CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Power Door Locks don't work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2386534-power-door-locks-dont-work.html)

PPP Big Dog 07-26-2009 10:17 PM

Power Door Locks don't work

On my 1987 vette, the power door lock switches do not work.. I Checked the fuses and relays in the fuse box. Any idea what else it could be?

PPP Big Dog 07-27-2009 03:55 PM

Any help?

ddahlgren 07-27-2009 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by PPP Big Dog (Post 1570925322)
On my 1987 vette, the power door lock switches do not work.. I Checked the fuses and relays in the fuse box. Any idea what else it could be?

On my 91 I have secondary fuse blocks under the passenger side of the dash and had a blown fuse there when mine did not work not sure if helpful to you. You might also poke arond and see if anyone installed an aftermarket alarm system that caused dozens of things to not work until we had the 'alarm exorcisim' LOL..

PPP Big Dog 07-27-2009 09:10 PM

wow, i just found 2 small I mean very small toggle switchs under the driver side down by the brakes. I flipped one and I do not see that it does anything. it is a 2 way switch. the other switch is a 3 way toggle and in one position the car will not start.

i think i will keep that one a secret so as my 14 year old comes of driving age and we are away for the weekend, i can be SURE that he can not crank the vette.

AGENT 86 07-28-2009 12:35 AM

http://members.shaw.ca/agent86/Power%20Door%20Locks.pdf

PPP Big Dog 07-28-2009 02:21 PM

Thanks 86

scheidecker 08-30-2009 02:16 AM

Hi 86,

I could not find the power locks doc. I am having issues with my 92 power lock switches on the door. Thanks for the help.

AGENT 86 08-30-2009 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by scheidecker (Post 1571317108)
Hi 86,

I could not find the power locks doc. I am having issues with my 92 power lock switches on the door. Thanks for the help.

Reloaded the page, keep in mind it's from the 86 FSM.

samsonb 11-20-2009 02:14 PM

On my 89, I had the door panels off for a year. I went to put the door panels back on and noticed both power door locks didn't work. The switches were good because they moved the windows.

I played with it for 2 hours and couldn't get them to do anything. I read Agent 86's pdf file and got a test light on the Orange/black wire to the negative battery post, and the test light lite up. So, I put the switch back in, and now both switches are locking/unlocking the door.

I have no idea what changed from 2 hours ago, but now they both appear to be working.

engle1147 11-20-2009 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by joshwilson3 (Post 1572189039)
On my 89, I had the door panels off for a year. I went to put the door panels back on and noticed both power door locks didn't work. The switches were good because they moved the windows.

I played with it for 2 hours and couldn't get them to do anything. I read Agent 86's pdf file and got a test light on the Orange/black wire to the negative battery post, and the test light lite up. So, I put the switch back in, and now both switches are locking/unlocking the door.

I have no idea what changed from 2 hours ago, but now they both appear to be working.

I've had problems with those over the years. The connector sockets on the swithes were most likely the problem since they are not really sealed from the elements so corrosion creeps in at the connections. Reseating the harness connectors should get them going again for awhile.

:thumbs:

samsonb 11-20-2009 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by engle1147 (Post 1572189361)
I've had problems with those over the years. The connector sockets on the swithes were most likely the problem since they are not really sealed from the elements so corrosion creeps in at the connections. Reseating the harness connectors should get them going again for awhile.

I'm not too sure as both didn't work. I cleaned the contacts on the switches. And I had spent 2 hours plugging and unplugging the door lock switches, and swapping them back and forth. And both still didn't work. I even tried using the power window switches, and they didn't do anything.

I went inside and did some searches and came across this thread. So, I grabbed my test light, and it lite up on the Orange/black wire. So, I connected both switches back up and they both started working at the same time.

So, I think it was something else going on since both didn't work at the same time, then all of a sudden both started working again.

Would that theft deterant have anything to do with it? I think I read that if the theft deterant goes bad, it shouldn't affect the door lock switches?

All I've got left to do is get another mirror toggle switch. As my old one was failing on the "up" position. I drilled a hole to clean the inside and I must of drilled in the wrong place as the toggle switch didn't do anything the next time I plugged it up. Bought another one from someone hear, and it doesn't do anything. So, I'm guessing I either got a bad switch, or something is going on like with the power door locks.

engle1147 11-21-2009 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by joshwilson3 (Post 1572193282)
I'm not too sure as both didn't work. I cleaned the contacts on the switches. And I had spent 2 hours plugging and unplugging the door lock switches, and swapping them back and forth. And both still didn't work. I even tried using the power window switches, and they didn't do anything.

I went inside and did some searches and came across this thread. So, I grabbed my test light, and it lite up on the Orange/black wire. So, I connected both switches back up and they both started working at the same time.

So, I think it was something else going on since both didn't work at the same time, then all of a sudden both started working again.

Would that theft deterant have anything to do with it? I think I read that if the theft deterant goes bad, it shouldn't affect the door lock switches?

All I've got left to do is get another mirror toggle switch. As my old one was failing on the "up" position. I drilled a hole to clean the inside and I must of drilled in the wrong place as the toggle switch didn't do anything the next time I plugged it up. Bought another one from someone hear, and it doesn't do anything. So, I'm guessing I either got a bad switch, or something is going on like with the power door locks.

Those are momentary DPDT switches in there if you have problems with one of the switches both can/will act up. Do not attempt to clean the contacts inside the switches themselves....waste of time and you'll damage the plastic housing...get a new ones instead - clean the harness connections before installing them. Most likely only the drivers' side is culprit since it gets the most use/abuse.

samsonb 11-21-2009 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by engle1147 (Post 1572196787)
Those are momentary DPDT switches in there if you have problems with one of the switches both can/will act up. Do not attempt to clean the contacts inside the switches themselves....waste of time and you'll damage the plastic housing...get a new ones instead - clean the harness connections before installing them. Most likely only the drivers' side is culprit since it gets the most use/abuse.

Oh, didn't know one side affected the other. The part I cleaned was the brass prongs that you plug into the white connector. I got to thinking about it. I might of only had one plugged up at a time, so that probably was it then. Haha.

I need to get another one anyways, or at least the bezel as when I had the driver plugged up. I shut the door and it broke the mounting pieces of the bezel on the switch when the door hit it to the door sill. I have the door panels off so the wires were dangling.

By the way, what could cause the mirror toggle switch not to work? Is it simply either the toggle switch is bad or the selector switch? Or the mirrors aren't plugged up? Is that the only things to look at, as the toggle switch I just bought doesn't do anything. I'm gonna try to bypass the selector switch with two paper clips to see if that does anything.

odecom5 11-21-2009 03:10 PM

I have a similar problem. My power lock BUTTONS work, and they even make the locking noise, but the locking mechanism doesn't work. I am taking apart the door panel this weekend, will let you know what I find!

engle1147 11-21-2009 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by odecom5 (Post 1572198186)
I have a similar problem. My power lock BUTTONS work, and they even make the locking noise, but the locking mechanism doesn't work. I am taking apart the door panel this weekend, will let you know what I find!

The actuator rod probably came off the door lock's armature or the door lock solenoid....I've had both happen... if you can push the door lock shut manually and the door locks the the problem is not at the "lock" so look to the solenoid for issues. Below is a link for a quick fix for busted plastic clips on the door lock solenoid rod.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...actuators.html

samsonb 11-30-2009 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by engle1147 (Post 1572198318)
The actuator rod probably came off the door lock's armature or the door lock solenoid....I've had both happen... if you can push the door lock shut manually and the door locks the the problem is not at the "lock" so look to the solenoid for issues. Below is a link for a quick fix for busted plastic clips on the door lock solenoid rod.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...actuators.html

I believe they sell those clips at Autozone in the Help section. If not, I'm sure you can still get them from the dealer.