CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Best way to keep your tires black.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/2284640-best-way-to-keep-your-tires-black.html)

kingsey 03-25-2009 12:15 AM

Best way to keep your tires black....

Is tire black crap in a spray bottle the only way?

It seems to make the tires almost sticky on the sidewalls and only lasts whats seems like 2 days untill the dark nice black color is gone.:willy:

Jacks02 03-25-2009 12:25 AM

I use "Son-of-a Gun" applied with a rag. There's no "cast-off" to get on your fenders, it lasts, and leaves no sticky residue to soil your clothes. I also use it on my Chevy pickup's black back bumper top, and it looks fresh for months in this climate. Try it, you'll like it!

USA1 427 03-25-2009 12:31 AM

Adam's VRT (vinyl, rubber, tire) works real well. :thumbs:

mvvette97 03-25-2009 02:04 AM

I use Forever Black. wipe it on and let it dry, no slick mess so no dirt will stick to it. Looks like a new tire after your done. It doesn't make the tire shine but makes it a deep black just like a brand new tire is.

Alaskanpilot 03-25-2009 02:12 AM

Zaino fan here. Their tire dressing doesn't sling, and brings back a deep, black finish without that gaudy super-shine.

capevettes 03-25-2009 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot (Post 1569432854)
Zaino fan here. Their tire dressing doesn't sling, and brings back a deep, black finish without that gaudy super-shine.

:iagree: I also use the Zaino Z16. Matte finish and doesn't sling. Just make sure your tires are very clean before applying. I've got to admit though, it doesn't last like the rest of the Zaino line.

Tom/99 03-25-2009 08:21 AM

I just wash mine with dish washing liquid.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/Tom99/04wheel.jpg

dvilin 03-25-2009 09:07 AM

I like Adams VRT.

ZaneO 03-25-2009 10:17 AM

The key is deep cleaning them and keeping them cleaned regularly so your dressing will adhere and absorb properly. I prefer to use a water-based dressing for looks and longevity of the rubber.

Zaino Z16 and Adams VRT are my favorites.

stig-zzz 03-25-2009 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1569434142)
I like Adams VRT.

:iagree:me 2:thumbs:

TOGWT 03-25-2009 03:40 PM

Browning - if the tyres are parked for extended periods the antiozonant and oils dry out, as a result, the tyre begins to crack and rot. After it works its way to the outside of the tyre and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

Tyre Cleaners - For any type of protectant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. A tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

It should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse tyres, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year - HiTemp Tyre Cleaner

For more information see article “Tyre Cleaning & Care” in the Detailing School section of Detailing Bliss forum...

USA1 427 03-25-2009 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TOGWT (Post 1569438797)
Browning - if the tyres are parked for extended periods the antiozonant and oils dry out, as a result, the tyre begins to crack and rot. After it works its way to the outside of the tyre and is exposed to the ozone in the air, it turns brown. The technical term for this effect is blooming.

Tyre Cleaners - For any type of protectant to work well on rubber first remove any brake dust, road tar, grease and grime, wax and dead rubber from the surface to properly clean it. A tyre cleaner needs to be strong enough to tackle a heavy build-up of tyre dressings and road grime, but not damage wheel coatings.

It should clean the tyres down to the original rubber surface, this is especially important when you apply a new dressing, as dressings won't adhere to, or create the right shine on dirty rubber. This tyre cleaner is a strong concentrate; spray-and-rinse tyres, without scrubbing, if you are starting on an old, neglected surface, use a fairly stiff tyre brush for the first application and a spray & rinse at least 3-4 times a year - HiTemp Tyre Cleaner

For more information see article “Tyre Cleaning & Care” in the Detailing School section of Detailing Bliss forum...

Not sure I'd trust an article about "tyre cleaning" if they can't even spell TIRE! :lol:

loflite 03-25-2009 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Z06RL (Post 1569439358)
Not sure I'd trust an article about "tyre cleaning" if they can't even spell TIRE! :lol:

Tyre is the British way of spelling it.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 03-25-2009 05:45 PM

While we carry many tire gels, sprays, and liquids to use weekly to keep tires black. I have found one coat of Poorboys Trim Restorer actually seals tires for weeks and keeps them black and glossy.

http://www.autogeek.net/pbtr16.html

USA1 427 03-25-2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by loflite (Post 1569440176)

Well, now, that doesn't make any sense at all considering we speak the same language. But then again, I just learned something new. :thumbs:

03 Z-oh-6 03-25-2009 08:44 PM

1. Tire and rubber cleaner w/ tire brush.

2. Mothers FX Tire shine(black matte finish)

TOGWT 03-26-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Z06RL (Post 1569440889)
Well, now, that doesn't make any sense at all considering we speak the same language. But then again, I just learned something new. :thumbs:

Tyre and Care Cleaning
Tyres: [: Tyres or Tires- English and American English respectively]

For more spelling errors see the 80+ in-depth detailing article on Detailing Bliss

[Two great countries, separated only by a common language]

Novat_99 03-26-2009 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot (Post 1569432854)

:iagree:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p.../IMG_1444a.jpg

Blue Lightening 03-26-2009 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Z06RL (Post 1569440889)

Its fun to hang around and listen to the Britts talk...They refer to elevators as lifts and the hood on your Corvette is called a bonnet. As for tires I am a Z16 fan because it looks good and doesn't sling.

Crusher 03-26-2009 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by loflite (Post 1569440176)

Just checked...........this is America.

BTW....ZAINO Is my choice.