CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2456302-al-knock-upholstery-compared-to-the-competition.html)

FASTBACK 10-27-2009 10:29 AM

Al Knock upholstery compared to the competition.

I don't know if anyone else has had the opportunity but I have had a chance to recover C1 seats, '62, with an Al Knock cover and a competitor's cover. I first used a competitor's cover. Absolutely appeared at first glance to be no chance of it fitting and after many hours trying and keeping it as warm as possible even with a heat gun to make it fit, they finally tore, both left and right, at the rear corners. Then I sent for an Al Knock cover, so easy in comparison and fit like a glove in about half the time, and they came fully complete with wires already installed. Anyone else have a take on this?

mike coletta 10-27-2009 10:59 AM

There have been lots of threads on the subject of "who has the best stuff". Some folks swear by the "other guys", and some say Al Knoch has the best. Personally, I have had the opportunity to install "all" of the different brands, and find that the Knoch stuff fits better. Dash pads, door panels, seat covers, and tops. The seats for a C1 are tough enough to do, without having to deal with covers that aren't sewn right. Glad you got it done. My vote is Knoch.

Mike Coletta

1snake 10-27-2009 11:24 AM

I've bought covers from CA for the seats in my 60 (vinyl), 64 (vinyl) and 74 (leather) and they all fit perfectly. I just bought some for my 65 as well but haven't put them on yet. I've had issues with AK stuff and quit buying from him years ago when their customer service went in the toilet.

Jim

John McGraw 10-27-2009 11:45 AM

I have been buying from CA for the last couple of years, because Al's price got so high and his responsiveness got so bad. Every set of seat covers I have got from CA fit like a glove, and I don't think that there is a better midyear door panel than theirs after they re-tooled and started making the new ones. That being said, soft tops, and C1 dash pads are something I get only from AK. Both these items are superior to any others on the market.

We just put one of Al's dash pads in a 58 yesterday, after having to scrap a brand X pad. Al's pads ain't perfect by a long shot, but they are way better than anything else. He uses a more rigid foam than the competition that is way easier to trim and sand for a perfect fit.

Regards, John McGraw

aworks 10-27-2009 03:09 PM

Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.

PinkVetteLady 10-27-2009 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by aworks (Post 1571957506)
Last three sets of seat covers I used where CA. 2 midyears and one 69. Fit is perfect. Have just sent them a set of 62 seats and a set of 64 seats. This is the first time I am having them install the covers. I'll see how good they look when they get shipped back. There price to install was much less than anybody I have around here.

Yeah and the 49 dollar special they have going on right now is hard to beat.

Wiscane 10-27-2009 08:48 PM

I am not excited about their door panels.

shemp 10-27-2009 08:54 PM

Just ordered mine from Wilcox after hearing the horror stories about AN. They had a sale also saved $ 62 Shemp :cheers:

VanIsle66 10-27-2009 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Wiscane (Post 1571961559)
I am not excited about their door panels.

Whose door panels????