CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Corvette won't start, but battery OK ! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2337213-corvette-wont-start-but-battery-ok.html)

sunsetdaytona 05-25-2009 06:11 PM

Corvette won't start, but battery OK !

Have '05 corvette. Went to start it the other day and acted like battery was dead. But then the horn started beeping so I unhooked battery cable to stop it. When I put cable back on, the horn beeping starts again, but all else on battery power won't work. Can't open doors, etc. Motor won't crank at all. Anyone else had this problem?:bs:rolleyes:

talon90 05-25-2009 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by sunsetdaytona (Post 1570207118)
Have '05 corvette. Went to start it the other day and acted like battery was dead. But then the horn started beeping so I unhooked battery cable to stop it. When I put cable back on, the horn beeping starts again, but all else on battery power won't work. Can't open doors, etc. Motor won't crank at all. Anyone else had this problem?:bs:rolleyes:

Describe what you mean by "acted like battery was dead" and tell us why you think that battery is ok.

Having a little power in the batter (less than 11.3 volts) may power the lights, open the doors and honk the horn, but won't be enough power to start the car.

corvettezman 05-25-2009 06:56 PM

When my body control module went south, my car acted in the same fashion, however I smelled something burning in mine , and the car acted like it was possessed, the windows started rolling up and down on their own, trunk opened by itself, horn started blowing, etc.... and the car would not start either.:ack:

VET4LES 05-25-2009 06:56 PM

Sounds like it's time to replace your battery. My original died in 22 months. :cheers:

Stainless Addiction 05-25-2009 07:16 PM

If it is an automatic check to make sure it's in park all the way. That's what my car did once.

sunsetdaytona 05-25-2009 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1570207424)
Describe what you mean by "acted like battery was dead" and tell us why you think that battery is ok.

Having a little power in the batter (less than 11.3 volts) may power the lights, open the doors and honk the horn, but won't be enough power to start the car.

when I tried to start my vette, it didn't do anything, so at first I thought battery was dead. Then the info screen said that it did not detect the fob and I noticed the check engine light was on. Fob message went off, but car still dead. Then when I pushed the start button again, I get a faint beep, beep, beep, continously but all electrical system is not working. I unhooked the battery cable to stop the horn beeping. After a while, I put cable back on, horn sounded real loud, a constant blare of the horn. Door still wouldn't open, I had to open it manually. When I pushed the start button again, same thing, a slight constant beep, beep, beep of the horn. I did change the battery in the fob, but that wasn't the problem. I assume that since the horn honked real loud when I first hooked the battery cable back on, that the battery was OK. Could it just be the battery?

cclive 05-25-2009 07:19 PM

Those symptoms are indicative of a bad or low battery. Just honking the horn does not mean that the battery is OK. With a meter, check the voltage at the battery when all this is happening, and if it is less than about 11 volts, the problems are being caused by the low voltage.....meaning the battery needs to be charged, or if it won't hold a charge, then replaced.:thumbs:

Low voltage can cause all the electronics to go crazy....fobs, DIC, doors, trunk, etc,etc.

sunsetdaytona 05-25-2009 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by corvettezman (Post 1570207533)
When my body control module went south, my car acted in the same fashion, however I smelled something burning in mine , and the car acted like it was possessed, the windows started rolling up and down on their own, trunk opened by itself, horn started blowing, etc.... and the car would not start either.:ack:

mine hasn't done wierd things like that, just all electrical is dead, doors won't open, but when I hook the battery cable back up, I get a constant wimby beep, beep, beep from the horn that won't stop until I unhook the battery cable again.

talon90 05-25-2009 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by sunsetdaytona (Post 1570207733)
when I tried to start my vette, it didn't do anything, so at first I thought battery was dead. Then the info screen said that it did not detect the fob and I noticed the check engine light was on. Fob message went off, but car still dead. Then when I pushed the start button again, I get a faint beep, beep, beep, continously but all electrical system is not working. I unhooked the battery cable to stop the horn beeping. After a while, I put cable back on, horn sounded real loud, a constant blare of the horn. Door still wouldn't open, I had to open it manually. When I pushed the start button again, same thing, a slight constant beep, beep, beep of the horn. I did change the battery in the fob, but that wasn't the problem. I assume that since the horn honked real loud when I first hooked the battery cable back on, that the battery was OK. Could it just be the battery?

To me, and reading your description, you likely need a new car battery.

corvettezman 05-25-2009 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by sunsetdaytona (Post 1570207733)

You are more than likely describing a dead battery issue.

cclive 05-25-2009 07:41 PM

Put jumper cables on it with the other car running and I'll bet all this goes away...:thumbs:

*FAÇADE* 05-25-2009 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1570207760)
Those symptoms are indicative of a bad or low battery. Just honking the horn does not mean that the battery is OK. With a meter, check the voltage at the battery when all this is happening, and if it is less than about 11 volts, the problems are being caused by the low voltage.....meaning the battery needs to be charged, or if it won't hold a charge, then replaced.:thumbs:

Low voltage can cause all the electronics to go crazy....fobs, DIC, doors, trunk, etc,etc.

:iagree: Sounds like it might be time for a new battery! :thumbs:

danl72 05-25-2009 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by talon90 (Post 1570207424)

:iagree: