CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Shell fuel vs Kroger fuel? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2394747-shell-fuel-vs-kroger-fuel.html)

VinnyT 08-06-2009 10:01 AM

Shell fuel vs Kroger fuel?

I have been using Shell premium since I had the car. Would always ping, so I figured knock sensors. Our Kroger has just put in fuel pumps. Since I shop there anyway, I got enough points for an extra $.10/gallon. What the hell. Filled it up with their "premium". Believe it or not, the ping is gone. On the hottest day since I used their fuel, I decided to climb a steep road near me in 4th gear around 45mph. Gave enough gas to lug the motor just before the downshifting point. No ping!

Looks like Kroger gas from now on....

:leaving:

BUGZ 08-06-2009 10:35 AM

That's weird....I guessed it would be the other way around.:eek: Thought Shell had the good V-Power stuff. Wonder who Kroger's buying their fuel from? At least it answers the question about your knock sensor.

kg54trains 08-06-2009 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by VinnyT (Post 1571042548)
I have been using Shell premium since I had the car. Would always ping, so I figured knock sensors. Our Kroger has just put in fuel pumps. Since I shop there anyway, I got enough points for an extra $.10/gallon. What the hell. Filled it up with their "premium". Believe it or not, the ping is gone. On the hottest day since I used their fuel, I decided to climb a steep road near me in 4th gear around 45mph. Gave enough gas to lug the motor just before the downshifting point. No ping!

Looks like Kroger gas from now on....

:leaving:

Some "States" do control the max Octane that can be sold in a state. Shell 93 octane is considered a top tier product so a ping from using the fuel is odd. Kroger's chain of stores maybe be also using a top tier premuim gas and without you knowing their source it is differicult to determine grades, but Shell has a high repre with quality of product.

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:05 AM

I agree that Top Tier Gas is the biggest scam ever and you just proved it. Everyone is just wasting their money paying for "better" gas.

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:11 AM

Oh you think that his one isolated test proves anything. I am a scientist and I know that you have to have a larger sample size than 1 to show any correlation. Give me a break

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:14 AM

In my opinion if you paid this much to drive a high performance car then you should be willing to pay the extra $1 per tank to get the best gas. Enjoy the extra $35 in your pocket at the end of this year because I will be enjoying my car performing at its best.

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:17 AM

OK so show me any evidence that your car with the magic top tier gas is performing any better than his car with the "cheap gas". Where is the evidence? Show me one study that has any evidence and I will change my mind.

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:18 AM

I don't care about top tier gas but whatever you do don't buy Citgo gas. We all know where it comes from.

The Panther 08-06-2009 11:19 AM

and scene.

Patches 08-06-2009 11:21 AM

I have found the same thing here in Indiana. I generally use Kroger gas in my wife's C5 and my 08 Hummer H3 and neither pings with that gas. However, when we have to buy gas elsewhere for her car, it has pinged on occassion. I have never had a problem with Kroger gas in 3.5 years so I'm sticking with it and enjoying the cost savings. :yesnod::thumbs:

clayton1 08-06-2009 11:22 AM

Hahah, I thought you were having an argument with yourself!!

Rollin 08-06-2009 11:23 AM

For what it's worth, there was an article not long ago that stated with the sharing of pipelines to get fuel to storage it is hard to tell if you are getting 100% one brand gas over another, and that places like Fry’s get there fuel from different sources all the time. They also mentioned with all the Federal regulations on additives there is becoming less and less differences in any brand. – I just found it interesting and thought I’d share.

VinnyT 08-06-2009 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Patches (Post 1571043437)
I have found the same thing here in Indiana. I generally use Kroger gas in my wife's C5 and my 08 Hummer H3 and neither pings with that gas. However, when we have to buy gas elsewhere for her car, it has pinged on occassion. I have never had a problem with Kroger gas in 3.5 years so I'm sticking with it and enjoying the cost savings. :yesnod::thumbs:

:thumbs:

Glad to hear another "success" story with this gas.

:cheers:

tlc0706 08-06-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by clayton1 (Post 1571043454)
Hahah, I thought you were having an argument with yourself!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Me too....took me a second to figure it out.....:D:D

AU N EGL 08-06-2009 01:48 PM

Low cost HIGH volume fuel is the freshest.

I use Sheetz or Hess.

Burnt C6 08-06-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043263)
I agree that Top Tier Gas is the biggest scam ever and you just proved it. Everyone is just wasting their money paying for "better" gas.

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043335)
Oh you think that his one isolated test proves anything. I am a scientist and I know that you have to have a larger sample size than 1 to show any correlation. Give me a break

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043364)
In my opinion if you paid this much to drive a high performance car then you should be willing to pay the extra $1 per tank to get the best gas. Enjoy the extra $35 in your pocket at the end of this year because I will be enjoying my car performing at its best.

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043404)
OK so show me any evidence that your car with the magic top tier gas is performing any better than his car with the "cheap gas". Where is the evidence? Show me one study that has any evidence and I will change my mind.

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043412)
I don't care about top tier gas but whatever you do don't buy Citgo gas. We all know where it comes from.

Originally Posted by pharma-c6 (Post 1571043415)
and scene.

Am I missing something here like the post in between these? I don’t have anyone on my ignore list. Or were you just upping your post count?

Vetteman Jack 08-06-2009 03:11 PM

Hey, if the Kroger gas works and no ping, then by all means use it. Why pay for Shell gas if it makes the car ping? No telling where Kroger gets their gas from, but it must be a decent source.

jdsaengine 08-06-2009 03:44 PM

Here in central Indiana used Meijer gas first couple of months we owned the car. Gas guage quit. Switched to Shell, and for last 2yr. guage works, no ping, no problems. And always use BP or other top gas rather than the discounts when traveling.

GRUNIE 08-06-2009 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Burnt C6 (Post 1571045321)
Am I missing something here like the post in between these? I don’t have anyone on my ignore list. Or were you just upping your post count?

I'm with you :willy:

The Panther 08-06-2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by GRUNIE (Post 1571047747)
I'm with you :willy:

Me too :eek: