CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Keys locked in my Z06 with a dead battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2263681-keys-locked-in-my-z06-with-a-dead-battery.html)

Corellian Vette 03-01-2009 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by RICH 28 (Post 1569133898)
Hard to believe Chevy uses only three different keys. Don't leave any valuables inside. Too many people have the key.

Your telling me that GM has only 3 keys for the C6?

ntrimm 03-01-2009 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270 (Post 1569122993)
Ok here is my story. Sad but true. I wanted to take the Vette out for a spin to stretch its legs today and I found out the wife had not been starting it periodically when I asked her to. I know I should have bought a trickle battery and I will. SHe did do it once and left the keys in the car for the next time. So I go out and notice the battery is dead. No biggie, I will get the spare set. Well I go to use it and find out that the key the dealer gave me is not the right key for my Z06, it is for a yellow vert. The outside envelope said my car, but the tag on the key said otherwise. Now I cannot get into my car to pop the hood to charge the battery and I have no keys to manually open the door. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

If the dealer gave you a wrong key, go back to dealer and get the correct key. If they do not have it, demand they make you a new fob from the VIN.

RICH 28 03-01-2009 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 (Post 1569134312)
And most Corvette owners are gonna pilfer your - or my - Vette? I think you need serious therapy. :willy:

Besides, when all too many C6 owners don't even know there's a key slot back there, how many "distrustful" C5 owners are going to know?

I was being facetious.

george vee 03-01-2009 08:59 PM

The next time we are at a corvette meet we should all try our key on each others car to see if we get a match.

curvesman 03-01-2009 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by george vee (Post 1569135173)
The next time we are at a corvette meet we should all try our key on each others car to see if we get a match.

:iagree::bigears

GN1270 03-01-2009 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by cclive (Post 1569134570)
I'll bet that they just gave you the correct key for the car:thumbs:

I thought that too so I charged the car and the fob does not work.

GN1270 03-01-2009 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by ntrimm (Post 1569134878)
If the dealer gave you a wrong key, go back to dealer and get the correct key. If they do not have it, demand they make you a new fob from the VIN.

I bought the car from a forum dealer far away. They told me they were sorry and to bring the wrong fob to my nearest dealer and they would reprogram it and they would obviously cover any costs involved.

GotChrist? 03-01-2009 10:54 PM

Remove one of the tail lamps to get to the bulb. Remove the bulb from the socket. Place two pieces of safety wire or two straightened paper clips in you battery charger's alligator clips; one for each clip being careful not to touch them together. Place one wire into one of the pins in the bult socket, and place the other in one of the others. Try your trunk button above the license plate. If that doesn't work, move teh pins around. You only have 3 options. The trunk will be powered and you can get in to your car.

John

jimmyb 03-01-2009 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by GN1270 (Post 1569133589)
I just called my buddy who repos cars. He told me to take the key from the Yellow Vert and try to open the hatch of my Z06 with it. Sure enough the damn thing fit and it popped right open. He told me he thinks there are only 3 key combos on Vette hatches and I had a 33% chance and won. Of course its snowing here now so the damn thing probably wont leave my garage for another month,:ack:

Call me crazy...if I had another key...I would...just for the fun of it...try it and see if it works. And once you get the battery charged, you might want to try that 2nd FOB and see if it works, mislabeled or not.

And this 3 key combos for all corvettes has GREAT potential for becoming THE urban legend of C6's.

Jimmy

ToRedVettes 03-01-2009 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by RICH 28 (Post 1569133898)
Hard to believe Chevy uses only three different keys. Don't leave any valuables inside. Too many people have the key.

Shhhhh! Don't let that get out.;)

cclive 03-02-2009 12:44 AM

I'm confused now, I thought we were talking about metal keys, not fobs. You can easily program any fob to work with your car, just follow the instructions in the owners manual...no need to go near a dealer, you can do it yourself in your garage in 30 minutes.:thumbs:

001CamaroSS 07-20-2010 10:08 PM

Mine is just as bad. If anyone can give me a hand, I literally just locked my key and fob in the trunk of my car, apparently too far away to be able to unlock. I'm angry lol ugh. Any suggestions? Sadly I dropped them back there putting ice in my car, so now I also have ice melting onto my carpet!

Full Metal Jacket 07-20-2010 10:54 PM

whats this key thing everyone talks about? I only got a FOB when I got my car??

And if the battery goes dead does your car automatically lock itself or is it that the door handles wont open?

001CamaroSS 07-20-2010 10:58 PM

Maybe both, your biggest problem would be it doesn't matter much since your door handles not working are basically your car being locked. However if your trunk isn't locked you can pull the pin from the inside of it. In my case...I cannot AND the ice is still melting all over it. I hate my life...