CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Can a '63 327 be turned into a 383? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2170679-can-a-63-327-be-turned-into-a-383-a.html)

Scott Marzahl 10-30-2008 04:11 PM

I would certainly have it sonic tested first to see how much material you have to grind for clearancing, and consider installing the 3 center Pro-Gram main caps if you plan on making much HP with it.

gary kettlitz 10-30-2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by firstgear (Post 1567656897)
the reason to do it would be to keep a numbers matching motor with the car.....

Might it be a good idea to put that engine in the garage, get a crate motor for playing (Can't you even get numbers stamped now?)? Or buy another matching number (+/-) block/motor and modify it....

I'm not a big #'s person (mine's not), but it seems a shame to modify an original engine...:flag:

My .02
gary

Hitch 10-30-2008 10:22 PM

Many before you have contemplated this same feat... Unfortunately core shift is a bitch.. QC was not what it is today. I would recommend against using a numbers block regardless of the plans for the car. It is only a numbers matching car once. This I don't believe will have the results that you desire. I know of at least 2 blocks that have been wasted in vane to try to achieve what you are thinking about. Dave

wesmigletz 10-30-2008 11:19 PM

Our car was just a low-horse/automatic "secretary's" car. Since it had neither the collectibility nor the performance of a SHP car, I didn't mind modifying it.

The original engine had already been bored .030" over, so I had it honed to .040" over. We used pro-gram main caps, and 6.0" Manley SJ rods. The block required minimal clearancing for the crank. I would recommend having it internally balanced.

Our car has no cooling or driveability issues. The engine makes 18" of vacuum @ 800 RPM, and averaged 17.5 mpg when we drove it to Bowling Green in May. The car runs stronger than before, but to be honest, hasn't met my performance expectations. Were I to do it again, I would build a LS motor. However, I got to admit it's fun to take the #s matching engine to the track and beat on it.

Hitch 10-30-2008 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by wesmigletz (Post 1567672288)
Our car was just a low-horse/automatic "secretary's" car. Since it had neither the collectibility nor the performance of a SHP car, I didn't mind modifying it.

The original engine had already been bored .030" over, so I had it honed to .040" over. We used pro-gram main caps, and 6.0" Manley SJ rods. The block required minimal clearancing for the crank. I would recommend having it internally balanced.

Our car has no cooling or driveability issues. The engine makes 18" of vacuum @ 800 RPM, and averaged 17.5 mpg when we drove it to Bowling Green in May. The car runs stronger than before, but to be honest, hasn't met my performance expectations. Were I to do it again, I would build a LS motor. However, I got to admit it's fun to take the #s matching engine to the track and beat on it.

Hey did you get your heads yet???? Btw I got 2 emails from you that didn't appear legit... I think you have a virus....:crazy:

wesmigletz 10-30-2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hitch (Post 1567672333)
Hey did you get your heads yet???? Btw I got 2 emails from you that didn't appear legit... I think you have a virus....:crazy:

I'll send you a PM. Regarding the virus, I think I got it taken care of.

Scott Marzahl 10-31-2008 01:59 AM

Wes, you just need some Nitrous on that motor. It really makes a stroker spool up quick. BTW, you been to the track lately?

wesmigletz 10-31-2008 11:57 AM

Scott, I sent you a PM. I drove the 62 to Famoso on the 19th for the Summit Racing Series, then again on the 25th and 26th for the ANRA Finals. Made it to the 1/4 finals. I got to run off to jury duty. I'll catch up with you later.

Wes