CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Coupe vs. Convertible!?!? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2340036-coupe-vs-convertible.html)

sfalkowitz 05-28-2009 09:56 PM

Coupe vs. Convertible!?!?

I am a 24 year old med student waiting for the day when I can afford my dream car...QUESTION: Which is better? == VERT vs. COUPE...Also, in the coupe, do you actually get a real open air experience when you take the top off?? Thanks for your replies...Hope to be saluting all of you from the road someday soon :cheers:

SilverScorp 05-28-2009 10:03 PM

Either one is fine, I think the plan is to get a Corvette. I have a coupe and with the top off it's pretty much open air. I also like the fact that it can be a hardtop at any given moment with no wear and tear like the cloth tops on verts. :cheers:

laconiajack 05-28-2009 10:05 PM

I have a coupe and find the wind turbulence unbearable at any speed with the roof panel removed, so I no longer ever remove it.

RogerC6 05-28-2009 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScorp (Post 1570248794)
Either one is fine, I think the plan is to get a Corvette. I have a coupe and with the top off it's pretty much open air. I also like the fact that it can be a hardtop at any given moment with no wear and tear like the cloth tops on verts. :cheers:

:iagree:

VettedCandidate 05-28-2009 10:07 PM

S e a r c h i s y o u r f r i e n d .
This is a topic discussed often...please don't make us go thru this again!

KenHorse 05-28-2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1570248834)
I have a coupe and find the wind turbulence unbearable at any speed with the roof panel removed, so I no longer ever remove it.

Hasn't been my experience at all. Sure there is some turbulence but it is minimal IMHO, even at speeds > 60

spinalator 05-28-2009 10:10 PM

I've had nothing but Verts, currently on #5 now. Yes there is turbulance with the top down, but that's what the open air experience is all about...

marc2005c6 05-28-2009 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by SilverScorp (Post 1570248794)

I agree 100%

Plus. I MAY BE WRONG, but I think that the convertible adds a little bit of weight as well?

Plus with the removable Targa top, it is a pretty much a convertible with the coupe sleek lines. In my own opinion, the coupe is 100x sexier.

Also, if you remove the top and have the windows down you get pretty much a full convertible experience. Plus you have covered storage behind you. It is light weight and easy to put on and off.

I would definitely be +1 for coupe.

VettedCandidate 05-28-2009 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by laconiajack (Post 1570248834)

This tells you everything...the vert is quieter than the coupe in all situations...and it looks better. You can even use this avatar if you do get a vert!
http://i407.photobucket.com/albums/p...tGROUPcopy.jpg

fyreline 05-28-2009 10:13 PM

The reason they offer both coupe and convertible versions of the Corvette is because each offers its own unique experience. Both are excellent. I prefer the convertible myself, I've had many Corvettes and all have been convertibles. A coupe with the top off is not even close to the convertible experience, and certainly not (as some say) the "best of both worlds". It's either a convertible, or it isn't - and all the good or bad that goes with that. If you like open-air motoring, get the convertible. If that isn't high on your list of priorities, get the coupe. You can't go wrong either way.

VettedCandidate 05-28-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by fyreline (Post 1570248974)
The reason they offer both coupe and convertible versions of the Corvette is because each offers its own unique experience. Both are excellent. I prefer the convertible myself, I've had many Corvettes and all have been convertibles. A coupe with the top off is not even close to the convertible experience, and certainly not (as some say) the "best of both worlds". It's either a convertible, or it isn't - and all the good or bad that goes with that. If you like open-air motoring, get the convertible. If that isn't high on your list of priorities, get the coupe. You can't go wrong either way.

I have to disagree. The coupe is really loud with the top on or off. TEST DRIVE BOTH with tops on and off. You will see what I mean.

mpuzach 05-28-2009 10:32 PM

I just drove home from work (20 miles on the freeway) topless in my coupe and it was great. I have no regrets for having bought a coupe as my first Corvette although sometimes I feel like I'm the world's only "car guy" who has never owned a convertible.

sfalkowitz 05-28-2009 10:34 PM

much apologies for the redundancy of the thread...i have only driven 1 convertible and it was fantastic but i must say the lines of the coupe + the option of having the open air + ~$10,000 less is a draw at least for now...but we will see how i feel once i actually make a salary!!! thanks guys!! :flag:

marc2005c6 05-28-2009 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mpuzach (Post 1570249235)
I just drove home from work (20 miles on the freeway) topless in my coupe and it was great. I have no regrets for having bought a coupe as my first Corvette although sometimes I feel like I'm the world's only "car guy" who has never owned a convertible.

Couldnt have said it better.

Haha!

I just got mine last friday and i Love it. I do agree it gets kind of loud, I have to really "Hide" if the phone rings and the top is down!

<3 corvette regardless :)

johnodrake 05-28-2009 10:40 PM

I have had 2 T Tops, One Targa and One Vert Corvette - loved them all.

If you want to track the car - get a coupe.

AORoads 05-28-2009 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by marc2005c6 (Post 1570248933)
I agree 100%

Plus. I MAY BE WRONG, but I think that the convertible adds a little bit of weight as well?

Plus with the removable Targa top, it is a pretty much a convertible with the coupe sleek lines. In my own opinion, the coupe is 100x sexier.

Also, if you remove the top and have the windows down you get pretty much a full convertible experience. Plus you have covered storage behind you. It is light weight and easy to put on and off.

I would definitely be +1 for coupe.

You are wrong, but I'll be gentle.:rofl: It adds 26 lbs. because it was designed in to be a convertible first.

As to coupe or convertible, having owned 2 Corvette coupes of older vintage, I chose a convertible. There is a very, very large difference and I enjoy this more. But it is a choice that you will have to make. Just remember: a Corvette coupe is not a bad choice, just a different one. :lol:

SilverScorp 05-28-2009 10:48 PM

I have never been bothered buy any perceived turbulance, but some of my clubmembers have mentioned it so it must be person-specific.

I do want to add that Coupes have many options for the roof.

1.) solid roof = vert with top up but quieter
2.) Transparent roof (raining or night, or cold but can still see the sky)
3.) No roof

When the top is up on a vert, you see nothing. I can get sun in my car when its 35 degrees outside and thats a bonus IMO. But yeah, people are passionate about their options. :lol:

marc2005c6 05-28-2009 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1570249451)
You are wrong, but I'll be gentle.:rofl: It adds 26 lbs. because it was designed in to be a convertible first.

As to coupe or convertible, having owned 2 Corvette coupes of older vintage, I chose a convertible. There is a very, very large difference and I enjoy this more. But it is a choice that you will have to make. Just remember: a Corvette coupe is not a bad choice, just a different one. :lol:

Gentle is nice... :smash:
haha! Have always been into vettes, never been so educated about them though!

Thanks for the info.

laconiajack 05-28-2009 11:00 PM

The coupe does offer twice the storage room as the convertible and is perhaps more rigid (in spite of claims to the contrary) than the convertible, and offers more security, lower maintenance and less leakage problems than the convertible. But lets face it, the convertible is a special vehicle that, although it costs considerably more than the coupe, is great if you live in an area that has warm, balmy nights. Where I live in New England the nights are usually too cool to really enjoy top down driving. Another consideration is that many women folk don't appreciate having their hair blown about so they look unkept.

1971 LS5 DROPTOP 05-28-2009 11:02 PM

I did a poll with an office full of women and it was the convertible all the way. Something about dropping that top that turns them on. :yesnod: :thumbs: :cheers: :cool: