CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   TransGo 6L80E transmission research (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2332527-transgo-6l80e-transmission-research.html)

LS WON 05-27-2009 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by mark@TGO (Post 1570223553)
When a new trans is released we generally start hearing symptoms & failures within the first year or so. When it's a performance car we hear it even sooner. As soon as the car gets out of warranty the phone rings off the hook.

Mark

Does it appear that the A-6 is going to have more problems than the A-4 4L60E transmission?

Cobra4B 05-27-2009 09:15 AM

Subscribed :cheers:

HP JNKEY 05-27-2009 10:51 AM

I get a flare up between 2nd and 3rd.
How do I fix this problem?

mark@TGO 05-27-2009 01:23 PM

A6 vs 4L60E Problems

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1570223721)
Does it appear that the A-6 is going to have more problems than the A-4 4L60E transmission?

We will not know this until the project is complete.

Most of the transmissions projects that we have done we almost always find more problems than the main complaint that owners & shops are seeing. Time will tell...

Mark

mark@TGO 05-27-2009 01:25 PM

flare up

Originally Posted by Finelee (Post 1570226640)
I get a flare up between 2nd and 3rd.
How do I fix this problem?

That is an excellent question. I see your location is not to far from us. Would you like us to work on your trans?

You can contribute to the research of these complaints.

Mark

LS WON 05-27-2009 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mark@TGO (Post 1570228561)

Most of the transmissions projects that we have done we almost always find more problems than the main complaint that owners & shops are seeing. Time will tell...

Mark

:thumbs:I would be interested in your final analysis:cheers:

mark@TGO 05-27-2009 02:55 PM

6l80E

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1570229163)
:thumbs:I would be interested in your final analysis:cheers:

The final analysis will be in a TransGo box!!!

pmj341 05-27-2009 03:01 PM

:lol:

Originally Posted by mark@TGO (Post 1570229732)
The final analysis will be in a TransGo box!!!

I would try one!!

EdwardETraylorIII 05-27-2009 03:05 PM

Welcome! You are a site for sore eyes on this site!

I used all TransGo parts back in my '87 GN days to rebuild all my trannies!:thumbs:

JayplaySS2 05-27-2009 06:22 PM

I'm not sure if you guys read my post #48?

I would venture to say I currently have one of the highest milage A6's with 41,600 right now. I am a H/C/Bolt-on car around 460-480rwhp. I have no issues what so ever 95% of the time.

Before I had Chuck COW (Corvettes of Westchester) tune the A6 TCM (there is no vacuum shift anymore, it's all electronic and it has it's own computer) I had 4-5 different issues. Now with his A6 TCM tune, the only issue, when cold and less than 5% of the time, it will flare a bit on the 1-2 shift when cold. It will do it once, that's it.

I could'nt be more pleased with this trans. Let it warm up before you hammer it and you would be surprised how well they will perform.

I do believe most of the issues in this trans are in the stock GM tune from the factory. IMHO. My A6 was crap before the tune. I would'nt even have kept the car if it was going to be that way (stock tune).

Now when TransGo has 700rwhp version available, sign me up.

youout 05-27-2009 11:19 PM

tcm tunned

I had my 2007 A6 professionally tuned using HP tuning software. up and down shifts were adjusted along with pressures. i have had engine modifications including a comp cam. the trany now is completely different than stock and i do not see any shifting problems.

note: i do not hammer the throttle until i have oil temp up to 140 degrees which also gives the trany time to warm up. there are no delays in shifting in any of the gears. i can only hope this A6 stays this way.

LS WON 05-28-2009 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by mark@TGO (Post 1570228561)

Mark

:iagree: Time will tell just as it did wit the 4L60E as it had more of a track record and test of time naturally. The A-6 is in court now.:crazy:

Chuck CoW 05-28-2009 10:54 AM

I've always LOVED TRANS GO Products.

I've always LOVED TRANS GO Products.

Between my laptop and the TRANS GO techs, We're gonna be able to make beautiful music together!

I'm in!
Chuck CoW

StoneOakDan 06-08-2009 11:25 AM

Mark,

A few of us are having the same problem with the Paddle shift not shifting under WOT. I have a 08 A6 Cont. with 5,000 miles and when I try to paddle shift at 5900-6000 rpm under WOT, it hits the rev. limiter and shifts after the rev's have dropped down. Trans works fine in auto and the paddle shift works okay under normal driving. Got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan Dement

mark@TGO 06-08-2009 11:25 PM

WOT shifts

Originally Posted by StoneOakDan (Post 1570372217)
Mark,

A few of us are having the same problem with the Paddle shift not shifting under WOT. I have a 08 A6 Cont. with 5,000 miles and when I try to paddle shift at 5900-6000 rpm under WOT, it hits the rev. limiter and shifts after the rev's have dropped down. Trans works fine in auto and the paddle shift works okay under normal driving. Got any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan Dement

Dan,

We do not have an answer for this complaint at this time. We have spent some time with the Valve body & circuit design. We have a approach that we are going to take to address some of these issues. No proven data or fixes just yet. Until it's fixed it's all just talk..

Thanks, Mark

adam205348 06-09-2009 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by StoneOakDan (Post 1570372217)
Mark,

Thanks,
Dan Dement

Is this only in 1st gear or this also happens in 2nd and 3rd? Have you tried to slowly bring the car up to 6000 and see if it will shift. I know there is a delay in the shift with the Factory tune and in 1st you almost have to press the up shift button at 5000 rpm to keep it from hitting the rev limiter because the car revs so quickly. In 2nd gear it is not AS bad but you still will have to shift 500 or so rpm before you actually want it to shift to have it shift at the actual rpm you want it to. The tune can be adjusted by Chuck or anyone else that knows what they are doing and able to make a ton better but it will never be INSTANTANEOUS.

mark@TGO 06-09-2009 12:22 AM

WOT shifts

Originally Posted by adam205348 (Post 1570381925)
Is this only in 1st gear or this also happens in 2nd and 3rd? Have you tried to slowly bring the car up to 6000 and see if it will shift. I know there is a delay in the shift with the Factory tune and in 1st you almost have to press the up shift button at 5000 rpm to keep it from hitting the rev limiter because the car revs so quickly. In 2nd gear it is not AS bad but you still will have to shift 500 or so rpm before you actually want it to shift to have it shift at the actual rpm you want it to. The tune can be adjusted by Chuck or anyone else that knows what they are doing and able to make a ton better but it will never be INSTANTANEOUS.

Dan,

It would be very difficult to make the shifts instantaneous with out tearing up the gear train of the trans. The transmission needs some type of regulation or accumulation during a gear change for durability. Regulation of any type creates some shift time lag.

During my high school years when I first started working on automatics I thought I was so smart. My hot rods shifted with bang into gear so hard & they would always peel rubber. Eventually I got sick of replacing the trans every 3-6 months from internal destruction. The result of eliminating all regulation during the shift. Yeah, I was real smart....not.

Mark

adam205348 06-09-2009 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by mark@TGO (Post 1570382073)
Dan,

It would be very difficult to make the shifts instantaneous with out tearing up the gear train of the trans. The transmission needs some type of regulation or accumulation during a gear change for durability. Regulation of any type creates some shift time lag.

During my high school years when I first started working on automatics I thought I was so smart. My hot rods shifted with bang into gear so hard & they would always peel rubber. Eventually I got sick of replacing the trans every 3-6 months from internal destruction. The result of eliminating all regulation during the shift. Yeah, I was real smart....not.

Mark

LOL, I know exactly what you mean mark. I have rebuilt man turbo 350's and 400's and always with your shift kits installed to make it the most positive and agressive shifts possible. THANKS MARK.... jk

mark@TGO 06-09-2009 12:38 AM

Shifts

Originally Posted by adam205348 (Post 1570382097)
LOL, I know exactly what you mean mark. I have rebuilt man turbo 350's and 400's and always with your shift kits installed to make it the most positive and agressive shifts possible. THANKS MARK.... jk

Dan,

Our kits are engineered to provide max shift firmness with out sacrificing durability while providing greater longevity. We could make them shift a lot harder. The end result would be a trans with less durability & a product with diminished value. It's simply not in our blood to go that route.

Mark

adam205348 06-09-2009 12:48 AM

Yeah I know Mark I was just messing with you. You products have always been great and I cannot wait to see what you guys come up with for the 6L80.