being able to stay close to your 67 and can't match up with a 3.55 Vs your 3.90 rear end to help accleration...:D Looks like I will have to stay out of the muscle machine class and run with the Street Machine class whimps at GoodGuy shows....:rofl:

Old Souther rule: If you can't run with the Big Dogs, stay on the poarch and play with the Ladies.:rofl:

I'm sure she will run plenty fast, that LS3 has some bite to it and will have NO problem smoking the sneakers :D The question is...are you willing to be a little rough and smack her around a little bit?? :rofl: Can't wait to read your post after you have had a chance to blast around the auto x :thumbs:

R/
Jeff

COPO 01-03-2012 09:49 PM

We don't go to the EXPO any more after they moved the auction inside. Looking @ your calendar and knowing I have several to build buy the end of the month to get ready for Kissimmee...looks like it could be summer time. Then I realize what happens.... I work 6 days a week, 10-12 hrs a day. Just had my 1st week off for a vacation in over 5 yrs. So I know I'll be @ the shop, can't think of any other place I want to be. But I will see them one day.

SLO VETTE 01-08-2012 06:09 PM

your car is stunning.

really enjoyed looking at the build.

67's 01-09-2012 09:00 AM

Any update pics of the other build, if I remember correctly, you actually started that one first right?

Poorhousenext 01-10-2012 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe (Post 1579685115)
Any update pics of the other build, if I remember correctly, you actually started that one first right?

Tom,

You are correct, the 66 started before the 64. I pulled it from shop that was working on it year and half ago.

Shop that did the work on the 64 started working on getting it finishing it up back in December. No new pictures of it as nothing you can visually see has changed.

67's 01-11-2012 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info, always fun to watch the builds :D

Kerrmudgeon 01-15-2012 09:23 AM

I sent some friends in Knoxville to see it and the show yesterday. They said it looked awesome and sent me a pic of it, tail view.:thumbs:

Poorhousenext 01-15-2012 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1579740403)
I sent some friends in Knoxville to see it and the show yesterday. They said it looked awesome and sent me a pic of it, tail view.:thumbs:

Did you tell them to tell me they liked everything about car except it could do without the "Radio"?:D Someone told me that...:rofl:

Only C2 forum member I know was there is Brent, 2th farmer. He had his 67 on display at show too. It was great to meet him and his family. We are planning on trying to get a cruise set up with as many Forum members in area as possible.

There were quite a few C5 & C6 forum members there that stopped by.

Great thing about Cabin Fever is 99% of the cars there are street driven on a regular basis, not show cars only.

Kerrmudgeon 01-15-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1579742096)
Did you tell them to tell me they liked everything about car except it could do without the "Radio"?:D Someone told me that...:rofl:

Only C2 forum member I know was there is Brent, 2th farmer. He had his 67 on display at show too. It was great to meet him and his family. We are planning on trying to get a cruise set up with as many Forum members in area as possible.

There were quite a few C5 & C6 forum members there that stopped by.

Great thing about Cabin Fever is 99% of the cars there are street driven on a regular basis, not show cars only.

2 car C5 or 6 couple, Kim and Brian, cute blonde. I really wanted a pic of her IN the car, but I guess she was too shy to ask. She's a member of the local Corvette club.:D

Poorhousenext 01-15-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1579742723)
2 car C5 or 6 couple, Kim and Brian, cute blonde. I really wanted a pic of her IN the car, but I guess she was too shy to ask. She's a member of the local Corvette club.:D

I think she might have been afraid to ask when I told her I liked middle age women, 18 to 24, and just the thought of older women gave me chill bumps and made me shiver. :D

Kerrmudgeon 01-15-2012 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1579744293)
I think she might have been afraid to ask when I told her I liked middle age women, 18 to 24, and just the thought of older women gave me chill bumps and made me shiver. :D

Piggie, oink,oink....:lolg: she's about 35 and a d-cup!:yesnod:

RJ1 01-15-2012 05:40 PM

Poor beautiful car!! What did the stock 64 coupe weigh before you started?

Poorhousenext 01-15-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by RJ1 (Post 1579744427)
Poor beautiful car!! What did the stock 64 coupe weigh before you started?

Rj,

Car was a basket case, so I do not know what it's acutal curb weight was.

If the following definition of Curb Weight is how GM deturmined curb weight, "the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., motor oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo", based on different sources, curb wieght of 1964 coupe is either 3125 lbs or 3180 lbs.

Car was corner weighed with about 2 gallons of fuel in it. If fuel tank holds 20 gallons then I'm looking at a total curb weight of around 3392 - 3404 lbs.

Revette 01-15-2012 06:41 PM

Do you have a link to any full pro picture shoot of your car? I've seen bits and pieces of it but I feel I would like to see a complete photo shoot of your Corvette as it it is really a very well done car.

Poorhousenext 01-15-2012 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Revette (Post 1579744977)
Do you have a link to any full pro picture shoot of your car? I've seen bits and pieces of it but I feel I would like to see a complete photo shoot of your Corvette as it it is really a very well done car.

Revette,

There has been one professional photo shoot of car that was done back in November right after SEMA. That shoot was set up without my prior approval. Had I known before hand I would have requested shoot to be postponed until a later date due to the car needing the carpet replaced with carpet in same color family as leather used, along with upholstery shop not having time to get the center console made before car left for SEMA show.

I refused to sign a release for those photos to be published.

My plan is to have professonal photos taken this Spring, for my use, and depending on if the people I pissed off by not letting the first shoot be published there could be some published of car early this summer.

Anyone living within reasonable driving distance of Wichita, KA interested in seeing can see car in person at Starbird-Devlin Custom Car and Hot Rod show this coming weekend.

2th farmer 01-15-2012 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1579746628)
Revette,

There has been one professional photo shoot of car that was done back in November right after SEMA. That shoot was set up without my prior approval. Had I known before hand I would have requested shoot to be postponed until a later date due to the car needing the carpet replaced with carpet in same color family as leather used, along with upholstery shop not having time to get the center console made before car left for SEMA show.

I refused to sign a release for those photos to be published.

My plan is to have professonal photos taken this Spring, for my use, and depending on if the people I pissed off by not letting the first shoot be published there could be some published of car early this summer.

Anyone living within reasonable driving distance of Wichita, KA interested in seeing can see car in person at Starbird-Devlin Custom Car and Hot Rod show this coming weekend.

I was fortunate enough to spend the weekend with this awesome car. Great car and my kind of car guy as an owner. I bet before Summer is over we will get to "linem UP" and bust their AZZ. LOL

BTW got to HEAR the car run this evening as it was being loaded, sounded GREAT. Real throaty, kindof a big block sound. :thumbs:

riggs 74 01-21-2012 09:14 PM

That is one beautiful car and an out standing build. I need to go back and read every thing you have done, I might bend your ear at times and steel some Ideals to help on my LS C3 I am doing at the moment.

Again, what a fantastic car.

Riggs

Donny Brass 02-25-2012 08:29 PM

I got to see this beautiful machine in person today... and all I could say is wow.

the lines flowed in ways that would have made Larry Shinoda say 'wow, I shoulda done a wide body'

Jere was pleasant to talk to, and one hell of a nice guy.

(I need one of those center consoles, Jere)

TheSaint 02-27-2012 08:06 AM

I would love to see my favorite Corvette C2 close up:thumbs:
Not so easy since i live in Norway

And as mentioned here the owner is one really nice person:thumbs:

Poorhousenext 02-27-2012 09:35 PM

Donny,

It was great to meeting you as well as 4 more forum members here and 2 from Pro-Touring forum. Also got to meet 3 people who are friends of members here that were told about car being at show and to check it out.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by.

Roger,

Thanks for the complement.

Kerrmudgeon 02-27-2012 11:00 PM

Question? Did you meet my cute friend Kim and her date Brian in Knoxville?(C5 forum) I told her to check it out. She sent me pics from the show there of your coupe. Oh??? did you already say you weren't there? I forget.....getting old.:lolg:

Poorhousenext 02-28-2012 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1580132671)
Question? Did you meet my cute friend Kim and her date Brian in Knoxville?(C5 forum) I told her to check it out. She sent me pics from the show there of your coupe. Oh??? did you already say you weren't there? I forget.....getting old.:lolg:

I thought you would remember I kidded her about not being Middle aged, 18-24, plus She was a little heavy in the chest too so I didn't pay her much attention....LOL

AutomotiveApex 03-27-2012 02:27 PM

I was lucky enough to see this beautiful car again this passed weekend. Also got to meet the owner himself. Great guy who obviously loves great cars. I think the best part for me was that you could tell this car was driven when there was a bug splattered on the passenger side mirror. I did a little write up on "lydia" if you guys would like to check it out.

http://automotiveapex.wordpress.com/...orvette-lydia/

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/...x/P3221992.jpgd

1coolC2 03-28-2012 08:00 PM

Jere,

It was great finally meeting up with you and seeing the car in person, it finished up really nice :thumbs:

R/
Jeff

Poorhousenext 03-28-2012 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1coolC2 (Post 1580406880)
Jere,

It was great finally meeting up with you and seeing the car in person, it finished up really nice :thumbs:

R/
Jeff

Jeff great meeting up with you also. Hope to see you running the 67 at a few of the Goodyguys shows and at LS Fest.

Here is a picture of you car in Hot Rod & Restoration Magizine along with a couple my builder (Larry B-Rod or Custom) took and posted on his facebook blog. Larry loves the fact you beat on the 67.

http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com/...2012/03/a4.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a2AN74BMsR...0/IMG_0820.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-30K57VpITa...0/IMG_0821.JPG

Can't wait to see the 65 Coupe getting beat on. Still think you should go for the wide body true stock stealth look I decribe to you. It would fool the crap out of people it'd look so stock, even up close....:D

tyoneal 03-29-2012 12:21 AM

This car just Kicks Ass, I don't know what else to say other then I started drooling when I saw it.

Well done.

Ty O'Neal

===================================

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580407463)
Jeff great meeting up with you also. Hope to see you running the 67 at a few of the Goodyguys shows and at LS Fest.

Here is a picture of you car in Hot Rod & Restoration Magizine along with a couple my builder (Larry B-Rod or Custom) took and posted on his facebook blog. Larry loves the fact you beat on the 67.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-a2AN74BMsR...0/IMG_0820.JPG

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-30K57VpITa...0/IMG_0821.JPG

Can't wait to see the 65 Coupe getting beat on. Still think you should go for the wide body true stock stealth look I decribe to you. It would fool the crap out of people it'd look so stock, even up close....:D

1coolC2 03-29-2012 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580407463)

Jere,
Where can I get a copy of the Hot Rod restoration Magazine?? What can I say, Larry is man after my own heart :D
R/
Jeff

Poorhousenext 03-29-2012 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1coolC2 (Post 1580416709)
Jere,
Where can I get a copy of the Hot Rod restoration Magazine?? What can I say, Larry is man after my own heart :D
R/
Jeff

Jeff,

Hot Rod & Restoration Magazine is an on-line magazine. Per story, more photos of the display cars will be posted next week.

http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com/

Since you went to pick up your frame Friday, did Rick Saltrick interviewed you about your car Saturday? If he did, interview(s) will be show on Lokar TV on Fox Sport network in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Power Block/Horsepower TV also came around and took pictures of cars as they are looking for people to be interviewed with their car by Cortney between their shows on Spyke TV on Saturday mornings. They want be interviewing until 4th qtr of this year. Have to go to Nashville, TN for taping of those.

Someone came by and asked if we were going to have car at NSRA Southern Nationals in Knoxville first weekend in May. They were looking for cars and owners to interview there for a TV show on cars that will be sponsored by Subway. Maybe Subway is looking for a Fat Car guy to replace that Fireman is the reason they stopped by and asked....:rofl:

1coolC2 03-30-2012 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580417218)
Jeff,

Hot Rod & Restoration Magazine is an on-line magazine. Per story, more photos of the display cars will be posted next week.

http://www.hotrodandrestoration.com/

Since you went to pick up your frame Friday, did Rick Saltrick interviewed you about your car Saturday? If he did, interview(s) will be show on Lokar TV on Fox Sport network in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Power Block/Horsepower TV also came around and took pictures of cars as they are looking for people to be interviewed with their car by Cortney between their shows on Spyke TV on Saturday mornings. They want be interviewing until 4th qtr of this year. Have to go to Nashville, TN for taping of those.

Someone came by and asked if we were going to have car at NSRA Southern Nationals in Knoxville first weekend in May. They were looking for cars and owners to interview there for a TV show on cars that will be sponsored by Subway. Maybe Subway is looking for a Fat Car guy to replace that Fireman is the reason they stopped by and asked....:rofl:

Jere,

I did not get interviewed, most likely because I was not there on Friday. I'll let you handsome fella's do all of the glamour shots and I will stick to slinging the car around the track :D

R/
Jeff

Poorhousenext 04-12-2012 09:31 PM

Hope I have done last modification to Lydia.

Right before we took her to Hot Rod & Restoration Show. We installed Drive By Wire cruise control.

Was hoping to be able to install the Turn Signal/Cruise stalk without removing the steering column for a real easy plug and play installation, but had to pull the column to fish the wire harness down it.

Wireing it up was mostly plug and play, since the harness had plug desgned to allow for piggy backing it to throttle pedal harness, then picked up speedometer signal from ECU, and attach control module under dash.

Used LS3/7/9 DBW Cruise kit, with Dakota Digital Turn Signal/Curise Stalk for use with Flamming River Column from Spankys Rod Shop, Mena, AR.

http://spankysrodshop.net/images/sto...m%20custom.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/P3280166.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/P4050174.jpg

BLOWNZO6 04-12-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580541122)
Hope I have done last modification to Lydia.

Right before we took her to Hot Rod & Restoration Show. We installed Drive By Wire cruise control.

Was hoping to be able to install the Turn Signal/Cruise stalk without removing the steering column for a real easy plug and play installation, but had to pull the column to fish the wire harness down it.

Wireing it up was mostly plug and play, since the harness had plug desgned to allow for piggy backing it to throttle pedal harness, then picked up speedometer signal from ECU, and attach control module under dash.

Used LS3/7/9 DBW Cruise kit, with Dakota Digital Turn Signal/Curise Stalk for use with Flamming River Column from Spankys Rod Shop, Mena, AR.

Looks good Jere,
Adding this to my list of parts for my car... :thumbs:

riggs 74 04-13-2012 11:26 PM

Looks good, I would like to add cruise control to mine in the future.

How do you like the paddle shifters, does it work well for a racing application, like Auto crossing?

Riggs.

Poorhousenext 04-15-2012 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by riggs 74 (Post 1580550844)
Looks good, I would like to add cruise control to mine in the future.

How do you like the paddle shifters, does it work well for a racing application, like Auto crossing?

Riggs.

Wish I could answer your question, but haven't had car out on the road to see how well paddles will help when auto crossing. While I believe the paddles will help my car when auto crossing since I have a close ratio 6 speed automatic, and the paddles should be of benefit since I have 2nd - 5th gears to choose from that are very similar to that of GM21 close ratio manual trans.

If I had an electronic A4 automatic like a 4L65/70 or 4L80E, I don't think paddles would be of much help since they only have 1st and 2nd gear to choose from to keep engine in it's power band when auto crossing. Lot of courses are set up so max MPH is around 35-40 MPH so a good manual shifter with postive detents would probably be just as good.

Spend the money on a good TQ converted setup for auto crossing first, then add the paddles later on if you think they will help and you will be autocrossing a lot. Another thing to take into cosideration is your rear end gearing. If its tall so your cruise RPM in OD is low, you may only need to lock it in 1st gear on most courses.

TCI 6X automatic
1st gear 2.93
2nd gear 2.23
3rd gear 1.57
4th gear 1.18
5th gear 1.00
6th gear 0.75

M21 close ratio 4 sp manual
1st gear 2.20
2nd gear 1.64
3rd gear 1.28
4th gear 1.00

4L65/70E 4 sp auto
1st gear 3.06
2nd gear 1.62
3rd gear 1.00
4th gear .070

4L80E 4sp auto
1st gear 2.48
2nd gear 1.48
3rd gear 1.00
4th gear .075

What you run into is RPM lost between shifts both in straight line racing or auto crossing. TQ converter stall is very important in making the car fun, and shocking the guys with manuals...:D

TCI 6X (4L80E based)
2.23 -- 76.10% (high) RPM Retention -- 23.90% RPM DROP
1.57 -- 70.40% (high) RPM Retention -- 29.60% RPM DROP
1.18 -- 75.16% (high) RPM Retention -- 24.84% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 84.745% (high) RPM Retention -- 15.255% RPM DROP
0.75 -- 75.00% (high) RPM Retention -- 25.00% RPM DROP

4l65/70E
1.62 -- 52.94% (high) RPM Retention 47.06% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 61.73% (high) RPM Retention 38.27% RPM DROP

4l80/85E
1.48 -- 59.68% (high) RPM Retention 40.32% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 67.57% (high) RPM Retention 32.43% RPM DROP

In all honesty, the Paddles are more for "WOW" factor for the younger crowd when they are looking the car over. I've seen at shows, that when they notice the car has paddles when checking out the interior, they really start to go over the car to see what else has been changed. Same thing can be said for the four, 4.0" inch exhaust tips when they see those too. They help get the attentions of C5 & C6 vette owners as well...LOL

PS: I'm running a light weight billet aluminum dual clutch converter that is designed to flash to around 2500-2700 RPM. Stall of converter is only slightly higher than a stock converter and with it's tight STR (Stall TQ Ratio) and dual clutches there is very little slip. I'm able to do this because of percent of RPM lost between shifts is almost half of what A4 autos are so I don't need a higher stalled converter to flash RPM to try and get engine back in it's power band between shifts that also generate a lot of fluid heating in doing that.

riggs 74 04-16-2012 05:53 AM

Great Info, Thanks for sharing.

Riggs

tyoneal 04-16-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580565600)
Wish I could answer your question, but haven't had car out on the road to see how well paddles will help when auto crossing. While I believe the paddles will help my car when auto crossing since I have a close ratio 6 speed automatic, and the paddles should be of benefit since I have 2nd - 5th gears to choose from that are very similar to that of GM21 close ratio manual trans.

If I had an electronic A4 automatic like a 4L65/70 or 4L80E, I don't think paddles would be of much help since they only have 1st and 2nd gear to choose from to keep engine in it's power band when auto crossing. Lot of courses are set up so max MPH is around 35-40 MPH so a good manual shifter with postive detents would probably be just as good.

Spend the money on a good TQ converted setup for auto crossing first, then add the paddles later on if you think they will help and you will be autocrossing a lot. Another thing to take into cosideration is your rear end gearing. If its tall so your cruise RPM in OD is low, you may only need to lock it in 1st gear on most courses.

TCI 6X automatic
1st gear 2.93
2nd gear 2.23
3rd gear 1.57
4th gear 1.18
5th gear 1.00
6th gear 0.75

M21 close ratio 4 sp manual
1st gear 2.20
2nd gear 1.64
3rd gear 1.28
4th gear 1.00

4L65/70E 4 sp auto
1st gear 3.06
2nd gear 1.62
3rd gear 1.00
4th gear .070

4L80E 4sp auto
1st gear 2.48
2nd gear 1.48
3rd gear 1.00
4th gear .075

What you run into is RPM lost between shifts both in straight line racing or auto crossing. TQ converter stall is very important in making the car fun, and shocking the guys with manuals...:D

TCI 6X (4L80E based)
2.23 -- 76.10% (high) RPM Retention -- 23.90% RPM DROP
1.57 -- 70.40% (high) RPM Retention -- 29.60% RPM DROP
1.18 -- 75.16% (high) RPM Retention -- 24.84% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 84.745% (high) RPM Retention -- 15.255% RPM DROP
0.75 -- 75.00% (high) RPM Retention -- 25.00% RPM DROP

4l65/70E
1.62 -- 52.94% (high) RPM Retention 47.06% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 61.73% (high) RPM Retention 38.27% RPM DROP

4l80/85E
1.48 -- 59.68% (high) RPM Retention 40.32% RPM DROP
1.00 -- 67.57% (high) RPM Retention 32.43% RPM DROP

In all honesty, the Paddles are more for "WOW" factor for the younger crowd when they are looking the car over. I've seen at shows, that when they notice the car has paddles when checking out the interior, they really start to go over the car to see what else has been changed. Same thing can be said for the four, 4.0" inch exhaust tips when they see those too. They help get the attentions of C5 & C6 vette owners as well...LOL

PS: I'm running a light weight billet aluminum dual clutch converter that is designed to flash to around 2500-2700 RPM. Stall of converter is only slightly higher than a stock converter and with it's tight STR (Stall TQ Ratio) and dual clutches there is very little slip. I'm able to do this because of percent of RPM lost between shifts is almost half of what A4 autos are so I don't need a higher stalled converter to flash RPM to try and get engine back in it's power band between shifts that also generate a lot of fluid heating in doing that.

====================================
Your research on this is terrific. Were you able to find this at one web site, or did it require many different sites information to compile?

If it was one site, would you mind listing the address, I would love to have the link to use for further builds.

Thanks a million for the information.

Ty O'Neal

Poorhousenext 04-16-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by tyoneal (Post 1580567897)
====================================
Your research on this is terrific. Were you able to find this at one web site, or did it require many different sites information to compile?

If it was one site, would you mind listing the address, I would love to have the link to use for further builds.

Thanks a million for the information.

Ty O'Neal

Ty,

To my knowledge there is no one single source for the above. What you see above, most came from a thread were I took to task most auto experts take on the GM/Ford 6 Speed automatic and a couple of Transmission builders comments about it not having the the least amount of RPM Drop between shifts when compared to the A4 autos. I didn't know how to prove my point, so I posted Max MPH at 6500 RPM to try and prove my point by the spread between the max speed base on gearing. A drag racer posted the correct way to prove my point.

IF you want to know what the % of RPM lost between shift is, for a manual or auto trans, you divide the gear ratio of the gear you're shifting INTO by the gear you're coming OUT OF.

When you dyno your engine, look at what RPM it makes it max TQ at. Thats the RPM you don't want your RPM to drop below between shifts manual or auto. That why you practice speed shifting a manual transmission, or like Corvette Racing team so they could be competitive with the cars in their classes on road courses that have paddle shift manual transmission went to paddle shifting last year too...LOL

Also lets them keep both hands on the steering wheel when doing all the up and down shifting. :D

If you want to learn about automatic transmissions and TQ converters, just start reading transmission section of any car forum. Takes a lot of searching and reading. Don't forget to read the stickies.

I like LS1tech Forum as they have several Transmission shops and TQ converter shops as sponsors as well as lot of drag racers so you get a lot of takes on subjects.

Pro Touring Forum has the best take on automatics and auto crossing them. Read ManualMatic sticky.

tyoneal 04-17-2012 03:34 AM

Thank you very much for responding. The automatics have come a long way, and I hoping one day that they will behave something like a sequential gear box as far as the shifting is quick and precise,.

This time around I'm trying the T-56 Close Ratio "Dogbox" from Keisler.

It wasn't cheap, but I think my shifts will be a lot faster. (I hope)

Ty

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1580569247)
Ty,

To my knowledge there is no one single source for the above. What you see above, most came from a thread were I took to task most auto experts take on the GM/Ford 6 Speed automatic and a couple of Transmission builders comments about it not having the the least amount of RPM Drop between shifts when compared to the A4 autos. I didn't know how to prove my point, so I posted Max MPH at 6500 RPM to try and prove my point by the spread between the max speed base on gearing. A drag racer posted the correct way to prove my point.

IF you want to know what the % of RPM lost between shift is, for a manual or auto trans, you divide the gear ratio of the gear you're shifting INTO by the gear you're coming OUT OF.

When you dyno your engine, look at what RPM it makes it max TQ at. Thats the RPM you don't want your RPM to drop below between shifts manual or auto. That why you practice speed shifting a manual transmission, or like Corvette Racing team so they could be competitive with the cars in their classes on road courses that have paddle shift manual transmission went to paddle shifting last year too...LOL

Also lets them keep both hands on the steering wheel when doing all the up and down shifting. :D

If you want to learn about automatic transmissions and TQ converters, just start reading transmission section of any car forum. Takes a lot of searching and reading. Don't forget to read the stickies.

I like LS1tech Forum as they have several Transmission shops and TQ converter shops as sponsors as well as lot of drag racers so you get a lot of takes on subjects.

Pro Touring Forum has the best take on automatics and auto crossing them. Read ManualMatic sticky.

COPO 06-19-2012 04:01 PM

Caught in action ....laying down on the job. Getting the bugs off is not as much fun as putting them on there.

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...0135767084.jpg

BLOWNZO6 06-19-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by COPO (Post 1581111003)
Caught in action ....laying down on the job. Getting the bugs off is not as much fun as putting them on there.

Think he finally got the bill and is looking for someone to run him over... :rofl:

Poorhousenext 06-19-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLOWNZO6 (Post 1581111027)
Think he finally got the bill and is looking for someone to run him over... :rofl:

I hoping getting run over will save me from having to pay one bill I've been avoiding.:D

If COPO doesn't get off his butt and crank'er up I guess I'll have to pay up, that is if and when I get tired of laying there. Maybe I should lay behind car so he can't load the trailer until he backs the car over me.:rofl:

Kerrmudgeon 06-19-2012 07:23 PM

Hey!!! are you holding out on us? What are the other two rollers for?:D

you must have a lift??.....easier on the bod.:yesnod:

67's 06-19-2012 09:52 PM

Looks like the shop where Andy works :D :D :D

Any updates on the '66?

Poorhousenext 06-19-2012 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 1581112521)

Hey!!! are you holding out on us? What are the other two rollers for?:D

you must have a lift??.....easier on the bod.:yesnod:

Just two, there are more than that sitting around Street Shop Inc shop. One of them is fixing to be taken across the border into Canada.

I'm cleaning on the car since it's going up to Blooming Gold in St Charles, IL. It will be on display in Street Shop booth. Had a little road grime on it from 280 mile trip over to shop.

PS: I don't have a lift either.

Poorhousenext 06-19-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe (Post 1581113726)
Looks like the shop where Andy works :D :D :D

Any updates on the '66?

The 66 now has exhaust and new top on it. Drove it to Goodguys show in Nashville without a top. Transmission lost it's tune when I lost cooling fans to engine and trans cooler. Shifts into 6th gear at very low MPH.

If I remember correctly, Engine ECM shuts the trans TCM down before it shuts down. If not it causes a problem. When I lost cooling fans, engine went into limp mode and TCM shutdown at same time as ECM. This is something I need to look into. I've been looking for thread a thread on LS1 tech, I think discussed problem when doing a conversion.

BLOWNZ is helping me to get trans tune straightened out. We just have to find time when we can both be there to work on it.

66 & 64 at Hotel in Nashville.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/IMG_1653.jpg

BLOWNZO6 06-20-2012 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Poorhousenext (Post 1581113969)
The 66 now has exhaust and new top on it. Drove it to Goodguys show in Nashville without a top. Transmission lost it's tune when I lost cooling fans to engine and trans cooler. Shifts into 6th gear at very low MPH.

If I remember correctly, Engine ECM shuts the trans TCM down before it shuts down. If not it causes a problem. When I lost cooling fans, engine went into limp mode and TCM shutdown at same time as ECM. This is something I need to look into. I've been looking for thread a thread on LS1 tech, I think discussed problem when doing a conversion.

BLOWNZ is helping me to get trans tune straightened out. We just have to find time when we can both be there to work on it.

66 & 64 at Hotel in Nashville.

Cars look killer...

Sent you a PM about the tuning and timing.

:thumbs:

TheSaint 06-20-2012 09:04 AM

That is two great looking cars :thumbs:

Sent you a email Jere

COPO 06-21-2012 10:58 AM

Did get him a chair ...sitting down on the

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z...0290383253.jpg

65silververt 10-30-2012 04:49 PM

Do you have any pictures of the car outside after completion? I am debating on whether to use charcoal gray with a black stinger or midnight blue metallic with a charcoal stinger.

Thanks

Poorhousenext 10-31-2012 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by 65silververt (Post 1582208152)
Do you have any pictures of the car outside after completion? I am debating on whether to use charcoal gray with a black stinger or midnight blue metallic with a charcoal stinger.

Thanks

I'm not sure my paint is a good choice to try and make a stripe decision from. The paint I used is Pearlized Gunmetal color used on R8 AUDI and it's all over the place depending on light conditions inside or out.

Below are pictures of hood on car outside. Hood has been buffed out. You see depending on how sun hits paint, the paint goes from almost black to shade almost as light as the hood stripe's paint. Then in the third picture it's taken on a blue hue.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/P8050553.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/P8050574.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h.../DSC0039-L.jpg

Here is link to some photos taken by shop.

http://brod.smugmug.com/Other/Corvet...0581&k=9Qxrg3S

Car you may want to look at is Toddlin's 64 Coupe. His paint is another one that shows better in person than in will in pictures too. It gives car a classy look.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima.../DSC_00032.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eima...in/HoodsUp.jpg

65silververt 10-31-2012 12:03 PM

Thanks! Those really help. Paint decisions are so difficult.

67's 10-31-2012 01:17 PM

Any update on the other car?

Poorhousenext 10-31-2012 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tom McCabe (Post 1582213987)
Any update on the other car?

Tom,

The 66 has been sitting since Nashville, Tn Goodguys show. I shorted out a relay and lost power to cooling fans, after driving over from Knoxville, TN in it. Not sure what happened when it overheated, but for some reason transmission programming seems to have gone awry. It started shifting way to early into 6th gear, but will cruise OK, except doesn't want to down shift into 5th or 4th when accelerating, so it lugs engine. Haven't been able to get it checked out. Part of that is due to alternator going out on the 64 at Nashville so had to swap one off the 66 on it.

Just got new one off prototype aluminum billet housing alternator back on the 64 to replace one on it and new 66 alternator I was using on 64 back on the 66 couple of weeks ago:willy:

Problem now is finding someone in my area with any knowledge of 6L80E and tuning software to see if it's programing issue. Computers are not trowing any trouble codes.

When it was running, it was a sweet ride over to Nashville from Knoxville...:D No muffler drone and it's very, very quiet unless you get on it. Then it's very loud to people behind you, but not to you.:D

Fun while it lasted.:D Driving over and at hotel.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...4/IMG_1652.jpg

67's 10-31-2012 09:11 PM

Thanks for the update, hope you get it sorted out soon.

RubyZR1 01-03-2014 06:24 PM

Poorhousenext, just found the link to your thread via cf today.

FWIW, Congratulations on your 64's restomod build. It's an exquisite example of turning a dream into a reality. "Lydia" is simply poetry on wheels! You are to be comended for your efforts; and, thank you for sharing your build and your car with cf.

I wish you many miles of smiles with "Lydia", she's a magnificent looking Corvette

:cheers: from across the pond in Oz!